Forum > Off-Topic Items

Crazy, different food, females and what's cooking in your place....

(1/4) > >>

robert angel:
You guys have foods your girl friends or wives eat or even prepare at home, things from their native countries? Maybe stuff you let them enjoy, but don't eat yourselves?

Has your wife learned to cook USA and other nation's styles of cooking? My wife has, and quite well with most of them.

Honest--who does the cooking? Is it any good? Getting better?

Things like food processors, microwave ovens and dishwashing machines--hell, even washing machines and regular ovens---was she used to them? We've never used our dishwasher, we do use the microwave, regular stove/oven, BBQ and the blender, but the fancy, too many parts 'food processor'--that was a waste of good money.

But in my wife's country, a staple for the poor people is dried fish. Actually,  it was also a staple in Italy for my Grandparents when they were poor kids, so I guess that it, in it's typically salty, smelly form, it gets around.

My Grandma used to slip it into her otherwise great, Italian style salads, but while it was pretty rank I thought, it wasn't that awful. You could eat around it.

But the Filipino version is pretty awful IMO. And being something every Filipino, rich or poor alike has eaten, naturally it can be found in ethnic stores here.

My wife buys it, and I keep it tripled bagged in three freezer zip lock storage bags. Don't even allow it on the BBQ grill---she has a little camping stove for when she needs her dried fish food 'fix', and she eats it outside too. Even the grill stays outside, in the corner of the yard, wrapped in two thick gauge plasric bags. The smell permeates anything it's around.

But most of us have probably encountered foods abroad or even at home, that'd strike most people as 'different'. There's one---I've eaten it--it's a 'delicacy' that's served on most city and village streets in the Philippines, called 'Balut' Balut is an egg, that with a fairly well developed duck embryo still within it, is incubated, really 'fermented' for 14 to 21 days, then eaten, preferably washed down with beer, although any beverage will do.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balut_(food)

https://www.google.com/search?q=balut&oq=balut&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l3.3059j0j8&client=tablet-android-samsung&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#imgrc=0j7xt68fnAkRnM:

Balut, like the the popular fruit 'durian' is also thought to have aphrodisiac properties. But durian, while popular and available everywhere there, has a smell, a stinky, swarmy, over powering odor that's soooo strong that most, even the cheapest hotels, have signs prohibiting it from being allowed in rooms. Don't even think about bringing some home on a plane.

You peel the dinosaur looking outer coating, then peel out the oily fruit and you know you're into something, alright..

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Durian

First time I ate it, I was outside and I began to sweat profusely and almost passed out.

The smell could knock a vulture off a truck full of rotting corpses.

But hey, it'll never be in our house!

Sooooo---what's cooking around your place?

Post Script. Wife's going to some big  "Digital Summit" in Atlanta tomorrow, be back Thursday - - her company made her  "eCommerce Manager" for their products coast to coast, Mexico, USA & Canada. So I don't starve in the meantime, she's been in the kitchen, chop, chop chopping, has a 4 pound chuck roast in the slow cooker (she seared the beef first) with onions, celery, carrots and potatoes to go in sequentially. She's chopped up strawberries, cantaloupe, mangoes, apples and bananas, enough for a week of smoothies, all Tupperware sealed.

BUT, I heard an unusual sound... The food processor I said she never uses! She took raw, steel cut oats and making her own flour with it, made banana bread. Coming back to the bedroom, she looked kinda sad, saying "I have a confession"... She forgot to add sugar!! Oh well, it's actually pretty good and it's its chock full of healthy fiber!!!

Jhengsman:
My wife from Las Pinas, Metro Manila somehow picked up gumbo. Maybe as a challenge since I contended that nobody made it like my father's best friend from New Orleans. So now instead of being a special occasion holiday dish we are getting it on a regular basis. Except for the eggs I am eating pretty much all the Pinoy dishes. Although at a party I am looking for a micro-wave. The habit of preparing one dish at a time and sitting it aside to get cold can now be defeated

utopiacowboy:
I do all the cooking or we go out. My wife cooks a couple of times a year.

robert angel:

--- Quote from: utopiacowboy on May 21, 2018, 07:41:12 AM ---I do all the cooking or we go out. My wife cooks a couple of times a year.

--- End quote ---

Now that I'm retired as of Friday, I've learned some new recipes to prepare.

So far,  I've got ice cubes and boiling water down pat.

benjio:

--- Quote from: robert angel on May 21, 2018, 12:46:03 PM ---Now that I'm retired as of Friday, I've learned some new recipes to prepare.

So far,  I've got ice cubes and boiling water down pat.

--- End quote ---

Try your hand at buttered toast next. I believe in you Robert.  ;D ;D ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version