Forum > Forum News and Announcements

Guidelines for Civil Discourse

(1/2) > >>

Dan:
Borrowed from MSN, these guidelines should be helpful as a reference source:

* Recognize a person’s right to advocate ideas that are different from your own
* Discuss policies, issues and ideas, not people - and especially not individual PL members
* Disagree without being disagreeable
* Use civil and helpful, not hurtful language (such as name-calling)
* Respectfully respond to differing points of view
* When unsure of what another poster means by what they have written, ask for clarification
* Realize that what you write and what people understand you have written may be different. Be patient and explain yourself again if other posters misinterpret your meaning - particularly here at PL where members have a variety of native languages, yet are doing their best to communicate in the common language of American English
* Recognize that sometimes people can and must agree to disagree
* If you are not sure what you are about to say is civil, find another way to say it or let it go
* Reliance on labels for groups of people is often the first step toward the negative. Whenever possible, avoid them. They rarely add to the quality of any discussion
* Put yourself in the other person's shoes as best as possible, to see things from a different perspective - theirs
* Give an additional benefit of doubt to a person whose first language is not English
Any others you would like to see added to the list?

- Dan

Dave H:
Hey Dan,

How about:

Give an additional benefit of doubt to a person who has certified brain damage.  ;D

Dave

Bear:
Yeah Dave but who would decide who was brain damaged?  Democrats or Republicans?

The Bear Family

Jeff S:
Speaking as a strict libertarian. I vote for Dave as brain damaged. All in favor say aye, those opposed, say nay:

Dave H:

--- Quote from: Bear on April 28, 2009, 08:26:10 PM ---Yeah Dave but who would decide who was brain damaged?  Democrats or Republicans?

The Bear Family

--- End quote ---

I think I'd better just submit medical records!  ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version