It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: Just how dangerous are cities in comparison to any other large city worldwide?  (Read 1501 times)

Offline kai #2

• The Traveling Swordsman
  • Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: 4 - 10
I here this all the time,"Be careful in [insert city], it's dangerous and don't go out at night". Afterwards they'll post a story of a friend or friend of a friend  and how he / she got mugged or killed. I'm not going to sit here and say it doesn't happen but this stuff happens every where and all the time, I can easily say the same thing about downtown Dallas. What makes any one city more dangerous than any other city outside of the US? I'm sure when people abroad want to come to the US they're friends are saying ,"don't stay out to late and stay away from the black people, they'll rob you. I saw it on TV". Of course you have to exercise caution when traveling but you have to do that here in the States as well. People traveling abroad say the police are corrupt, sh*t, they're corrupt here too.
Ultimately just how much more dangerous are cities in comparison to any other large city anywhere in the world, keeping a rough 1:1 population ratio?

Offline Jhengsman

• Spouse's Country: The Philippines
It is not just the criminal to citizen ratio nor the speed of police response but little things like not understanding the local body language. For example the Filipino and other Southeast Asian hand signal for come here looks a lot like go away to an American. Little touches like that and not understanding the local language may cause you to confidently stride into trouble you were not expecting. if you are recognizable from another race which the local folklore considers rich, otherwise how would you have gotten there,  then you may be seen as a more lucrative target than a housewife walking the same block.

Offline InnocentVixen

• Trips: 1 - 3
I am bad with numbers so I can't help you there. But I want to share 2 things:

1- hubby was in Afghanistan literally being shot at when he decided to move to Mexico to be with me, his workmates reactions? "you are going to get killed over there!!!"

2- while growing up I would limit myself to quick shopping trips with my parents to the USA because I was scared of all the serial killers and I still think american schools are dangerous.

The way I see it now is that everywhere has areas and people you should avoid, but then again I stopped watching tv years ago and traveled a bit so the media coco-wash is gone.

Jhengs has some very valid points to consider.

Planet-Love.com

Offline kai #2

It is not just the criminal to citizen ratio nor the speed of police response but little things like not understanding the local body language. For example the Filipino and other Southeast Asian hand signal for come here looks a lot like go away to an American. Little touches like that and not understanding the local language may cause you to confidently stride into trouble you were not expecting. if you are recognizable from another race which the local folklore considers rich, otherwise how would you have gotten there,  then you may be seen as a more lucrative target than a housewife walking the same block.

That's what I've kind of picked up on. Being an Afro-American traveler, I'm simply not a prime target

Offline piglett

• your porkness
  • Spouse's Country: The Philippines
  • Trips: 1 - 3

That's what I've kind of picked up on. Being an Afro-American traveler, I'm simply not a prime target

if your a wimpy skinny looking little dude your a target in any city

i am so much taller than all of the other guys in the islands i have never had a problem

i did have one really rough looking guy giving me the "stare" while in Manila

i gave him a big smile & he smiled back

he was just testing me to see what i was made of

PSA 101:7 No one who practices deceit will dwell in my house; no one who
speaks falsely will stand in my presence.

http://s927.photobucket.com/albums/ad117/piglett2195/

Offline kai #2

Yes luckily that's not me. Si it's never bothered me. I'm aware of what kind of people thugs like to target. I'm not a soft target lol

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5876
Latest: ponttfsch
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 133132
Total Topics: 7864
Most Online Today: 113