It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: Visa Question  (Read 1247 times)

Offline bcc_1_2

• Spouse's Country: Other Latin America
  • Trips: None (yet)
Visa Question
« on: June 24, 2013, 08:55:06 PM »
The form I am thinking of is the Affidavit of Support form. I was going over all the BS involved in the process and was explaining to a friend that he needs to show he can support his woman and that she won't be using things like food stamps when she gets here. He makes good money now but a couple years ago he made hardly anything while going to grad school. Now I thought they look back 3 years and now that makes us both nervous. But I think it is not that big of a deal... and to be extra safe he can probably just use a parent as a secondary sponsor? Does that sound right? I mean basically all we are saying is that if this chica starts using things like food stamps the sponsor has to pay for that stuff until she leaves, is a citizen, or has been here for something like 5 or 10 years. Am I on track??
I can't imagine they'd hold grad school against him a couple years back, but I figure just be safe and put his dad on the form. I am encouraging him to know all this stuff before his chica arrives to visit on a b2.
Retiring in Tela, Honduras is 14,600 days (haha)

Offline DesmondID

• Spouse's Country: Colombia
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Re: Visa Question
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 09:57:35 PM »
You are mostly correct...

Assuming he is going to file the the I-864ez the most important thing is to supply proof of current income and the most recent tax return. Another 2 years back is also recommended but he most important thing is the current income. If your friends income is currently over 125% of poverty level for the number of dependents he should be fine.

Signing the form obligates the sponsor to repay the government for any benefits (I believe means tested benefits). Several times it has also been used to increase divorce alimony to 125% of poverty (a crock but it has been done). Once she is a citizen or has 10 years of work (40 quarters of social security payments) then it no longer applies.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 09:59:19 PM by DesmondID »

Offline thekfc

• No man was ever wise by chance. Seneca
  • Spouse's Country: The Philippines
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 09:28:51 AM »
 Actually there is more to it than that.

It is not 10 years of work but 40 qualifying quarters (credit) of work.

A person can work and still do not earn a qualifying quarter/credit of work – you must make a certain amount of $ to earn a qualifying quarter.

The most credit you can earn in 1 year is 4 credits and some people usually earn 4 credits yearly and earn the 40 qualifying quarters in 10 years (I earn the 40 credits in my first 10 years of working) – it takes some people longer to earn the 40 qualifying credits.

If we were all forced to wear a warning label, what would yours say?

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 09:28:51 AM »

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5876
Latest: ponttfsch
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats