It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: Why So Much Colombia?  (Read 26542 times)

Offline Zon

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: None (yet)
Why So Much Colombia?
« on: March 30, 2008, 10:18:46 AM »
As in the case with this board's sister site, RussianWomenDiscussion.com, I see a preponderance of one country represented in most of the posting.  In the first case, Ukraine is referred to as the "wife basket" of the world.  There is almost now discussion of Czech Republic; Hungary; Romania; or Moldovia.

Similarly, here there are many references to Columbia.  There is little reference to Argentina, Chile, Brazil.

I am JUST becoming familiar, so I ask the question - WHY?

(Thank you in advance for your patience ... I will likely ask many stupid questions in the begining)

« Last Edit: March 30, 2008, 12:21:09 PM by rivardco »

Offline Montrealer

RE: Why So Much Colombia?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2008, 10:25:40 AM »
Take a trip to Colombia, and then a trip to other latin american countries, then you will see why Colombia is the favorite.  The women, IMO, are some of the best the world has to offer as for beauty.
Send more divers, the last ones tasted great!  -  JAWS

Offline Jeff S

• Global Moderator
  • Spouse's Country: Japan
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2008, 11:32:35 AM »
Colombia also has a lot of agencies, so someone less than familiar with the language and travel can have arrangements made, interviews and interpreters arranged, etc. In most of the other countries, you're on your own.

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2008, 11:32:35 AM »

Offline daytrader

• ** mui feliz **
    • Mechanical Trader
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2008, 12:15:08 PM »
why Colombians? 

....good family values....mui romantico...mui elegante....and you have your choice of many different skin tones depending on what area of the country you are in...European features or Spanish features or Indian features, take your pick....tall, short...in-between...many women own their own businesses, are intelligent, self motivated or you can find the nurturing, stay at home type...whichever you prefer.

Last time I was in Bogota I did not see ONE overweight woman while there for FIVE days. Heck, in Miami International airport you'll see five heifers in 5 seconds.....and 3 women dressed like prostitutes in 30 seconds...and THOSE are the college girls. 

DayTrader

Jessep: You want answers?
Kaffee (Tom Cruise): I think I'm entitled to them.
Kaffee: I want the truth!
Jessep: You can't handle the truth!

Offline Zon

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2008, 12:28:07 PM »
So ... basically ... its the best.  Shut up and enjoy.  (I get it)

First off, I am not a puss.  I don't mind an adventure.  I don't mind risk and consequences - scars heal.

BUT!

I recently met with my web developer in Florida who had been missing for 3 months.  I actually scanned the obituaries in his county, because I called him 50 times with no answer.  We are freinds, so I thought something was very very wrong.

I called every three days and I was surprised his cell phone was stil receiving messages.

He is a Columbian born American.  His mother was from Columbia, and went back to live about a year ago ... because the money went farther (from what I understand). To make a long and terrifying story very short.  She was kidnapped. And he spend two and a half months negotiating her release. 

So, I put an asterisks on the idea of traveling to Columbia.

Any input?

Offline daytrader

• ** mui feliz **
    • Mechanical Trader
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2008, 12:44:15 PM »
I hire a driver/interpreter when in Cali....avoid outside ATM's...

Colombians are the ones getting kidnapped by FARC...unless you are doing something stupid, like flashing dinero and talking about your rich uncle, you should be fine...just get advice from the agency people, stick to the tour schedule...and travel in pairs or double date.  I really like having my own private driver for the week, it's the best.  The agency will take care of you from the airport to the city if you don' t have  a driver....

Taking a taxi from the taxi stand can be risky in Cali ...robberies have been known to happen..and the same thing in Medellin, since the city is far from the airport.  Bogota is MUCH safer than when I was last there...in the city of Cali and Bogota I always felt safe during the day.   Things have gotten a little wild in Cali in the past year, but just use your head and remember you are in a big city.  If you carry cash, use a moneybelt, otherwise use plastic and have no more than $150 US in Colombian pesos on you at any time.  Wachovia Bank and Paypal only charge 1% over the exchange rate when charging overseas...that's a great deal.   If you use a taxi, have lots of small bills -- the driver will say they don't have change for your big Colombian note.  Avoid public atm's...use atms in the Mall. Have the agency or a latina on a date help you with that (its' fun!) -- you'll see how she is at teaching you something you may not know. 

Four defining things about Colombians;
> does she have kid(s)?
> does she know some english?
> does she own a car?
> does she have a US tourist visa? 

In Bogota you will find MANY women that have 3 of th 4 at least.  Owning a car means she is middle class...having a visa means she can take care of her needs and she or her family owns a home or has assets.  It's just a screening item;  nothing wrong with meeting a lady that lacks finances, she is capable of making you just as happy. 

Bring nice clothes when going out in Bogota, the women can dress to the max and your competition (latin guys) always dress well.  Otherwise, you're in nice blue jeans and a long sleeve shirt at night because it gets cool in the mountains.

If you meet a bunch of nice Costa Ricans on the web, (there isn't much an agency presence down there) just hop a plane and go down....it's very americanized...heck the radio stations play American music 90% of the time!  Lots of Americans in the San Jose area and lots of websites and Forums to guide you if you want to stay there a while. 

Go google news and type in "Uribe"  or "FARC"  and you will see all the positive things happening in Colombia lately. Crime, kidnapping is WAY WAY DOWN!  Medellin is much better than in the 90's...no comparison. 

DayTrader

Offline Jeff S

• Global Moderator
  • Spouse's Country: Japan
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2008, 01:00:54 PM »
Here's something I wrote about picking a country on the Asian board. It applies to Latin America also: http://www.planet-love.com/forum/index.php?topic=2968.msg29019#msg29019

There have been many, many threads about safety in Colombia. If you search the words: safety Colombia (with an O not a U) you'll find all sorts of opinions, suggestions, and discussion.

Offline Zon

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2008, 02:08:43 PM »
I am mentally progressive fast. 

So Columbia equals Ukraine ---
just much closer; easier immigration; and more bridgeable culture / language. 

OK.

What about agencies?  I know there are good girls in bad agencies and bad girls in good agencies.  In my ideal world ....

I would prefer to use an intermediary as little as necessary.   I know that assumes more risks in many different ways.  I presume there are reliable consultants that I could use a little or alot depending on my needs.  The only reason I would like work with an agency is for the compilation of ladies that they have worked to assemble.

An initial trip should be a vacation and no rush to fall in love; at least for me. 

I would prefer to meet many women from a variety of mechanisms just to establish re pore.  Then, some letter back and forth would go a good way to establish compatibility.  And Columbia is very close.  Much Closer than Russia.

By the way,  the costs for a trip like I described above is +/-3,000 - 4,000. I presume costs are much less for Columbia,  No es Verdad?

Thank you for your continued guidance ....

Offline daytrader

• ** mui feliz **
    • Mechanical Trader
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2008, 03:01:36 PM »
I am mentally progressive fast. 

So Columbia equals Ukraine ---
just much closer; easier immigration; and more bridgeable culture / language. 

OK.

What about agencies?  I know there are good girls in bad agencies and bad girls in good agencies.  In my ideal world ....

I would prefer to use an intermediary as little as necessary.   I know that assumes more risks in many different ways.  I presume there are reliable consultants that I could use a little or alot depending on my needs.  The only reason I would like work with an agency is for the compilation of ladies that they have worked to assemble.

An initial trip should be a vacation and no rush to fall in love; at least for me. 

I would prefer to meet many women from a variety of mechanisms just to establish re pore.  Then, some letter back and forth would go a good way to establish compatibility.  And Columbia is very close.  Much Closer than Russia.

By the way,  the costs for a trip like I described above is +/-3,000 - 4,000. I presume costs are much less for Columbia,  No es Verdad?

Thank you for your continued guidance ....

do a search of "LLM"  or "latin lifemates"  on this Forum, you will retrieve a ton of information that may prove helpful. 

check out this website...

http://latinlifemates.com/tours/schedule.asp

If I had to do it all over again, this would be my plan...

give them a call about their 'tours'..(do a search for latinlifemates on this Forum for more info)....with the rotten exchange rate lately, maybe you will be out $1500 to $2000 for a trip max.  There is another agency next door to LLM also.   Get your feet wet in Bogota, make it a vacation like you said...then work latinamericancupid or colombiancupid along with the tour contacts.   The agencies will be pitching you a Executive Membership or something like that...I would just work the tour and work the websites hard for a few months .....on your second trip down work your leads from the agency and the websites....since you have some decent espanol skills you should be feeling comfortable on the 2nd trip.  The websites might motivate you to Cali or Medellin if you choose to visit. 

Avianca is the main airline to Colombia...if you fly into Bogota - meet some women there,then hop over to Cali or Medellin before leaving Bogota, Avianca can connect you pretty inexpensively with direct flights to all major cities in Colombia.  Then, clean up your contacts when you return to Bogota (after Medellin, for example)  you fly home from Bogota.   The second trip might be 2 or 3 weeks.  The third trip (if it occurs) would be pairing your list down to the top 2 or 3 that you are crazy about. 

We will all sit back and enjoy reading your trip reports!   jajaja!!!

DayTrader

« Last Edit: March 30, 2008, 03:05:12 PM by daytrader »

Offline Researcher

• The Perfect Match!
  • Spouse's Country: Colombia
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2008, 03:29:35 PM »

Rivardco,

I don't know if you caught it earlier but someone corrected your spelling of Colombia.It is spelled with an "o" not "u".Not a big deal, just letting you know.I myself have been all over Colombia and have been a member of several agencies.My spanish is pretty good, enough to carry on a conversation as long as the other person doesn't talk too fast. I really didn't have to use an agency but I liked the fact that they have alot of women that are there looking for someone also.Bogota was my choice because there just seemed to be more of the type of women I liked (educated and classy).I used the agency next door to LLM.Its called Latin American Introductions.Both are good agencies IMO.

Some guys here have found good women in Peru and Ecuador and didn't use an agency.You might want to "stay tuned" and here from them(Kiltboy and SingleFather, where are you?).These guys will have some good advice for you and some alternative ways to meet women.

Not everyone here likes agencies and I can understand their reasons.Its not for everyone but it works for some.
Every man has his own courage, and is betrayed because he seeks in himself the courage of other persons. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline dennislevy

• pick a realistic goal and do it.
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2008, 04:24:28 PM »

Rivardco.

Everyone's advice has been solid.  I know quite a bit abut the two agencies In Bogota that have been mentioned, Latin life Mates, and Latin American Introductions, and I have  s a pretty good understnaidng of the advantages and disadvantages of meeting Colombian women through agencies in the other cities in Colombia.

if you want to call  me, i'm at 520-425-5338

Dennis

Offline Henry

• Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2008, 05:41:30 PM »
I used to chat with women online from Romania before the IMBRA was passed. I was not impressed. They were mental, getting angry over little comments cause they took them the wrong way and wouldnt get over it. They seem like they were loose women who had had relationships with many countless men already. I could tell from our extended conversations that these women didnt actually only have sex with one guy like they'd told me, especially when they outright tell me how jaded they already were with relationships by saying "NEXT" when they were telling me about "when boys make them upset." I dont need some jaded loose woman in my life. And a couple of them didnt take me seriously until they realized they could get a ticket to the USA.

As for Chile and Argentina, I'd love to see more posted on those countries personally. I doubt many of the women from those two countries would want to come up North. I have read that the people there take pride in living in their native countries. Plus they are racially European, most likely more independent type women and probably raised in a slightly more matriarchal environment compared to the other types. Just my opinion on that though. I'd also think they'd more readily turn into AWs.

Offline Zon

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2008, 06:07:31 PM »
Love your avatar, Henry. 

If that was the translator of your last trip AND you are NOT retaining her services any longer ....

would you give me the office number?

:)

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2008, 06:07:31 PM »

Offline singlefather no more

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2008, 06:27:44 PM »

Ok Researcher I will jump in.. I would recommend you take Dennis up on his offer and call him. He is a first class guy and just came back from Bogotá recently..  I agree totally with daytrader advice.. I used latinamericancupid.com and that is how I met my Novia from Peru.. I highly recommend Peru and of course the city of Chiclayo where my Novia is from.. I just came back from Peru 2 weeks ago when I got engaged.. The women of Peru are very beautiful also and I loved the city of Chiclayo.. It had a population of about 600,000 and I felt very safe there.

IF you have any questions about Peru , PM me and I will give you my phone number.
Kiltboy had great luck in Ecuador and can give you information on the women of that
Country..

I would read daytrader post again.. You have to know what you want before you find it
and set some parameters on what type a woman you want..

singlefather

Offline Zon

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2008, 07:16:47 PM »
I have already learned very much today ... how to spell Colombia for starters:)

OK, so I am pretty far along here.  I have experience with non AW, and I have a second residence in the Dominican Republic.  Thanks to you cats, Colombia is looking very interesting (Dennis deserves a special thanks).

In a perfect world, I would love to find a Colombian guide, or some ex pats so I could safely take a walk around 

I am not resistant to agencies n e c e s  s a r i l y ... I just think a natural - but safe - trip around is a good first step.  So, any guides?  Any cool ex pats they know there way around (maybe ex CIA if I remember from the movies :)

Offline Miguel_

• Probie
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2008, 07:54:43 PM »
About the original question,

1.  On average, Colombian women are more desperate than women from say, Mexico, Argentina or Chile.  Historically, Colombia has been a poor and violent place.  The situation has improved somewhat in recent years.  In any event, if you're not dating rich girls, you may earn more than 20X what your prospective Colombian bride's other suitors make.   The contrast wouldn't be so extreme in Argentina or Chile, especially if you're talking in terms of the quality of life in those countries vs. the U.S.

2.  Colombian women on average are more attractive than women from certain other poor Latin countries (e.g., Peru, Ecuador, Bolivia, and most of Central America).

3.  The agencies, already mentioned by previous posters, makes Colombia more point and clic.   If you're a gringo who's not particularly good around women and if you don't speak reasonable Spanish, then what are you going to do?  Go to Quito and start trying to pick up women in malls? 

4.  Americans aren't hated in Colombia as much as we are in many other Latin countries.  In the past we were genuinely admired, and still are by many.  Contrast to say Mexico or Argentina where a certain small part of the population is going to hate your guts because you're a gringo.

By the way, for anyone who's been around here a long time, JunFan is back on the market, apparently his last marriage didn't work out.

Offline P Daddy

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2008, 08:04:16 PM »

By the way, for anyone who's been around here a long time, JunFan is back on the market, apparently his last marriage didn't work out.

Ouch, 0 for 2... :o

Offline singlefather no more

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2008, 08:07:47 PM »

I hope JunFAN starts posting again here soon and gets back on the horse....

singlefather

Offline Miguel_

• Probie
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2008, 08:17:50 PM »
Ouch, 0 for 2... :o

Well, at least #2 lasted longer than #1.

Offline sean126

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2008, 08:20:14 PM »
In a perfect world, I would love to find a Colombian guide, or some ex pats so I could safely take a walk around 

I am not resistant to agencies n e c e s  s a r i l y ... I just think a natural - but safe - trip around is a good first step.  So, any guides?  Any cool ex pats they know there way around (maybe ex CIA if I remember from the movies :)

Rivardco,

I know someone that I trust with my life in Barranquilla.  If you need a guide/buddie in Barranquilla then give me a pm.  He's not free, but I can vouch that you can trust him 100% with anything.

Offline Frank Rizzo

Re: Why So Much Colombia?
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2008, 09:13:26 PM »
THis site is great...its' like always going to "dad" fo answers...........

Offline Henry

• Trips: 1 - 3
Re: RE: Why So Much Colombia?
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2008, 09:33:15 PM »
About the original question,

1.  On average, Colombian women are more desperate than women from say, Mexico, Argentina or Chile.  Historically, Colombia has been a poor and violent place.  The situation has improved somewhat in recent years.  In any event, if you're not dating rich girls, you may earn more than 20X what your prospective Colombian bride's other suitors make.   The contrast wouldn't be so extreme in Argentina or Chile, especially if you're talking in terms of the quality of life in those countries vs. the U.S.

2.  Colombian women on average are more attractive than women from certain other poor Latin countries (e.g., Peru, Ecuador, Bolivia, and most of Central America).

3.  The agencies, already mentioned by previous posters, makes Colombia more point and clic.   If you're a gringo who's not particularly good around women and if you don't speak reasonable Spanish, then what are you going to do?  Go to Quito and start trying to pick up women in malls? 

4.  Americans aren't hated in Colombia as much as we are in many other Latin countries.  In the past we were genuinely admired, and still are by many.  Contrast to say Mexico or Argentina where a certain small part of the population is going to hate your guts because you're a gringo.

Here is the average income for Chile:
"GDP - per capita (PPP):
   Definition Field Listing Rank Order
$14,400 (2007 est.)"  https://www. cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/ci.html#Econ

Argentina:
"GDP - per capita (PPP):
$13,000 (2007 est.)" https://www. cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/ar.html#Econ

Colombia: "GDP - per capita (PPP):
$7,200 (2007 est.)" https://www. cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/co.html#Econ

Ecuador; "GDP - per capita (PPP):
$7,100 (2007 est.)"

Peru: "GDP - per capita (PPP):
$7,600 (2007 est.) "

And just for comparison sake,
Poland: "GDP - per capita (PPP):
$16,200 (2007 est.)"

Czech Rep: "GDP - per capita (PPP):
$24,400 (2007 est.)"

Hungaria: "GDP - per capita (PPP):
$19,500 (2007 est.)"

Slovakia (Czech's former half): "GDP - per capita (PPP):
$19,800 (2007 est.)"

As you can see, the average income for Chile-Argentina approaches that for the part of eastern Europe bordering Germany and Italy.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2008, 10:01:36 PM by Henry »

Offline P Daddy

« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2008, 04:32:28 AM »
Well, at least #2 lasted longer than #1.

Actually I think they were both around 18 months...18 not a lucky number for ole JunFan.

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2008, 04:32:28 AM »

Offline Zon

« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2008, 05:15:36 AM »
Excellent Post:

"About the original question,

4.  Americans aren't hated in Colombia as much as we are in many other Latin countries.  In the past we were genuinely admired, and still are by many.  Contrast to say Mexico or Argentina where a certain small part of the population is going to hate your guts because you're a gringo."

-------------------------

The larger agencies that are reputable are easily identified.  Any more referrences of independent guides? 

Also,  expat from USA and Europe have trampled the fields a little bit in Eastern Europe:  Estonia; Latvia; etc...  Many see and American Man an instantly think Sex Tourist (a dangerous word that often causes thread-drift.)  In this context, I am seeking others to share their perceptions on the NEGATIVE stereo types that may exist in the minds of Colombians - those using agencies and those not using agencies.

Finally, Spanish and English is not a great stretch ... try looking at Russian?!?!  It may as well be Martian. If the education in Bogota is high (I understand it is).  And the Internet common (I understand it is).  Then Online dating sites Amigos; Columbian Cupid; must be valid.  True?

And, so far ( I have not actually researched the site as a good newby should), I see little reference of SCAMS that is certainly the case on the sister board, RussianWomenDiscussion.

Thanks Again

(Nice to see some of the personalities come out.  Again just by comparison ... you guys are awfully kind compared to the other board:) 

Are there any other information boards or sites centering on Colombia that I should know about?

« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 05:17:17 AM by rivardco »

Offline daytrader

• ** mui feliz **
    • Mechanical Trader
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2008, 06:22:05 AM »
Excellent Post:

"About the original question,

4.  Americans aren't hated in Colombia as much as we are in many other Latin countries.  In the past we were genuinely admired, and still are by many.  Contrast to say Mexico or Argentina where a certain small part of the population is going to hate your guts because you're a gringo."

-------------------------

The larger agencies that are reputable are easily identified.  Any more referrences of independent guides? 

Also,  expat from USA and Europe have trampled the fields a little bit in Eastern Europe:  Estonia; Latvia; etc...  Many see and American Man an instantly think Sex Tourist (a dangerous word that often causes thread-drift.)  In this context, I am seeking others to share their perceptions on the NEGATIVE stereo types that may exist in the minds of Colombians - those using agencies and those not using agencies.

Finally, Spanish and English is not a great stretch ... try looking at Russian?!?!  It may as well be Martian. If the education in Bogota is high (I understand it is).  And the Internet common (I understand it is).  Then Online dating sites Amigos; Columbian Cupid; must be valid.  True?

And, so far ( I have not actually researched the site as a good newby should), I see little reference of SCAMS that is certainly the case on the sister board, RussianWomenDiscussion.

Thanks Again

(Nice to see some of the personalities come out.  Again just by comparison ... you guys are awfully kind compared to the other board:) 

Are there any other information boards or sites centering on Colombia that I should know about?

on balance, if I had to do it over again, I would stick with an agency that was owned and run by an American...that would be LLM and I think Jamie's agency in BAQ.  Talk to Sean (moderator) to hear about Jamie's site, www.latin-wife.com

You can meet women in Bogota that are pretty affluent in comparison to the statistics you are looking at...real estate prices are comparable to America (before the crappy exchange rate).  Bogota has more 4 star restaurants than LA or NY, IMO..that I liked at the time....and they're not that expensive. 

Good luck in your research bro!

DayTrader
« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 09:05:24 AM by daytrader »

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5876
Latest: ponttfsch
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats