It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: Corona  (Read 30690 times)

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
  • Spouse's Country: The Philippines
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Corona
« on: March 16, 2020, 05:46:24 PM »
My wife is home 24X7 now, as she's able to work her technology job at home, with 2 monitors and her computer tweaked for international phone access and other tricks impossible not so long ago.

It's kinda weird. I like her around, but this isn't quite how I figured it'd happen--not like 'boom'--instantly.

My 22 y/o son in Atlanta, just 2 months into his 100K a year 1st job after college graduation, is doing his AI work for the mega firm he signed on with. He's able to from his posh apartment on a wicked fast PC he self built and 3 big monitors.

He'll be fine.

Both are following company orders.

My 28 y/o son who owns a (used to be) always full a AirBNB is in a bad spot. He rents it from the owner for 4K a month and runs his boutique AirBN out of it. But nobody's booking.

Then he waits tables at a swank place and routinely makes very good pay there--enough income to live off of alone, but now is sh!t out of luck--they're closing for an undetermined length of time.

He asked if he could crash at our house, when push comes to shove....

That it was a miracle that as hard as he tried as a hell raising teen, to break my wife and I up, but couldn't, isn't lost on me.

Meanwhile my wife's all about helping him with food, with him moving back home with us, with his bills, etc.

Amazing woman. "Family stays together, helps each other" she says. Most USA born step mothers would've poisoned his food 15 years ago....

My wife, him and my lazy, 'Do what I please, when I please' self,  are about to experience change--change that's going to require ongoing adjustments, to put it mildly

As I predicted  weeks ago, this isn't gonna be easy, it's only going to get harder, and it isn't going away anytime soon.

Trump said we might see some return to normalcy by July or August.

I'm afraid he's being a bit optimistic....
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 06:38:13 PM by robert angel »
Whether you think you can or think you can't--you're right!

Offline mambocowboy

• Spouse's Country: Colombia
Re: Corona
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2020, 06:42:47 PM »
My wife is home 24X7 now, as she's able to work her technology job at home, with 2 monitors and her computer tweaked for international phone access and other tricks impossible not so long ago.

It's kinda weird. I like her around, but this isn't quite how I figured it'd happen--not like 'boom'--instantly.

My 22 y/o son in Atlanta, just 2 months into his 100K a year 1st job after college graduation, is doing his AI work for the mega firm he signed on with. He's able to from his posh apartment on a wicked fast PC he self built and 3 big monitors.

He'll be fine.

Both are following company orders.

My 28 y/o son who owns a (used to be) always full a AirBNB is in a bad spot. He rents it from the owner for 4K a month and runs his boutique AirBN out of it. But nobody's booking.

Then he waits tables at a swank place and routinely makes very good pay there--enough income to live off of alone, but now is sh!t out of luck--they're closing for an undetermined length of time.

He asked if he could crash at our house, when push comes to shove....

That it was a miracle that as hard as he tried as a hell raising teen, to break my wife and I up, but couldn't, isn't lost on me.

Meanwhile my wife's all about helping him with food, with him moving back home with us, with his bills, etc.

Amazing woman. "Family stays together, helps each other" she says. Most USA born step mothers would've poisoned his food 15 years ago....

My wife, him and my lazy, 'Do what I please, when I please' self,  are about to experience change--change that's going to require ongoing adjustments, to put it mildly

As I predicted  weeks ago, this isn't gonna be easy, it's only going to get harder, and it isn't going away anytime soon.

Trump said we might see some return to normalcy by July or August.

I'm afraid he's being a bit optimistic....
Well, I think your son has a chance to behave better this time around...
I'm working from home with my little ones who are out of school till April 7...definitely an adjustment.  Thank goodness for NFL free agency distracting me from this crisis...

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2020, 07:01:37 PM »
Well, I think your son has a chance to behave better this time around...
I'm working from home with my little ones who are out of school till April 7...definitely an adjustment.  Thank goodness for NFL free agency distracting me from this crisis...

Thanks, Mambo. I need to quit pissing and moaning. No need to throw myself a pity party--that only makes it worse. I need to suck it up. I'm--WE'RE not sick, in pain, broke or homeless.

It actually could be a lot worse.

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2020, 07:01:37 PM »

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2020, 10:32:07 AM »
Thanks, Mambo. I need to quit pissing and moaning. No need to throw myself a pity party--that only makes it worse. I need to suck it up. I'm--WE'RE not sick, in pain, broke or homeless.

It actually could be a lot worse.

And out of all this, maybe it's the time and opportunity for not just democrats or republicans, not just for US citizens, but for EVERYONE--ALL ages, citizens, races and religions to actively cooperate on something for once in history.

I don't recall anything in history that got the whole world working together to defeat something. Thankfully that spirit is good-positive-cooperative.

How is S. American life out on the streets---are they shutting down restaurants for two weeks like here?

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2020, 03:15:02 PM »

How is S. American life out on the streets---are they shutting down restaurants for two weeks like here?

So, I guess it's like the tv show, The Twighlight Zone" and you're all dead already, or otherwise, everything's  OK...

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2020, 12:16:41 PM »
So, I guess it's like the tv show, The Twighlight Zone" and you're all dead already, or otherwise, everything's  OK...

Has this changed your life?

Offline mambocowboy

• Spouse's Country: Colombia
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2020, 04:01:57 PM »
Has this changed your life?
Heck yeah. Luckily for me I took a job in early February that allows me to work from home. Didn't anticipate schools closing so now the challenge is keeping the little ones occupied while I work. And of course more homebound than before.  My wife always insisted we go out as a family on weekends but now we like everyone else don't have many places to go...

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2020, 05:02:47 PM »
Heck yeah. Luckily for me I took a job in early February that allows me to work from home. Didn't anticipate schools closing so now the challenge is keeping the little ones occupied while I work. And of course more homebound than before.  My wife always insisted we go out as a family on weekends but now we like everyone else don't have many places to go...

Glad your situation's not dismal. My wife is keeping me captive. She actually let me go to Kroger today, but I had to wait out in the car, after passing by the empty mall parking lot. Out at the beaches, things are closed too.

Miles of wide pristine breezy beaches--all usually vacant in March anyway- are now llegal access for an extended time.

Yeah, I could've 'manned up'-- gotten out and shopped, but I am hearing WAYYYY too much holey moley already about how I'm "her everything"--you're "All I have" (in the USA anyway ;))  yadda, yada...and with her working from home--that and the rest of my family's differing situations, I'm just not gonna 'rock the boat'---there are enough changes and stressors already.

Besides, the largest local Kroger had NO toilet paper, no meat or seafood, no bottled water, etc.--I hoped to top off our month or two stock of provisions and give my local son a bigger 'care package' than we have already. All we got were cans of chili, some baked goods and cheeses...

We weren't gonna drive all over hunting, not to half a dozen stores....

I got more than enough toilet paper before all this broke big. Figured "My ass is covered"--then my son asked "Dad--could you spare a few rolls?"

My wife has more common  sense than me, saying "We gave him some TP and cash money--HE can drive around and find more himself."

Besides, Walmart and Amazon can still deliver ice cream, romaine lettuce, crazy glue, mushrooms, shoes, nuts, bolts and clothes and in 24 to 48 hours, have it all right on your doorstep.

And they're doing it under warlike conditions, under a collapsing economy.

A whole lot of the brick and mortar stores do not have a snow ball's chance in hell. Not in the long run.

The online giants will look invincible once people realize their viability.

And those mega companies have a compelling reason to tell our US Justice Dept that they're not engaging in unfair trade--antitrust practices--that instead they represent national disaster protection status for the population-->'Provisions'

This is a helluva a chance for the likes of Amazon and Walmart to not only put another giant nail into killing what Mom n Pop groceries, bakeries and hardware stores that are left on 'main street USA'--but to also just about nuke the shopping malls in earnest.

Anyways, never thought I'd find a trip to Kroger so surreal.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 09:35:24 PM by robert angel »

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2020, 04:01:28 PM »
The Chairman of the Federal Reserve has emphatically told the public that there is no question, that they will print as many dollars as needed to survive this 'great recession' and that the dollar will solidly remain the "world's reserve currency."

Oh, and that as usual, bank deposits up to $250,000 are federally insured.

Meanwhile the populace is having intermittent shortages of toilet paper and bottled water.

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2020, 04:43:35 PM »
The Chairman of the Federal Reserve has emphatically told the public that there is no question, that they will print as many dollars as needed to survive this 'great recession' and that the dollar will solidly remain the "world's reserve currency."

Oh, and that as usual, bank deposits up to $250,000 are federally insured.

Meanwhile the populace is having intermittent shortages of toilet paper and bottled water.

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2020, 01:48:52 PM »
The only thing worse than being holed up with my wife 100% of  the time is not being holed up with her.

As much as this isolation sucks, I can't imagine not having another person\s to bounce it off of.

No wonder how in some places, animal adoptions have sky rocketed.

Offline Calipro

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: None (yet)

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2020, 03:46:29 PM »
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/second-dog-tests-positive-for-coronavirus-as-owners-warned-not-to-abandon-pets-2020-03-20

The only dog my wife will be kissing is Me. I don't think dogs will be a problem, but when people go back to work, they  (dogs) will have problems.

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2020, 03:46:29 PM »

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2020, 10:21:54 PM »

Offline Calipro

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2020, 04:12:17 PM »
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/30/world/americas/bogota-colombia-coronavirus-silence.html

And it could quite possibly degenerate to what Italy is warily afraid of....

Italy Risks Losing Grip in South With Fear of Looting, Riots
https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/articles/2020-03-30/italy-risks-losing-grip-in-south-with-fears-of-looting-and-riots

Colombia has a long way to go to get where the USA and Italy are

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2020, 10:07:38 AM »
Colombia has a long way to go to get where the USA and Italy are

https://www.as-coa.org/articles/where-coronavirus-latin-america#colombia

With Colombia pushing 1000 confirmed cases as of a few days ago (one can only wonder how many untested 'carriers' are running around) it appears the "long way" to get to where the USA is, isn't that far off.

Brazil is getting bad and even in remote areas, including islands in that region, its showing and growing.

Meanwhile 8 million population Bogata is looking at a THREE month shutdown....

Offline Calipro

« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2020, 12:21:11 PM »
https://www.as-coa.org/articles/where-coronavirus-latin-america#colombia

With Colombia pushing 1000 confirmed cases as of a few days ago (one can only wonder how many untested 'carriers' are running around) it appears the "long way" to get to where the USA is, isn't that far off.

Brazil is getting bad and even in remote areas, including islands in that region, its showing and growing.

Meanwhile 8 million population Bogata is looking at a THREE month shutdown....

The whole country is shut down 50+  million people....the airports are closed to even domestic travel their isn't even bus service between cities and towns

I think it is safer here for me
Last I checked their were 100 confirmed cases in Medellin and about 1600 in Arizona where I lived
One of my wife's uncle's is sick.with the virus in New York

You should come to Colombia one day to see it for yourself

Then you will see why Mudd and Elexpat will never leave

« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 12:23:53 PM by Calipro »

Offline Elexpatriado

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2020, 01:11:51 PM »
Well I am definitely way happier today..my taxi driver found a place in the country where I can run without being harrased. Cops and private vigilantes pass me on motos and dont bother me there.

Whereas in Floridablanca only people with dogs can go out and walk their dog for 20 minutes.
I was trying to run up the 19 floors of my apartment complex 15 or 20 times and some people (sapos)ratted on me and the vigilantes patrol it every now and then and tell me I cant do it.

Running in the country a way better option.

Offline Calipro

« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2020, 01:16:58 PM »
Well I am definitely way happier today..my taxi driver found a place in the country where I can run without being harrased. Cops and private vigilantes pass me on motos and dont bother me there.

Whereas in Floridablanca only people with dogs can go out and walk their dog for 20 minutes.
I was trying to run up the 19 floors of my apartment complex 15 or 20 times and some people (sapos)ratted on me and the vigilantes patrol it every now and then and tell me I cant do it.

Well I know people here that have fincas outside of Medellin and when they go to leave the city the police told them they can go.to.their finca but the aren't going to let them return to Medellin until after the.quarantine is over

So I hope you like it where you are

Offline Elexpatriado

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2020, 03:40:17 PM »
Well I know people here that have fincas outside of Medellin and when they go to leave the city the police told them they can go.to.their finca but the aren't going to let them return to Medellin until after the.quarantine is over

So I hope you like it where you are

Floridablanca is only 250000 to 300000 people and we just drove to outskirts of Piedacuesta another city the same size 5 or 1o minutes away. All.part of metro Bucaramanga area. You are allowed anywhere in the metro area but not outside

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2020, 04:28:35 PM »
The whole country is shut down 50+  million people....the airports are closed to even domestic travel their isn't even bus service between cities and towns

I think it is safer here for me
Last I checked their were 100 confirmed cases in Medellin and about 1600 in Arizona where I lived
One of my wife's uncle's is sick.with the virus in New York

You should come to Colombia one day to see it for yourself

Then you will see why Mudd and Elexpat will never leave

I can walk around my neighborhood, run a 1000 miles in any direction, but most places to go--mall, stores, beaches are closed. Grocery stores, take out places, dominoes pizza etc are full on.

A couple of county's from us, they have a curfew that says you have to have justification to be out in the streets between  10PM-6AM.

Most work places are shut down until end of this month, but if you're out and about, as long as you're practicing "6 foot 'social distancing ' you're still basically free. For now.

People don't remember the US president CAN enforce martial law. I recall as a little kid, living in swanky Georgetown Wash .DC during the race riots, seeing US Military atop their massive tanks in the neighborhood streets, M16's locked and loaded, permission to shoot.

Meanwhile just don't tell my wife "It's safe to go outside, off our property.." arghhhhh...going on 15 years together and I finally really feel like she's protecting me as her 'meal ticket', lol.

Thank God she doesn't take that mindset to a lawyer instead, lol.

We may remain "The land of the free, but until EVERYBODY shuts it down simultaneously for X # of weeks, this mother fukking virus isn't going away.. 
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 05:26:21 PM by robert angel »

Offline Calipro

« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2020, 05:12:40 PM »
http://diarioriente.com/altiplano/la-exitosa-estrategia-de-corea-del-sur-para-enfrentar-el-covid-19-sera-implementada-en-colombia.html?fbclid=IwAR2VCsuqlVF-IC__iqZfPpLJiEHdPiyIknYKwmxaG1ouXy8xcF_05cCbZTI

According to this article it looks like Duque doesn't think Colombia can withstand a lot quarantine and is looking to follow the South Korean model of virus containment

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2020, 07:22:02 PM »
http://diarioriente.com/altiplano/la-exitosa-estrategia-de-corea-del-sur-para-enfrentar-el-covid-19-sera-implementada-en-colombia.html?fbclid=IwAR2VCsuqlVF-IC__iqZfPpLJiEHdPiyIknYKwmxaG1ouXy8xcF_05cCbZTI

According to this article it looks like Duque doesn't think Colombia can withstand a lot quarantine and is looking to follow the South Korean model of virus containment

We can't undo the past and we can't redo it like Korea, and yes, China did--what was handled better.

They were better prepared going in and they could enforce new measures quickly. But we can learn lessons for now AND next time.

Two effective measures include comprehensive testing to ID those actively infectious, masks and social/work isolation.

But right now the US govt isn't ready to act draconian and force 'shelter in place orders' because even if it means arrest and being incarcerated  with other (quite possibly infected) prisoners for violators, the US population lacks fear and worse yet, discipline.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 10:55:41 PM by robert angel »

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2020, 07:22:02 PM »

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2020, 11:26:33 PM »

As per the above article:

"""This would reveal that President Duque is betting on not having to extend the quarantine that for now goes until April 13. According to Fedesarrollo director Luis Fernando Mejia, Colombia has no way of sustaining a longer period of isolation because it does not have the financial resources to help those most in need.""""

Good luck. Hope it works as planned, but for a number of reasons, I wouldn't bet too big on it....

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2020, 12:56:38 AM »

"""I was trying to run up the 19 floors of my apartment complex 15 or 20 times"""

Now why on earth would residents of an apartment tower have any issue with such behavior?

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5871
Latest: ponttbryr
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 133128
Total Topics: 7864
Most Online Today: 345