It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: question about filing for adjustment of status after marriage in US  (Read 1664 times)

Offline adventuro3

Can anyone share how long it takes, after being married,  to receive confirmation that the "adjustment of status" paperwork has been RECEIVED after one has sent it Fed Ex.
And also about how long, if everything is filed correctly, does it take to get confirmation that the paperwork has been processed and "everything is okay" !  thanks in advance

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
  • Spouse's Country: The Philippines
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Re: question about filing for adjustment of status after marriage in US
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 09:40:34 PM »
Assuming you sent a check, when the check's cashed (and your bank can obviously tell you) you should be receiving a letter from USCIS in a few days. I wouldn't be surprised if you could still check on line with USCIS too. If I've given you a bum steer, check on VisaJourney.com--ask there.
Whether you think you can or think you can't--you're right!

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2014, 06:59:20 AM »
Also, a lot of folks don't realize you can get your Social Security # and card very early in the process. making going to work (if desired) easier. Think through exactly what name, first, middle, last...that you're going to use, as once it's on the SS card, it effects a whole lot of things!

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2014, 06:59:20 AM »

Offline Howie

• Probie
  • Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 04:11:43 PM »
Robert, that's a good point on the green card coming early in the process.  This is how my wife and I did it.  Btw, getting the initial paperwork accepted is only a minor part of the process.  IMO the interview is the more stressful part even if you are prepared and don't have any obvious issues.

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 04:55:43 PM »
Robert, that's a good point on the green card coming early in the process.  This is how my wife and I did it.  Btw, getting the initial paperwork accepted is only a minor part of the process.  IMO the interview is the more stressful part even if you are prepared and don't have any obvious issues.

Great to have you second the notion Howie. As your situation's more current and you probably know more current prices and timelines, your info is especially valuable. Your info might give some guys the boost they need to get over the fence, off to the airport and there.

The paper work doesn't require a lawyer in my opinion. I sort of over analyzed everything and actually made it harder and longer than it had to be, but my now wife actually put some simple common sense and smarts into it (the before and after she got here p. work) and we got it done.

Offline JasonA

• Spouse's Country: Peru
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2014, 09:50:03 AM »
I sent the paperwork in mid January. We received a letter from USCIS in about 7-10 days saying they had received the paperwork. She got her employment authorization card mid march. We applied for her SS a week later. We are still waiting on that, but should receive it any day now.

I called about the green card back in February. I was told that the Memphis office was working on files from August '13 at that time, so I'm sure that we won't be getting that any time soon.

Offline Ray

• Trips: > 10
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2014, 02:45:07 PM »

Just a couple of notes on Social Security Cards...

If you apply early for your SS Card like Robert suggested, before you are married, then you'll have to go back to SSA later and change your card to one with your married name.

You will still need work authorization or a green card before you can work. But if you are in a hurry to apply for a job, you have your employment authorization like Jason's wife does, you don't need the SS Card to submit an employment application.

After applying for the SS Card, you should be able to get your new SS number by phone within about 24 hrs, without waiting for the card itself to arrive in the mail. You won't need to actually show your card until you are hired.

Ray

Offline michaelb

• Spouse's Country: Colombia
  • Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2014, 11:31:06 PM »

If you apply early for your SS Card like Robert suggested, before you are married, then you'll have to go back to SSA later and change your card to one with your married name.

While it is customary in the United States for the wife to change her surname to her husband's, there is no law requiring it. My wife still has everything in her old name, even her U.S. citizenship papers.

Come to think of it, my ex-wife got married new year's eve, and the kids tell me she is still using MY surname....not that it bothers me, but just to prove that the woman does NOT have to change her name when she gets married. If she did change it when she got married, she is also not required change it back to her maiden name when/if she gets divorced. For both the marriage and the divorce, it is the woman's choice whether or not to change her name.

Offline Howie

• Probie
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2014, 04:35:48 PM »
Great to have you second the notion Howie. As your situation's more current and you probably know more current prices and timelines, your info is especially valuable. Your info might give some guys the boost they need to get over the fence, off to the airport and there.

The paper work doesn't require a lawyer in my opinion. I sort of over analyzed everything and actually made it harder and longer than it had to be, but my now wife actually put some simple common sense and smarts into it (the before and after she got here p. work) and we got it done.

Howies response to Robert above:

Sorry if this post comes out mangled but I'm new here.  In my wife's case she overstayed a tourist visa from Brazil when we got married in 2006.  I did get a lawyer for the entire process but I agree with Robert that this is not necessary with one huge caveat.  If you make a mistake on the papers it will cost you time.  If you make a mistake in the interview, it may cost you everything.  The lawyer cost about $2000 in total.  This was just for change of status not citizenship.  Even he said the citizenship part was straightforward and it was.  The lawyer wasn't that good as he messed up our papers and delayed us.  Where he was worth his weight in gold for the interview prep.  For example, he made it very clear that a good way to get deported is to mention any other reason for my wife coming here other than what was on her visa (tourist).  As we were waiting for the interview we could here an awesome lawyer visiting each of the immigration officers and this was exactly the point he was arguing repeatedly on behalf of his clients.  They came here to see Mickey Mouse and never said otherwise.  Her not taking your last name will be viewed as a mild negative in the interview.  Name changes in NY are a nightmare but we were glad to do it.  The fact that we were married in Clark County (Vegas) was a point of criticism for us even though we had pictures from our religious ceremony performed by my father, an ordained minister.  Keep in mind the if the $3k to $10k that a false marriage  might command looks significant relative to your income you will get more scrutiny.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 04:38:25 PM by Howie, Reason: Didn\'t know how to reply separately. »

Offline Howie

• Probie
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2014, 04:09:59 PM »
On the interview itself, there are a couple of areas that immigration officer will pursue.  The lawyer had prepared us for this and it was very helpful.  First of all they try to get evidence that your wife originally entered the country with any intent other than what is on her visa.  If they feel they have done this, they will reject her.  If she came as a tourist, every answer in this area must indicate this.  If she immediately started working and sending money home that's a problem.  My wife is like many other Latinas in that she is very open honest and wears her emotions on her shirtsleeve.  They can try to rattle her by calling her a lawbreaker for overstaying.  The lawyer told us to respond to any such tactic or accusation by not showing emotion and simply saying she was "out of status.". Say this as many times as you need to but there's no penalty if you are successful.  Outside of the circumstances of how or why she came here the rest focuses on whether or not the marriage is real.

Offline gyounger

• Trips: > 10
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2014, 09:37:02 AM »
Also, a lot of folks don't realize you can get your Social Security # and card very early in the process. making going to work (if desired) easier. Think through exactly what name, first, middle, last...that you're going to use, as once it's on the SS card, it effects a whole lot of things!

But the quickest way to get the GC is by marriage in her country.

And despite what people think, the wait time to receive a spousal visa is almost the same as obtaining a fiancee visa and marrying her here.

The minute she lands in the U.S., she'll have either a CR or IR and eligible for work.

Offline JasonA

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2014, 07:04:32 AM »

Just a couple of notes on Social Security Cards...

You will still need work authorization or a green card before you can work. But if you are in a hurry to apply for a job, you have your employment authorization like Jason's wife does, you don't need the SS Card to submit an employment application.

After applying for the SS Card, you should be able to get your new SS number by phone within about 24 hrs, without waiting for the card itself to arrive in the mail. You won't need to actually show your card until you are hired.

Ray

We applied for her SS# at the end of March. I called our local SS office after reading your post. They told me that her application hasn't been approved yet. So, I don't know if this is normal or not, but it's taking longer than 24 hours. Just an FYI...

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5874
Latest: BillyGeots
New This Month: 3
New This Week: 2
New Today: 1
Stats
Total Posts: 133129
Total Topics: 7864
Most Online Today: 229