It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: Take a laptop to Colombia?  (Read 3808 times)

Offline V_Man

• Spouse's Country: Colombia
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Take a laptop to Colombia?
« on: September 05, 2011, 09:45:38 PM »
There was a similar thread to this before but now I can not find it.
I am trying to decide if I should buy a $400 laptop and take it with me to Colombia. If I did that, then I may leave it behind with someone special.

There is a chica that I am going to see. We have not meet in person yet. If it works out with her then I would leave it with her.

She has a lot of problems with her computer. She almost always manages to borrow her sisters one or if all else fails she has gone to an internet cafe. So she finds ways to communicate with me but not perhaps as much as we could.

She has never asked for anything except to see me in person. On the one hand I don't want to shower her with expensive gifts but on the other hand I could provide a laptop with software preloaded that would make future communication much easlier. Assuming of course that things progress well once we meet.

Good idea? Bad idea?

Offline InSanDiego

• Opted-Out
  • Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: 1 - 3
Re: Take a laptop to Colombia?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 10:05:47 PM »
I would wait to see how things go. If they go well, as you're getting ready to return home, say "oh, by the way, this is for us..."

Offline Micky

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 10:10:30 PM »
I was just starting to write,  well,  what ISD said.  Take it but do not say shet about it,  if and when there is no doubt,  then make the move.  Worst case is you have the piece for when you do find the "one".

Micky
Don't crap on my 2 yard line!

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 10:10:30 PM »

Offline Traveler

• Chiang Mai, Thailand
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2011, 10:56:13 PM »
Just get a good used one.  In US I can get a laptop in good shape for like $150, or even less if I am lucky.  The bonus is it will have the software already installed.

Offline benjio

• Spouse's Country: Brazil
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2011, 03:03:20 AM »
I am trying to decide if I should buy a $400 laptop and take it with me to Colombia. If I did that, then I may leave it behind with someone special.

There is a chica that I am going to see. We have not meet in person yet. If it works out with her then I would leave it with her.

She has a lot of problems with her computer. She almost always manages to borrow her sisters one or if all else fails she has gone to an internet cafe. So she finds ways to communicate with me but not perhaps as much as we could.

She has never asked for anything except to see me in person. On the one hand I don't want to shower her with expensive gifts but on the other hand I could provide a laptop with software preloaded that would make future communication much easlier. Assuming of course that things progress well once we meet.

Good idea? Bad idea?

First trip? She wouldn't be getting $#I+ from me!!!! Wait to see how she behaves once you've visited and left. She may very well act like she's into while you're there, but deep down she may not be feeling any chemistry at all. Colombianas have a real problem with outright rejecting men. You could go, have a nice time with her, give her the laptop, only to discover she's not communicating with you as much or at all when you return. Wait until the second or third trip to start shelling out gifts, especially of that caliber, used or not.

Offline Alabamaboy!

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2011, 08:07:47 AM »

First trip? She wouldn't be getting $#I+ from me!!!! Wait to see how she behaves once you've visited and left. She may very well act like she's into while you're there, but deep down she may not be feeling any chemistry at all. Colombianas have a real problem with outright rejecting men. You could go, have a nice time with her, give her the laptop, only to discover she's not communicating with you as much or at all when you return. Wait until the second or third trip to start shelling out gifts, especially of that caliber, used or not.

I agree with Benjio. Even if you can afford it, it can set very bad precedent. It can change the way she looks at you and  the relationship.....and not for the good.

Gato4Astrid

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2011, 08:19:34 AM »
V-man, don't - at least not in the 1st meeting. 

Offline Calipro

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2011, 11:41:58 AM »

Good idea? Bad idea?

I think you should bring an engagement ring just incase you meet miss perfect on your trip. jijiji

In all seriousness I don't think you should bring a computer to give anybody....it will just tempt you to do something you probably shouldn't do.

Offline Ray

• Spouse's Country: The Philippines
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2011, 05:08:57 PM »

I agree with benjio, Alabamaboy!, and Calipro.

It is WAY too early to start showering this young lady with expensive gifts.

My advice is to keep any references to money, personal financial info, and gifts valued at over $25 out of an early relationship, at least until there is a serious consideration of marriage.

If you run into an early female contact that just hasn't got the means to communicate effectively on her own without your financial help, then leave her behind and find one that does.

Yes, even if you try to justify it as enabling better communication with her, it is still a gift and should never have any strings attached. Too many guys here have come back later to whine and complain that she ended up using that computer to communicate with other guys. That's just a chance you take in this game,

Ray

Offline whitey

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2011, 06:18:32 PM »
I'd have to agree with the majority on this one that even a used computer is too big a gift for a first visit.

Maintaining communication in a long distance relationship is just about the only exception I can think of about sending money or giving larger gifts ... especially depending on the woman's situation (access to a computer, ability to pay for internet, cell plan, etc.).

But on a first trip is too soon.  Unfortunately, I think V-man is from Australia and has a long, expensive journey?  I can't remember how many trips you are planning and with what frequency.  It's usually a lot easier for us guys in North America.

Hablo espanolo mucho bieno!

Offline benjio

• Spouse's Country: Brazil
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2011, 07:03:57 PM »
Good point Whitey...I forgot that V_Man was an Aussie. Hell of an endeavour you've decided to undertake V_Man. Unless you are rich and work for yourself, the low frequency of trips you'll be able to make to Colombia would be a deterent within itself if you knew what I did. You could definitely have a stroke of luck and meet a dedicated Colombiana that's willing to maintain a long distance realtionship with minimal "personal time." But I have to admit...in my opinion that's like hitting the lottery. Like I've stated before, I met an Aussie at Jamie's when I was there in January. He was determined not to leave empty handed. But he also took my advice when I told him it doesn't work that way. Will she be the right girl for you in the long run? Sure, you can get a girlfriend during the first trip, call her, email her, all that jazz after you leave. But will she have the patience to stick with you for whatever amount of time has to pass before you two can permanently be together....odds say not likely. And please believe if she is anything you'd think of as attractive you'll have a dozen Colombianos beating down her door every second explaining to her why having a boyfriend so far away doesn't make any sense. Latin American Culture is so synonymous with instant gratification most people will sacrifice the most precious thing in their lives for a moment of pleasure. Think about that...

Offline V_Man

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2011, 09:32:31 PM »
...it is still a gift and should never have any strings attached. Too many guys here have come back later to whine and complain that she ended up using that computer to communicate with other guys.

I agree with this completely. It wouldn’t be any kind of security that she would be loyal to me.
I look at it this way:  I have never added up how many women I have dated in my own city and spent $400 or more ‘communicating’ with them. Yet those women all earned plenty of money and had the same language and culture as me.

But on a first trip is too soon.  Unfortunately, I think V-man is from Australia and has a long, expensive journey?  I can't remember how many trips you are planning and with what frequency.  It's usually a lot easier for us guys in North America.

This is the issue. It’s a different situation for me.
Correct me if I am wrong but the primary rationale for not giving expensive gifts is to weed out the gold diggers – and generally set the wrong expectations. I am mindful of this. In my case this has to be balanced with the kind of mission impossible situation I have.
Good point Whitey...I forgot that V_Man was an Aussie. Hell of an endeavour you've decided to undertake V_Man. Unless you are rich and work for yourself, the low frequency of trips you'll be able to make to Colombia would be a deterent within itself if you knew what I did.

“A deterrent” is an understatement even though I probably don’t know half of what you know.
... I met an Aussie at Jamie's when I was there in January. He was determined not to leave empty handed. But he also took my advice when I told him it doesn't work that way. Will she be the right girl for you in the long run? Sure, you can get a girlfriend during the first trip, call her, email her, all that jazz after you leave. But will she have the patience to stick with you for whatever amount of time has to pass before you two can permanently be together....odds say not likely.

Don’t tell anyone but I am expecting this to be a passing phase. The odds are so unlikely that I simply can not expect success. I am positive and optimistic by nature and I’ll give it a sincere attempt. However  the reality for me is that it is very unlikely to be ultimately successful.  However I am genuinely interested more or less everything to do with South America so my attitude is way more ‘se la vee’ than many others. If I get to Colombia, spend some time with some locals, and see a few sights then it is an awesome trip for me. If I eventually end up with the love of my life – well that would be a fairy tale come true. Possible but far too unlikely to expect. So OK I may not end up married but I’ll tell you something for free: most people spend years of their lives watching TV. Now that really is a waste of time and money!! I don’t watch TV.
And please believe if she is anything you'd think of as attractive you'll have a dozen Colombianos beating down her door every second explaining to her why having a boyfriend so far away doesn't make any sense. Latin American Culture is so synonymous with instant gratification most people will sacrifice the most precious thing in their lives for a moment of pleasure. Think about that...

This could be going on right now. In fact a lot more than just talking could be going on for all I know.  Yes it could also happen later when I have a lot more emotion invested in someone.

The thing is gents, Colombianas make me want to take some risks, invest some of myself and open myself up.  Western women – not so much. Been there done that.  Here in Australia there are beautiful women everywhere. Really good looking women. Particularly where I live. And I have the looks, personality and career to date them. However the risk/reward for a guy like me makes it worth while looking on the other side of the world at women who are notoriously fickle. That says a lot about society here.

There are many bad things about Colombian society. Many bad things. However ours is not so bloody perfect either.

So yes all sort of problems and things can go wrong. But mate – things can go spectacularly badly here with the girl next door.
I suppose I should just watch TV each night and save for my retirement. That would be the sensible and safe thing to do.
I have just foolishly decided that I'd rather be on my death bed saying - "Hey remember that crazy couple of years and all that money I spent in the totally unrealistic attempt to have a Colombian wife? Those were the days!"
So mate - yes I'm unrealistic and foolish and it's never going to work out.

I'm not arguing with you, but look on the bright side you'll be able to watch me crash and burn and you can say "I told you so!". So you see there is something in it for you too. We all win!

Now about that laptop.... what to do?  :-\

Offline InSanDiego

• Opted-Out
  • Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2011, 10:07:35 PM »
V-Man, from your post it looks like you've prepared yourself for a good trip... I too did WOVO last month. I went in promising myself that however it turned out I would have no regrets...I think as much as you've communicated with her online, you'll find that meeting in person is so much better.....Enjoy yourself, enjoy your time with her, when you have some alone time do some deep thinking about how into you she is, etc. If you have a good trip, I don't care how far you are from Colombia, you will find a way to get back there ASAP...And actually, my lady friend knows of a 22 year old Colombiana  who is learning English and awaiting her visa to go live with an Australian man, so it is possible...I didn't really answer the laptop question in this post, but if you relax and enjoy yourself, I imagine the answer will come to you while in Colombia...

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2011, 10:07:35 PM »

Gato4Astrid

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2011, 05:32:51 PM »
V-man

Since you are from Australia, just bring souveniors - eg Koala, Kangaroo soft toy, or boomerang, etc

Offline whitey

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2011, 06:22:03 PM »
If you're from Oz, just sing the colombianas this song and they will melt in your hands:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGCiYDWGZv4

Hablo espanolo mucho bieno!

Offline jb

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2011, 07:11:53 PM »
If you're from Oz, just sing the colombianas this song and they will melt in your hands:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGCiYDWGZv4

yes, yes.
i've tried and works, but not being an Aussie i had to perfect the hand gestures and facial expressions. ;D

so it should definitely work for you V_Man!

Gato4Astrid

« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2011, 06:07:14 AM »
V-man, I am selling one of my laptops,  care to buy it from me? lol ;D

Seriously, in my country, many students or people who cannot afford to buy a brand new PC, are always happy to buy 2nd hand PC.  If your girlfriend/future girlfriend cannot accept any 2nd hand PC, or calling you 'cheapsake', then she is not serious about your relationships and therefore she is a materialistic.  You do not want her to love you base on your wealth!

Offline V_Man

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2011, 01:24:12 AM »
I never buy 2nd hand laptops, but thanks for the suggestion.
I just discovered a compromise. Good tablets are now $200. My phone is worth more than that! This is the perfect thing for the rediculous travel times I need to do. It's also cheap enough that I wont cry if it gets stolen.
I realise it would still be perceived as an expensive gift if I give it away.
In fact this whole trip is turning me into a walking advertisement for what NOT to do!

Ah well! As Whitey pointed out, I did one thing right. I bought a plane ticket!

Gato4Astrid

« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2011, 05:09:54 AM »
Good luck to your trip, V-Man

Offline Bob_S

• Global Moderator
  • Spouse's Country: Japan
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2011, 03:56:53 PM »
Ah well! As Whitey pointed out, I did one thing right. I bought a plane ticket!
Yep.  Whatever else you do, get your boots on the ground.

Is the tablet purely wifi?  There are some that allow you to plug in an Ethernet cable.  In many places, hotspots can be inconvenient.
...a wife should be always a reasonable and agreeable companion, because she cannot always be young.
- "Gulliver's Travels" by Jonathan Swift

Offline Fuzzyone

« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2011, 04:17:00 PM »
  I guess it could be worse, he could be bringing her a pair of tennis shoes! ::)

Offline V_Man

« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2011, 08:55:16 PM »
Is the tablet purely wifi?  There are some that allow you to plug in an Ethernet cable.  In many places, hotspots can be inconvenient.

Yes has WiFi and an Ethernet cable port. At this stage you can not get ones that include 3G without spending about 3 times the money. However many of them will support a 3G USB modem which you can buy in country for the best results. However I have been told to never use it in public places in Colombia anyway so I don't need 3G. Most hotels have free WiFi.

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5871
Latest: ponttbryr
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 133128
Total Topics: 7864
Most Online Today: 345