It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: Is this crazy?  (Read 29364 times)

Offline Wildstubby

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: None (yet)
Re: Is this crazy?
« Reply #75 on: November 26, 2018, 03:40:58 PM »
Elexpatriado said:
You realize B'quilla  is the ugliest city in Colombia right?
I don't think you are close with that statement. I found Santa Marta ugly and dirty!

My friend that used to run a website about Colombia had the chutzpah to talk girls up right in the malls. He said he didn't have any problems with dates. I was never blessed with that kind of confidence. However, if your Spanish is passable and you have the nerve, hell why not? Most certainly no prejudices and the adventure of winging it.

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
  • Spouse's Country: The Philippines
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #76 on: November 26, 2018, 07:48:59 PM »
Elexpatriado said:I don't think you are close with that statement. I found Santa Marta ugly and dirty!

My friend that used to run a website about Colombia had the chutzpah to talk girls up right in the malls. He said he didn't have any problems with dates. I was never blessed with that kind of confidence. However, if your Spanish is passable and you have the nerve, hell why not? Most certainly no prejudices and the adventure of winging it.

Anyplace where a woman is shopping, or in other words, receiving 'retail therapy', chances are she's gonna be in a good mood. Prime time to summon up courage to hit on them. If it's the truth, tell her something like, "Those shoes/ that outfit looks great on you, it really works"---"That's a classic look, great right now, and I bet it'll look as great five years from now on you--Smart".

Those kind of lines have worked in a number of nations without fail. Women LOVE fashion compliments!

Twelve days ago, I saw a babe, probably 30 years my junior, carrying an end table out the door of a dept store.

This black beauty was an eleven on a scale of TEN. Seriously instaboner material. I smiled sweetly and said: " Can I help you with that, young lady?" She smiled her Ms. Universe smile and with a flutter of her eyelashes replied:, Why yes, that would be sweet of you, thank you".

The Louis Vuitton purse should've tipped me off, but at the end of the parking lot was her car, a pearl white $100,000+ Mercedes S550. Only the 12 cylinder S600 costs more. Her outfit, a Gucci workout suit. Her sneakers were cute. I said so and asked: Yeezeys? (Adidas ) she smiled and said, "No, LeBrons"

I oh so carefully eased the table into the backseat and asked, "Pretty car--how has this Benz been for you?" She mentioned "My Mother and  I just got back from a year in Sierra Leone (Africa) and the car's air suspension is acting weird after sitting for a year".

Me: "Oh, Sierra Leone--THAT explains why you're sooo beautiful--that country has, for it's size, an amazing amount of international beauty contest winner and finalists. It's also a place I'd like to visit some day".

We made a little more small talk about her car, options on fixing it-- the dealership, which I explained is a 'stealership' or the NAPA shop I take my Lexus LS to, which is much fairer and fixes Mercedes too. I gave her the name and location.

Anyways, as we parted, I said:

"You are such a nice and lovely lady. If I were twenty five year's younger, I'd ask for your phone number"

She replied, "NO---YOU seem very nice, I think I like you. Seriously, let me give you my number, please"....

By this time, I felt and probably looked more like a sheep than a wolf, a wolf reciting in his head "and lead us not into temptation"-- But I listened, as she slowly, verbally gave me her phone number. I again told her to consider my repair shop and wished her the best for the upcoming holidays.

As I walked away, she said: "And WHAT's my phone number? NAILED, I stopped dead in my tracks, and I confessed I hadn't memorized it."I'm awful with numbers" I mumbled. She repeated it and asked me to recite it.  '"Say it back to me"...

As I walked back to the store, my balls sweating, my knees close to knocking, I purposefully thought of random numbers, mixing them all up, like 8,12,97,82, 9, 54....intent on forgetting this incredible babe and her number, telling myself that what'd at best probably be a supernova date or two flash and burn, would destroy my marriage to an already beautiful and perhaps even younger woman, namely my wife, a wonderwoman waiting at home for (late as usual) me, preparing my dinner.

I got home and  over that dinner, confessed the whole incident. My wife laughed SO hard, I thought she was gonna fall out of her chair, in between saying "I've told you you still have it honey, I love you now and will still, even when the day comes that you don't have that "It factor" any longer, but that's a funny story."

Then, bless her heart, she added: "You should have remembered her number to see if Patrick and her would hit it off" (a best friend of mine who's officially, legally single)

Nope. THAT number was TOO hot for me to handle!!

And you guys are talking about how comparitively ugly various cities in Colombia are like it's an ugly Christmas sweater contest!

Fellas, we're not out there scoping the landscape. Screw the landscape. No, on second thought, screw the women there!

No matter how rough the city, the village, the war zone etc., a beautiful woman IS there waiting, as sure as a song writer once wrote:

"There is a rose in Spanish Harlem"
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 08:05:03 PM by robert angel »
Whether you think you can or think you can't--you're right!

Offline benjio

• Spouse's Country: Brazil
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #77 on: November 27, 2018, 04:26:07 AM »
That is a concern of mine, expat. I asked Jamie if these girls who said yes know I am coming in January and planned to be at the intro event...I assume so, as I put it on my profile but who knows how much they actually read. Agree that being > 30 days away, there's a chance for something else to come up or someone else to come along.

For any that used Jamie's service, were any of your selections from out of the area? Did you wind up meeting any of them in BAQ? His suggestion was to email and correspond with them to see if there is a desire to fly them to BAQ...

I used his agency to meet a couple of girls in Bogota. One I developed sort of a relationship with (3 dates...slept together a few times). Keep in mind I was living in Colombia at the time though. You’ll have your hands more than full in Barranquilla. Believe me. You’ll be turning girls away there long before you’ll be worried about going to other cities. Leave Medellin alone for now. That’s expert level!!! Learn Spanish and get to know the culture and the women better first. Let the agency babysit you for now. Paisas will eat you alive!!!! (Jk....but really not.)

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #77 on: November 27, 2018, 04:26:07 AM »

Offline mambocowboy

• Spouse's Country: Colombia
« Reply #78 on: November 27, 2018, 12:52:27 PM »
I used his agency to meet a couple of girls in Bogota. One I developed sort of a relationship with (3 dates...slept together a few times). Keep in mind I was living in Colombia at the time though. You’ll have your hands more than full in Barranquilla. Believe me. You’ll be turning girls away there long before you’ll be worried about going to other cities. Leave Medellin alone for now. That’s expert level!!! Learn Spanish and get to know the culture and the women better first. Let the agency babysit you for now. Paisas will eat you alive!!!! (Jk....but really not.)
My wife has mentioned several times the paisas and Calenas are way more sophisticated in their manipulation than the Barranquilleras and that they are more ambitious.  I agree for a gringo first time visitor  BAQ is a safer place to start with the ladies, although all you have to do is read LatinSharpei's epic thread to see it's possible for a gringo to get raked over the coals in BAQ. But that guy didn't listen to you or Jaime's warnings about her...

Offline Elexpatriado

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #79 on: November 27, 2018, 02:08:59 PM »
My wife has mentioned several times the paisas and Calenas are way more sophisticated in their manipulation than the Barranquilleras and that they are more ambitious.  I agree for a gringo first time visitor  BAQ is a safer place to start with the ladies, although all you have to do is read LatinSharpei's epic thread to see it's possible for a gringo to get raked over the coals in BAQ. But that guy didn't listen to you or Jaime's warnings about her...

All , Or the vast majority of Colombian women are manipulative. They were raised in that environment.If you have no rights and no physical strength, you have to use other means to get what you want..

Ir just depends how often , how big the issue is, and how evil the intent is of the manipulation .

Offline buenopues4

« Reply #80 on: November 27, 2018, 05:17:30 PM »
All , Or the vast majority of Colombian women are manipulative. They were raised in that environment.If you have no rights and no physical strength, you have to use other means to get what you want..

Ir just depends how often , how big the issue is, and how evil the intent is of the manipulation .

This is a silly narrative. Women worldwide are manipulative when they have the wits to be so. Colombian women are no more so than any other group of women in the world. It always boils down to "I'll give you sex if you give me money, goods, influence or failing those safe haven for my offspring."
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 05:25:21 PM by buenopues4 »

Offline mambocowboy

« Reply #81 on: November 27, 2018, 06:28:37 PM »

This is a silly narrative. Women worldwide are manipulative when they have the wits to be so. Colombian women are no more so than any other group of women in the world. It always boils down to "I'll give you sex if you give me money, goods, influence or failing those safe haven for my offspring."
Yes but the gringos' naivete and ignorance of Colombian culture makes them more ripe to be taken advantage of than by an American woman whose culture they are more familiar with...

Offline Elexpatriado

« Reply #82 on: November 27, 2018, 08:23:27 PM »

I dont know..my sister and a lot of women I know in Canada arent that way.

When it comes to.manipulation she is just   like me..better just be a straight shooter and say what you want and dont play games

She actually is with some deadbeat guy because she doesnt want to be alone. He makes less money than he does.

Offline Elexpatriado

« Reply #83 on: November 27, 2018, 08:32:05 PM »
Yes but the gringos' naivete and ignorance of Colombian culture makes them more ripe to be taken advantage of than by an American woman whose culture they are more familiar with...

I am really sensitive to.manipulation..I can smell it a mile away...the girls sometimes dont realize themselves they are doing it.

If its a little thing..and the relationship.is going good otherwise..sometimes its just better to give in and not worry about it , rather than getting all stressed out and participating in the stupid  mind games.

But you still keep a mental score card, and if it happens too frenquently, the "sh1t bucket" in one hand can eventually outweigh the "honey bucket" in the other hand
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 08:33:36 PM by Elexpatriado »

Offline Researcher

• The Perfect Match!
« Reply #84 on: November 28, 2018, 04:00:01 AM »
Elexpatriado said:I don't think you are close with that statement. I found Santa Marta ugly and dirty!

I always found Colombianas to be very approachable. One of the chicas I used to chat up in Bogota worked at a gas station near the hotel I usually stayed in. She was super hot and friendly. Most latinas are very flirty if they are available. They usually curtail the flirting once they get a boyfriend. I was always comfortable talking to latinas I did not know. If I screwed up and said something wrong it was usually written off as me being some goofy foreign guy who didn't know better.
Every man has his own courage, and is betrayed because he seeks in himself the courage of other persons. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline mambocowboy

« Reply #85 on: November 28, 2018, 07:48:01 AM »
I always found Colombianas to be very approachable. One of the chicas I used to chat up in Bogota worked at a gas station near the hotel I usually stayed in. She was super hot and friendly. Most latinas are very flirty if they are available. They usually curtail the flirting once they get a boyfriend. I was always comfortable talking to latinas I did not know. If I screwed up and said something wrong it was usually written off as me being some goofy foreign guy who didn't know better.
All this talk of manipulation aside, I would rather deal with Colombianas all day than gringas  that's for sure...I prefer sweet over bitter...

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #86 on: November 28, 2018, 12:54:55 PM »

Yes,  LatinSharpei's posts right up to his last few (too bad he disappeared back in 2014) is well worth a look here. That said, generalizations about women, the differences according  to where they come from etc., are just that - 'generalizations'.

I think more than anything, it's the internet and it's availability, that has changed the playing field for pursuing women in foreign places.

It's simply a smaller world now, where once internet access might be limited and only in Internet cafes, now home PCs and internet  linked cell phones have brought information, including the good, the bad and the ugly, to places where perhaps before, the women were less informed and more innocent.

Even in rural areas, most women are by now aware of the 'hit and run' guys,  of women who have borne children from foriegn guys they'll never see again, etc.

Like Eagles sang:

"City girls just seem to find out early. How to open doors with just a smile. A rich old man. And she won't have to worry. She'll dress up all in lace and go in style. Late at night a big old house gets lonely....."

They might become 'jaded' faster in metro areas but all around, the 'learning curve has picked up.

And increasingly in a 'tit for tat' sort of dynamic, these women, who are aware of the dude's done dirty deeds, are doing the same. Both sides, male and female alike, are always, uh, 'refining' their skills in getting over on the other side.

Nope, Polly Anna, ain't what and where she used to be....

From LSP's last post:

"""Things I failed at before

I was willing to commit on thier terms..  I forgot who all was dealt a hand in the poker match

I kept buying into the same excuse its a cultural difference.  Never accommodated to me.

I was blinded by the birds and stars on the one and she was finding reasons to leave early and acting weird on dates.  I should have cut her lose and chose one of the other 2 that are now married.""""
http://www.planet-love.com/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=5005
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 04:23:39 PM by robert angel »

Offline Elexpatriado

« Reply #87 on: November 28, 2018, 07:23:14 PM »
All this talk of manipulation aside, I would rather deal with Colombianas all day than gringas  that's for sure...I prefer sweet over bitter...

Of course anyone would..your sexual market  value jumps about   5 times in Colombia.

In develoed countries, the only guys in their 60s who have a 20 years old girlfriend or wife are billionaires or rock stars like Jimmy Page or Robert Plant.

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #87 on: November 28, 2018, 07:23:14 PM »

Offline Elexpatriado

« Reply #88 on: November 28, 2018, 07:35:16 PM »
Yes,  LatinSharpei's posts right up to his last few (too bad he disappeared back in 2014) is well worth a look here. That said, generalizations about women, the differences according  to where they come from etc., are just that - 'generalizations'.

I think more than anything, it's the internet and it's availability, that has changed the playing field for pursuing women in foreign places.

It's simply a smaller world now, where once internet access might be limited and only in Internet cafes, now home PCs and internet  linked cell phones have brought information, including the good, the bad and the ugly, to places where perhaps before, the women were less informed and more innocent.

Even in rural areas, most women are by now aware of the 'hit and run' guys,  of women who have borne children from foriegn guys they'll never see again, etc.

Like Eagles sang:

"City girls just seem to find out early. How to open doors with just a smile. A rich old man. And she won't have to worry. She'll dress up all in lace and go in style. Late at night a big old house gets lonely....."

They might become 'jaded' faster in metro areas but all around, the 'learning curve has picked up.

And increasingly in a 'tit for tat' sort of dynamic, these women, who are aware of the dude's done dirty deeds, are doing the same. Both sides, male and female alike, are always, uh, 'refining' their skills in getting over on the other side.

Nope, Polly Anna, ain't what and where she used to be....

From LSP's last post:

"""Things I failed at before

I was willing to commit on thier terms..  I forgot who all was dealt a hand in the poker match

I kept buying into the same excuse its a cultural difference.  Never accommodated to me.

I was blinded by the birds and stars on the one and she was finding reasons to leave early and acting weird on dates.  I should have cut her lose and chose one of the other 2 that are now married.""""
http://www.planet-love.com/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=5005

I had a quick glance of some of his posts.They give me a headache. Maybe cuz I already have one.ja ja

Anyway..I agree 100% on his  synopsis on female lawyers.stay the foch away from them..horrible creatures..

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #89 on: November 29, 2018, 09:55:04 AM »
Besides generalizations about women based on the area they come from and really, about the female species as whole, IMO we ought to be looking for the 'exceptions' to these self defeating notions regarding the gender as a whole, and the area they're from.

We can piss, moan, demean and lable them, but the work and it's end results are "on us'. Nobody held a gun to our head and said "That one".

Regardless of where you are in the world, with the vast, unprecedented amount of information available to women pretty much everywhere today, sifting thru a lots buckets of dirt and sand, finding the real gold and not the 'fool's gold' is just harder than ever.

As much as us guys do, more women than ever before also have preconceived notions about US that overall, don't do us any good. Sure their, like our perceptions, are based on what they've heard, read, seen and sometimes experienced personally, but when ever you write off something altogether, you're putting blinders on.

No, don't ignore life's lessons. Learn and try to never forget, but don't close doors and windows completely while moving forward, based on what you've left behind.

But then as now, the fact remains that all too often, we're 'blinded by beauty' and will overlook faults in a woman who's incredibly hot, and do that more so than we would in a lady who's merely very pretty.

AND YOU guess which type is gonna be a better fit over the years, the probably lower maintenance pretty lady or the outrageously hot princess, used to being looked up at, on her pedestal. 

Coming off a bitter divorce with two young sons in the wreckage, it took me FOUR years of communicating with my now wife, to get over 'preconceived notions' --trying to convince myself, "too young, too pretty, too nice and well educated"--must stay away, before I considered my wife 'vetted', sufficiently risk reduced and only then, did I propose. Actually, she finally gave me an ultimatum! Everybody, everything, has a 'shelf life'.

The chance of that ever happening again and me landing a similar wife, are for this coot,  probably less than winning the lotto.

And regardless, once they move out of their country, their 'appeal'- their 'fair market value' WILL increase. My wife knows that if she left me, she could not only survive financially independently, but between her workplace (which fortunately is not an immoral issue/place for married folks) and the community at large, she'd have zero problems lining up suitors.

So once the girl you choose moves here and she becomes 'established', YOU may suddenly seem like less of a 'catch' after all. Perhaps a totally unnecessary nuisance in fact. Maybe even more like a convenient stepping stone or dalliance. A 'tool'.

So pray that you picked someone with a good head on her shoulders, steady, consistent, with "sticktuitiveness".

And ain't nobody gonna wait 4 years for nobody anymore, but still, take the TIME necessary.

"If you wanna be happy for rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife-- take it from a personal point of view, get an ugly girl to marry you" (LOL]

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Qh9ZZgDqzAg
« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 02:29:21 PM by robert angel »

Offline JWR

• Divorced after a 10 year marriage to a Colombiana
« Reply #90 on: November 29, 2018, 05:18:44 PM »
What I've noticed spending some time and dating in the Philippines over the last 5 years is how many single girls are 25 to 30, and have reached an age that they have very little chance of a guy courting them.  I have some friends that I've made over there that are pretty, and haven't been asked out on a date since high school or college.  It's hard to imagine so many 20 something girls that have had zero attention from guys.
Of course the majority of girls want a baby, and they believe that they need to have a baby before 30 or it's over.  Some pretty girls also leave the Philippines to work abroad, and come back 30 years old and realize they've sort of sacrificed they're own chance of having a family  to help their siblings get through school.  Often the siblings have enjoyed the benefits, and even become married themselves.  But the girl that has worked abroad gets sort of put out to pasture in many ways.  Gratitude from the siblings is often soon forgotten.
I have 28 year old chat friend that I've chatted with for 4 years.  Didn't meet her when I was over there before because of an old boyfriend still on the scene off and on.  She recently saw her 22 year old pretty sister get married to a Filipino guy her own age, and of course she was jealous.  I'm thinking to myself we'll see what happens when her sister's new husband starts cheating on her after they have a kid.  The baby is already on the way. 

So some time has passed since my friend's ex boyfriend hit the road (they all cheat over there), and she now wants to meet me.  Hey I'm 55 and quite sure that she would prefer to have someone 28 her own age, but the options are now zero.  So I think alot of time our value dating in these countries is that the girls have run out of other options.  They would prefer to stay in their own country and meet an educated guy their own age, but they know that is not going to happen.   So you sort of have to come to terms with you not being their 1st choice if you want something long term.  I do believe good relationships develop and there are happy long lasting marriages, but the catilyst for this happening relates to supply and demand in their own country. 

Because of my own divorce after 12 years with a Colombiana, I've been gun shy to jump into anything serious again.  Sometimes it just changes you.  But giving up is also not an option.  Sometimes I think I would like to just spend 5 or 6 months over there per year and leave her there.  Not get married, and just have long term girlfriends.  Not drag them over here and spin the roulette wheel.

I think I'm going over there in January and meet some friends and look around.  No pressure on anything.

Offline Calipro

« Reply #91 on: November 30, 2018, 10:13:43 AM »

So some time has passed since my friend's ex boyfriend hit the road (they all cheat over there), and she now wants to meet me.  Hey I'm 55 and quite sure that she would prefer to have someone 28 her own age, but the options are now zero.  So I think alot of time our value dating in these countries is that the girls have run out of other options.  They would prefer to stay in their own country and meet an educated guy their own age, but they know that is not going to happen.   So you sort of have to come to terms with you not being their 1st choice if you want something long term.  I do believe good relationships develop and there are happy long lasting marriages, but the catilyst for this happening relates to supply and demand in their own country. 

Do you really think that they make a conscious decision to marry an older guy?

In Colombia I have found that chicks want what they need as opposed to American chicks that need what they want.

My ex Colombian wife told me once that Colombians love their families more than Americans love their families. Because she felt that Colombian families are a lot closer on average and got involved in each others lives more than Americans do on average.

I asked her if she thought that the fact that Colombian families need each other more and depend on each other more had anything to do with the fact that Colombian families were closer on average.

She said "No, Colombian families really do care for each other more than American families do.".

So my question is: Do you really think filipinas THINK they love their older husbands less or do they think they love their husbands just as much as a filipina married to a younger guy.

If you are really concerned about being number one.....you should live in a country where men are on top and have a child with the woman you want to be number one with. Then there is very little chance of falling from that lofty position. jajaja
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 03:48:03 PM by Calipro »

Offline utopiacowboy

« Reply #92 on: November 30, 2018, 11:11:03 AM »
My wife used to give me this crap about Colombian families being closer than American families but I have not heard this line from her in years. I see my kids and grandchildren constantly and frequently she takes a pass when I go to their houses to visit. She sees her own children infrequently even though I always go with her when she suggests a visit. I may be an extreme case but I think many American families are very close.

Offline benjio

• Spouse's Country: Brazil
« Reply #93 on: November 30, 2018, 12:13:14 PM »
My wife used to give me this crap about Colombian families being closer than American families but I have not heard this line from her in years. I see my kids and grandchildren constantly and frequently she takes a pass when I go to their houses to visit. She sees her own children infrequently even though I always go with her when she suggests a visit. I may be an extreme case but I think many American families are very close.

I’ve heard the same thing and from my experience I’ve seen as many negative aspects as positive when it comes to that “family closeness.”  Nothing like a jealous Colombian Family in your girlfriend’s ear telling her what a relationship with a gringo should be like. How we should be buying her expensive gifts, going on trips and starting a business for the family. All this ultimately ends up in the relationship ending because you start to realize how much Colombian Women obsess about what other people think of them. Not to mention how many Colombian girls I’ve met that were raped by uncles, cousins and even brothers in their early teens or younger because of that precious “closeness.” And the stealing from one another. God forbid cousin Fredrico leaves his iPod out in the open, unattended during a family gathering. He won’t be seeing that again unless he visits the pawn shop around the corner (TRUE STORY!!!!) The incest (primarily along the coast), domestic violence, rampant alcoholism...all commonplace because of how close families are there.

I love Colombia, the people and the culture but some of the things they are boastful about are laughable when you’ve spent enough time there.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 12:15:08 PM by benjio »

Offline Elexpatriado

« Reply #94 on: November 30, 2018, 03:24:12 PM »
My number one choice would be a Miss Universe multi-millionaire trust find woman who.was like a porn Star in bed, cooked like a gourmet chef, loved the same things I do and would be true and loyal to.me for the rest of my life.

But I cant have that so I will have to be happy with whatever I get. :)

Its called "supply and demand"

I am sure your average 200 lb 50 yo over the wall gringa land whale would include  being married to Brad Pitt as high on her list.

And the Saudíes would love $200 a barrel oil.

And what was it Steve Martin said he wanted for Christmas?

https://youtu.be/yXBfs2iLHRE

« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 03:27:00 PM by Elexpatriado »

Offline Elexpatriado

« Reply #95 on: November 30, 2018, 03:37:38 PM »
I’ve heard the same thing and from my experience I’ve seen as many negative aspects as positive when it comes to that “family closeness.”  Nothing like a jealous Colombian Family in your girlfriend’s ear telling her what a relationship with a gringo should be like. How we should be buying her expensive gifts, going on trips and starting a business for the family. All this ultimately ends up in the relationship ending because you start to realize how much Colombian Women obsess about what other people think of them. Not to mention how many Colombian girls I’ve met that were raped by uncles, cousins and even brothers in their early teens or younger because of that precious “closeness.” And the stealing from one another. God forbid cousin Fredrico leaves his iPod out in the open, unattended during a family gathering. He won’t be seeing that again unless he visits the pawn shop around the corner (TRUE STORY!!!!) The incest (primarily along the coast), domestic violence, rampant alcoholism...all commonplace because of how close families are there.

I love Colombia, the people and the culture but some of the things they are boastful about are laughable when you’ve spent enough time there.

As my nephew would say when I told him about a crazy Colombian  New years Eve Party

"Sounds like something you would see on a First Nations reserve"

Sorry not my intent to sound racist..but the social/cultural similarities have always been striking to me.

Except Colombian women are usually way more beautiful than the women on the reserves (at least in Canada)

« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 03:39:15 PM by Elexpatriado »

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #96 on: November 30, 2018, 07:21:06 PM »
Family life, so called "old fashioned values" we used to talk about having, have been on the decline pretty much world wide, for a while now.

And in a number of 1st world nations that are arguably more 'traditional'-- the birth rate is down to about zero.

My wife spent a couple days in Japan this past summer and was amazed at all the stores and service sector jobs there being done by young people from Nepal.

Other 1st world nations bring people in from the Philippines, and war torn, impoverished middle eastern countries, then piss and moan, eventually taking on racist overtones.

Here in the USA, an incredible amount of young people have the crazy, grandiose notion of entitlement.

The poor suckers haven't a clue that with company pensions basically history,  with so called 'Social Security' looking iffy down the line, that even if they have and DO contribute the typical amount to a 401k or 403 IRA,  they're gonna be way short on living funds thirty years from now.

But the top one percent of wealth holders will sure as hell, have a bigger slice of the pie.

In little more than two years, the "tax reform" cuts to middle class families will be eliminated, as they were only set up for five years. The corporations and wealthiest Americans? Theirs have no expiration date.

Offline Wildstubby

« Reply #97 on: November 30, 2018, 08:56:36 PM »
Robert angel said:
Family life, so called "old fashioned values" we used to talk about having, have been on the decline pretty much world wide, for a while now.

And in a number of 1st world nations that are arguably more 'traditional'-- the birth rate is down to about zero.

My wife spent a couple days in Japan this past summer and was amazed at all the stores and service sector jobs there being done by young people from Nepal.

Other 1st world nations bring people in from the Philippines, and war torn, impoverished middle eastern countries, then piss and moan, eventually taking on racist overtones.

Here in the USA, an incredible amount of young people have the crazy, grandiose notion of entitlement.

The poor suckers haven't a clue that with company pensions basically history,  with so called 'Social Security' looking iffy down the line, that even if they have and DO contribute the typical amount to a 401k or 403 IRA,  they're gonna be way short on living funds thirty years from now.

But the top one percent of wealth holders will sure as hell, have a bigger slice of the pie.

In little more than two years, the "tax reform" cuts to middle class families will be eliminated, as they were only set up for five years. The corporations and wealthiest Americans? Theirs have no expiration date.

That's why I went the route that I did. Personally, I think I have a winner! But it is the family unit that I felt was missing from my life. Sitting down at suppertime, with all personal electronics turned off and not causing a distraction. Being raised in (US) poverty and learning the value of a dollar, I passed that on to my son. I also taught him about putting in the max toward his 401K. When his aunt passed away, he was given a $20K inheritance. He wanted to buy a new car but he had about $15K in student loans at 8.9% for the next 10 years. I showed him the financial differences between the 2 and he paid of his Stafford loan instead. Then, he was able to get a car at 3.0% for 4 years, (which he paid off). So I feel good that I instilled good financial values in him but I worry about the rest of his generation grasping the idea. They will be the ones 'taking care of us!'

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #97 on: November 30, 2018, 08:56:36 PM »

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #98 on: December 01, 2018, 03:02:55 PM »
Robert angel said:
That's why I went the route that I did. Personally, I think I have a winner! But it is the family unit that I felt was missing from my life. Sitting down at suppertime, with all personal electronics turned off and not causing a distraction. Being raised in (US) poverty and learning the value of a dollar, I passed that on to my son. I also taught him about putting in the max toward his 401K. When his aunt passed away, he was given a $20K inheritance. He wanted to buy a new car but he had about $15K in student loans at 8.9% for the next 10 years. I showed him the financial differences between the 2 and he paid of his Stafford loan instead. Then, he was able to get a car at 3.0% for 4 years, (which he paid off). So I feel good that I instilled good financial values in him but I worry about the rest of his generation grasping the idea. They will be the ones 'taking care of us!'

Sounds good, did you by chance mean to write "Stanford"? There are quite a few fine schools out there, but Stanford's in a select few, for sure...

Offline utopiacowboy

« Reply #99 on: December 01, 2018, 03:48:37 PM »
Except Colombian women are usually way more beautiful than the women on the reserves (at least in Canada)

I was in Flagstaff, Arizona last year to watch my grandson play football and about half the high school was Navajo and Hopi. One thing I noticed about the Native girls - they were either unattractive or gorgeous - there were very few in between. At least to my taste.

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5871
Latest: ponttbryr
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 133128
Total Topics: 7864
Most Online Today: 324