It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: 270 yards rushing and 4 tds  (Read 3814 times)

Offline william3rd

270 yards rushing and 4 tds
« on: September 12, 2009, 04:31:10 PM »
my sophomore QB son tore up the JV game this week for their home opener against Rosemead. Final score 40-0. He played backup QB for the varsity game last night in a tough loss to the Rosemead varsity 23-20. He was bored to death since the backup has to constantly be ready to take the field but doesnt get to take the field.
Wild Bill Livingston, Esq.

Offline sean126

Re: 270 yards rushing and 4 tds
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2009, 06:42:26 PM »
WOW!!!!!  Thats great!  Congratulations!

Offline Bear

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2009, 11:23:50 AM »
Glad to hear he's doing well!!  My 3 cubs are starting to get interested too.  They've started watching games with me and know all my teams.  Starting to learn the players names and some of the plays and ref calls.  Even Honey is getting interested because her "cubs" are.  My oldest calls us from Riyadh or chats with his brothers during games.  Still don't know yet if any will actually play since the oldest at home is only 6.  The one I think would do they best seems the most worried about getting hurt.

What does your wife think about football?  I know mine intended to "distract me" at first but has changed to being just as involved as I am.

The Bear Family

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2009, 11:23:50 AM »

Offline william3rd

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2009, 02:29:21 PM »
Check into pop warner out in your area, Bear. They have 6-7 year old teams out here so it should be the same. They look pretty cool strutting around in their gear at that age.

My wife wears Covina Colts gear because billy is playing but they dont have similar sports in Thailand. Muay Thai is the big one, then boxing, then snooker, then golf, then soccer.

Offline raycjs

• Spouse's Country: Colombia
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2009, 06:44:38 AM »
As a father it is so exciting to be on the side lines watching your children do so well in sports and in life. You must be so proud I am happy for you.

Ray
Ray from OHIO

Offline william3rd

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2009, 07:03:00 AM »
Get to live vicariously through the kid-he is far beyond athletically than anything that I was capable of.

Most important in this day and age will be the chance for a scholarship. . . .

Offline Bear

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2009, 07:10:44 AM »
My oldest boy, now in Riyadh, played for the various neighborhood groups.  I remember his first year he was the biggest kid on the 5 y.o. team called Oak Forest Cowboys.  They went all the way to state and won.  Two years later he was the smallest on the team?  He eventually had the size and knowledge, played middle linebacker and tightend for North Mesquite (the last year of their heyday years) before we moved back to Houston.  But just never had the "attitude".  He called the defensive plays well and recognized offensive formations but just couldn't throw his body into the tackles when he was playing LB.  Started on the freshman and sophomore teams , played back up junior year and third string in his senior year as more kids with the "desire" pushed ahead of him.  He was always afraid of that "getting hurt" I guess.  Thats why I am so concern that the cub I think will be the best has started saying things like that.

I intend to start the oldest now in a neighborhood group next year.  He played his second year of "t-ball" last year and won the neighborhood championship game.  He is scheduled to be one of the team leaders this year so I don't want to have him in two sports at one time because he is also doing well in school and his Mom don't play around there.  He either does good or she is all over him.

Does your son have any college preferences?  My last year at UT I went to school with Earl Campbell (I didn't play-too old after 4 years in the Army).  I actually prefer UH though because I went there for 3 years before transferring to UT.  UH beat OSU last weekend and for the 1st time in over 25 years is ranked again.  My boys and I were switching between the two games Saturday trying to watch both. LOL

The Bear Family

Offline william3rd

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2009, 07:48:35 AM »
He wants to go to USC, then he thinks about Texas or Miami. But he looks at the GPA reqs. USC requires a 3.8 for an athlete and he is going to have to work his ass off to get there. . .

I am waiting to see the first report card of the year in another 3 weeks to see whether we are on track or not.

Offline raycjs

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2009, 06:45:24 AM »
Miami is a great school but the campus is not in the best area.  My nephew went to GT and he loved it and the campus is great i have been there many times. They also put a good football team on the field .  best of luck to him  i went though it with my 2 girls the older one graduated last year and the younger one is in her 2nd year. 2 more to go and no more paymets for now.....

Ray
Ray from OHIO

Offline william3rd

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2009, 07:12:34 AM »
2 TDs rushing and 2 passing yesterday. They pulled him in the 4th quarter. Another 40-0 game. Next week is walnut which should be a tougher game.

Offline raycjs

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2009, 08:17:11 AM »
Congrat's tell him to keep up the good work we are all rooting for him...
Ray from OHIO

Offline Ray

• Spouse's Country: The Philippines
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2009, 09:19:54 PM »
Next week is walnut which should be a tougher game.

Why, is Walnut a tough nut to crack?   :D

Offline william3rd

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2009, 07:32:15 AM »
lol-

Actually, they were picked to win the conference.

Tough game. Billy came off the bench late in the first with covina down 21 -0. He engineered 3 scoring drives to tie the game at the half. 175 yards passing and 2 TDs at the half. We were leading 27-24 in the 4th after another 28 yd TD by Billy. We lost late on an 86 yard punt return.  Game ended on a 4th and 5 interception in the end zone.
Almost a fairy tale ending.

Waiting to see if the Trib wrote him up. Other teams cannot stop the 5-spread.

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2009, 07:32:15 AM »

Offline william3rd

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2009, 10:20:52 AM »
Yep- game write up in the SGV tribune today!!!

Offline william3rd

The first varsity start- 200 yards passing and a 97 yard TD
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2009, 11:08:00 AM »
to the other team as they picked billy off and took it to the house. ::)

A drubbing at the hands of a very good Rowland team. Good photos of the team on line.

Next up comes Wilson

Varsity starter now!!!

Offline bcc_1_2

• Spouse's Country: Other Latin America
  • Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2009, 12:50:49 PM »
starting on varsity as a sophmore? that's an accomplishment. With the young kids they always say don't pressure them to play sports or whatever, but I actually disagree with that. My parents got me enrolled into soccer and baseball. And I later took up football and basketball.

A younger cousin of mine went out for baseball (well signed up) and they ended having too many players go out for baseball... so basically they ended up assembling a team based on a bunch of cast offs. My cousin was one of them (since he didn't try out) that ended up on the scrub team. The "coach" they found didn't know anything about baseball. Long story short I took over and all the kids learned how stand in and hit, all 13 of them learned to pitch, and they all played multiple positions. The team ended up going .500 and had 3 guys make the all star team. The worst thing I've seen besides the crazy parents is the forced specialization. No 10, 11, or 12 year old ought to be throwing curve balls.

Personally, I ended up getting D3 and NAIA offers for basketball. At the time I was more interested in chasing tail and drinking beer with friends. As a freshman... well I didn't get kicked off my team... but the coach and I decided it was best if we part ways.  :D But hey for 5 games I did lead the team in scoring.

You don't have to play for USC or even a D1 school. My advice would be to go somewhere you could actually play. It is more fun to play at a small school than sit on the bench at USC. But hell what do I know I dumped the team bus for the girls' dorm.

Retiring in Tela, Honduras is 14,600 days (haha)

Offline william3rd

« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2009, 02:13:11 PM »
I found Kare Youth League for him when he was 7. Year round sports starting with tackle football. Then basketball, baseball, soccer, and track and field. 4 years of football, injured in the 5th. then Azusa raiders, West Covina Bruins, and now Covina Colts.

I strongly believe that exposure to sports at an early age is needed. I didnt have to push my kid very hard. . . once he got started, he took off like a rocket. Just tell him/her- you are going to participate one season, after that, it's the kid's choice to continue. Once they hit teen years, they need to narrow the sports down. Baseball and track went first, then soccer, basketball and football are the only two sports that he still competes in with football being his chosen vocation.

However, it takes a toll on a single parent. I built my practice around taking him to all the practices and games over the years.

I still drop him off at school every morning at 7 and pick him up at 6 or so. The commitment is mine as well.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 04:45:31 PM by william3rd »

Offline sean126

« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2009, 10:27:39 AM »
That's awesome!!!   Congrats!

Offline fathertime

« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2009, 11:37:57 AM »

However, it takes a toll on a single parent. I built my practice around taking him to all the practices and games over the years.

I still drop him off at school every morning at 7 and pick him up at 6 or so. The commitment is mine as well.

In the brief time I met with you guys, it was very clear you had a superb relationship with your boy, so all that rearranging of your schedule will pay you lifetime dividends!

Regarding sports in childhood, I am a big proponent of that as well.  Anything to keep the kids out of trouble in middleschool and highschool is a good thing.  If not sports, then acting, or dancing, or Boy/Girl scouts, keeping the majority of exposure to generally good kids.  What activity is chosen is to some extent, determined by the kid too! ;D

Fathertickingtimebomb!
09/08 saw morena goddess on Jamie's website
09/08Began writing/webcamming future wife
10/08Visited BAQ to meet future wife
12/08 Visited a second time and got engaged
01/09 Visa Paperwork done(williamIII)
02/09quickvisit BAQ
08/09Wife arrives
09/09Got married
11/10 son born

Offline william3rd

« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2009, 12:51:16 PM »
In the brief time I met with you guys, it was very clear you had a superb relationship with your boy, so all that rearranging of your schedule will pay you lifetime dividends!

Fathertickingtimebomb!

Thank you for the compliment!! And it will pay lifetime dividends. A certain irony. . .  my father's dad abandoned him when he was 6. He had trouble relating to us-his kids- so I made it a priority to give my son the relationship that I wish my father had given me - a much more close relationship with my son personally.

My dad was good father and gave my brother and I a lot of opportunities but the interpersonal interaction was not close.

We leave imprints on our kids and they are our immortality. Gotta try to do it right

Offline william3rd

Spoiling Wilson HS Homecoming
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2009, 10:53:10 AM »
Well, we played Wilson HS last night. They had come off a 42-0 drubbing of Blair HS and it was their homecoming game.

Wilson jumped out to a 17-0 lead (they have a great kicking game) and then it was all Covina. Livingston to Avante for a 65 yard TD followed up by a 78 yard drive which left the half time score at 17-13. Livingston led a 64 yard drive culminated by a 38 yd TD to Duran. The defense held Wilson scoreless in the second half while the offense moved the sticks to run down the clock. 21-17 final.

8-16, 181 2 TD and 0 ints

Offline william3rd

« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2009, 05:21:46 PM »
In the CIF playoffs. . .  Played the other contender for 3rd place in the Valle league. Prevailed 7-2 over Pomona.

Kid is the #1 passer in the Valle league, 9th in passing yards for all schools in the SGV and 14th overall in offense. Not bad for a sophomore who only played in the last 7 games.

Offline sean126

« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2009, 06:29:30 PM »
A big congratulations and continued success to your son!  I am very happy for you and will be happier if he comes to U of L if he is still racking up the yardage.   ;D ;D ;D

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2009, 06:29:30 PM »

Offline william3rd

Season's over
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2009, 08:58:34 PM »
Well we lost our playoff game against Azusa and the awards banquet is now set for the 14th.

My kid passed for 1500 yards in 8 regular season games and hit 11 TDs. Started 7 varsity games. 4 passes over 60 yards.  #1 passer in the league. named to the 2nd team, all-league. Probably Team MVP. Not bad for a sophomore. Cant wait to see how he does when he is 16.

He had 10 TDs in his 3 JV games and was on track to break all the JV records when he promoted to first string.

Now we can worry about next season!!!!

Thanks for all of your well wishes. . .

Offline Bear

« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2009, 08:19:26 AM »
Kwel!!  I can hardly wait for my young 'uns to play.

The Bear Family

Offline william3rd

« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2009, 08:37:22 AM »
He started around 7-8 in year round sports. Start em young and see what sticks. Football, basketball, baseball, soccer, track & field. By 11 the sports were being reduced. First baseball went, then soccer, basketball only because the coaches say-do nothing to interfere with your #1 sport whether academically, socially, or athletically. Too much of a chance of injury.

So now it is track, weightroom and football 6 days a week-they took thanksgiving off. I dont have to drop him off before 7  any more because they do it all after school. So the routine is 745AM to 6PM and 2 hours early sunday mornings

Offline Bear

« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2009, 09:02:53 AM »
My oldest cub (6) has played t-ball 2 years in a row, won the city championship last year.  The coach is expecting big things from him this year.  The middle cub (4) will be starting in just a few weeks.  The middle cub watches the college and pro football games with me so I'm thinking he's getting interested in football.

My oldest from the ex started flag football at 6 but I completely missed it this year for my oldest cub.  Being on a different side of town from where I grew up I didn't know where to take him for registration.  Won't make that mistake next year.

I'm putting a lot of pressure on my wife to get her DL because there is just no way I can handle two cubs in sports at the same time, especially around the beginning of "summer work" in April.  She's driven several weekends in a row now so I'm gonna try and get her to take the test on the 18th.  Sign-up starts the same weekend for Spring t-ball.

The Bear Family

Offline Dave H

• Spouse's Country: The Philippines
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2009, 06:52:14 PM »
Hey William,

Your son is pretty amazing! Lots of talent and hard work are really paying off! I wish him continued success!

Dave
The developmentally disabled madman!

Offline william3rd

« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2009, 12:30:43 AM »
It is all his drive and determination. All I gotta do is drive, and cook, and clean, and hassle him about his grades- we cant have any of those nasty ass old B's on that report card if his college will be Division 1.

Appreciate the well wishes from all of you.

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5876
Latest: ponttfsch
New This Month: 4
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 133129
Total Topics: 7864