It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: What Do Your Filipina Wives Think About the Fight  (Read 9813 times)

Offline benjio

• Spouse's Country: Brazil
  • Trips: > 10
What Do Your Filipina Wives Think About the Fight
« on: April 28, 2015, 08:36:51 PM »
Since Pacquiao has become one of the biggest names in boxing I've realized that most Filipinos believe he is unbeatable. Sometimes to the extent that they are willing to wager large amounts of money regardless of who he is fighting. As a matter of fact I'm posting this because a Filipino guy I know here in Rio was jumping down my throat today when I said I think Mayweather will probably win. He pretty much wanted to bet me the equivalent of about $300 USD that Pacman was not only going to win, but knock Mayweather out! Pacquiao is definitely one of history's greatest boxers! His loyal fanbase is well deserved. But what's even more hilarious to me is many Filipinos that aren't even real boxing fans will make audacious claims of Pacman's invincibility. They only watch when he's fighting, so they have no idea how good the opposing fighter is if they haven't previously fought Pac. What I wanted to ask the guys that are married to Filipinas here (not sure how many there are...I only know of Robert and Ray) is if your wife/girlfriend is convinced Pacquiao is going to win the fight without a doubt? Do they even care?

Even Latinos don't support their fighters with such fervent loyalty. Most of the Latinos I know in the states (Mexicans, Puerto Ricans, Argentines, etc.) would usually readily admit their guy was going to get beat when it was their time to step in the ring with Mayweather.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 08:51:56 PM by benjio »

Offline mambocowboy

• Spouse's Country: Colombia
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Re: What Do Your Filipina Wives Think About the Fight
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2015, 08:45:38 PM »
Since Pacquiao has become one of the biggest names in boxing I've realized that most Filipinos believe he is unbeatable. Sometimes to the extent that they are willing to wager large amounts of money regardless of who he is fighting. As a matter of fact I'm posting this because a Filipino guy I know here in Rio was jumping down my throat today when I said I think Mayweather will probably win. He pretty much wanted to bet me the equivalent of about $300 USD that Pacman was not only going to win, but knock Mayweather out! Pacquiao is definitely one of history's greatest boxers! His loyal fanbase is well deserved. But what's even more hilarious to me is many Filipinos that aren't even real boxing fans will make audacious claims of Pacman's invincibility. They only watch when he's fighting, so they have no idea how good the opposing fighter is if they haven't previously fought Pac. What I wanted to ask the guys that are married to Filipinas here (not sure how many there are...I only know of Robert and Ray) is if your wife/girlfriend convinced Pacquiao is going to win the fight without a doubt? Do they even care?

Even Latinos don't support their fighters with such fervent loyalty. Most of the Latinos I know in the states (Mexicans, Puerto Ricans, Argentines, etc.) would usually readily admit their guy was going to get beat when it was their time to step in the ring with Mayweather.
Benjio, Filipinos are irrational about Pacquiao (I work with a lot of them) Take advantage and make that money this weekend.

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
  • Spouse's Country: The Philippines
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2015, 09:17:29 PM »
Since Pacquiao has become one of the biggest names in boxing I've realized that most Filipinos believe he is unbeatable. Sometimes to the extent that they are willing to wager large amounts of money regardless of who he is fighting. As a matter of fact I'm posting this because a Filipino guy I know here in Rio was jumping down my throat today when I said I think Mayweather will probably win. He pretty much wanted to bet me the equivalent of about $300 USD that Pacman was not only going to win, but knock Mayweather out! Pacquiao is definitely one of history's greatest boxers! His loyal fanbase is well deserved. But what's even more hilarious to me is many Filipinos that aren't even real boxing fans will make audacious claims of Pacman's invincibility. They only watch when he's fighting, so they have no idea how good the opposing fighter is if they haven't previously fought Pac. What I wanted to ask the guys that are married to Filipinas here (not sure how many there are...I only know of Robert and Ray) is if your wife/girlfriend convinced Pacquiao is going to win the fight without a doubt? Do they even care?

Even Latinos don't support their fighters with such fervent loyalty. Most of the Latinos I know in the states would usually readily admit their guy was going to get beat when it was their time to step in the ring with Mayweather.

The Filipinos I know, both male and female, to a very large extent are very nervous about the fight. They probably wouldn't let off that they are worried to people outside of their fold though--they're too 'patriotic' if you will, and would put forth a verbal vote of confidence--doing so is good luck and form to many of them.

They're certainly hoping and are fervently praying for him to win. A lot really do think he will win--that he'll come out with his typical, seemlessly unending windmill of punches and that Mayweather will succumb.

But a fair amount of Filipinos are privately worried that Pacquaio--one of 'their own' hasn't been as effective in recent fights, that his legs may be going--the recurrent problems with cramps, that these are troubling signs. Maywaether may be older, but Pacquaio's showing his age a bit more. They worry that Mayweather will survive the first five or so rounds, then stack up the points as Manny becomes unwound a bit.

They know it's a dangerous sport and how Mayweather sucker punched Victor Ortiz--a punch like that--really one punch period, can kill or render a person mentally incapacitated for life

That said, there's a enough boxing knowledge amongst a number of them to acknowledge that Mayweather's a superb defensive fighter who thinks quickly, adjusting strategy in the heat of battle. Aside from his history of domestic violence, I think there's even been an increase, albeit begrudgingly, for Mayweather, including an awareness that he does do things for the poor and hungry--some charitable good deeds and that his bad boy money mouth persona is usually shrewdly calculated.

Some people are betting, but most I know realize the odds made by the pros are pretty close, that making big money isn't going to be easy and as such, most wagers are small. Perhaps the largest ones are made out of pride more than common sense.

They'll be a huge turnout of Filipinos for the fight no doubt, but a lot want it to come and go already--nervousness is building. We have a huge wedding that same Saturday that we're both a big part of--in the wedding party--then the big fight and a party accompanying it at a friend's house--actually we have to decide which friend's home to party and watch it at--we can hardly wait for Sunday already!

A lot of Filipinos are talking about Diddy and Mark Wahlberg betting against each other, putting $250,000 on their respective pick. Unlike those two--for who the amount bet is probably like lunch money, I don't think many bettors stand to double their money if their pick wins on this fight.

http://www.fightinsight.com/boxing-betting-for-dummies/
Whether you think you can or think you can't--you're right!

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2015, 09:17:29 PM »

Offline Ray

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2015, 01:24:27 AM »
benjio,

My wife is not a boxing fan and wouldn't bet 2 cents on the fight.

But millions of Filipinos are rabid boxing fans and many follow the fight game religiously.

Filipinos don't consider Pacquiao to be unbeatable. after all, he doesn't have an unbeaten record. But he is a national hero to most Filipinos and they will bet on him even if they don't think he can win. It's mostly a way to show their national pride. And they love to trash-talk about the fights.

I was in the Philippines back in '75 for The Thrilla in Manila. The whole country was focused on almost nothing else for days leading up to the fight. I think it was a day or two before fight day that President Marcos declared a national holiday and ordered that the fight would be broadcast live on TV across the Philippines.

The promoters were furious because that violated their contract, but Marcos essentially told them that if they didn't like it, they could go fight somewhere else. So the fight went on anyway.

I saw relatively poor Filipinos betting $100, $200, or more on the outcome. That was real big bucks for most Filipinos and probably their life savings for many. The odds were pretty much even over there with Filipinos taking both sides, but I think most of the ladies wanted Frasier to kick Ali's arrogant arse and most of the men were for Ali... LOL

Ray

Offline michaelb

• Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2015, 11:01:58 AM »
Not much of a sports fan, but somebody posting about people betting their loyalty rather than their common sense (or words to that effect) reminded me of my younger days in Oklahoma. Once a year Muskogee Manual Training High School (by law integrated, in fact still about 90% black) played football against Tulsa Booker T. Washington. I'll say one thing for those Manual alumni, they certainly were loyal. It was like free money!

Offline thekfc

• No man was ever wise by chance. Seneca
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2015, 05:40:58 PM »
.....My wife is not a boxing fan and wouldn't bet 2 cents on the fight......
Same here.

I offered to buy the PPV for her to see but her response was (after giving that not interested look) "don't bother".

I will be watching it with some co-wokers.
If we were all forced to wear a warning label, what would yours say?

Offline Ray

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2015, 07:01:05 PM »
I know a Filipina lady who is hosting a Pacquiao Party. Lots of Filipinos are into those every time the Pac Man fights.

Someone with a humongous screen TV pays the $100 PPV fee and all the others bring the lumpia, pansit, rice, assorted pulutan, beer and wine.

Please come back after the fight and tell us cheapskates how badly Manny beat up on Mayweather... 

Offline Ray

Offline Ray

Free TV Pacquiao vs Mayweather
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2015, 08:24:08 PM »
For you cheapskates like me in San Diego, it looks like the fight will be on Tijuana channel 21, en EspaƱol.

The entire country of Mexico will get the broadcast free, as in the Philippines.

Offline Fosgate5

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2015, 03:56:30 PM »
And boxing wonders why it is a dying sport and people are flocking to MMA.

https://www.facebook.com/7secondvideos/videos/908960582474622/?fref=nf

Offline Ray

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2015, 12:04:14 AM »
LOL!

That has to be the most boring fight I have seen in years. No knockdowns, no cuts, no fat lips or black eyes, no real hard punches, NOTHING! The customers who forked over a hundred bucks for the PPV should be pissed and demand a refund...  ;D

It's too bad that these two couldn't have fought 5-6 years ago when they were in their 'prime'. Maybe it would have been a little more entertaining(?)

Neither one of them would make it through one round in MMA...

I think the best part of the fight was the Tacate hoochie-koochie girls. Worst part was Jamie Foxx singing the National Anthem...   :P

Ray

« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 12:55:31 AM by Ray »

Offline Fosgate5

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2015, 06:02:12 AM »
Spot on Ray...and what was with the Mexican national anthem? The only reason I could find online was because Cinco De Myo was in three more days. I'm thinking "and that has what to do with the price of rice in China?"

I honestly can say I have not been so disappointed in a boxing match in let see.....since I got gyped on my last pay per view boxing match to see Tyson chew off Holyfields ear. I missed the whole era of watching Mike Tyson issuing first round beat downs while I was in jr high school and did not know anyone who bought the view time. About the time I did Buster Douglas ended his streak and he got sent to prison shortly after.

I was one of the "occasional boxing fans" until the hHlyfield fight. But MMA was right there to fill in the empty space. I think what we all saw the other night was the death throws of a dying sport.

Heres the entire fight for anyone who has not seen it.
https://www.facebook.com/BoxeoTijuana/videos/484632495021932/

Offline Ray

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2015, 04:46:38 PM »

I believe that the reason for the Mexican Anthem and the free TV in Mexico is because Tecate Beer was the major sponsor... (?)

I did love the rendition of Lupang Hinirang (Philippine National Anthem).

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2015, 04:46:38 PM »

Offline Fosgate5

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2015, 05:37:02 PM »
The real fight was between Jamie Foxx and the national anthem.

Offline mambocowboy

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2015, 06:36:40 PM »
Spot on Ray...and what was with the Mexican national anthem? The only reason I could find online was because Cinco De Myo was in three more days. I'm thinking "and that has what to do with the price of rice in China?"

I honestly can say I have not been so disappointed in a boxing match in let see.....since I got gyped on my last pay per view boxing match to see Tyson chew off Holyfields ear. I missed the whole era of watching Mike Tyson issuing first round beat downs while I was in jr high school and did not know anyone who bought the view time. About the time I did Buster Douglas ended his streak and he got sent to prison shortly after.

I was one of the "occasional boxing fans" until the hHlyfield fight. But MMA was right there to fill in the empty space. I think what we all saw the other night was the death throws of a dying sport.

Heres the entire fight for anyone who has not seen it.
https://www.facebook.com/BoxeoTijuana/videos/484632495021932/
Yes they made 200 million between them and boxing is dead.,

Offline fathertime

« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2015, 07:17:05 PM »
I hadn't watched any boxing in over 15 years, BUT my neighbor opened up his big screen in the garage and had a nice spread of food, so I went over and watched...That was a HORRIBLE and BORING fight.  I don't care who one, but nobody even landed any big punches the entire fight...what a waste of money for all those people that paid at home and in the arena.   

Generally speaking I've boycotted paying for sports since the 90's.  I don't find it reasonable that athletes are now making upwards of 20-30million per season, all on the backs of regular working people seeking a little entertainment. 

Even if a person doesn't go to the game he still winds up paying for it, because we all buy products that advertise on sports channels and those channels are charging more for advertising to pay teams more money, which are then paying the overpaid players.  I get that it is a free market, and I have exercised my right to minimize my own costs and not participate because I don't think it is worth it anymore. 

Fathertime! 
09/08 saw morena goddess on Jamie's website
09/08Began writing/webcamming future wife
10/08Visited BAQ to meet future wife
12/08 Visited a second time and got engaged
01/09 Visa Paperwork done(williamIII)
02/09quickvisit BAQ
08/09Wife arrives
09/09Got married
11/10 son born

Offline Fosgate5

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2015, 07:37:04 PM »
Same here father time. I grew up seeing guys like Ali, Sugar Ray Leonard etc and the weekly fights fade. Boxing can say what it wants but this fight just reinforced for many people why they stopped watching in the first place.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/maurybrown/2015/05/03/mayweather-pacquiao-and-the-death-of-boxing/

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2015, 09:01:07 PM »
That wasn't a fight. It was an extended session of highly trained, tactical self preservation, mixed with a wee bit of dancing and hugging.

Not even 'extended' really--it was actually 36 minutes, with each player given a break every three minutes.

And for that, ladies and gentlemen, each partner was paid approximately $138,000 a second, according to one of the broadcasters!

That said, it was probably one of the very rare occasions in boxing where the so called 'fighters' made more money than their 'promoters'.

Anyhow, after all the hype, we were all 'taken' for a ride. Poor Pacquaio and Mayweather--worried about being 36 and 38 years old already.

I just wish Liam Neeson and Denzel Washington, who are 62 and 60 years old respectively and are still kicking ass on screen as well as at the box office, had staged a 'fight'--it'd probably would have been far more entertaining!

Guy's like Neeson and Washington remind me, I'm still a young buck! LOL
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 09:08:19 PM by robert angel »

Offline mambocowboy

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2015, 09:40:35 PM »
Same here father time. I grew up seeing guys like Ali, Sugar Ray Leonard etc and the weekly fights fade. Boxing can say what it wants but this fight just reinforced for many people why they stopped watching in the first place.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/maurybrown/2015/05/03/mayweather-pacquiao-and-the-death-of-boxing/
Real boxing fans know what to watch. If you think may-pac is all there is to boxing you don't know boxing

Offline Jhengsman

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2015, 10:08:19 PM »
Real boxing fans know what to watch. If you think may-pac is all there is to boxing you don't know boxing
I admit I don't know boxing having given it up after watching Kim Duk-koo get killed. But for peace in the house I have had to buy three losing fights for Pacquiao in recent years. He is a Hall of Famer but he was clearly passed his prime and should shut it down before his Larry Holmes is begging a referee to stop a fight

Offline michaelb

• Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2015, 10:21:55 PM »

Generally speaking I've boycotted paying for sports since the 90's.  I don't find it reasonable that athletes are now making upwards of 20-30million per season, all on the backs of regular working people seeking a little entertainment. 

Fathertime!

Dead right, Fathertime. I've probably mentioned this before, but when I was a little kid one of they guys who worked for my father had been a big league pitcher for a couple of years (Cincinnati, I think) in the late 1940's. I remember him saying when people would ask how much he was paid, "I made twice the money my old man made in the (coal) mines!"

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2015, 04:44:58 AM »

Dead right, Fathertime. I've probably mentioned this before, but when I was a little kid one of they guys who worked for my father had been a big league pitcher for a couple of years (Cincinnati, I think) in the late 1940's. I remember him saying when people would ask how much he was paid, "I made twice the money my old man made in the (coal) mines!"

Back then before 'Free Agents',  pro baseball players typically had off season jobs like bagging groceries or painting houses. A whole family could go out to" the old ball game" for a reasonable price, and still get peanuts,  Cracker Jacks,  a hot dog. It's not just baseball now. Auto racing,  whether Formula 1,  NASCAR etc., costs too much for most working class families to attend actual events. Increasingly, 'promoters' are able to get TV networks to 'black out'  sporting events from local TV viewing,  trying to force fans to cough up more money.

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2015, 09:21:05 AM »
Back then before 'Free Agents',  pro baseball players typically had off season jobs like bagging groceries or painting houses. A whole family could go out to" the old ball game" for a reasonable price, and still get peanuts,  Cracker Jacks,  a hot dog. It's not just baseball now. Auto racing,  whether Formula 1,  NASCAR etc., costs too much for most working class families to attend actual events. Increasingly, 'promoters' are able to get TV networks to 'black out'  sporting events from local TV viewing,  trying to force fans to cough up more money.

Before the 1970's, in other professional sports besides baseball, pro athletes also had to work off season jobs as well. To illustrate how some players tried to make ends meet, there was an occasion when they asked now Hall of Famer, (ten World Series wins as a player --plus 3 more as Manager = 13 WSW's) Yogi Berra:

"Yogi--how'd you like the hotel?" Always frank with the reporters, he replied: "It was great!--the towels were so thick there I could hardly close my suitcase."

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/quotes/quoberra.shtml

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2015, 09:21:05 AM »

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2015, 10:38:57 AM »
I admit I don't know boxing having given it up after watching Kim Duk-koo get killed. But for peace in the house I have had to buy three losing fights for Pacquiao in recent years. He is a Hall of Famer but he was clearly passed his prime and should shut it down before his Larry Holmes is begging a referee to stop a fight

That was sad. It indicates below this clip that the fighter's Mom, as well as the ref, committed suicide in the months after the fight, compounding the tragedy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThQFPJpVtK8

After this fight, very few fights that were allowed to go 15 rounds were officially sanctioned, this particular fight being a major reason for that.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 10:43:46 AM by robert angel »

Offline Fosgate5

« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2015, 05:08:51 PM »

"real boxing fans" is my point. Boxing is simply not the household sport it once was. They are loosing their grip and it is no secret. Yes they still make more than MMA....for now. But every year that goes by MMA gains ground. Believe what you want but when business rags look at the numbers and look at it from a business perspective there is truth that boxing is loosing it's grip.

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5876
Latest: ponttfsch
New This Month: 4
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 133129
Total Topics: 7864
Most Online Today: 176