It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: Sleepy Law Students and Japanese Father-in-Laws  (Read 6469 times)

Offline Bob_S

• Global Moderator
  • Spouse's Country: Japan
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Sleepy Law Students and Japanese Father-in-Laws
« on: March 29, 2006, 11:40:15 PM »
I moved this out of the "Sluts" forum to continue it in a better venue.
Quote from: Jeff S
In Japan, you'll also have to get past her family. I got the blessings of my father-in-law, but Bob S, another regular who married a Japanese girl, didn't, so that threw a bit more complexity into the scene. On the other hand, you can be pretty sure a Japanese girl isn't a green card shark.
Fortunately the old goat had the decency to up and die of a stroke and get out of the way so we wouldn't have him to worry about when we were ready to start making babies.
And yeah, you don't have to worry about J-bird visa sharks.  My wife has no desire to become a citizen.  If I get hit by a bus, she'll raise our new baby girl back in her home town. (Did I mention we have a new baby?)

Quote from: Bataanj
Japanese don't like to marry outside their race, and family approval is a big deal.

Yeah, there is still a lot of that "we are the one true devine race" still latent in the culture, especially in the older generation.  A lot of girls would love to have a foreign boyfriend, but few are willing to go against the family interests if dear old dad is concerned about preserving the bloodline.  Don't expect family approval if the girl has no brothers to carry on the family name.
Thuogh among Japanese expats and Japanese-Americans, the numbers are surprisingly different.  Among the Asian-American groups, they are the most likely to marry someone outside their race.  Go figure.

I usually find that Japanese restaurants populated by Japanese are much better than the gaigin places
Ichiriki across the street gets a mix of gaijin and local Japanese expats.  When the wife says "I want some good food tonight," it means she wants take-out from there (because she's too tired to cook from all the midnight feedings and doesn't trust me in the kitchen).

Here you have Mitsuwa (Torrance, Little Tokyo & Costa Mesa) competing with Marukai (Gardena and Costa Mesa) and throw in a bit of Nijiya in Gardena, and you get some great deals.
We like Mitsuwa's imported grocery selection and their food court.  But when we're jonesing for some nice simple bentos (ready-made box meals), we head to Nijiya on 182nd and Van Ness (not sure if that's Gardena or still in Torrance).

Quote from: jm21
I've known a couple exchange students who went to Japan, and they all said there were a ton of Japanese skinheads.
Skinheads?  Hmf.  Never saw anything like that myself.  Though did see a few bosozoku (biker punk mafia wannabes) and a lot of goth/cosplay kids at Harajuku (Tokyo neighborhood).  J-goths are a strange but harmless lot.  Still, I wouldn't want my little girl growing up to be one of them. (Did I mention the fact that we have a new baby girl?)
...a wife should be always a reasonable and agreeable companion, because she cannot always be young.
- "Gulliver's Travels" by Jonathan Swift

Offline Ray

• Spouse's Country: The Philippines
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2006, 04:05:21 AM »
Hey Bob,

Congratulations to you and the missus on your new addition!

Offline jm21

Re: Sleepy Law Students and Japanese Father-in-Laws
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2006, 08:33:56 AM »
Quote from: Bob_S
I moved this out of the "Sluts" forum to continue it in a better venue.
So what if the Japanese father-in-laws are too much for the sleepy law student and the thread goes off on a vietnamese tangent? :P

Actually was talking with this good friend of mine from college and a friend of his has a buddhist Indian wife who he's been very happy with. I suppose that might be an option too, hadn't thought about India. More English speakers and good food...though a little spicy maybe...

Quote from: Bob_S
Skinheads?  Hmf.  Never saw anything like that myself.
Really? This friend of mine in high school had some great stories about this Romanian guy (another exchange student who was allegedly a total skinhead) he met while in Japan, and how hilarious they all were, hating races without having met any members of them.

Grats on the kid BTW.

Planet-Love.com

Re: Sleepy Law Students and Japanese Father-in-Laws
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2006, 08:33:56 AM »

Offline Montrealer

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2006, 08:44:19 AM »
I suppose that might be an option too, hadn't thought about India. More English speakers and good food...though a little spicy maybe...

I would stay away from India.  I used to go there frequently for my business.  During my trips, I would go out and meet women.  Also met some online prior to trips, so that I could set up dates for my stays.

Let's just say I wasn't all that happy with the outcome.  I dated a few girls, but due to a large majority of restrictions from their families, it all had to be hush-hush.  The one girl that I would describe as free thinking, turned out to be a dancer and when I brought her to my hotel, she demanded money up front.  I refused to pay, she got mad and swore at me, and I ended up changing hotels.

I'm sure there are good girls in India that would make great wives and may come from liberal backgrounds, but the odds are against you.

Also, don't forget that alot of India doesn't like the US.
Send more divers, the last ones tasted great!  -  JAWS

Offline jm21

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2006, 09:15:17 AM »
Quote from: Montrealer
The one girl that I would describe as free thinking, turned out to be a dancer and when I brought her to my hotel, she demanded money up front.  I refused to pay, she got mad and swore at me, and I ended up changing hotels.
Haha, that's great. Not quite sure exactly what you mean by liberal-minded and free-thinking though. Maybe it's just me, but I thought a lot of people who were looking at the possibility of marrying an Asian girl were looking for more traditional/conservative values? Hopefully no one wants an automaton, but I know I for one am not very interested in a girl who's pre-maritally promiscuous, who doesn't have much in the way of family values, who doesn't want to have children, or has no sense of propriety...

edit: hopefully didn't put any words in your mouth, and not trying to insinuate anything. Just not sure exactly what you were referring to. If you meant stay away from India because the girls tend to just do exactly what they're told by family, I'm with you. Briefly looked at some Indian personals and several were written by the girl's parents...wtf is that? I can understand custom, but damn.

Offline doombug

• VAWA certified to be 100% free of wife beating.
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2006, 12:58:34 PM »
Also, don't forget that alot of India doesn't like the US.

What???:shock:  Careful with those generalizations/projections.

The fact is, most Indians like America(ns):

http://pewglobal.org/reports/display.php?ReportID=247

"I can get a great look at a t-bone steak by shoving my head up a bull's ass, but I'd rather take the butcher's word for it."--Chris Farley

Offline Montrealer

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2006, 02:58:54 PM »
My bad.  I didn't realize it.  I was speaking more from my experiences of speaking to people in India.  I came across several people, probably a majority of people that I brought up the subject to, who didn't have anything really nice to say.

Offline Montrealer

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2006, 03:21:35 PM »
I just noticed something, that as a Canadian, had to chuckle a bit.  About 2/3rds down is a chart titled "How western publics view Americans".  What made me chuckle was that Canada gave the highest rating of violent and rude.

I guess to Canada, Americans are very violent and rude, considering we're such a polite and peace loving country.

Again, not an anti-American, but made me chuckle.

Offline jm21

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2006, 04:41:03 PM »
Probably depends on where in Canada too...went up to BC a lot as a kid and never felt anything but welcomed. Not like a Texan is the same as a Californian. I'm sure there are different parts of India hold different general views as well.

As a side note, many Americans don't have much love for Canadians either. Many feel that Canada, with its negligible armed forces, is profiting from the presence of "violent" Americans to the south deterring attack, which enables Canada to have a de minimus defense budget.

Offline Montrealer

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2006, 04:46:43 PM »
We know our defense and military are horrible.  That's why we're a peace loving nation.  We can't handle a war as we're not equipped for it.  At least that's my view.

We always treat everyone nice when they come to Canada, regardless of where there from.  Even if we don't like you, we could still use your money.

Offline flipflop

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2006, 05:29:17 PM »
BS, crossing the Canadian border for an American is a 3rd degree interogation and if they have time (which they usually do) a complete search of your vehicle. Once they tear your car a part they leave all your [snip] layin on the ground for you to put back together.

Like most of western Europe they live high on the  welfare hog with a myriad of social programs including national health care while protected under the umbrella of the US military. The contracts that feed this gluttonous social welfare state  are pre dominately begged off our Military Industrial complex as they undercut the American worker because their private industry doesnt carry the same burden as our industry. As a skilled machinist I know this all to well as the last company I worked for shut down in part because Canadians outbid us for contracts because they dont have to carry expenses such as helath care. While NAFTA was a freakin joke authored by Reagan and signed by Clinton it saved me as I took the retraining opportunity to get a Computer networking degree that will go nice with my BA in business.  But I also know alot of guys who had to settle for 10 bucks an hour no benes if they wanted to keep running a spindle to feed their families.

The people of this country have sacked up and made the sacrifices to compete in a world market. The day of other countries gettin a free ride off our military and economy are getting short

starting with the communist bastion of the west...Canada

Offline Jeff S

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2006, 05:37:19 PM »
Bob:

a lot of goth/cosplay kids at Harajuku

Yamanba?

Ichiriki across the street gets a mix of gaijin and local Japanese expats

Say hi to Peter, the owner. We've been eating his sushi for quite some time. He opened Ichiriki when you were teaching in Japan and invited us to the grand opening. His old shop was Uzushio in Cerritos. Spent many a sake soaked evening in that place singing karaoke.

Congrats, also on your new baby!

- Jeff

Offline Ray

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2006, 05:38:31 PM »
Quote from: flipflop
The people of this country have sacked up and made the sacrifices to compete in a world market. The day of other countries gettin a free ride off our military and economy are getting short

starting with the communist bastion of the west...Canada

Amen to that!

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2006, 05:38:31 PM »

Offline Bataanj

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2006, 05:44:59 PM »
My bad. I didn't realize it. I was speaking more from my experiences of speaking to people in India. I came across several people, probably a majority of people that I brought up the subject to, who didn't have anything really nice to say.

They may have been speaking of Canadians, since you are Canadian,  :D

I always liked Canadians, except some of the French Canadians that winter in South Florida. A rude bunch, most of them. I've met some nice ones too.

Had 2 good childhood friends that were Canadian.

I can hardly tell the difference between Americans and Canadians alot of times. In '04 I worked with a guy from Canada, been here 15 years married to an American gal, who slept with his best friend. He gave the impression that Canadians think Americans are stupid. Not nice.

I may not like some of the liberal policies of Canada, but I , for one, consider them our friends. Like Britain and Australia, but that's just me.

A Canadian was killed in Afghanistan the other day. They are with us in most military endeavors, just not Iraq. I remember the picture of Canadian troops landing on D-Day in WW2, they were on bicycles. LOL! Always got a kick out of that.

Ever seen the South Park movie about war between the U.S and Canada? Totally hilarious.

As for India, I've never been. I don't like many that I've met. Some I do. Matter of fact, a convenience store clerk in Texas, that I knew for years and considered a good friend (worked for him a while, drove his kid to school sometimes, hung out alot with him at the store), actually attacked me on election night after I told him I voted for Bush. He went berzerk,. Locked the door automatically and attacked me with a cane. I called the cops from my house on him. Never went back to the store again. We had never talked politics, I guess. He was screaming, "All you white motherf'ers, like Bush!! Why? Why?" It was nuts.

Most Indians I have known have been from Punjab. They think they are better than all other Indians. They are money hungry. They own the stores here and land back home. I like Sikhs(sp?). My landlord in Texas for 5 years was one. He was ok, but a lousy land lord. His wife was very nice though. He wore the turban and those Ali- Baba slippers that curl at the end. I want a pair of those.  :D

I had Indian friends in school and they usually smelled bad. They said it was the oil in thier hair, dunno. I remember one poor kid who was a Sikh, he had a hankerchief on his head with a ball of hair under it (a mini turban). Other kids always pulled it off. He was a quit, nice kid. Probably hates Americans now, though. LOL!

The women I've met, some have a bit of a "scent" as well. Some are very pretty.

Just my thoughts...

Take Care,
Jay

Offline jm21

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2006, 06:08:49 PM »
Bob:

a lot of goth/cosplay kids at Harajuku

Yamanba?

Hahahahaha...that's hilarious....sorry, couldn't help myself. Lifestyle choices should be respected, or something like that.

Jay:
I always noticed that there was some sort of smell with a lot of Indian people too, but pretty good friends with this Indian guy down here and never noticed it from him. Might be something to the hair thing, who knows.

Beautiful women all over the world. Maybe less on average in some places, but that's more a matter of opinion I think.

Offline Montrealer

« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2006, 09:21:40 PM »
The french Canadians are the worst of Canada in general.  And lucky me, I live in Quebec, where the population is about 75% french, but luckily Montreal is about 50-50.

As for the thought that Americans are dumb by Canadians, I don't think that's general.  But I do think a fair percentage of Canadians do think that Americans are lazy.  Personally, I don't think Canadians are much better when it comes to that field.

You are right about Canada helping out in every major war, excluding the Iraqi war.  And in retrospect, it was the right thing to do based on the now known presence of WMD's, which was Bush's selling point for trying to persuade us to join the coalition.  As for us helping you out on bike's, I've never seen that photo, but it wouldn't surprise me.  However, for the longest time in 80's and early 90's we had one of the highest qualified Air Force divisions in the world.  Many countries, including the US, still use our training facilities and techniques to this day.

If you want to see something even funnier than the South Park episode, rent the movie called Canadian Bacon.  It's about a US president during peace time, who is suffering in the polls.  To increase popularity he starts a war with Canada.  It's more of a media war and threats, but it gets taken to levels of hilarity that are pretty good.  It does star Michael Moore, but he is not in the movie for political purposes, just as a comedy relief.

Indians do smell bad in general, and this is because the hygene over there is really poor.  They don't bathe daily there because of lack of water.  Many don't use toilet paper, but they use a faucet and bucket.  I still don't know the trick to using it, and whenever I had to take a dump, I went back to my hotel from the offices that I was training.

However, when you look at the history of Miss Universe/World, they have a high winning number.  The hot women are very hot, but the majority are very not.

Offline jm21

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2006, 09:46:35 PM »
Many don't use toilet paper, but they use a faucet and bucket.  I still don't know the trick to using it, and whenever I had to take a dump, I went back to my hotel from the offices that I was training.
This good friend of mine, muslim afro-american, uses a water bottle isntead of toilet paper. I forget what we were talking about when that came up, but he though people who used toilet paper were filthy. Personally I thought he was talking about giving himself a make-shift enema or something when I heard it and was a little wary.

Offline Montrealer

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2006, 09:57:10 PM »
I remember one office I was training.  I had some bad curry or tandori, and couldn't make it back to my hotel within the 30 seconds I needed to go.  I had to squat over a whole in the ground that had 2 ceramic foot rests on the sides.  I was afraid of ruining my pants during the squat, so I took them off and went.  Then I used the water from the faucet and my hand.  The little bucket alone just wasn't reaching.  Then I washed my hand for the next hour.

That was my last trip to Bangalore and my second to last trip to India.

One thing that always made me think.  With all the cows on the streets in Delhi, and the bad drivers and speeding, how come you never see any dead cows on the streets or at least injured.  I know cows are treated like gods over there, but you would think that accidents got to happen eventually?

Offline Humabdos

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2006, 10:48:35 PM »
Then I used the water from the faucet and my hand.  The little bucket alone just wasn't reaching.  Then I washed my hand for the next hour.

I hope you used your left hand to wash your ass with!  Remember the left hand is for wiping your ass the right for eating :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Hum
Taga Bukid KA!
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in
a pretty and well preserved body, But rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming
WOW----WHAT----A RIDE!!!

Offline Bataanj

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2006, 11:18:10 PM »
Here it is....

Offline Montrealer

« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2006, 11:29:58 PM »
Got to love a Canadians effort.

That's just too funny.  The sad thing is, I think we're still using the same bikes in the army today. :lol:

Offline Bataanj

« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2006, 12:03:09 AM »
They are actually the second wave of Canadians at Juno Beach. I still wonder what the hec they had bikes for.

Your right , gotta love the effort. I first saw this pic as a very young boy. I think that's what first endeared the Canadian military to me, also Canadians in general.

However! That extra liberal attitude up there has got to go!  :roll:

Take Care,
Jay

Offline Montrealer

« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2006, 12:06:23 AM »
Me being a die hard liberal, I'm not going anywhere.  And I plan to make as many liberal babies I can.

It's the right wingers that need to go.  There the ones that make all the mistakes and hold the human race from moving forward.  But that's okay, I'm not going to discuss politics with you, simply because I don't follow enough of it to keep a good argument.

I see I'm the not only one that can't sleep either.

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2006, 12:06:23 AM »

Offline Bataanj

« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2006, 12:54:12 AM »
I'm not going to discuss politics with you, simply because I don't follow enough of it to keep a good argument.

I'm just joking around. I don't want to discuss politics either. Especially at this hour.  :)

I'm about to sleep after this post, but I will pay for it 4 hrs. from now when I wake up for work. Sleep? what is that?? I think I remember it from my youth.  :D

For me it seems about 3 seconds of shut eye till time to wake for work.

Gnight Montrealer.
Jay

Offline Montrealer

« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2006, 01:09:33 AM »
For when you wake up, do a search on a Sundance Film Festival film entitled "HA HA HA America".  It's a film showing how China is better than the US.  It's quite a riot, in that 'it's funny cause it's true' category.

G'nite

Offline Jeff S

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2006, 10:39:14 AM »
Who here loved the movie Canadian Bacon? I know, I know, it was made by Michael Moore-on, but it was back when he didn't claim his fiction was documentaries, and he didn't try to disguise the fact that his movies were only made to get laughs. Starring John Candy, of course, a Canadian.

Some great lines from it:

Gus: Canadians are always dreaming up a lotta ways to ruin our lives. The metric system, for the love of God! Celsius! Neil Young!

[TV Announcer describes the Canadian National Tower in Toronto] TV Announcer: It is the height of six American football fields, or five Canadian football fields. As if Canadian football really counts.

Smiley: When have you ever heard anyone say, "Honey, lets stay in and order Canadian food"?

TV Announcer: Think of your children pledging allegiance to the maple leaf. Mayonnaise on everything. Winter 11 months of the year. Anne Murray - all day, every day.

Roy Boy: Are you sure we're in Canada? Honey: You smell anything? Roy Boy: No. Honey: Exactly. Canada!

RCMP Officer at Headquarters: I don't know what you're talking aboot, eh? Kabral: Aboot! It's ABOUT! And what's with this 'eh' business? Roy Boy: [pointing a gun] We have ways of making you pronounce the letter O, pal.

- Jeff

Offline flipflop

« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2006, 03:06:06 PM »
I'd walk around with a crusty ass before stickin my hand up there to wipe it. People like you are the reason I wash my hands every chance I get and make concerted efforts not to touch anything in public

Offline Montrealer

« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2006, 03:10:20 PM »
With Indian food, you don't really get "crusty ass", it's more like "gooey ass", so you don't really have a choice.  But just think of me next time your at a food court and they put your food on the tray.  That tray could have been mine. :twisted:

Offline Ray

« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2006, 04:52:26 PM »

Offline Montrealer

« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2006, 05:23:20 PM »
That's hilarious.   :lol:

Sponsor Twr1R