It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: medellin to get more police, but an 88% increase in disappeared persons later fo  (Read 1076 times)

Offline mudd

• Commercial Member
  • Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: > 10

Medellin received 1,000 police officers on Tuesday, in a ceremony officiated by Colombian President Juan Manuel Santos and Defense Minister Juan Carlos Pinzon.
“More police officers and a stronger security presence are some of goals that we hope to accomplish in the country,” said Santos, according to the newspaper Vanguardia.
The new police reinforcements are an addition to the 1,000 police officers that had previously been installed in Medellin, bringing the total to 2,000 new police officers in recent months.
Santos  also called on the mayor of Medellin, Anibal Gaviria, to work with the backing of the government as a means of maintaining security in the city.
“This administration has done what no other was able to. It has brought justice to Medellin. Medellin has a much lower crime rate than other major cities in the country, which has to do with the number of police officers,” responded Gaviria. According to Vanguardia, she went on to describe the amount as a “historic number,” which will “continue contributing to the security of Medellin.”
On the same day, Santos announced that his administration will make a new effort to tackle criminal gangs that are engaged in micro-extortion and micro-trafficking.
“I have given instructions to the police, commanders of the Armed Forces, and DefenseMinister Juan Carlon Pinzon, that our next high-priority objective are the criminals that belong to micro-extortion and micro-trafficking gangs, because that is where crime is originating.”
In regards to Medellin, Colombia’s second largest city, Santos said, “It is no longer the city that everyone remembers, all the cartel bosses are in the grave.”
Despite the statements made by both politicians, a report released by the Medellin ombudsman in February revealed both a 20% increase in disappearances in the Medellin area for 2013, and an 88% increase in disappeared persons later found murdered.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 11:25:22 PM by mudd »

Offline Zon

• Trips: None (yet)
I have traveled near and far in Colombia.  I always felt Medellin was red hot. 

Offline mudd

• Commercial Member
a report released by the Medellin ombudsman in February revealed both a 20% increase in disappearances in the Medellin area for 2013, and an 88% increase in disappeared persons later found murdered.

yep, RED HOT  :o

Planet-Love.com

Offline Elexpatriado

• Trips: Resident
Calis worse..

Offline mudd

• Commercial Member

Calis worse..

heyyy hater, hows cali?   jeje, driving rigo crazy yet? jajajajja see you next month

Offline mudd

• Commercial Member

Offline Awesome

• Trips: 1 - 3
Medellin received 1,000 police officers on Tuesday,

I imagine this has something to do with the BOMB THAT KILLED 4 PEOPLE AND INJURED SEVERAL POLICE OFFICERS that was set off in el centro a couple of weeks ago.  The gangs claimed responsibility for the attack so I guess the government has no other choice but to start gearing up to be able to confront the gangs head up.

It's like the old saying "things are gonna get worse before they get better".  Hopefully the situation doesn't get too bad.

Anybody in medellin right now?  What's the general feeling among the people there like?  I remember when I was in town during a riot in el centro, for a good week afterwards people were noticeably on edge in the shops and eateries around el centro.  I got that same vibe when I was in monterrey mexico a couple years ago when everyday on the news there were reports of at least 4 or 5 bodies turning up dead.  You could literally feel the tension in the air in any public place around the city.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 08:05:15 PM by Awesome »

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5875
Latest: ponttfsch
New This Month: 4
New This Week: 3
New Today: 1
Stats
Total Posts: 133129
Total Topics: 7864