It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: tons of trash going down river, heading out to sea.  (Read 1940 times)

Offline mudd

• Commercial Member
  • Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: > 10
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 03:34:33 PM by mudd »

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
  • Spouse's Country: The Philippines
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Re: tons of trash going down river, heading out to sea.
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2018, 09:31:16 PM »
It's hard to define the exact size because the Pacific Ocean grinds plastic trash up into particulate matter and the currents taking it to different depths makes satellite imaging difficult.

But just one area of the "Great Pacific Garbage Patch"
is estimated to be somewhere between the size of Texas and Russia.

The United Nations estimates that there will be more total weight in plastics in the oceans than the weight of ALL the fish by 2050.

My brother in law is an international Merchant Mariner and says there are some areas out in the oceans with larger, very visible pieces of trash, all swirling round and round, in vast vortexes.

If we're not busy enough killing off the coral reefs, the rain forests and vegetation cover area that gives us replenished oxygen, we're doing a real number killing off the oceans.

And they all contain vast resources that could potentially lead to medicines that would be of great value if not lost.
Whether you think you can or think you can't--you're right!

Offline benjio

• Spouse's Country: Brazil
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018, 10:13:00 AM »
Recently there have been some new, very innovative inventions and ideas in an effort to clean up the oceans. Eventually, as a species that depends so much on marine wildlife, they'll have to be significant investments made by the world's governments to implement these campaigns on a global scale.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/inventions-that-clean-the-ocean_us_5938be94e4b0b13f2c66ee01

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018, 10:13:00 AM »

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2018, 10:40:32 AM »
Recently there have been some new, very innovative inventions and ideas in an effort to clean up the oceans. Eventually, as a species that depends so much on marine wildlife, they'll have to be significant investments made by the world's governments to implement these campaigns on a global scale.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/inventions-that-clean-the-ocean_us_5938be94e4b0b13f2c66ee01

Very little is impossible, but when pollution produces profit, as it often does, it makes it a lot harder. So does ignorance and poverty. Anyone who's been to impoverished 3rd world countries,  has seen trash everywhere.

Last time I was visiting the beautiful beaches around Cebu City, Philippines, I had to wear some sort of shoes, there was so much trash on the sea bottom.

Some ocean fisheries that were almost extinct, such as swordfish, are now robust again. Inland, Lake Erie (and the interconnected Great Lakes contain a whopping twenty percent of the entire planet's freshwater) was such a polluted dead zone, that parts of it used to occasionally catch fire, what with all the gas and oil---and that was just on the surface. It's healthy again today and locals and tourists alike flock there to catch fish--fish they can actually eat. Tourism = money.

Today, at a market we like to go, they usually have swordfish, ahi tuna or red snapper on sale for $7.99-$8.99--all wild caught. Sometimes, huge scallops (not stamped out shark meat) for $9.99. Yea, that's steak money,  but there's no fat to burn off or bone to toss. An hour ago, I pulled out a plank of salmon, put some sesame oil, balsamic vinegar, lemon salt/pepper, garlic and dill spice on it, so I can add ghee butter later, wrap it up in foil with some sweet onion and cook in on the BBQ when wifey gets home. Probably will pull it right b4 it's, done and blacken it a little bit on the grill. But our cheap ass grill could melt glass on it's lowest setting, so it'll take about a minute. Hate over cooked food, espec fish.

Why is it so hard to find a decent propane BBQ grill that doesn't rust or cost thousands?

I was cooking pork belly strips on it yesterday and had like a 4 foot high flame up that got wayyy too close to our home's roof eaves. Have moved the grill back some!!!!
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 06:28:10 PM by robert angel »

Offline Wildstubby

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2018, 03:53:12 PM »
Robert angel said:
Why is it so hard to find a decent propane BBQ grill that doesn't rust or cost thousands?
I just retired a Webber (original) Genesis that I had for almost 26 years with a new one. Sure it cost me $650, but it will probably be the last one I will ever own!

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2018, 06:17:24 PM »
Robert angel said:I just retired a Webber (original) Genesis that I had for almost 26 years with a new one. Sure it cost me $650, but it will probably be the last one I will ever own!

I remember about 25 years ago, we bought a pretty big, mid price grill from Sears (we probably won't be saying "Sears" much 25 years from now) anyway, the dang grill wasn't even completely out in the rain, but in less than two years it was rusted trash. Done.

But the cardboard BOX it came in lasted 5 or 6 years, serving intermittently as a makeshift house/fort for our sons and more often as a sturdy toy box, over flowing with toys, including heavy, metal Tonka, Nylint trucks and more.

It was a great box!

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2018, 07:19:19 AM »
Obviously that great cardboard box was 'recycled' for other uses, and millions have looked on with bemusement when kids were given toys, only to show more interest in the box than with the toy.

But did you know that there's a toy Hall of Fame and that before Lionel Trains, the rubber ducky, Twister --a lot of toys, that the cardboard box was officially voted in as a toy?

It's all about imagination and kids actually ought to have some time to get 'bored' and have to come up with their own activities and ideas to keep themselves preoccupied.

A problem today is that especially with video games, hundreds of TV channels and other electronics, kids no longer have time to be bored. Boredom has lead to a lot of great, original things.

Today, if you show them an old black and white classic movie, or worse yet, expect them to attend to a class room teacher for 45 minutes and they just can't. Their minds are wired to expect a 120 milisecond screen refresh rate.

Tell a kid he can't play with toy guns and he's likely to get couple sticks and 'make' one anyway. Hell, there was one kid who was suspended from school when he picked up a curved french fry in the school cafeteria and pointing it at another kid, said 'bang'....
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 11:10:13 AM by robert angel »

Offline buencamino2

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2018, 04:09:05 PM »
Just recently there were images on the net of a whale that diedfrom consuming a cuantity of plastic bags. There are plastic bags that deteriorate from sunlight and their use should be obligatory worldwide. In Cali there is now a charge, tax or what ever on the plastic bags needed to pack your purchases. On sale at all the stores are heavy duty Treusable shopping bags that you can put your purchases in instead. These are great. they´re really strong and hold as much weight as you´re willing to carry. The only one hat ever  failed me was from Home Center. You´d think they´d supply stronger bags for purchases of heavy goods. I had a couple of visitors from the US who after we visited all the crafts kiosks in barrio San Antonio bought these bags to bring back to their Friends. They have nice images of jaguars, guacamayos or herons on them. Back to the trash: Steven Hawking said the human species will probably have to abandon planet earth somehow and move to Mars or other as our activities Will eventually make earth uninhabitable for species like ourselves. That is if there isn´t another good whack before hand by a good sized meteor like the one that finished off the dinosaurs 66 million years ago.

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2018, 05:17:19 PM »
Just recently there were images on the net of a whale that diedfrom consuming a cuantity of plastic bags. There are plastic bags that deteriorate from sunlight and their use should be obligatory worldwide. In Cali there is now a charge, tax or what ever on the plastic bags needed to pack your purchases. On sale at all the stores are heavy duty Treusable shopping bags that you can put your purchases in instead. These are great. they´re really strong and hold as much weight as you´re willing to carry. The only one hat ever  failed me was from Home Center. You´d think they´d supply stronger bags for purchases of heavy goods. I had a couple of visitors from the US who after we visited all the crafts kiosks in barrio San Antonio bought these bags to bring back to their Friends. They have nice images of jaguars, guacamayos or herons on them. Back to the trash: Steven Hawking said the human species will probably have to abandon planet earth somehow and move to Mars or other as our activities Will eventually make earth uninhabitable for species like ourselves. That is if there isn´t another good whack before hand by a good sized meteor like the one that finished off the dinosaurs 66 million years ago.

I have seen the enemy. It's us.

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2018, 09:59:43 AM »

Plastic bags floating in the ocean not only look like jelly fish, but their motion mimics them. And of course, a lot of sea creatures eat them.

One animal that won't though is a dolphin, porpoise. I've been out at sea fishing and with my hand a bit over the side in my right hand, holding squid ready to be put to the hook in my left, had porpoises snatched it out of my hands, without even nipping my fingers. Happened twice and shocked the heck outta me. Never had one take a hook in the water either. Smart animals indeed.

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5871
Latest: ponttbryr
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 133128
Total Topics: 7864
Most Online Today: 331