It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: 36 Stratagems and Chinese culture  (Read 2906 times)

Offline AmazingAtheist

36 Stratagems and Chinese culture
« on: December 17, 2008, 09:15:04 PM »
Someone made me aware of these recently and I just not really got the chance to read them in depth.Honestly it just seems like 36 ways to decieve someone to get what you want.Is this really deep rooted in the culture like other things?

In case you haven't read them,here they are....http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thirty-Six_Strategies

I am hoping this is not something deep seated or I am just reading it wrong.

Offline Jeff S

• Global Moderator
  • Spouse's Country: Japan
  • Trips: > 10
Re: 36 Stratagems and Chinese culture
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2008, 05:56:13 AM »
It's VERY deep seated in the business world. Less so in interpersonal relationships.

- Jeff

Offline Capstone

• Spouse's Country: China
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2008, 09:43:22 AM »
I have also heard about this several times in the past and it is my own personal opinion that it is way overblown. I first came across this right after I had met my  fiancee and was researching Chinese culture and to tell you the truth became a little worried about it. I even read where several people claimed that the 36 stratagems were actually taught in Chinese schools and was part of the curriculum. However, my fiancee is a high school teacher so I decided to ask her about this and her response was that she had never even heard about the 36 stratagems or anything similar and that they were not part of the curriculum in the school where she teaches.

Now with that being said, there are definitely many cutthroat Chinese businessman out there who are looking for any sort of weakness in which they can take advantage of you in order to squeeze another dollar out of you. And there are many, many Chinese who are absolutely fixated on making as much money as they can via both moral and immoral means. However, I have lived and worked in 5 different countries and it is my experience that there is no greater deceit and/or manipulation than what goes on in the American Corporate world.

Just my 2 cents ;D   

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2008, 09:43:22 AM »

Offline Dave H

• Spouse's Country: The Philippines
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2008, 11:22:40 AM »
Hey AmazingAtheist,

Just read the book 'The Art of Shen Ku' and you will be prepared for anyone...anywhere!  ;D

Dave

The developmentally disabled madman!

Offline Jeff S

• Global Moderator
  • Spouse's Country: Japan

Offline AmazingAtheist

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2008, 03:28:47 PM »
It's VERY deep seated in the business world. Less so in interpersonal relationships.

- Jeff
Ok thats what I was worried about.I dont think I will be doing much business in China unless I have to.
I have also heard about this several times in the past and it is my own personal opinion that it is way overblown. I first came across this right after I had met my  fiancee and was researching Chinese culture and to tell you the truth became a little worried about it. I even read where several people claimed that the 36 stratagems were actually taught in Chinese schools and was part of the curriculum. However, my fiancee is a high school teacher so I decided to ask her about this and her response was that she had never even heard about the 36 stratagems or anything similar and that they were not part of the curriculum in the school where she teaches.

Now with that being said, there are definitely many cutthroat Chinese businessman out there who are looking for any sort of weakness in which they can take advantage of you in order to squeeze another dollar out of you. And there are many, many Chinese who are absolutely fixated on making as much money as they can via both moral and immoral means. However, I have lived and worked in 5 different countries and it is my experience that there is no greater deceit and/or manipulation than what goes on in the American Corporate world.

Just my 2 cents ;D  

Yeah I was reading over it last night and I was like "Whoa hold on a sec."If its not something I would have to worry a great deal about in a personal relationship.

Lol the business men sound like the ones I work with here at home.Always needing one more dollar to add to their bank roll.

Hey AmazingAtheist,

Just read the book 'The Art of Shen Ku' and you will be prepared for anyone...anywhere!  ;D

Dave

Know where I can but that book? :P

Offline bael75

• Probie
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2009, 06:39:49 PM »
Believe it or not, Amazon.com has a few copies and it lets you look at the pages.  For as cheesy as the cover seems (almost like a comic book I've seen)  it has a lot of info from someone who actually traveled enough to "field test" said info.
"We few, we happy few, we band of ruthless b@st@rds!"

-Blackadder

Offline jm21-2

• Spouse's Country: Taiwan
  • Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2009, 12:23:08 AM »
I have been reading æ°´æµ’ä¼  (water margin, bandits of the marsh, various other translated titles) and deception is the name of the game. What I really don't understand is when they do something like commit heinous acts in some guy's name in order to get him to join their band. "Well, we frame him as a criminal so that he can't return to his official duties, and then he'll obviously have to join us!" I really don't get that logic. I mean, maybe if you did it and then pretended to be on his side and acted like it never happened, but they always tell him "oh ya, that was us, we killed a bunch of villagers while dressed up like you" and he goes "well, that was a really dirty thing to do, but ahhhh shucks, I can't hate you guys, sure I'll join your band!" I know it's a fictional piece, but all fiction has some sort of basis in experience/reality.

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5876
Latest: ponttfsch
New This Month: 4
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 133129
Total Topics: 7864
Most Online Today: 165