It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: PLANE CRASHES  (Read 4102 times)

Offline benjio

• Spouse's Country: Brazil
  • Trips: > 10
PLANE CRASHES
« on: July 24, 2014, 06:18:53 AM »
Yet another flight missing in the Eastern Hemisphere today after a plane crash in Taiwan killed 41 yesterday. With the missing Malaysian Airline Flight earlier this year, and the other that was shot down recently, it's extremely difficult for me to believe these are all isolated incidents.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-28465010
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 06:44:15 AM by benjio »

Offline kai #2

• The Traveling Swordsman
  • Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Re: PLANE CRASHES
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 07:58:44 AM »

Funny you said that because I was thinking the same thing. I woke up and saw the headlines, the only thing I could say, "Another one?!"

Yet another flight missing in the Eastern Hemisphere today after a plane crash in Taiwan killed 41 yesterday. With the missing Malaysian Airline Flight earlier this year, and the other that was shot down recently, it's extremely difficult for me to believe these are all isolated incidents.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-28465010

Offline benjio

• Spouse's Country: Brazil
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2014, 01:23:30 AM »
Yet another one. I'm well aware of the statistics on air travel in comparison to driving but the frequency of events like this in the East would give me a moment of pause before jumping on any flight if there were another travel option.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2888862/AirAsia-flight-Indonesia-Singapore-loses-contact-air-traffic-control.html

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2014, 01:23:30 AM »

Offline Elexpatriado

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2014, 07:31:33 AM »
If they put in all the bus crashes, car and other  auto  deaths that happened in asia and south america it would fill several 100 pages of the news sites every day.

Statistically you are 10-20 times at risk going by bus or car or 200 to 400 times the risk by motorcycle.

of course any type oftravel in any developing country is 3 to 4 times as risky as in North America or Europe, and even higher in Africa and the Former Soviet countries.
So pick your poison.

At least with a bus you can sometimes choose to get out. Which I did once on a mountain road in Nepal a few weeks ago. Wish I could have done it on my last Manizales to Medellin trip.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 07:33:50 AM by Elexpatriado »

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
  • Spouse's Country: The Philippines
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2014, 08:41:13 AM »
Yet another one. I'm well aware of the statistics on air travel in comparison to driving but the frequency of events like this in the East would give me a moment of pause before jumping on any flight if there were another travel option.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2888862/AirAsia-flight-Indonesia-Singapore-loses-contact-air-traffic-control.html

Haha--Just as we're looking into booking flights Cathay or Japan Airlines! (and flights are as cheap as we've seen in ten years now) Then, continuing on connecting flights on propeller (puddle jumper) planes, to the hinterlands of that 7000+ island area. Hell, if we survive the flight/s, the three hour bus ride to her parents place out in the boondocks might be our end. The mountains are so steep,  the narrow roads full of hair pin turns and the drivers pass with reckless abandon. Nothing like coming around turn at 5000 ft on the wrong side of the road, no safety rails, passing an overloaded farm truck doing 10 klicks an hour--another coming from the other direction, just around the bend. You've got one eye on the stoney ravine wayyyy below, another on the truck, your ears listening and praying for the brakes and you feel like you're about to vomit up your own heart. Funny how I suddenly remember my Catholic prayers sometimes...

"If the lightning don't get you--the thunder will"
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 10:52:33 AM by robert angel »
Whether you think you can or think you can't--you're right!

Offline fathertime

• Spouse's Country: Colombia
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2014, 12:58:46 PM »

At least with a bus you can sometimes choose to get out. Which I did once on a mountain road in Nepal a few weeks ago. Wish I could have done it on my last Manizales to Medellin trip.

Hey Expat,

I find this interesting.  Can you go into more detail regarding what made you exit the bus in Nepal?  Also what was the Manizales to Medellin trip like?  I'm assuming that both the bus rides were petrifying at times.  I hate being in a position like that when I have no control, but to just sit there.

Fathertime!
09/08 saw morena goddess on Jamie's website
09/08Began writing/webcamming future wife
10/08Visited BAQ to meet future wife
12/08 Visited a second time and got engaged
01/09 Visa Paperwork done(williamIII)
02/09quickvisit BAQ
08/09Wife arrives
09/09Got married
11/10 son born

Offline Elexpatriado

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2014, 02:05:31 PM »
The Nepal ride was on a mountain gravel (actual Rocky) back country road to the trailhead of our groups trek. Basically sections with big rocks and deep holes inclined at about 15% grade with 2oo foot drop on one side. Besides our group of 12,there were our Sherpas (guides) and a few kitchen crew, plus the driver picked up a bunch of locals on the way to stand in the aisles. I had a women with a baby next to me the baby was slobbering and kicking me. We didn't allow people to sit on the roof of the bus like some other buses we passed.

Anyway, when went over one particularly rocky and steep section with a big drop on one side, the bus started rocking side to side quite violently , and I got really perturbed. When we came to anther section steeper and rockier, I and a lady got out and walked the section and boarded the bus later.If anyone has been on a secondary road high in the mountains or back country in the Andes, Himalayas or Karakorum, they know what I am talking about. Only other way to get an idea if you 4WD in the mountain ranges of Western North America..but instead of a stable SUV imagine a shaky bus.Luckily we had a Jeep on the other side of the trek.

Scariest bus ride Ive been on including in the Andes in Colombia, Peru, Bolivia and the Pamir mountains in China.

Ill fill you in on the Manizales to Med bus ride later. Different kettle of fish.

Hey Expat,

I find this interesting.  Can you go into more detail regarding what made you exit the bus in Nepal?  Also what was the Manizales to Medellin trip like?  I'm assuming that both the bus rides were petrifying at times.  I hate being in a position like that when I have no control, but to just sit there.

Fathertime!
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 08:54:23 PM by Elexpatriado »

Offline Gavan

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2014, 02:41:35 PM »
If anyone has been on a seconsdary road high in the montains aor back country in the Andes, Himalayasor Karakorum, they know what I am talking about.   

Yeah, sounds very similar to the the roads in some parts of the Peruvian Sierra. People basically risk their lives taking those buses and accidents are EXTREMELY common. I had a few chances to travel to certain remote parts the sierra in Peru, but after hearing descriptions of those bus trips I didn't want to go anymore  ;D

« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 02:45:27 PM by Gavan »

Offline Elexpatriado

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2014, 08:53:13 AM »
The Manizales to Medellin bus ride isvery laid back until just before La Pintada, the half way point. There are 2 lanse on both sides up to this point. From La Pintada the road is only 1 lane, and very curvy climbing up to the mountain pass. The bus (actually mini van) driver loves to pass on 2 solid lines, there was a lot of traffic going both ways , Mulas (semis). and it was dark bythis time. A couple times he passed on a solid line, along came a big semi on the other side, and the semi had to come to a dead stop to let us pass a tanker truck once and something similar another time. Lucky they werent going too fast on the other side or else... even the Colombians didnt like it and yelled "muy stupido" at the buss driver.

This is a typical ride for me on that route. I have done it many times.Once , at the Medellin terinal the bus/ van  driver closed the sliding door on my head, because he thought everyone had left the bus..
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 08:54:56 AM by Elexpatriado »

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
  • Spouse's Country: The Philippines
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2014, 10:00:53 PM »
[quote author=
This is a typical ride for me on that route. I have done it many times.Once , at the Medellin terinal the bus/ van  driver closed the sliding door on my head, because he thought everyone had left the bus..
[/quote]

My, my, Elex--that explains a LOT--hahaha  ;D
Whether you think you can or think you can't--you're right!

Offline fathertime

• Spouse's Country: Colombia
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2015, 02:13:51 PM »
Thanks for sharing those stories Expat, getting slobbered on and kicked by babies and bumping your head must have been special treats for the gringo traveler! ....the complete helplessness and total reliance on reckless drivers is more than I want to psychologically put myself through, so I would probably take a pass based on what you said..

Fathertime!   
09/08 saw morena goddess on Jamie's website
09/08Began writing/webcamming future wife
10/08Visited BAQ to meet future wife
12/08 Visited a second time and got engaged
01/09 Visa Paperwork done(williamIII)
02/09quickvisit BAQ
08/09Wife arrives
09/09Got married
11/10 son born

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats