It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: "How Modern Liberals Think"  (Read 13218 times)

Offline daytrader

• ** mui feliz **
    • Mechanical Trader
"How Modern Liberals Think"
« on: July 29, 2007, 06:47:57 PM »
I had this bookmarked sometime ago, it is a 45 minute YouTube of Evan Sayet...probably the greatest english speaking philosophical thinker living today  -- compare him to C.S. Lewis, Winston Churchill (great thinker + he could run a government!). 

NOTE: this youtube has gotten 168  diggs as of this moment.  Important brain-food lie ahead amigos. 

No, this is not discussing latin issues, however, if the Other Party wins next year, look for this website, many radio stations, and many other websites likely will be censored by the Other Party sooner or later...

So, to the Forum Gods, I highly recommend keeping this in the main Latin thread for 3 or 4 days, then kicking it over to 'offtopic' if it turns you on.....

"They really do hate America....how can you live in the least bigoted nation in human history... and see racism lurking in every dark shadow"

Here's the link...sit down with your honeybunny and be prepared to listen...and think....that might be a rare moment in our daily routine???

http://littlegreenfootballs.com/weblog/?entry=24942_Evan_Sayet_at_the_Heritage_Foundation&only

DayTrader
« Last Edit: July 29, 2007, 06:51:23 PM by daytrader »
Jessep: You want answers?
Kaffee (Tom Cruise): I think I'm entitled to them.
Kaffee: I want the truth!
Jessep: You can't handle the truth!

Offline michaelb

• Spouse's Country: Colombia
  • Trips: 1 - 3
Re: "How Modern Liberals Think"
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2007, 08:22:22 PM »
Don't need to watch it. The truth is this:

If you are 18 and you aren't liberal, you haven't a heart.

If you are 38 and you are STILL liberal, you haven't a brain.

Offline RJS

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2007, 08:27:19 PM »
Don't need to watch it. The truth is this:

If you are 18 and you aren't liberal, you haven't a heart.

If you are 38 and you are STILL liberal, you haven't a brain.

I was never liberal. And you've really made a mess of that quote. :P

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2007, 08:27:19 PM »

Offline michaelb

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2007, 08:35:27 PM »
Who was I supposed to be quoting?

Offline doombug

• VAWA certified to be 100% free of wife beating.
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2007, 09:46:10 PM »
Great find, DT.

I discovered a new catch phrase that defines modern Liberalism--the "cult of indiscriminateness"--as well as a few book recommendations to add to the wish list.

"I can get a great look at a t-bone steak by shoving my head up a bull's ass, but I'd rather take the butcher's word for it."--Chris Farley

Offline pan de bono

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2007, 05:40:17 AM »
The American liberal is more dangerous to the USA than Al quida and N.Korea combined. The modern American liberal has more money, more power, media control and people willing to pass laws to quiet the American Conservative.
All the conservative has to present their point of view is talk radio and the libs want to shut that down.
When the libs take power in about 16 months from now you will begin to see some very scarey things start to take place in this country and indeed in the world.
I fear for the United States of America and its citizens.

Offline RJS

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2007, 06:21:26 AM »
Who was I supposed to be quoting?

There's an almost identical quote commonly misattributed to Winston Churchill. "If you're not a liberal when you're 20, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative when you're 40, you have no brain." Of course, Churchill was a conservative from the start, so it's unlikely he would have said anything of the sort. It's all over the place in various forms. It actually came from something a french statesman named Francois Guizot said, "Not to be a republican at 20 is proof of want of heart; to be one at 30 is proof of want of head."  :P

Offline william3rd

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2007, 06:37:50 AM »
INTERESTING-

WHEN the libs take power in 16 months. . . .

How do you suppose that is going to happen?

That requires a majority of like thinkers to vote out those of the opposing view, doesnt it?
Wild Bill Livingston, Esq.

Offline RJS

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2007, 08:49:30 AM »
There's no way the dems are winning the next election. Their choices are Hillary or Obama.... Even a lot of democrats wouldn't vote for hillary. too many people think she'll say anything. I've seen her speak and she comes across as so transparent... Obama is just way too far left for centrists.

Rudy's biggest problem is getting the republican nomination imo. If he gets it, it's game over, I think. He's liberal on some of the key social issues for dems but conservative where it counts. I think he appeals to more voters than any other candidate and that he's different enough from Bush to win.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2007, 08:51:11 AM by RJS »

Offline jm21-2

• Spouse's Country: Taiwan
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2007, 09:45:48 AM »
Ya...the Dem's top candidates do not have much universal appeal. Well, none of the leading candidates from either party really do. I would guess Mitt Romney has the most appeal to dems of any of the rep candidates that have a realistic chance.

Offline william3rd

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2007, 11:27:33 AM »
I cant see any of the clowns on either side having much appeal. However, there is a price to be paid on the last 6 years and the Congress will probably be paying it.

Doesnt matter to me much as I am seeing the next election as being my last one as a voter. After that, I will be much more interested in Thai politics.

It was nice to see that the whole war issue only rated two blurbs on page 19 of the main newspaper.

Offline utopiacowboy

• Trips: > 10
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2007, 06:58:30 PM »
What interests me is how the vast majority of the guys on this board are conservative yet the vast majority of Latinos both here and in Latin America are leftists. All you guys expecting the Republcians to hold onto anything in 2008 are dreaming. Polls show that 45% want Bush impeached and 54% want Cheney impeached - we're talking about impeachment here. Even in Texas Republican  Senator John Cornyn is perceived to be vulnerable. I predict a Democratic landslide in 2008 of historic proportions.

Offline RJS

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2007, 07:22:27 PM »
What interests me is how the vast majority of the guys on this board are conservative yet the vast majority of Latinos both here and in Latin America are leftists. All you guys expecting the Republcians to hold onto anything in 2008 are dreaming. Polls show that 45% want Bush impeached and 54% want Cheney impeached - we're talking about impeachment here. Even in Texas Republican  Senator John Cornyn is perceived to be vulnerable. I predict a Democratic landslide in 2008 of historic proportions.

Wishful thinking. You're missing a key point though: Bush isn't running in 2008. And the democrats ahve had a chance to do something with their majority, but they've accomplished squat. This rubs people the wrong way, especially after all the posturing they did. This is epitomized in hillary, and obama is not electable.

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2007, 07:22:27 PM »

Offline michaelb

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2007, 08:34:29 PM »
There's an almost identical quote commonly misattributed to Winston Churchill. "If you're not a liberal when you're 20, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative when you're 40, you have no brain." Of course, Churchill was a conservative from the start, so it's unlikely he would have said anything of the sort. It's all over the place in various forms. It actually came from something a french statesman named Francois Guizot said, "Not to be a republican at 20 is proof of want of heart; to be one at 30 is proof of want of head."  :P

Never heard that one attributed to Churchill, I figured it out all on my own.

Now, a couple I have heard attributed to him involved Lady Somebodyorother (Lady Astor, I think). Might not have them down word for word, but this gist of them is:

Were I married to you, I would put poison in your coffee.
Madam, were I married to you, I would drink it.

You're ugly.
And you're drunk.
Yes, but tomorrow, I shall be sober.

Change subject, to presidential candidates---I don't see ANY that I like in the current field, no matter if they have R or D behind their name. Maybe after the herd thins out a bit a viable dark horse will emerge.

Offline daytrader

• ** mui feliz **
    • Mechanical Trader
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2007, 05:04:21 AM »
I predict a Democratic landslide in 2008 of historic proportions.

I bet you a 12 pack of Miller Geniune Draft you're wrong... :o  The surge in Iraq is working, by election time Iraq will be a moderate success story and FDT will be trumping Miss HillaryCare/NannyState in the polls -- it will still be a close election, Dems will probably hold the Senate but the House of Reps might be in play if the Anti-Illegal-Immigration GOP'ers take control of the National Republican Party...right now, they don't...but folks in D.C. are starting to get the message...

We will see!  If we get socialized medicine forced on us in the near future, this country is finished; I'll be a citizen of Beliz!

DayTrader

Offline utopiacowboy

« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2007, 06:36:11 AM »
Wishful thinking. You're missing a key point though: Bush isn't running in 2008. And the democrats ahve had a chance to do something with their majority, but they've accomplished squat. This rubs people the wrong way, especially after all the posturing they did. This is epitomized in hillary, and obama is not electable.

It's not wishful thinking at all. Far be it from that, I'm just a realist. I predicted that the Dems would take over the House and Senate in 2006 and it happened. A lot of Republican strategists including Newt Gingrich are predicting disaster in 2008. Hanging your hat on success in Iraq? The Iraqis are a bunch of worthless scum incapable and unwilling to do anything to salvage their own country. I wouldn't count on them to help my election prospects.

Offline sean126

« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2007, 06:38:10 AM »
As far as presidential candidates...I like what Ron Paul has been saying.  I think they all lie...but his sound the best.

I was going to vote for the Dem.'s.....but I don't really like anyone in that party.  I wish Gore would run.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2007, 06:39:42 AM by sean126 »

Offline utopiacowboy

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2007, 06:43:15 AM »
As far as presidential candidates...I like what Ron Paul has been saying.  I think they all lie...but his sound the best.

I was going to vote for the Dem.'s.....but I don't really like anyone in that party.  I wish Gore would run.

Ron Paul! NOW you're talking, baby. He is a candidate that would make our patriot ancestors proud. I had the pleasure of voting for him before when he ran for the Libertarian Party.

Offline sean126

« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2007, 06:56:56 AM »

He is a candidate that would make our patriot ancestors proud.

That's exactly what I thought he came across as....he's seems "no nonsense" and "America first" to me.

Offline william3rd

« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2007, 07:15:05 AM »
Surge working or not- the whole war situation is the epitome of incompetence. How much has that cost us so far? Ol' Stay the Course is an idiot and for that idiocy, the GOP will pay.

We had surges in troop numbers before-is there some reason that this brand new idea (sarcasm dripping) was not done in 2004, 2005 or 2006. The insurgents were there before-they didn't just sprout up like mushrooms.

Offline daytrader

• ** mui feliz **
    • Mechanical Trader
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2007, 07:37:54 AM »
Surge working or not- the whole war situation is the epitome of incompetence. How much has that cost us so far? Ol' Stay the Course is an idiot and for that idiocy, the GOP will pay.

We had surges in troop numbers before-is there some reason that this brand new idea (sarcasm dripping) was not done in 2004, 2005 or 2006. The insurgents were there before-they didn't just sprout up like mushrooms.

-- I'm not here on behalf of the Bush administration; I'm not defending their decision making
-- Even the NY Times, CBS News and ABC News admits the surge is working; all had glowing reports this week
--  Where are the casualty complainers?  Lowest casualties of US Troops in almost a year last month
-- Shocking New York Times Op-ed: Iraq Is ‘A War We Just Might Win’

link below:
http://newsbusters.org/blogs/brent-bozell/2007/07/31/bozell-column-chuck-schumers-media

Have the courage to face the truth, Americans....We are winners when we have good Generals and politicians that back the good Generals. 

Two bit terrorists aren't going to beat us unless we allow them to beat us. 

DayTrader

Offline william3rd

« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2007, 07:52:40 AM »
One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter. But then- our founding fathers would be turning over in their graves. . . .

Offline Jeff S

• Global Moderator
  • Spouse's Country: Japan
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2007, 07:54:24 AM »
Here
s what Patton would have to say about it....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyUX6wV1lBQ

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2007, 07:54:24 AM »

Offline daytrader

• ** mui feliz **
    • Mechanical Trader
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2007, 07:54:46 AM »
so, you are equating purposely killing innocent civilians by the thousand+  per month in Iraq as freedom fighters?  only a lawyer could be so cruel (or a LIberal Democrat) LOL

DayTrader

Offline RJS

« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2007, 08:17:39 AM »

The Surge isn't just an increase in troop numbers. It's a shift in strategy as well. This has been coupled with a realization by Sunnis that they're better off helping the Americans than AQ, who have given them nothing but indiscriminate killings.

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5876
Latest: ponttfsch
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 133130
Total Topics: 7864
Most Online Today: 227