It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: Packing Checklist  (Read 2459 times)

Offline Fosgate5

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: None (yet)
Packing Checklist
« on: February 19, 2017, 11:54:07 AM »
Alright I leave for the PH headed to Coron and Panglao. Going through my baggage checklist:
  • 1 24in Hardside Luggage to avoid "Tanim Bala" (Bullet scam at Manila)
  • GoPro, Tenba 632-451 Tenba 14L backpack with Rain cover and 100oz Hydration, External Harddrive, Portable Charger, Device to transfer video from the SD card to external drive. collapsible pole, Floats, Filters for above and below the water and a pile of batteries and other equip.
  • Collapsible soccer bag to carry misc. when out island hopping etc https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D9MDR5A/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 
  • Luggage Hand Scale
  • Stainless Steel Luggage business card Holders with cable ties
  • Dramamine, Pepto Bismol, Jet Lag Pills, Nyquill Day and Night Flu, Tylenol 500mg Ibuprofin
  • 1 safety razor (plan to wet shave in the shower)
  • Couple bottles of travel size shampoo and bar soap (Kindly donated by Holiday Inn)
  • Travel anti bacterial hand sanitizer on d rings
  • Keen H2 Sandals for hiking
  • Kleenix tissue travel packs
  • Neck wallet, travel pouch with passport holder and RFID blocker while processing airports
  • cheap velcro sealed wallet for pickpocket/mugger bait
  • Tweezers
  • .17 Oz Cologne
  • Clothing: planning on going with 3 pair shorts, 1 pair of khaki lightweight pants on the plane, a few quick dry lightweight t shirts and linen shirts, Underwear (optional-may go commando), 1 pair of hospital socks to wear on the plane to keep the feet warm. 1 ball cap
  • 1 pair ESS Sunglasses (Desert Tan)
Anyone else think of anything?

Offline Ray

• Spouse's Country: The Philippines
  • Trips: > 10
Re: Packing Checklist
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2017, 01:49:46 PM »
Mosquito repellent (with DEET)

A few small hand towels to wipe off the sweat

Swimsuit?

I would bring more t-shirts, especially if you sweat easily in hot tropical weather.

Copies of passport ID page

Pasalubong (small gifts) for family. I think you're allowed 2 quarts of liquor(?). Candy/chocolates.

Cheap flip-flops. You can buy them there if you're under size 12.

Ray
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 01:55:20 PM by Ray »

Offline Fosgate5

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 07:15:53 PM »
Unfortunately I'm 6'6 size 14 shoes. Pretty sure there is nothing on that island that fits me. Mosquito repellant will be difficult as it is a flammable liquid and would be seized immediately. Woman is buying sunscreen there. Probably just have to pick some up once on the island. Kinda wondering how much cash I should have access to.

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 07:15:53 PM »

Offline thekfc

• No man was ever wise by chance. Seneca
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2017, 07:55:35 AM »
Unfortunately I'm 6'6 size 14 shoes. Pretty sure there is nothing on that island that fits me. Mosquito repellant will be difficult as it is a flammable liquid and would be seized immediately. Woman is buying sunscreen there. Probably just have to pick some up once on the island. Kinda wondering how much cash I should have access to.
There are wipes, creams as well as the non-pressurized types (in a plastic bottle), I have taken both in my checked luggage many times.

Not sure how much cash to bring?  Then inform your financial institution of your travel plans so should you need cash then you wouldn't have any issues with withdrawals. Also stay away from outdoor ATMs (the majority only accept local cards) and use the ATMs inside an international bank.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 07:57:32 AM by thekfc »
If we were all forced to wear a warning label, what would yours say?

Offline Ray

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2017, 03:03:32 PM »
Kinda wondering how much cash I should have access to.

As a general rule, I would allow $100/day... if you pay for hotels separately with a credit card.

Bring only crisp new $100 bills. Don't bother with travelers checks because they are a major pain in the ass.

To minimize loss just in case, be sure to clean out your wallet. No sense in bringing a lot of credit cards, social security card, etc... One major credit card, one picture ID, passport.

Ray

Offline Ray

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2017, 03:38:47 PM »
There are wipes, creams as well as the non-pressurized types (in a plastic bottle), I have taken both in my checked luggage many times.

Yes, should be no problem if NOT in pressurized spray can, and packed in checked baggage.

https://www.faa.gov/about/initiatives/hazmat_safety/more_info/?hazmat=46

Ray

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2017, 10:32:30 AM »
Even with the peso to dollar rate probably at a ten year high in favor of the USD,  we've been suggesting a $100 a day for a long time. While if needed you could get by on a lot less than that,  having at least a few hundred extra dollars as 'back up' is a good idea.  The VAT tax (value added tax)  inflation in general and the increase in especially Korean and Japanese visitors with deep pockets,  have all driven up costs. Besides,  you may want to buy her a nice ring,  keepsake,  etc...

I'd advise keeping extra cash,  passport,  other valuables, in a hotel safe. One credit card may not do it,  depending on what and where you're needing such.   Visa,  MC or Amex may be what they, the banks,  ATMs want. Generally though, AMEX isn't that useful there.

When feasible,  have her negotiate rates,  as otherwise you may be asked  to pay the special 'Kano' rate. Have small bills ready for taxi cabs,  other purchases. If all you have are 1000P ($20) notes and the cab fare's 75P, they sometimes will pretend they can't make change for it.  Try to always make sure cabs hit the meter too.
Whether you think you can or think you can't--you're right!

Offline Jhengsman

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2017, 10:30:46 PM »
I thought the Duterte administration was supposed to be all over any Customs agent trying to pull the bullet scam? The risk versus reward ratio has shifted

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2017, 05:30:51 AM »
I thought the Duterte administration was supposed to be all over any Customs agent trying to pull the bullet scam? The risk versus reward ratio has shifted

Yea that's been fixed real well and fast since Duterte took office.  Non issue.Even walking around Manila's a lot safer now. I'd still be careful in the ARRM controlled areas in certain regions though. But that's a relatively small part of the country overall.
Whether you think you can or think you can't--you're right!

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5871
Latest: ponttbryr
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 133128
Total Topics: 7864
Most Online Today: 293