It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: Cebu / Davao May 8th - June 26th  (Read 11812 times)

Offline CyberGlitch

• Spouse's Country: The Philippines
  • Trips: 1 - 3
Cebu / Davao May 8th - June 26th
« on: May 05, 2013, 09:30:17 PM »
Let's move this over here with T minus 30 hours to touch down.

Offline CyberGlitch

Re: Cebu / Davao May 8th - June 26th
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 06:26:31 AM »
and we're off. Sitting in JFK now waiting on connecting flight.

Offline CyberGlitch

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 03:28:55 PM »
Touch down Philippines and a full day 1 finished. We kind of over did it but was worth it.

Day 1
Our plan was for not much for the first day. She doesn't travel around the city a lot so left it up to me. I didn't know what smaller and easier things there was to do. So I said let's just go to Ayala, walk around, get lunch and that would be about it.

Yea, totally didn't happen. We got a metered taxi and headed to the mall. We started talking about what else to do when the driver spoke up. Was going on about how if we wanted he would drive us around to popular spots he knows about and hire him for the day. We talked about where, what places an how much. He was naming off 6-8 places we could hit for the day and at first wasn't so sure. He said 2,800 for the day which I thought was just a little steep and at first said no thanks. As we got out at the mall he gave us his cell and said don't pay him now and to text him if we changed our mind or just wanted a ride back to the hotel and could pay him after that! Was pretty shocked to see a him let us just go like that.

So we walked around the mall and had lunch at TGIF, she's never been and me still wanting to play it safe for the most part. She doesn't finish all hers and packs up a lot of it to bring to siblings. She then mentions she's going to call the taxi to bring us back to hotel but give him some of the left overs as well. He was happy to not only see us again but also the food. As Anne said back to the hotel he lowered his rate to 2,000 for the day since we brought him lunch. For that and I said let's go for it.

We went to Magellan's Cross, Fort San Pedro, Crocolandia and 1 or 2 other places I can't even recall right now. We were also going to walk down Colon and lastly Taoist Temple which I really wanted to see but my back was starting to get sore from all the walking. So we called it a day and had the driver bring us back to hotel early. Man, the moment we get back in the taxi Anne goes to town.. since we aren't going to other places how about 1,500, he says 2,000, she asks 1,800, he shakes his head, then she says 1,800 and 200 tips for 2,000 total and he accepts that. Still didn't think that was too bad.

Thank god I've read these forums backwards and forwards plus also reading culture shock. The driving may be totally crazy but with the amount of traffic after awhile it felt safer then a taxi in NY or other big city. They have the horn song and dance down and seem fairly courteous with others on the road.

Read about it but really didn't think of it happening to me but totally has. I turn around for 5 minutes and all my clothes are folded and put away, even my dirty clothes are folded and in there own pile. Constantly wiping me down with a hanky to keep me dry. Thought I was doing a good job of that myself but apparently not.

Now I need to go get the extended visa, where can I go to get that done? how long and how much is it?

Also haven't found a close by ATM but wasn't looking while at the mall which I'm sure would have 1.

We're really going to try to take it easy the next few days now. Find permanent place for 2 months, check out Kontiki for SCUBA cert next week and invite siblings over to the room for maybe pizza and a movie.

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 03:28:55 PM »

Offline thekfc

• No man was ever wise by chance. Seneca
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 06:39:34 PM »
Enjoying the start of the report.  :)

Take your time and enjoy yourself.

Now I need to go get the extended visa, where can I go to get that done? how long and how much is it?
One of of the Bureau of Immigration offices and the fee is about 3,030 pesos ($74.xx).
http://immigration.gov.ph/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=118&Itemid=43

Also haven't found a close by ATM but wasn't looking while at the mall which I'm sure would have 1.
Don't be surprise if your card do not work at some of the ATMs.
Some of the ATMs are locally owned and will only work for regional cards. If that happen to you try using an ATM inside a bank - not outside the bank but actually inside the bank (some of the ATMs outside the bank are not own/operated by the bank).
If we were all forced to wear a warning label, what would yours say?

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 08:22:04 PM »
Thanks for the trip report so far. My wife's over in the Davao region now and can't believe how much everything has increased in price. At the same time, the wages for those lucky enough to have jobs haven't increased much at all.

That said, 2800 pesos for a day tour of Cebu is pretty dang steep, as those sites aren't all that far apart in distance. Shop aound some and be careful about agreeing to meals included free to the driver--one time we did that and the driver seemed to have a bottomless stomach and ordered expensive items. My wife is lining up an entire Jeepney for 4000 pesos--about $100 USA dollars. If it's meant to seat about 30 I guess, I'm sure that if needed, they'll squeeze 60 family members. We went to the hot springs like that once and I felt like a happy sardine. They're bringing a whole butchered hog, a whole lot of other food and drinks and they'll go to a nice beach around Tagum City (I think it's called Banana Beach---how original) and I forgot to ask if they're all staying over night--I'm cool with that--her parents aren't getting any younger and her siblings work all over the Philippines--really all over the world.

I tell you that if your Filipina wife (or wife to be) has her head screwed on right, a trip home after living in the USA, when she sees how tough so many folks back there have it, can be a real attitude adjustment. She definitely was level headed before she left, but she told me just how much more appreciative she is for all the things we have, and we live a pretty middle class lifestyle. Each time she and I go back there, it's the same way and need it or not, it's a reality check and a 'tune up' of sorts for our marriage, even more so when she goes there w/o me and we're apart.

Cebu City is actually a little smaller than Davao City now, but CC's a bit more expensive, just like the metro Manila Area's typically more expensive than Cebu City. The govt's minimum wage (for those few company's that honor it), is a little bit higher according to the city, but basic every day staples like rice and fish have increased in price terribly. Add in the VAT (value added tax) and it's rough.

It just makes every gesture we make more appreciated. Buying the family a pizza, giving the kids a basketball or volleyball--things like that are priceless.

If I'm not mistaken, I think travel agents at the malls can help facilitate a visa extension--might be worth checking.

Keep us posted and wishing you all the best!
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 08:30:08 PM by robert angel »
Whether you think you can or think you can't--you're right!

Offline CyberGlitch

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2013, 11:15:26 PM »
Visa extended at the main office in Mandaue. That was an experience when we get there and forgetting I didn't have the cash, we both forgot. So we did a nice 3 or 4 block walk up the street to find a ATM. Was very interesting playing real life frogger but have better appreciation for the traffic and stuff here.

Ironic just yesterday was asking her how often people got hit and she was saying not to many. Then now walking down the street she barely gets clipped by a bikes mirror.  ???

Offline CyberGlitch

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2013, 01:24:54 PM »
Ok, the jet lag and hitting Cebu the first day here caught up to me and Thursday night I was out cold from like 6pm to roughly 4am. About fully adjusted to time difference now.

We took it easy Friday and Saturday. Mostly thinking of a few of the little things I needed and then got the last big thing done. We found our town home and start moving into it today. Nice gated village with mostly foreigners renting there I'm told. We went late in the evening to see the place and was nice and quite.

After that we headed back to the hotel I figured we would take a Jeepney and that was fun going back to the hotel in the late evening. Then also when we got back, since was last night here I ordered some pizzas and told Anne she could invite her siblings over. So they came over for pizza and watch a movie that I brought with me.

She's got tomorrow off as well. So that'll be the last free day together and then she's back to work for a little while and I'll be back working some as well. We're going out today to get a globe stick for Internet at the town home and getting packed and moved.

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2013, 03:33:03 PM »
Ok, the jet lag and hitting Cebu the first day here caught up to me and Thursday night I was out cold from like 6pm to roughly 4am. About fully adjusted to time difference now.

We took it easy Friday and Saturday. Mostly thinking of a few of the little things I needed and then got the last big thing done. We found our town home and start moving into it today. Nice gated village with mostly foreigners renting there I'm told. We went late in the evening to see the place and was nice and quite.

After that we headed back to the hotel I figured we would take a Jeepney and that was fun going back to the hotel in the late evening. Then also when we got back, since was last night here I ordered some pizzas and told Anne she could invite her siblings over. So they came over for pizza and watch a movie that I brought with me.

She's got tomorrow off as well. So that'll be the last free day together and then she's back to work for a little while and I'll be back working some as well. We're going out today to get a globe stick for Internet at the town home and getting packed and moved.

Sounds like you're getting your bearings pretty fast in terms of finding what hopefully will be a fairly long range, safe and stable place to stay.  Isn't it great to see just how much spending $10 or $15 bucks for pizza, soda pop and a movie for newly met family and friends over there can mean to them? Even if they can't verbally express it to you, you can just feel their excitement.

So many things we enjoy w/o giving too much thought here in the USA are really big things over there. I remember taking a group of my wife's boarding house mates to Paradise Beach, just outside of metro Davao City, for a whole day trip, paying for several taxi's to get the whole group to the boat landing there.

They didn't sleep a wink the night before in anticipation of the next day--they prepared food and more and took air conditioned taxis (plus a short ferry ride over to Island Garden of Samal's Paradise Beach). It seemed almost like a limo ride and a cruise to them--gals used to working six days a week and/or attending University with little or no savings after paying their living expenses. It was such a wonderful experience and compared to a resort or a theme park in the USA, it cost a mere fraction in comparison.

Acting good natured, even silly at times and laughing along with everyone, 'trying to enjoy and relate to them', makes a huge impression. Somehow, I don't think that'll be hard for you!

I'm sure I'm not alone in feeling your posts are welcome, enjoyable reads and I'm pretty sure they'll help some guy/s finally get up the gumption to 'just do it' and get on the plane!

Cebu C's water's OK and Davao's about the best in the nation over there, but still be careful about water, ice and street food. Nonetheless, always pack a couple immodium if you're out for the day and bring some kleenex for emergency toilet paper 'just in case'.

Offline CyberGlitch

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2013, 04:19:30 PM »
Yea, Anne has said a few times she's been impressed with how warm and welcoming I've been. There were a few sales people in SM I must of sat and chatted with for 20+ minutes. Starts off with asking for what I was looking for and when I finally found a place that had it we just started talking about anything. Most everyone is just so friendly it's hard to not be the same back. If you can just get over the looks of the city everything else is fine.

Yea, I could see how much last night meant to her siblings; even if they didn't speak much at all. I picked on the younger sister once and got a good laugh out of her. She started talking to Anne and I interrupted saying "What, don't want to speak English in front of me?" She just cracked up laughing and got silent again. Will be interesting when we travel from here to Davao together by ferry/bus for an extended period of time.

The owner of the town home was amazing. He was saying we should have come to him sooner because he went out with a small group island hopping most the day yesterday and we could have come. So I think we're going to be just fine there. My biggest worry now is groceries and food! lol Already been to 1 grocery store inside SM and that was.... interesting and different.

Yes, any other person reading and thinking about it. Just do it. I've been thinking about this trip for over 2 years now. My new years resolution or phrase for the year is "don't think, just do". I did that in January with my plane tickets and so glad I did it.

Weirdest thing, I'm on 1 of thousands of tropical islands and haven't even been to the beach or in the water yet but really don't care.

Offline CyberGlitch

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2013, 05:10:45 AM »

Getting scary that I was getting to already know what the total would be from hotel to certain places. We get a taxi to meet the broker for deposit on home. I already knew this would be roughly 160. I also knew we were going to be going back to hotel and then back to the home which was just up the street from broker. So I'm thinking 480 for the entire thing and tell Anne to negotiate with driver. Even 500 if he would do all the trips and wait at each location since we would only be 10-15 minutes.

Totally down with the Jeepney now. Got the routes to/from the town home, where she works and a small mall! I'll take a 9PhP ride any day of the week. Actually had a conversation with Anne and was saying in some ways Jeepney is safer. You could get in a taxi and if you didn't know the route they could take you anywhere they wanted; not so much with Jeepney. Just have to get over all the stares.  ;D 

Thank you S&R, just like CostCo back home. Got a few essentials for the house when I'm not feeling adventurous for local food. Broker for the town home told us about it and then brought us since she had a membership. I tell you, Anne picked out everything perfectly.

With all the voting and her having tomorrow off it's a relax day in the new town home.  8)

Offline thekfc

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2013, 10:08:26 AM »
Yea, I could see how much last night meant to her siblings; even if they didn't speak much at all. I picked on the younger sister once and got a good laugh out of her. She started talking to Anne and I interrupted saying "What, don't want to speak English in front of me?" She just cracked up laughing and got silent again. Will be interesting when we travel from here to Davao together by ferry/bus for an extended period of time.
Nose bleed..ha ha

My biggest worry now is groceries and food! lol Already been to 1 grocery store inside SM and that was.... interesting and different.
You notice about the groceries stores inside the mall - your one stop shopping.
I was surprise at one time to find one of my favorite juice "Florida's Natural Brand" and a few other "lesser known" US items in one of the supermarkets there.  8)

Yes, any other person reading and thinking about it. Just do it. I've been thinking about this trip for over 2 years now. My new years resolution or phrase for the year is "don't think, just do". I did that in January with my plane tickets and so glad I did it.
That is what we have been say to folks - get on the plane!!!!!! ;D

Weirdest thing, I'm on 1 of thousands of tropical islands and haven't even been to the beach or in the water yet but really don't care.
You have only been there a few day give it time.  ;)

Totally down with the Jeepney now. Got the routes to/from the town home, where she works and a small mall! I'll take a 9PhP ride any day of the week. Actually had a conversation with Anne and was saying in some ways Jeepney is safer. You could get in a taxi and if you didn't know the route they could take you anywhere they wanted; not so much with Jeepney. Just have to get over all the stares.  ;D   
I have gotten use to the Jeepneys & have taken them on many occassions.
The tricycle is at the bottom of my list mainly because of the exhust fumes.

We usually took a taxi back when it was later in the day, went shopping, long(er) distance.  Also there were certain areas that we had to take a taxi because tricycles & jeepneys were not allowed there.

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2013, 10:11:28 AM »
For the few extra pesos, always opt for the AIRCON taxi!

Offline thekfc

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2013, 02:13:48 PM »
For the few extra pesos, always opt for the AIRCON taxi!
Don't you want "natural" air instead? It's free.  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2013, 02:13:48 PM »

Offline CyberGlitch

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2013, 03:16:29 PM »
Got to try a tric when we went out to get a few of the big bottles of purified water to cook with. Anne didn't want me using tap to cook with even if we boiled it. Those things are sardine cans, I barely fit in it and I'm only 5'10. LOL

Past day or 2 we've always been taking Jeepney into town. Then depending on where we go or what we did will decide what we take back. Like last night we went to SM to buy more essentials for the house and had a couple large bags, so got taxi. If I'm going to get a taxi it's always aircon and certainly the bus to Oslob when we do that will be aircon.

The Tattoo usb internet stick isn't unlimited data.  :o  Woke up yesterday and was online for a little bit then all of a sudden it stops. Get msg on their software that I've exceeded my 800mb/day and I'm done for the day. Note to self, no downloading movies to watch till I've gotten all my work done for the day.

My body seems to be adjusted, minus the humidity still at times. So in the next few days will be getting some chicken adabo cooked for me. I cooked up some fettuccine alfredo for her last night which she liked.

We said she would still go to work some and then I can get some work done as well, since I can work from anywhere with Internet. Today is her first day back to work and I'll be alone at the house. Our broker has been awesome though and lives up the street. Also did see a few of the foreigners she said lived in this village. Will have to try and catch a drink with them some time. We we're on the tric at the time so couldn't really stop just then. It's also just 1 jeepney to her office and there is also a small mall from there a short walking distance. So 1 day will get up the courage to do the trip alone and bring her lunch or something.

So 3 days of work and a "normal" life. Then Friday we travel to Davao by bus and ferry through CDO.

Offline thekfc

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2013, 05:22:08 PM »
CG, enjoying your trip report.

Me and the wife wanted to go back this spring but appointments and other stuff are making us postpone the trip to later in the year.

Got to try a tric when we went out to get a few of the big bottles of purified water to cook with. Anne didn't want me using tap to cook with even if we boiled it. Those things are sardine cans, I barely fit in it and I'm only 5'10. LOL
How many bumps on the head you already have?  ;D ;D ;D

Past day or 2 we've always been taking Jeepney into town. Then depending on where we go or what we did will decide what we take back. Like last night we went to SM to buy more essentials for the house and had a couple large bags, so got taxi. If I'm going to get a taxi it's always aircon and certainly the bus to Oslob when we do that will be aircon.
Yep, taxi is the way to go when you finish your shopping and are heading back home

The Tattoo usb internet stick isn't unlimited data.  :o  Woke up yesterday and was online for a little bit then all of a sudden it stops. Get msg on their software that I've exceeded my 800mb/day and I'm done for the day. Note to self, no downloading movies to watch till I've gotten all my work done for the day.
My wife said that the Globe prepaid stick she had was unlimited.

One of her nephews have the stick where you pay by the day.

So there are different sticks.

Edit:
One of the niece is online now and I asked her.
She said the 800MB daily limit is for one of the promos with the fair use policy - maybe you have that promo. She say you can get the pay-per-use or the other promos (without the fair use policy & no limit) or  the pay per day.

People always go for the promo because it is the cheapest and use wifi when they are on the go.

She said she and her college mates have one of the plans where 5 of them get connected on the same wifi, they get unlimited browsing, it is postpaid (not prepaid) and they share the monthly bill. They all have internet at home so it is for on the go.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 05:43:27 PM by thekfc »

Offline CyberGlitch

« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2013, 07:22:07 PM »
Only bumped my head twice and quickly learned my lesson. Once in a Jeepney and yes, again on the tric.

Will check out the other promos for the stick I've got. I know it was paid 'by day' and we just got 5 days to start with instead of the full 30 days. So when that's up will see what other promos I can get. What I would have really liked is something i could use an Ethernet port on and could hook up my vonage box! Used that in the hotel. If not, no biggie, just forces me off the laptop a little more. Maybe that'll force me to get up the nerve to start doing a little traveling around alone.  :D

Offline CyberGlitch

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2013, 07:33:28 PM »
Few quick pics I made smaller to be accepted on here.

Had to get a short video of some traffic too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81abcTH0XDs

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2013, 09:01:40 PM »
Nice update, CG--Thanks.

Might be nothing, but then again a lot of Filipinos are lactose intolerant. The cream typically in fettuccine might not even phase her a bit, but I bet even if it gave her tummy a bit of a toss, she'd be hesitant to let off just because she's sweet and sensitive.  One of my sons is lactose intolerant, while the other typically drinks a half gallon of more of milk a day. Just a roll of the genetic dice, I guess.

I bet it would really rock her world if you came by her work place with a bit of chocolate and a little bouquet of flowers.(along with that lunch--pizza maybe?)  I'd venture a guess that the gals (and guys) would be happy too. Maybe when they see that you're as real as can be, they'll cut her some slack, giving her a little more time off! They are really strict that way--my wife had to quit her job with Coca Cola to get weeks off--they know there's always a ton of people ready to take any job.

Anyway, you guys look and sound like a lovely couple. She's also a pretty lady, with a kind look about her.

Enjoy!

Offline CyberGlitch

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2013, 06:39:30 PM »
Not lactose intolerant as far as I know, she drinks milk in the morning at times.  ;D

We're just relaxing right now and both working during the day. We talked last night though that Thursday evening we're going to go to Lantaw around 5pm for dinner and watch the sunset. Will also be my first adventure for local cuisine, told her she can pick what we eat and I'll try anything at least once.

Then Friday evening it's boat and bus to Davao for the weekend!

Offline Ray

• Trips: > 10
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2013, 12:30:54 AM »
Not lactose intolerant as far as I know, she drinks milk in the morning at times.  ;D

We're just relaxing right now and both working during the day. We talked last night though that Thursday evening we're going to go to Lantaw around 5pm for dinner and watch the sunset. Will also be my first adventure for local cuisine, told her she can pick what we eat and I'll try anything at least once.

Then Friday evening it's boat and bus to Davao for the weekend!

Oh Boy! Good luck...

Most Filipino food is tasty but there are a few things that could gag a maggot. This is when that little bottle of Tabasco sauce in your pocket could save your life!

If you like seafood, my favorite place in Cebu is Seafood City Restaurant in Lahug. If it's still there, I recommend it. It's a little pricey, so I wouldn't take a large crowd, but it's perfect for two.

A unique dining experience where these hot chicks (shopping helpers) help you select your meal items in a small grocery-store type setting. Then you bring your little shopping cart to a table in the dining area, where a cook from the kitchen comes to find out how you would like your seafood and other items prepared.

Try it...

Ray

Offline thekfc

« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2013, 06:58:48 AM »
And if you don't have Tabasco sauce (which one of the top choices), get yourself a small bottle of Sriracha sauce. Sriracha sauce is the one with the rooster on the bottle (wonder why they call it rooster sauce  ::) ) and it should be readily available in the Philippines as it originated from Thailand. I would say try every almost everything - there will sure to be a few things that you like as well as dislike (I know I did).  :-X

And if you go for ketchup then there are a few choice to try beside the regular tomato ketchup - banana ketchup, mango ketchup, pineapple ketchup and apple ketchup.  ;)
I did see mushroom ketchup in a store in HK - not sure if it is available in the PI.

There are also plenty of sauces to try - I usually go for the ones mixed with Calamansi.

There are a few things that I did stay away from/didn't try - mainly balut, day old chick and patis as a dipping sauce (though I eat food cook with it - I just cannot use it as a dipping sauce as my wife does).

Enjoy the food and eat, eat, eat. ;D ;D ;D

Offline thekfc

« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2013, 02:57:09 PM »
CG, you are not the only American currently getting a ride on the "local" transportation - not sure if he bump his head.  ;D

Here is Vin Diesel riding the Jeepney yesterday in Taguig City (my wife's hometown). Some of the cast & crew members of "F & F 6" are in Manila for the premier.

Offline CyberGlitch

« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2013, 05:10:18 PM »
Yea, we were watching the news last night and saw Vin Diesel here in the Philippines. I was trying to get a laugh out of the siblings again and was saying. They didn't know but I was secretly here to find a good Jeepney for him to ride and also that I was in their latest movie.  8)

It's different for him though having the entire thing to himself. What fun is that?  ;D

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2013, 05:10:18 PM »

Offline thekfc

« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2013, 06:10:38 PM »
Yea, we were watching the news last night and saw Vin Diesel here in the Philippines. I was trying to get a laugh out of the siblings again and was saying. They didn't know but I was secretly here to find a good Jeepney for him to ride and also that I was in their latest movie.  8)

It's different for him though having the entire thing to himself. What fun is that?  ;D
When I am in the PI, I tell the kids that I am Kobe's shorter brother or Denzel Washington's sexy younger brother.  8)

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2013, 06:17:53 PM »
To give uninitiated viewers a sense of how many things in the Philippines seem to be 'three quarter scale size' compared to things in the USA (like toilets), Vin Diesel is said to be 5'11 tall.  Note how it's impossible for him to sit in a fully, 'normal' upright position in that jeepney.

If anything, hollywood and publicists tend to inflate  how tall an actor really is, so you might imagine how a long ride in a hot, crowded jeepney might be!

And as jeepney's go, that's a pretty cushy one!

Offline CyberGlitch

« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2013, 07:39:38 PM »
To give uninitiated viewers a sense of how many things in the Philippines seem to be 'three quarter scale size' compared to things in the USA (like toilets), Vin Diesel is said to be 5'11 tall.  Note how it's impossible for him to sit in a fully, 'normal' upright position in that jeepney.

If anything, hollywood and publicists tend to inflate  how tall an actor really is, so you might imagine how a long ride in a hot, crowded jeepney might be!

And as jeepney's go, that's a pretty cushy one!

I was thinking the same thing. Padded ceilings and plenty of room down the middle. I want that Jeepney! lol  ;D   

We we're saying the same thing about how tall he is and I'm the same height. You don't notice it when you are doing it yourself, slouching or bending your neck. Seeing those pictures though makes me think how I look.

Oh, also notice the SUV following in the first picture and then either the same or another one to the right on the last picture. So private jeepney and security to follow.  ::)

and I've already been called Tom Cruise a few times when I've got my glasses on.

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2013, 07:54:04 PM »

I was thinking the same thing. Padded ceilings and plenty of room down the middle. I want that Jeepney! lol  ;D   

We we're saying the same thing about how tall he is and I'm the same height. You don't notice it when you are doing it yourself, slouching or bending your neck. Seeing those pictures though makes me think how I look.

Oh, also notice the SUV following in the first picture and then either the same or another one to the right on the last picture. So private jeepney and security to follow.  ::)

and I've already been called Tom Cruise a few times when I've got my glasses on.

With all the pretty girls there in the malls and all about (some say Cebu City has the nation's prettiest women, most agree the Visayas does overall)--you better keep the sunglasses handy!

That's a beautiful lady you're with and you don't want to have to deal with a case of 'tampo', where she's upset, silent and you've got to figure out why! ;) 8)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tampo

Tampo, in Philippine culture, refers to a range of behavior in which a person withdraws his or her affection or cheerfulness from a person who has hurt his or her feelings.[1]
The term has no precise equivalent in English, though "sulking" or "to sulk" is often considered the closest translation

« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 07:57:11 PM by robert angel »

Offline CyberGlitch

« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2013, 05:00:51 AM »
Already been through 1 of those before even coming down here. She was a little shocked when later when I even brought it up and mentioned it. She doesn't mind if I look, long as she's still on my arm and going home with her.  ;D   I'm generally not 1 to let my eyes wonder anyways. Paying to much attention to everything else.

Lantaw for dinner and watching the sunset was awesome. Anne took it easy on me and ordered up some Lenchon Manok and Calamari.... omg that was delicious! Being Thursday as well not very crowded at all. When we first got there around 4:30 we had the whole section to ourselves. Then come 5:30 is when more started to come but still not many people at all.

Now the fun really begins with 5 or 6 of her friends coming over tonight. We'll be finishing the bottle of moonshine and vodka I have I'm sure! Thinking of going to Mountain View Park with them tomorrow morning since it's hard to get a ride back into town from there and between the friends have enough motorcycles to bring us both up there. That'll be interesting!

Offline CyberGlitch

« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2013, 10:23:38 PM »
Trip to Davao was interesting and looong. We hopped on the boat to CDO at 8pm and I was still exhausted from the night before when her friends came over. The 5-6 friends she originally said would come over quickly turned to 10-12. We went through 3 bottles of liquor and had a fun night though talking about most anything. Most came over again Wednesday night for Anne’s birthday.

I just slept the entire time on the boat and woke up around 4am with the boat docking at 5am. Since we got tickets at last minute all they had were presidential suites left. It was only 800 more than the cabin we were going to get so wasn’t a big issue for me. The thought did cross my mind about us leaving the ticket place and me sending her back alone later to see if she got the same story without me there and no cabins left. The private suite facing the front of the boat with windows and all was nice though.

We touch down in CDO and she’s really concerned about my safety there and is trying to rush to get off the boat, to bus terminal and onto the bus. No messing around here. We get a little lucky and 1 of the buses was about to leave and had 2 empty seats at the very back of the bus. So we settle in for what turned out to be an 8 hour bus ride! She knows I’ve got some back issues and kept asking to make sure I was ok because of sitting in 1 spot for so long. Honestly, after maybe the first 4-5 hours my back was killing me but the scenery and everything else made it worth it. I’d still do the first trip by bus again though too.

The bus was supposed to only be “4 stops” it ended up more like 10+ with stopping at nearly every bus terminal along the way and also stopping for breakfast, lunch and pit stop. The first stop we didn’t get up or move, she being concerned for my safety with getting off the bus. The next stop that I already knew was coming was for quarantine and everyone had to get off. She about flipped out knowing I had to step off the bus and be “exposed”. Next stop I asked if she would get more water and some snacks to eat along the way. She ended up getting 2 bags of local potato chips, 1 starting with Pi some cheese flavored chips. They are now my new favorite snack while here they were so good. After that I had enough and started standing up during the stops and even told her I had to get off the bus and just stretch a few times. We finally make it to Davao and head to the venue for the reunion.

Her family rented out this entire resort on the beach for the weekend. So we get there and we are both exhausted and want to just take a short nap. An uncle starts to show us to a room we’ll be sharing with a few other family members. She speaks up asking if there is anything else available for just us thinking I would be uncomfortable. They did have 1 room left so we went to that one and crashed. Hour or so later we’re up and start mingling with the family and meeting relatives. Getting a lot of pictures taken with everyone and having a few drinks with some of them as well. There were 2 other foreigner husbands but they weren’t very social at all and just sat way out of the way in order to not have to talk to anyone; not even giving me a nod hello. So I got tons of bonus points for being social and having fun!

We crash back in our room for a bit and then it gets interesting. Few people try to come in the room while we’re in there but we don’t think anything of it. We get up ready for dinner they are serving and as we walk out of the room there are like 10-15 people standing outside the room. Apparently more relatives showed up and didn’t have a room to stay in now. Anne quickly offers to share our room but then is later upset at herself for doing it so quickly without asking me. We sit on the beach and I tell her it’s fine so long as they don’t mind the high aircon and they are relatively quiet when I go to bed. Was it a little awkward at first? Sure. Did it force me to get to know more relatives and them get to know me better. Sure. So in the end it all worked out I think. After everything was done for the night and I got in the bed I slept like a baby anyways.

Next day we head to DECA wake boarding first thing in the morning. We grabbed some Jollibee for breakfast and then taxi to DECA. We got there a little too early but they had wifi and an electrical outlet they let me use. I started talking to Anne and said we’re going to fly back to Cebu instead of bus/boat again, she’s never been on a plane! So I take my time and surf around and find the lowest air fare, get tickets ordered and before I know it they are asking if I’m ready to start. We both sign away our lives with their waiver and do a short orientation. You have to first prove a little skill with kneeboarding and being able to go within some markers they have setup. They said 5 laps like that before wakeboarding. I’m first up for the day and a crowd is starting to form. I get ready and hold on for dear life and I’m jerked off the starting line… woohoo I didn’t wipe out first try! I ended up getting all 5 laps finished in 1 shot with little issue! Mistake #1 Don’t do all laps at once and only do 1 or 2 with short breaks. I did plenty of stretching and all before heading out but my arms were jello. Since I had an all-day pass I took an hour or 2 break and watched some of the others go.  Anne eventually got up the courage to give it a try as well after seeing a few other girls trying and everyone else wiping out but still having fun. So proud of her for getting out there and trying. She did good on the kneeboarding, had a little problem with standing but wouldn’t give up till she did at least 1 lap which she did eventually do!!

Flight back to Cebu was fun. First, it’s nice to be able to easily and quickly go through security and not have to take everything out of my bags, take off my shoes and all that crap! We get to our terminal and sit and chat for a bit. We get on the plane and I’ve never seen her so nervous. I swear I lost all circulation on my hand for the entire flight she was holding on so hard. We get a smooth take off and get altitude and all is fine, or so I thought for the short 1hr flight. She’s next to the window so I can see out the window as I’m talking to her and 20 mins in I’m seeing lightning. I try to calmly tell her to not freak out and try to relax as there might be some turbulence. Then we enter the storm and the plane gets a little wobbly, she about took my entire arm off holding on so tight. She makes it through though and is amazed our previous 18ish hour journey is done in just over an hour and we’re back home. Moment we get off the plane I’m flagging down and instructing a taxi where to bring us. She was impressed I took charge and knew how to get back home on my own in Visayan. J

We took it easy this week and mostly just rest at home and a little shopping. We took her siblings out to a local beach for a little bit the other day and they enjoyed that. I couldn’t get out in the water as I got some bad sunburn from wakeboarding. So her and I just sat in the shade and enjoyed the view and breeze.

No big plans this weekend either. We might catch a movie at SM and have a rematch of billiards while there as well. Tuesday is crown regency since she has a gift certificate for free rides and other stuff and then we’re thinking Oslob and whale sharks for Thursday to beat the weekend crowd.

Offline CyberGlitch

« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2013, 10:01:03 PM »
I put this together from our trip to Oslob.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6Qop-mEVyM

I don't have an issue with the locals feeding them to bring them to the area. However, they could be a little more cautious with the direction and proximity of where they throw the food. They say to keep 4 meters away and don't touch them. That's hard to do when the feeder boats are throwing the food right in front of you. Only minutes after jumping in I literally had 1 swim right underneath me I was practically sitting on it and hit it's fins.

Offline thekfc

« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2013, 04:29:48 AM »
Swimming with the whale sharks.......Sweet!!!!!!!!

It looks like you are enjoying yourselves.  8)

Offline thekfc

« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2013, 04:38:43 AM »
I was waiting to see a knee boarding jump and then a 360 twisting turn while in the air.  ;D

The floating restaurant looks really empty, the one I took in Bohol when we were on our honeymoon was filled.

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2013, 06:27:09 AM »
Wow, that video was a real treat--what an experience, I bet. Really good perspectives on your writeups--I can almost smell the deisel fumes of the bus terminals, the heat and dust. Kudos on picking up on the language--I am sure, most certainly in social circles, they are impressed with your effort there. Went out last night to a Filipino B Day party and as typical, they were impressed that I knew even hello, thank you, you're welcome and good bye.

She sounds like a really nice gal, traditional and taking care of you. Glad she's able to get some time off. Enjoy!
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 08:56:48 AM by robert angel »

Offline CyberGlitch

« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2013, 07:24:35 PM »
I was waiting to see a knee boarding jump and then a 360 twisting turn while in the air.  ;D

The floating restaurant looks really empty, the one I took in Bohol when we were on our honeymoon was filled.

the jumps and tricks was the plan. I've done them before on inlines and bmx so it's not out of my realm. However, my arms were not prepared for how much you have to hold on to the wire system and after awhile just gave out. Was afraid to continue and once I fell or let go not able to swim to the sides.

Just got back from Bohol this weekend and yes, their floating restaurants are packed. Lantaw in Cordova on a weekday, barely anyone there!

Spent Sunday night and Monday in Bohol, Panglao Island actually and stayed in the newer resort; The Bellevue. Started out with the resort shuttle not being there and we couldn't reach them by phone. Anne was trying to find a pay phone or security guard to help call them. I talked to a taxi driver and it's a flat standard rate for the island of 600. I tell Anne forget it and let's go, I'd rather pay the 600 and be there quickly then wait who knows how long till we can call them and they get a shuttle to us. Turned out to be a good thing as we talked to the driver on the way to resort. We saw signs for standard rates for different tours as well. We wanted to do the country side tour and island hoping tours anyways. Said he can do the country site tour and has a friend with boat that could do the island hopping, 2500 for each package. We get his info and said would call him later if interested.

We get to Bellevue and no room available for early check-in, it's like 9:30 am now, and they say we have to wait till after 2pm. We check their info desk for their packages and they offer the same but much much more expensive for same exact thing, 3500 for country side and 8500 for up to 4 island hopping!!  :o

We give our driver a call and go off to chocolate hills, floating restaurant, tarsiers, butterfly sanctuary, largest python... I'm sure I'm forgetting something. I just remember there being 8 items on the list. lol Anne's never been to this area or seen any of these things either so we both had an amazing time for the day. I loooved the restaurant and almost ruined it for myself. The buffet style food was amazing and once I was done eating, the boat still had not departed yet and I was about ready to leave and get on with the tour. I waited for Anne to finish and just before I was about to say let's go they were getting ready to leave. Just the live singing entertainment alone made it worth it, the guy was good too. Glad I didn't miss that now.

Chocolate hills was very interesting. Anne had a hard time with all the steps and I kept picking on her. After about half-way up I said forget this slow walking and just ran up the rest of the stairs. Long stairs don't phase me a bit, use to work on 4th floor of a building and never took their crappy elevators and always ran up/down them, got calves of steel.  ;D  Almost felt like doing it again afterwards starting from the bottom just to see how fast I could do the entire thing. I kind of giggled every time I saw someone having such a hard time, it's only roughly 200 stairs.

Saw plenty of tarsiers. You really don't appreciate how small they are till you see them in person; about the size of a single fist. I got a few souvenirs for my girls and a nice tarsiers/bohol t-shirt for myself.

We get back to the hotel around 5pm and take a short rest in our amazing corner room on the 5th floor with ocean view as requested. We go down to the beach for awhile and wade out in the water. Find a nice area and just sit in the ocean with my arms around here as we watch the sunset, very romantic. Everyone else was in the pool and only maybe another 4 or 5 people in the water on a fairly large beach. We eventually make our way to the pool and then the bar before getting some dinner. I decided since I've done nothing but filipino food 90% of the time to have a nice big bacon cheese burger. It was ok but afterwards wish I went filipino.

Day 2 of bohol and island hopping to come.

Offline thekfc

« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2013, 10:36:55 AM »
Nice report CG.

When we did the Bohol tour back in 2010 we saw or did
1. Butterfly Conservation Center
2. Chocolate Hills.
3.Tarsiers & Wombat
4. Loboc floating restaurant
5. Bacalayan Chruch & Museum
6. Man made forest.
7. Blood Compact shrine/site.
8. Hanging bridge (we didn't go on it).
9. Nipa trees stop (IIR, they use a different name than nipa).
10. Souvenir shopping - no matter where you are in the world, it comes with every tour.  ::)
There were some other stuff we saw but I too don't remember. ;D

We didn't see the pythons.

Yep, the Tarsiers are an amazing animal to see in person.

My wife also didn't like the climb up to see the chocolate hills, it was very hot at the top of the hill - we went there the first week of July.

Yep, the restaurant was great - food and all. Were there kids swimming/diving in the river as the restaurant was going up/down the river?

We booked the tour thru our hotel; there were other guest who were going & we were the last to book from the previous day. The bus did show up on time. :)

Offline CyberGlitch

« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2013, 09:30:51 PM »
No swimming as we were going up/down the river. Just at the stop up river where the tribe is. Man, those boys where climbing the trees a good 20-25' high and jumping in!! Looked like a lot of fun and tempting.

Island hoping was fun and near the end of the day I was laughing. We had a private boat all to ourselves and I was noticing every other boat was full of people 6-8+ depending on the boat size. My guess is they booked it through the hotel and the hotel is cramming as many as they can in the same boat.

I don't recall the name of the first stop but was an awesome little island. We went snorkeling there and saw all kinds of fish and coral. We worked our way out to the cliff and hung out there for a bit and got a quick glimpse of a turtle. Guide asked if we wanted to try and see more turtles, which of course was yes. So we went a short ways away and little further out from the cliff drop. Saw a few bigger fish and then out of the deep blue another turtle. We starting swimming and following it as it was going around. Then to our surprise another turtle showed up with it and shortly after they both dove down deep. By this time the battery in the camera was already dead from pictures and movies... well thought it was a dead battery. We go back in and swim around looking at everything and I dive down to the bottom a couple times. Amazing time. She couldn't get me out of the water until her legs started cramping. So we went back to shore.

She goes to this small shack and asks what they have for food and lunch. Answer was basically whatever we wanted them to cook. So she asked for some fried chicken and lechon kawali. Mmmm Mmmm Mmmm I couldn't get enough of the lechon kawali and that sauce. Wow! I think all together it came to something like 600php. Crazy! We relax for awhile and also dry off a bit.

At this point it's getting a little late for us and the 1 place I wanted to go was Virgin Island so we headed that way. We needed to get back to the port at 5pm for our 6pm departure. We made the absolute most out of the short time we were staying there. 2 days and 1 night, we saw everything we wanted to and ready to go home anyways. lol Virgini Island was amazing but OMG it was so hot there even Anne was complaining. Second we get off the boat we're bombarded with people wanting to sell shells and pearls. They are practically trying to put them in your hands. Was 1 of the first times I've seen Anne get frustrated while continuing to tell everyone no thanks. They won't take no for an answer and you have to just ignore them. We walked around most of the island and remembered since we aren't getting wet we can take pics and video with my cell phone. So thankfully still got some shots.

It's getting to be late in the afternoon so we get back on the boat and head off to Alona beach. We hang out there at 1 of the bars. At this point I noticed another 1 of my mistakes. My arms got burned pretty bad swimming with the whale sharks. So this time wore 1 of my long sleeve sport shirts and it worked great. However, I kind of forgot the back of my legs are fully exposed while snorkeling and just floating in the water. They were deep red like a lobster and I was starting to hurt. Have a few drinks and wait till roughly 4:30 before finding a taxi to bring us back to the pier and head back home to Lapu-Lapu. Moment we get home we are both so tired we just had quick snack, pain meds and lotion on my legs and then to sleep in less than an hour after being home.

Offline CyberGlitch

« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2013, 12:12:37 PM »
Been so busy never did a wrap up of the last few weeks before I returned home.

I rented a pump boat that fit 20 people and we filled it up with a bunch of her friends. We only asked that they bring and cook the food.  ;D  We had a blast island hopping, swimming and snorkeling. I didn't realize till the next day that Anne said that was the first time a lot of her friends have been island hopping and snorkeling!! I was glad to give them all that experience they would never forget with me and Anne.

Over the next week we just had a couple small get togethers at the house like normal and during most week days I would ride a jeepney and meet her at work. We would then grab a taxi and go do something, TOPs, Taoist Temple, walk around colon st, walk around mango st.

Few days before I was set to leave we got another boat just for us and went out to the fish sanctuary for more snorkeling, just the 2 of us. Had a blast there and saw so many fish. Wish my under water camera didn't die weeks before. Afterwards went out to another small mall in the area for dinner and then head home.

Last few days we just hung out at the house watching movies or went to SM to play some pool for a few hours.

Back home now and already missing her like crazy and trying to process everything.

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5871
Latest: ponttbryr
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 133128
Total Topics: 7864
Most Online Today: 333