It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: COVID in Colombia  (Read 1924 times)

Offline Patrick

COVID in Colombia
« on: August 08, 2020, 07:57:55 PM »
We've now lost two members of the family in Colombia and a third caught it.  I expect more to follow.  The damn virus is burning through much of Latin America at the  moment.  The inability to travel for funerals is particularly hard on my wife as she's watched her brother and uncle succumb.  Her niece was also infected, but she's in her twenties and already nearly recovered after a six week battle.  She's returning to work as a doctor treating COVID patients next week.  My brother-in-law was also a doctor treating COVID patients.  He loved his work and paid with his life to help others. 

Many of the doctors in Colombia are working with improvised protective gear right now.   I don't know that I'd be going to work in their position.  I'm amazed and inspired by their compassion and bravery.  Good luck to all with family members down south.

Offline benjio

• Spouse's Country: Brazil
  • Trips: > 10
Re: COVID in Colombia
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2020, 09:51:39 PM »
We've now lost two members of the family in Colombia and a third caught it.  I expect more to follow.  The damn virus is burning through much of Latin America at the  moment.  The inability to travel for funerals is particularly hard on my wife as she's watched her brother and uncle succumb.  Her niece was also infected, but she's in her twenties and already nearly recovered after a six week battle.  She's returning to work as a doctor treating COVID patients next week.  My brother-in-law was also a doctor treating COVID patients.  He loved his work and paid with his life to help others. 

Many of the doctors in Colombia are working with improvised protective gear right now.   I don't know that I'd be going to work in their position.  I'm amazed and inspired by their compassion and bravery.  Good luck to all with family members down south.

The girl I’m dating in Medellin’s father just tested positive a week ago. He trivialized his early symptoms but not he’s not doing very well on his third day in the hospital. Very sad.

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
  • Spouse's Country: The Philippines
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2020, 07:54:59 PM »

It's hard enough when those near to you are dead or sick and dying. When you have a wife with family from a distant and different place who are in that way, that's even harder. Add in the life and death covid-19 complications and it's yet worse and uncharted territory, especially until enough people have an effective vaccine.

Some literally gave all. Namely Health Care workers-- fighting weariness and death, they have nobly worked for the benefit of others at tremendous risk to self.

Some might say that life in a '1st world' nation affords more certainty of health. But for the 1st time that I know of, we have a virus--a terrible killer that doesn't care where you are, whether you're rich or poor, black or white, gay or straight.

It's effecting life everywhere for everyone. For once, we have the opportunity as one people--globally, to work in unison to defeat this scourge. Common ground all around.

If only it was that easy...
Whether you think you can or think you can't--you're right!

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2020, 07:54:59 PM »

Offline Calipro

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2020, 09:25:08 AM »

It's hard enough when those near to you are dead or sick and dying. When you have a wife with family from a distant and different place who are in that way, that's even harder. Add in the life and death covid-19 complications and it's yet worse and uncharted territory, especially until enough people have an effective vaccine.

Some literally gave all. Namely Health Care workers-- fighting weariness and death, they have nobly worked for the benefit of others at tremendous risk to self.

Some might say that life in a '1st world' nation affords more certainty of health. But for the 1st time that I know of, we have a virus--a terrible killer that doesn't care where you are, whether you're rich or poor, black or white, gay or straight.

It's effecting life everywhere for everyone. For once, we have the opportunity as one people--globally, to work in unison to defeat this scourge. Common ground all around.

If only it was that easy...

I think we are looking at another drop in the life expectancy of Americans.....overall we are less healthy on the whole compared to other countries. Covid19 seems like a cruel way to lower the obesity rate in the USA but it seems to be doing a good job of that.

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2020, 01:17:50 PM »
I think we are looking at another drop in the life expectancy of Americans.....overall we are less healthy on the whole compared to other countries. Covid19 seems like a cruel way to lower the obesity rate in the USA but it seems to be doing a good job of that.

We're number one in healthcare spending in the USA, yet we actually have a DECLINING life expectancy in the USA. They did a needle biopsy after a mammogram for my wife. It was fine, (benign) but the cost was $8611--that needle biopsy 'operation' alone was billed to insurance for $6105 total, w/ lab etc.

If she was over age 40, her health insurance would've covered more than our (so far) $3400 out of pocket for that, even though the procedures were 'in network' and physician ordered.

And once she's over age 40, although mammograms are recommended as 'wellness' procedures then, she will forever be labeled as having had a 'preexisting condition' and we will be billed accordingly. Not as a 'wellness' visit.

I go in to see my neurosurgeon tomorrow, MRIs in hand, to see if they're going to operate on disks in my back (again) as well as in my neck. Insurance will probably stall as long as they can, insisting on spinal needle injections (epidurals) and physical therapy first. Guess enough people die before they finally get the operations they need, saving insurance companies big bucks. Stalling, never mind when someone's in pain, is good business.

All that said, I wouldn't want to have back surgery in Colombia or the Philippines--I just have to suck it up and pay.

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2020, 05:00:53 PM »

We're number one in healthcare spending in the USA, yet we actually have a DECLINING life expectancy in the USA. They did a needle biopsy after a mammogram for my wife. It was fine, (benign) but the cost was $8611--that needle biopsy 'operation' alone was billed to insurance for $6105 total, w/ lab etc.

If she was over age 40, her health insurance would've covered more than our (so far) $3400 out of pocket for that, even though the procedures were 'in network' and physician ordered.

And once she's over age 40, although mammograms are recommended as 'wellness' procedures then, she will forever be labeled as having had a 'preexisting condition' and we will be billed accordingly. Not as a 'wellness' visit.

I go in to see my neurosurgeon tomorrow, MRIs in hand, to see if they're going to operate on disks in my back (again) as well as in my neck. Insurance will probably stall as long as they can, insisting on spinal needle injections (epidurals) and physical therapy first. Guess enough people die before they finally get the operations they need, saving insurance companies big bucks. Stalling, never mind when someone's in pain, is good business.

All that said, I wouldn't want to have back surgery in Colombia or the Philippines--I just have to suck it up and pay.

Hell, it indicates online that a whole 'boob job' (augmentation) is about $4000 USD in Colombia!

Not a lot more than the $3400 out of pocket after insurance cost for the mammogram/ultrasound and sticking her boob with a needle the size of a knitting needle and reading the results.

In the Philippines it's said to be $3200 or less for a boob job, but I'm happy with them as they are.

Offline Chris F

• Spouse's Country: Peru
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2020, 09:37:36 PM »

In the Philippines it's said to be $3200 or less for a boob job, but I'm happy with them as they are.

Robert...I am sorry , but you made me a laugh...a thread started about the deadly COVID in Colombia has ended with you telling us you like your wife's breast!!!!

Thanks for sharing!!! ;D

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2020, 09:43:46 AM »

Robert...I am sorry , but you made me a laugh...a thread started about the deadly COVID in Colombia has ended with you telling us you like your wife's breast!!!!

Thanks for sharing!!! ;D

Chris, Thank you. I am an incorrigible rambler and staying on topic--well, I suppose I hardly try. Glad it doesn't annoy you. Those who can roll their eyes and laugh, rather than wince and grit their teeth, probably live longer...

Love that Elvis Costello lyric line:

"I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused"

A quick review of your posts archived here show how in just a few lines,--even in your one liners, you really say things that kinda demonstrate how sometimes "Less IS more"

Keep bringing it back man!

Robert=the boob dude.

Back to our regular program...

Offline Hector_Lavoe

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2020, 10:11:08 PM »

A Colombiana I know in Barranquilla lives with one of her brothers. He is a physical therapist and has been doing his job virtually/online since the pandemic hit.

He was offered a job at much higher pay to go work inside one of the medical facilities dealing with Covid patients. He declined as he didn't want to take the risk and end up a statistic.

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5871
Latest: ponttbryr
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 133128
Total Topics: 7864
Most Online Today: 345