It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: Colombia Cupid my next step and still leaves me wondering how guys feel  (Read 22612 times)

Offline AndyLee

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: Resident
Re: Colombia Cupid my next step and still leaves me wondering how guys feel
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2011, 01:43:49 PM »
I looked at the two profiles you posted and I compliment you on your good taste ;) There is something about Scorpio women that turns me on, too. Just out of curiosity (and not I'm not trying to pick you up) what is your sun sign? Mine is Taurus, 180 degrees opposite Scorpio, which creates a lot of sexual tension.
Just as a quick take on photos, I like your door number 2 a lot better. She seems more natural and unassuming and unpretentious. The photo date is 2006 but as stated before, so what, the camera might not even be set, and besides, at that age group, a few years one way or the other isn't that big of a deal. I like the idea that she hasn't gushed out her email and cell phone during the first email which is very common with many Colombianas.
Seems to me you're doing the right things, meeting some girls on line, learning the ins and outs of dating sites and generally increasing your knowledge each day. That's how we all do it and it's really the only way to success.
BTW, just for my 2 cents, ZON is a good poster but has an offbeat and often out of sync take on a lot of these topics. His input is worth considering but there are a couple others on this thread who I put more faith in.
If you are unhappy change something. Quit your job. Move. Leave your miserable relationship. Stop making excuses. You are in control.

Offline CalifSur

« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2011, 02:51:25 PM »
I looked at the two profiles you posted and I compliment you on your good taste ;) There is something about Scorpio women that turns me on, too. Just out of curiosity (and not I'm not trying to pick you up) what is your sun sign? Mine is Taurus, 180 degrees opposite Scorpio, which creates a lot of sexual tension.
Just as a quick take on photos, I like your door number 2 a lot better. She seems more natural and unassuming and unpretentious. The photo date is 2006 but as stated before, so what, the camera might not even be set, and besides, at that age group, a few years one way or the other isn't that big of a deal. I like the idea that she hasn't gushed out her email and cell phone during the first email which is very common with many Colombianas.
Seems to me you're doing the right things, meeting some girls on line, learning the ins and outs of dating sites and generally increasing your knowledge each day. That's how we all do it and it's really the only way to success.

Thanks for the post Andy. Your on the ground posts from Colombia are very helpful.

I did NOT notice that both those ladies are scorpio.  Yet, both seem so very different.  I am Sagittarius but I honestly don't pay much attention to signs. Don't worry I know you are not trying to make a move on me!  

I agree that Chica #2 appears to be a better long term prospect.  That said, Chica #1 is very sexy.  

Offline AndyLee

« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2011, 03:48:23 PM »
Ah, a Sag male....no wonder! :D The lady in door number one is a fake....she has made up a profile that means nothing to the universe.....my instincts and my intuition are screaming at me...please, for all that is remarkable about humanity, choose door number two! This is a girl who is sincere, homey without being homely, a campesino who is trustworthy, sincere, humble. She REALLY wants to meet the love of her life. You, the Sag, perfect match for her, the Scorp. Do not be dissuaded by false goddess at door number 1, she is not your girl, instead, explore number 2, she has proven her worth, do not be dissuaded by the date on her photo. Instead, ask her about her brothers and sisters, it is a humble story that will melt your heart. She is a bonafide person, she needs you.
If you are unhappy change something. Quit your job. Move. Leave your miserable relationship. Stop making excuses. You are in control.

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2011, 03:48:23 PM »

Offline michaelb

• Spouse's Country: Colombia
  • Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2011, 04:17:41 PM »
Self-employed could be anything from selling accessories or selling in the flea market to cam prostitutes.

Most likely it means unemployed.

Offline william3rd

« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2011, 04:45:08 PM »
kinda like being a free lance. . . .
Wild Bill Livingston, Esq.

Offline CalifSur

« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2011, 05:15:38 PM »
Ah, a Sag male....no wonder! :D The lady in door number one is a fake....she has made up a profile that means nothing to the universe.....my instincts and my intuition are screaming at me...please, for all that is remarkable about humanity, choose door number two! This is a girl who is sincere, homey without being homely, a campesino who is trustworthy, sincere, humble. She REALLY wants to meet the love of her life. You, the Sag, perfect match for her, the Scorp. Do not be dissuaded by false goddess at door number 1, she is not your girl, instead, explore number 2, she has proven her worth, do not be dissuaded by the date on her photo. Instead, ask her about her brothers and sisters, it is a humble story that will melt your heart. She is a bonafide person, she needs you.

You make a convincing case for Girl No. 2.  Not that I needed convincing.  Thanks just the same!

Offline CalifSur

« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2011, 05:31:43 PM »
While I PREFER more than 1 photo....there are some girls that are so striking that I don't think twice about sending them a message.

These two come to mind.....although both have not been active in over a month so perhaps some other lucky S.O.B. has engaged their attention.

http://www.latinamericancupid.com/en/profile/showProfile/ID/840424

http://www.latinamericancupid.com/en/profile/showProfile/ID/575004

Gato4Astrid

« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2011, 05:35:38 PM »
Ah, a Sag male....

For a few second, I thought I read a she-male  lol

Offline CeeTeeEnn

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2011, 05:39:10 PM »
Regrettably, i find myself agreeing with Zon's comments. I tried the online thing with Latinas and didn't get very far. I never used Colombian Cupid but did use several other sites (some of which were Spanish only) and managed to accumulate a few new MSN and FB friends who I must admit i probably wouldn't have bothered swapping phone numbers with had I met in real life. I don't want to rehash the comments already made here about Latinas and their intelligence or education, but the level and quality of writing and communication i experienced from them were sorely lacking, save for perhaps 1-2 exceptions, and that's simply not good enough for me - period.

Of course intelligent, educated and resourceful Latinas do exist, but as of today are not likely to be found en masse on Latin dating sites. This may be due to their relative rarity and a certain sense of "dating site stigma" still present within many Latin societies. But for those Latina fanciers to whom education, career and intellectual development in a woman are must-have qualities for which other qualities offer no substitute, it looks like only two options are feasible. One is to trawl through (literally) thousands of profiles online until a handful of interesting contacts are made which then make a trip south worthwhile. The other is to simply fly out there to a capital or major city and then to network the old fashioned way within the cultural, business and academic circles until interesting contacts start to appear. Both options require time, expense, a knowledge of Spanish or Portuguese and a whole load of donkeywork; neither is for the faint-hearted. My hunch is that the second option would probably yield positive results faster than the former.

And this puts the whole exercise into focus. Is it worth your while suspending your career, life, interests etc. just to meet a woman on your mental level in a part of the world where they are not so easy to find? It's a tough question. For most guys, the answer would likely be no. For me, i have the freedom to travel (or will do at the end of the college year) plus the means to undertake such an exercise, but I'm also exploring other options. As someone who often finds the rumba-loving, playful, carinosa etc. side to Latinas somewhat nauseous, and also someone who likes women to be taller than average, my options in LA are limited. Certainly the women of the FSU possess many of the qualities that most Latinas lack, and although that part of the world is also no easy option for the faint-hearted, at least it's possible to get to know FSU women online in a more constructive manner than is the case with the majority of Latinas. Perhaps for the time-pressed traveller who demands a certain degree of education and culture in a woman, the FSU still presents a better option all-round.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 07:42:52 PM by CeeTeeEnn »

Offline Kiltboy1

• She Loves What's Under The Kilt
  • Spouse's Country: Other Latin America
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2011, 07:17:08 PM »
I met my wife online and was a very good experience and was able to give us the time to know us very well. With the exception of my ex Cali wife(distaster) who I met in an agency, I met all of my girlfriends online and most were very good experiences. I am very selective and picked apart most of them, but never  met a woman online I went to visit that did not turn out to be exactly as advertised, good people and sincere. I just did not meet any that made my heart pound until my wife. Online was a really blessing for me but Spanish was an absolute necessity

KB
She Loves What's Under The Kilt !

Viva Ecuador !

Offline CalifSur

« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2011, 07:29:22 PM »
I met my wife online and was a very good experience and was able to give us the time to know us very well. With the exception of my ex Cali wife(distaster) who I met in an agency, I met all of my girlfriends online and most were very good experiences. I am very selective and picked apart most of them, but never  met a woman online I went to visit that did not turn out to be exactly as advertised, good people and sincere. I just did not meet any that made my heart pound until my wife. Online was a really blessing for me but Spanish was an absolute necessity

KB

KB: Good to hear of your "success" story through online means. 

Question for you about your approach: Did you just focus on ONE girl and interact for weeks/months until your first visit? Or, did you make numberous connections online and then fly down for several "first" dates?

Gato4Astrid

« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2011, 07:52:01 PM »
KB: Good to hear of your "success" story through online means. 

Question for you about your approach: Did you just focus on ONE girl and interact for weeks/months until your first visit? Or, did you make numberous connections online and then fly down for several "first" dates?

I am not KB, but I focused on ONE girl and interacted for months until I meet her in Medellin.  It works for me, but it is risky to do it in case things do not work.  I prefer to get to know someone before meeting.

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
  • Spouse's Country: The Philippines
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2011, 08:42:49 PM »
Until you actually go meet her in person, the experience is all too much like buying a dress suit from an on-line catalog.

Time and familiarity will improve your chances exponentially, but there's no substitute for getting your butt on the plane and going eye ball to eye ball. If all goes well, maybe you'll even get to 'tango' together.

If you're on-line long enough and move to cam, telephone and text, given enough time, your chance of meeting someone and if nothing else, having a great time, is a lot greater. Life's a trip where you don't know exactly what's going to happen, but nothing ventured, nothing gained and if nothing else, look at it as an 'interesting vacation' instead of a wasted journey.
Whether you think you can or think you can't--you're right!

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2011, 08:42:49 PM »

Offline Woody

• Spouse's Country: Other Latin America
« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2011, 10:03:34 PM »
It is worth noting that girl number two has been on CC for YEARS. Look at her profile ID number. I would not be surprised if the mirrored photo has been her picture for the entire time she has been on the site. Come to think of it, it probably isnt. Given her ID, she probably joined in 2004/2005.

Offline Researcher

• The Perfect Match!
« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2011, 10:30:34 PM »

Meeting women online is good,IMHO.It works for some guys and some don't care for it.My wife and I chatted alot online after we met.It is a good way to keep in touch, especially using a webcam.But I would not rely completely on it.Just like Roberto said, nothing beats meeting face to face. When I was looking I used every way there is to meet women but I always intended to meet them in person if things progressed to that point.

Researcher
Every man has his own courage, and is betrayed because he seeks in himself the courage of other persons. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Gato4Astrid

« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2011, 04:47:00 AM »
It is worth noting that girl number two has been on CC for YEARS. Look at her profile ID number. I would not be surprised if the mirrored photo has been her picture for the entire time she has been on the site. Come to think of it, it probably isnt. Given her ID, she probably joined in 2004/2005.

Your right... I have forgotten about ID number.  When I used the CC, I always avoid low ID numbers

Offline william3rd

« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2011, 04:53:03 AM »
I met my wife online and was a very good experience and was able to give us the time to know us very well. . . . but never  met a woman online I went to visit that did not turn out to be exactly as advertised, good people and sincere. I just did not meet any that made my heart pound until my wife. Online was a really blessing for me but Spanish was an absolute necessity
KB

Yep- your experience mirrors my own- except for the continent. Online meeting through a service, going to cams,  and then a face to face. The insincere ones were pretty transparent on the site. I made two exploratory trips meeting two girls in person from the TLL site on the first trip and meeting my wife in person on the second trip.  Taking the relationship to live cam was essential.

Offline william3rd

« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2011, 04:54:46 AM »
Your right... I have forgotten about ID number.  When I used the CC, I always avoid low ID numbers

That is why certain scumbag agencies RECYCLE the numbers. Prevents the girl from aging and inflates their membership numbers

Offline Zon

« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2011, 06:23:32 AM »
I know some guys that met their wives online and they are excellent, and happy, and things could not be better.   I think that is great.  I am just saying it is more rare than less rare.  Plus, it does take a lot of work.  And, every single ingredient that your can control - photo; language; etc - adds to your success.  It is a lottery.

A little comment about "ZON is a good poster but has an offbeat and often out of sync take on a lot of these topics" And the notion of "regrettably, I have to agree with Zon on this point."  (by the way, I TAKE ABSOLUTELY NO OFFENSE)

For what it is worth, I used to have a more sunny disposition.  More romantic and hopeful that I could find my "soul mate" bla bla bla.  When I first was introduced to international dating, I thought I hit the jackpot.  "How could anybody screw this up!"  I thought I was going to be able to find my perfect woman bla bla bla.

Then, I got some real experience.  Then, I got some more.  You know what they say about seeing sausage getting made?  It tends to ruin you appetite.  So, yes, be hopeful and try.  Just take my occasional posts for what they are: counter-markers. 

Here is one from last week:  I was speaking with a 25 year old friend from Cali.  She speaks every language and is attractive - she's great.  She was a translator for many of the agencies for years.  When I told her I put my profile up on Colombian Cupid, she was dead silent.  I said, don't worry, I know what kind of girls are on there.  To which she replied "mentirosas"   And, I asked do you think the men are any better?  To which she replied "locos." (admittedly, she is right in my case:) Even though she is ambitious and needs the money, she says she does not translate for agencies anymore.  She said it bothered her too much.  So, take it for what it's worth - and happy hunting.

BTW - I have no agenda, or ax to grind.  When I read about a guy with stars in his eyes, I relate to him as me 3 years ago.  I try to pop the bubble gently just for reality's sake. 
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 12:26:39 PM by Zon »

Offline CeeTeeEnn

« Reply #44 on: February 14, 2011, 10:45:01 AM »
I certainly didn't mean to cause any offence, Zon. Quite the contrary - I am minded to agree with your findings in regard to meeting Latinas online, though i wish sincerely my own experiences could persuade me to take an opposing view.

I'm not as bright-eyed and positive about Latinas as I was when I started dating them in the early 90s, and if i had know back then what i know now I'd surely be in a different place today (of course that goes for everyone.) And I definitely think this forum needs some more healthy reality checks in order to help the newbies reach more informed decisions as to whether the option of pursuing Latinas and/or Colombianas is the right one for them, or if it's a worthwhile alternative to the other FW options - or for that matter the option of trying harder at home.

Interestingly, i also met a young lady online who worked as a translator for a certain well-known agency in BQ. Her younger sister got lucky though this agency, but she's still searching. She also has a jaded view of us gringos, thanks to the exploits of sex tourists, and also of most agency girls thanks to the depths some of them will plumb in order to make a fast buck out of these tourists. She no longer translates and is concentrating on completing her studies. I regard her as just about the most sincere and eligible Latina I met online out of the 150-odd i wrote to some two years ago.

Offline AndyLee

« Reply #45 on: February 14, 2011, 03:18:19 PM »
There are good points in this thread, both for and against online searching and for and against Latinas. Some things I agree with:
1. Many FSU women generally seem better educated and more intelligent/conversant than many Latinas. I think it has to do with the greater degree of emphasis on education in the FSU where many women have more than one college degree, whereas few Latinas have access to free university educations.
2. It is terribly difficult to build an online conversation with a Latina when she talks in one or two line messages. After the first one or two of these "briefs" I just stop responding to the girl.
3. I find using the advanced search mechanism on Cupid is very effective. It automatically filters the profile information that I want (high school or above, my zodiac choices, pictures, etc.) The advanced search  eliminates about 75% of the field. Then a quick scan of the pictures (and to see if they are obviously dumb, unemployed, self-employed or hairdressers) eliminates another 75%. Out of 1000 girls I could have looked at I might only look at 200 and place an interest on only 50. then on my second go through of the 50 the next day I eliminate another 50% so I'm left with 25 out of a thousand that I contact directly with my stock intro letter. I've not measured it but I'm guessing I get about a 25%-35% response rate that actually turns into letter writing. If the response is just her email address and cell number and "I like your profile" I hit delete. I'm looking for a significant and meaningful conversation from the very first email. If I get three good emails from her then I give her my email address and ask to meet her on gmail cam chat or Skype cam chat.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 03:22:51 PM by AndyLee »

Offline AndyLee

« Reply #46 on: February 14, 2011, 03:26:55 PM »
The reason I don't give out my email address until the 3rd or 4th good letter is because so many of these girls love to send FORWARDED religious tracts that have like a million people in the address line. If I get one of these from a girl I automatically send her email to filter and spam.
another reason is because I don't want my inbox cluttered up with names of girls I don't recognize. On their profile they might say their name is Lorena but their real name is Dafney and their email address is Amparo so it clutters things up if I have to send her an email and ask Who Are You?

Offline fathertime

« Reply #47 on: February 14, 2011, 03:55:26 PM »
3. I find using the advanced search mechanism on Cupid is very effective. It automatically filters the profile information that I want (high school or above, my zodiac choices, pictures, etc.) The advanced search  eliminates about 75% of the field. Then a quick scan of the pictures (and to see if they are obviously dumb, unemployed, self-employed or hairdressers) eliminates another 75%. Out of 1000 girls I could have looked at I might only look at 200 and place an interest on only 50. then on my second go through of the 50 the next day I eliminate another 50% so I'm left with 25 out of a thousand that I contact directly with my stock intro letter. 

Andylee, 

are you kidding us?  You are eliminating ladies based of their 'zodiac' sign and  also are eliminating other ladies that are 'obviously dumb'?   
Being eliminated based on being self-employed or a hairdresser seems rather odd too.  Do you have an evil ex-wife that was an self-employed hairdresser.  I can see you are bald but why so much hate for the hairdressers?
I gotta say, the processes people are using to find a woman are cracking me up.   

Fathertime!
09/08 saw morena goddess on Jamie's website
09/08Began writing/webcamming future wife
10/08Visited BAQ to meet future wife
12/08 Visited a second time and got engaged
01/09 Visa Paperwork done(williamIII)
02/09quickvisit BAQ
08/09Wife arrives
09/09Got married
11/10 son born

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #47 on: February 14, 2011, 03:55:26 PM »

Offline beginthebeguin

• WOVO - is a go
« Reply #48 on: February 14, 2011, 04:56:59 PM »
The 2nd lonliest day of the year must be Valentine's Day. I saw an 12-1 ratio of men to women logged-on at another latin dating site just a few hours ago.  :-\
"Any club that would have me as a member I wouldn't want to join." - G. Marx,  not Karl

"Now children all colombianas you meet on the internet are bad. Muukay". - Mr. Makey

Offline euforia51

« Reply #49 on: February 14, 2011, 05:01:44 PM »
If the response is just her email address and cell number and "I like your profile" I hit delete. I'm looking for a significant and meaningful conversation from the very first email. If I get three good emails from her then I give her my email address and ask to meet her on gmail cam chat or Skype cam chat.
Yeah no kidding, Andy. One would think your qualifications might be searching for a western gringa whom by default might be expected to possess at least 75% of these pre-requisites. And given my short time on this board thus far, I'm beginning to believe you'll be lucky to get a woman with 50% ... and this without her even being astrologically compatible.

I started a thread last night asking what did you give up (if anything) with your Latina. I was hoping the replies would help bring some clarity with helping to form a laundry list to what one could expect when pursuing a Latina vs. a western gringa (for example). Nonetheless, this is your search however, I do wish you luck, and I hope you will post on your findings with it...

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5871
Latest: ponttbryr
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 133128
Total Topics: 7864
Most Online Today: 300