It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: The plan after 50.  (Read 8519 times)

Offline Elexpatriado

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: Resident
Re: The plan after 50.
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2018, 05:27:48 AM »
No, he is not ignorant. But you might want to get up to speed on the good and the bad of Central America.

Costa Rica, Nicaragua and Panama all have lower crime rates than Colombia. If you don't believe me see the link below with homicide rate by country. All three (Costa Rica, Nicaragua and Panama) are also worth a visit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate#By_country

I know some argue Panama is not part of Central America (used to be part of Colombia, etc.) but close enough for me.

Colombias crime rate is boosted by the narco murders.Outside of Bogota , normal people are not targetted if you use your head in your travels you are okay.

I have travelled all over Colombia , every major city, pueblos , remote mountains and foeests since 2004 and have only had one instance where i witnessed violence (from a relatively short distance 8 metres) and it was narco on narco violence.

Offline Elexpatriado

« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2018, 05:29:58 AM »

I think I know what’s going on with you
Too much Colombian TV
https://www.caracoltv.com/programas/series/tuvozestereo

They say the stories are real but all the stories on tu voz estéreo are made up jajaja
Don’t believe any of it

Dont watch tv. Not at all.just what I have seen.

One thing about the younger girls they are a lot easier to read.

Offline Elexpatriado

« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2018, 05:32:25 AM »
Dont watch tv. Not at all.just what I have seen.

One thing about the younger girls they are a lot easier to read.

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2018, 05:32:25 AM »

Offline Hector_Lavoe

• Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2018, 10:44:34 PM »
Colombias crime rate is boosted by the narco murders.Outside of Bogota , normal people are not targetted if you use your head in your travels you are okay.

I have travelled all over Colombia , every major city, pueblos , remote mountains and foeests since 2004 and have only had one instance where i witnessed violence (from a relatively short distance 8 metres) and it was narco on narco violence.

I never said it wasn't safe for the average tourist to visit Colombia. I've been there four times myself (all solo trips). That doesn't negate the fact that the overall crime rate is higher in Colombia than the other three countries I mentioned.

Offline Wildstubby

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2018, 06:48:01 AM »
I think it was on another forum where it was said, "In Colombia, somebody is always watching you!" Like you Hector_Lavoe, I've been to Colombia 6 times and one thing I constantly remind myself and that is wherever I am, keep my head on a swivel, and try not to focus too much on one thing! It's not an 'end all to all' but you can avoid most unwanted confrontations that way.

Offline Elexpatriado

« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2018, 05:08:00 PM »
I think it was on another forum where it was said, "In Colombia, somebody is always watching you!" Like you Hector_Lavoe, I've been to Colombia 6 times and one thing I constantly remind myself and that is wherever I am, keep my head on a swivel, and try not to focus too much on one thing! It's not an 'end all to all' but you can avoid most unwanted confrontations that way.

Jaja..you guys are paranoid....in reality they really dont give a crap about you..other than the gamines in the calle trying to bum a few pesos off of you..

You act nervious and paranoid of course your gonna attract attention

Just be cool calm and collected and use your head

Offline buencamino3

« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2018, 08:52:18 PM »

There are still areas where the ELN are a real danger. If they get a hold of you are in real trouble that you may not get out of alive. I dodged that bullet about a year ago in Naranjal, Valle Del Cauca. Wrote about it here.
Hermosamente feliz

Offline Researcher

• The Perfect Match!
  • Spouse's Country: Colombia
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2018, 09:47:49 PM »
The word from the folks I know is that many poor people from Venezuela are in Colombia now and committing crimes to survive.
Every man has his own courage, and is betrayed because he seeks in himself the courage of other persons. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Wildstubby

« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2018, 03:46:31 AM »
elexpatriado said:
Jaja..you guys are paranoid....in reality they really dont give a crap about you..other than the gamines in the calle trying to bum a few pesos off of you..

You act nervious and paranoid of course your gonna attract attention

Just be cool calm and collected and use your head
There's no paranoia here elex. I just don't like being a victim. I learned years ago when I first started 'traveling', always keep your head on a swivel. As a visitor, you are at a big disadvantage. They, (the perps) know the turf better than you. Luck is the result of taking advantage of an opportunity. I don't believe in making opportunities for perps!

Offline utopiacowboy

« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2018, 07:36:12 AM »
Amidst all the stories of how evil Colombians can be and yes they can be, they are also capable of great kindness.

I might have told this story before but a few years ago when we all went to Colombia, we were on our way to Monteria where my son and two grandchildren were to catch a flight. My wife had put them on a bus from Cartagena that she thought was going to get them there on time but it turned out to be a milk run that made stops everywhere.

It keeps getting later and closer to their flight time and my son is talking to some of the passengers about their predicament. The bus route takes them right past the road to the airport but there is no stop there. My son asks the driver if he can make a stop there but he refuses. When the passengers on the bus hear this they stage a rebellion demanding that the driver stop the bus so the gringos can make their flight. Some of them wanted the driver to detour and take them right to the airport but my son said that wasn't necessary. So the driver drops them off at the airport road and they get a cab from there and make their flight.

I seriously doubt that Americans would have made a similar effort for foreign tourists in the same situation.

Offline Wildstubby

« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2018, 08:41:35 AM »
I think here in the US the driver would have stopped at the airport road at a minimum!

Offline utopiacowboy

« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2018, 04:23:33 PM »
I think here in the US the driver would have stopped at the airport road at a minimum!

You must live in a nicer part of the country. Where do you live? Where we are they won't put themselves out for anything. Customer service sucks!

Offline Elexpatriado

« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2018, 10:53:37 AM »
Amidst all the stories of how evil Colombians can be and yes they can be, they are also capable of great kindness.

I might have told this story before but a few years ago when we all went to Colombia, we were on our way to Monteria where my son and two grandchildren were to catch a flight. My wife had put them on a bus from Cartagena that she thought was going to get them there on time but it turned out to be a milk run that made stops everywhere.

It keeps getting later and closer to their flight time and my son is talking to some of the passengers about their predicament. The bus route takes them right past the road to the airport but there is no stop there. My son asks the driver if he can make a stop there but he refuses. When the passengers on the bus hear this they stage a rebellion demanding that the driver stop the bus so the gringos can make their flight. Some of them wanted the driver to detour and take them right to the airport but my son said that wasn't necessary. So the driver drops them off at the airport road and they get a cab from there and make their flight.

I seriously doubt that Americans would have made a similar effort for foreign tourists in the same situation.

I dont know how many times I have left my cellphone or other article on ataxior internet cafe and it was either returnedor just left there.

The vast majority of people are honest in.my opinon. It is the few who give everyonea bad name

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2018, 10:53:37 AM »

Offline Elexpatriado

« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2018, 10:58:20 AM »
elexpatriado said:There's no paranoia here elex. I just don't like being a victim. I learned years ago when I first started 'traveling', always keep your head on a swivel. As a visitor, you are at a big disadvantage. They, (the perps) know the turf better than you. Luck is the result of taking advantage of an opportunity. I don't believe in making opportunities for perps!

Dont have to have a swivel head..just common sense.

There are areas and times you walk fast with purpose..or just dont go

I have lived in 8 different countries and travelled to over 50

Offline Elexpatriado

« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2018, 11:03:21 AM »

You must live in a nicer part of the country. Where do you live? Where we are they won't put themselves out for anything. Customer service sucks!
I have very seldome been ripped off by a taxista in Manizales.

In Calgary Canada the Indian tax drivers always try to rip me off.

Thats a generalization too ss I have dealt with a fewwho are very kind and polite.

Offline buencamino3

« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2018, 06:58:10 PM »
I dont know how many times I have left my cellphone or other article on ataxior internet cafe and it was either returnedor just left there.

Sounds like you're pretty absent minded. At your age could be a sign of trouble. Better get it checked out.
Hermosamente feliz

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
  • Spouse's Country: The Philippines
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2018, 07:29:39 PM »
Had a hack (taxi driver) in Manila let me know I'd left my wallet in the back seat, but I think overall world wide, taxi drivers have a bad reputation. That said, there are excetptions to everything.
Whether you think you can or think you can't--you're right!

Offline Elexpatriado

« Reply #42 on: March 28, 2018, 09:48:02 PM »

Sounds like you're pretty absent minded. At your age could be a sign of trouble. Better get it checked out.

Ha ha
Ok 2 or 3 times

Actually qute a lot worse when I was 18

I am pretty sucsessful for someone so "absent minded"

You can schedule your own medical apointments..I can take care of my own thanks

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5875
Latest: ponttfsch
New This Month: 4
New This Week: 3