It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: two foreigners kidnapped in colombia  (Read 1844 times)

Offline mudd

• Commercial Member
  • Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: > 10

Offline Calipro

• Trips: None (yet)
Re: two foreigners kidnapped in colombia
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2021, 10:47:43 AM »
https://colombiareports.com/foreigners-kidnapped-held-hostage-in-southwest-colombia/?fbclid=IwAR0L9VCweeIWz_Eg5vc398y4UOkkVeg6BwpjCR3q_Ti-rkaL2tSJJ4a30gU

Talk about click bait. They were both Colombian nationals.

The kidnapped are two indigenous people, one of Colombian-Italian nationality and the other of Colombian-Canadian nationality, who were apparently on a visit to trade fruit from this territory.[/font][/i][/color][/color][/size]
Paez mayor Arbey Velasco

Offline benjio

• Spouse's Country: Brazil
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2021, 12:20:55 PM »

Talk about click bait. They were both Colombian nationals.

The kidnapped are two indigenous people, one of Colombian-Italian nationality and the other of Colombian-Canadian nationality, who were apparently on a visit to trade fruit from this territory.[/font][/i][/color][/color][/size]
Paez mayor Arbey Velasco

Yeah...I’m adventurous but there’s just some places I won’t go...even as a former local.

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2021, 12:20:55 PM »

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
  • Spouse's Country: The Philippines
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2021, 09:08:06 AM »
Yeah...I’m adventurous but there’s just some places I won’t go...even as a former local.

There, here--just about everywhere, there's going to be trouble, be it kidnapping, violence, etc, sooner or later.

It's been a while--the 1980's, but as I recall they tried to kidnapped the son of the guy who created Gulfstream, Allen Paulsen--- A. Paulsen was the premiere maker of personal and corporate jets. And that was a few miles from our house. In a gated community. They asked for his son's car keys, he reached for his double chambered 22 derringer instead, shooting one dead and the other running wounded. Good old Savannah GA style. No 1.2 million ransom as planned.

But sh!t does happen.

Then, there's 'downtown, USA'

""Martin Luther King stood for nonviolence,” says comedian Chris Rock in his live 1996 HBO special Bring the Pain. “Now what’s Martin Luther King? A street. And I don’t give a [snip] where you are in America, if you on Martin Luther King Boulevard, there’s some violence going down.”
Later, Rock gives advice to anyone who finds themselves lost on an MLK-named street: “Run! Run! Run!”
Search any sizable town and there’s a good chance there’s a street named after King. Not all are awful, of course, but Rock’s generalization struck a national chord and made the street an emblem of everything gone wrong in America since the aspirational heights of the civil-rights era.""

I think in most places around the world, rural and metro, there are parts best left unvisited. In my wife's country, you know better than to go into autonomous Muslim governed areas.

We got lost on foot in Nice, France--the 'French Riviera' for crying out loud, and saw skeletal junkies, sleeping in the gutter.

In Geneva, Switzerland, we watched soccer 'hooligans' Street fighting and shooting off fireworks, red flares, billowing smoke, as over a dozen officers in full riot gear went in like SSwiss lightning on motorcycles, dismounting with truncheons and sidearms efficiently breaking up the mob, as other officers stood by with automatic assault rifles. It wasn't even reported in the news. Not online, not on TV.

Sounds a little more well planned and executed than Washington DC, last Jan. 6th. While the mob was a lot smaller than the one that descended upon our Capitol that day, at least not a single shot was fired that night in Geneva.

I asked one Swiss police officer: "What's going on"? as the melee was occurring. He calmly replied: "They're having an exhibition"--LOL.

In our USA city, there are areas downtown where you have multi million dollar townhouses a block away from areas where shootings are common place, including MLK Blvd, which on its other side, is bordered by public housing. When a drive by shooting occurs in the historic district, or when a white debutante is shot, THEN it becomes front page news.

I guess there's always a "wrong side of the tracks" somewhere...
« Last Edit: February 13, 2021, 04:47:34 PM by robert angel »
Whether you think you can or think you can't--you're right!

Offline Elexpatriado

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2021, 04:38:33 PM »

I was about 30 Km from there last December climbing Nevada de Huila

The Guerrillas shook the guides down for some "Vacuna" when we hit the last village of Tacueyo coming out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x21Y78v8E1c&ab_channel=AndresNavas%26BurroChiquito

Offline benjio

• Spouse's Country: Brazil
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2021, 06:54:57 PM »

I was about 30 Km from there last December climbing Nevada de Huila

The Guerrillas shook the guides down for some "Vacuna" when we hit the last village of Tacueyo coming out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x21Y78v8E1c&ab_channel=AndresNavas%26BurroChiquito

Lot safer places to hike...and I’ve heard more than one story like yours that didn’t end well. The borderline between some people’s bravery/indifference in the face of a completely avoidable risks blows my mind. Especially as an obviously white foreigner outside a major city in Latin America.

Offline Elexpatriado

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2021, 08:53:17 PM »
Lot safer places to hike...and I’ve heard more than one story like yours that didn’t end well. The borderline between some people’s bravery/indifference in the face of a completely avoidable risks blows my mind. Especially as an obviously white foreigner outside a major city in Latin America.

I was under protection. Like all the other mostly white Colombians  and the red headed gringo

You dont go there unless you are an invited guest by insiders

For an Alpinista Nevada Huilla is a spectacular objective. There is no other mountain like it in Colombia, for that matter, in South America North of Peru,

I want  go back some day and climb some of the other 3 peaks But not all at once like these guys did

https://www.elespectador.com/noticias/medio-ambiente/exploradores-ascienden-por-primera-vez-a-los-cuatro-picos-del-nevado-del-huila/

« Last Edit: April 07, 2021, 09:26:44 PM by Elexpatriado »

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5871
Latest: ponttbryr
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 133128
Total Topics: 7864