It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: colombias november 21 protest to be violent?  (Read 25879 times)

Offline mudd

• Commercial Member
  • Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: > 10
colombias november 21 protest to be violent?
« on: November 15, 2019, 05:58:57 AM »
few business owners i know were talking about it. they have no problem if clueless students want to protest, but when they threaten to damage property, the owners will take measures to make sure, whoever is doing the damage, will pay a price for it. will be interesting to see what happens.......

Colombia’s November 21 strike likely to cause air travel chaos Flights to and from Colombia could be disrupted on November 21 after the union of air traffic controllers said they are joining a national strike.

The Civil Aviation Workers Union is the latest to join the strike that began as a labor union protest against pension reform plans, but has morphed into a general protest against the government of President Ivan Duque.“We will join in rejection of the massacres of social leaders, as well as the dismal policies of this government,” union leader Martin Peñalosa was quoted as saying by La FM.

According to Peñalosa, at least half of its 3,000 members are expected to take part in an assembly scheduled between 6AM and 10AM in the morning.Apart from rejecting the mas killing of human rights defenders and community leaders, the union leader said that the air traffic controllers demand an increase in civil aviation personnel, claiming that air traffic is already chaotic due to a personnel shortage.While air traffic will be affected that day, the measures that have been taking by Aerocivil due to the lack of personnel are already affecting operations.

For this reason, the call to workers is meant to no longer allow work overload so that we can work in shifts as established by law.Union leader Martin PeñalosaThe announced participation of the air traffic controllers in the strike increase government concerns that the national strike could lead to unrest as seen in Bolivia, Chile and Ecuador.The accumulation of students demanding an end to corruption, indigenous groups demanding an end to the killing of their leaders and others demanding Duque’s resignation are likely to form the biggest anti-government protests in years.

Duque’s whose far-right party received a beating in local elections last month, has refused to attend the concerns of any of the groups who have now teamed up.Support for the president sank to 26% last week, according to Gallup.

colombiareports.com/colombias-november-21-strike-likely-to-cause-air-travel-chaos/
« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 12:33:54 PM by mudd »

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
  • Spouse's Country: The Philippines
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Re: colombias november 21 protest to be violent?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2019, 06:43:31 AM »
few business owners i know were talking about it. they have no problem if clueless students want to protest, but when they threaten to damage property, the owners will take measures to make sure, whoever is doing the damage, will pay a price for it. will be interesting to see what happens.......

Colombia’s November 21 strike likely to cause air travel chaos
Flights to and from Colombia could be disrupted on November 21 after the union of air traffic controllers said they are joining a national strike.

The Civil Aviation Workers Union is the latest to join the strike that began as a labor union protest against pension reform plans, but has morphed into a general protest against the government of President Ivan Duque.“We will join in rejection of the massacres of social leaders, as well as the dismal policies of this government,” union leader Martin Peñalosa was quoted as saying by La FM.

According to Peñalosa, at least half of its 3,000 members are expected to take part in an assembly scheduled between 6AM and 10AM in the morning.Apart from rejecting the mas killing of human rights defenders and community leaders, the union leader said that the air traffic controllers demand an increase in civil aviation personnel, claiming that air traffic is already chaotic due to a personnel shortage.While air traffic will be affected that day, the measures that have been taking by Aerocivil due to the lack of personnel are already affecting operations.

For this reason, the call to workers is meant to no longer allow work overload so that we can work in shifts as established by law.Union leader Martin PeñalosaThe announced participation of the air traffic controllers in the strike increase government concerns that the national strike could lead to unrest as seen in Bolivia, Chile and Ecuador.The accumulation of students demanding an end to corruption, indigenous groups demanding an end to the killing of their leaders and others demanding Duque’s resignation are likely to form the biggest anti-government protests in years.

Duque’s whose far-right party received a beating in local elections last month, has refused to attend the concerns of any of the groups who have now teamed up.Support for the president sank to 26% last week, according to Gallup.

colombiareports.com/colombias-november-21-strike-likely-to-cause-air-travel-chaos/

Sounds like Hong Kong about now, Latin America style.
Whether you think you can or think you can't--you're right!

Offline Elexpatriado

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2019, 10:05:34 AM »
This is gonna be a big thing..

Glad i wasnt dumb enough to buy property or businesses in Colombia.. ;D :D

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2019, 10:05:34 AM »

Offline Elexpatriado

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2019, 10:08:39 AM »
Of course you have to take an Alt.-Left rag like CR with a grain of salt..

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2019, 12:16:14 PM »
Upon a cursory 2nd glance, it looks like aside from the transportation issue, which will dissipate, the students have been protesting/rioting for about 15 months. Not a critical civil issue-- far from the masses storming the streets, looking for blood.

Disenfranchised poor, indigenous people killed over land rights also don't pose a major threat to the status quo.

In the short term, people may be inconvenienced by transportation issues but other than that it looks more like business as usual.

I remember not so long ago guys being ecstatic about the COPA returning 2000 to one USD, with talk of building houses, lavish parties etc. With it knocking on 3500 to one USD now and inflation having  been reasonable for over a decade now, that glee club's probably still singing.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 12:38:35 PM by robert angel »

Offline Calipro

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2019, 09:42:42 PM »

Cause a big traffic jam....commuters against the protesters....the commuters won at the end of the day. jajaja

But it is scams like this that make me mad about living in Colombia.
https://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=20574825011

Free Amazon shipping to Colombia.....try and find a product that is free to ship here. I found a dozen things I would like to buy and none of them were free.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2019, 09:53:08 PM by Calipro »

Offline mudd

• Commercial Member
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2019, 08:53:18 AM »

yeah keep wasting your money on rent lol. how much have you wasted here?

Offline Calipro

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2019, 11:44:30 AM »

Buying is a good option when you never plan on leaving
I know a Canadian that bought a finca for pennies on the dollar in Venezuela
According to him life is great but he is nowhere near the action in the cities

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2019, 04:27:36 PM »

I underestimated the situation.  Today up top and center front page of the Wall Street Journal,  WITH a 5X7 picture, is the headline:

"In Colombia, Anger at Government Erupts in Protests"

Under the 5X7 picture:

"FULL FORCE: Police and anti governmental demonstrators clashed in Bogata during nationwide marches. Tens of thousands marched through the streets in the capital and other cities to protest government corruption and economic inequity."

Up to this point Duque has a 26% approval rating (Trump's in comparison is at a low 40% today) and to avoid following Chile and Bolivia, he now has 170,000 troops around the nation, mobilizing to contain things.

He might need a parachute....

The Mayor of Cali called in a 7PM curfew to stem looters, violence,  etc.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 04:31:37 PM by robert angel »

Offline Elexpatriado

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2019, 05:39:08 PM »

Doesnt make much sense buying something if I have lived in 5 different cities.

Besides Colombia has the highest purchase to rent rate in the world.Rents are pretty low
Also with DIAN cracking down' there is nothing to expropriate..for alleged tax mis --compliance.which could be a big concern if Petro gets elected next time around

Offline Calipro

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2019, 07:42:49 PM »

Besides Colombia has the highest purchase to rent rate in the world.Rents are pretty low
Also with DIAN cracking down' there is nothing to expropriate..for alleged tax mis --compliance.which could be a big concern if Petro gets elected next time around

I'm trying to find even one expat that says DIAN
Has done anything

Because I know quite a few expats that had to report pension income that would require them to file taxes and none of them has
If DIAN was cracking down
How much easier a target could there be
« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 07:45:51 PM by Calipro »

Offline mudd

• Commercial Member
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2019, 07:36:03 AM »

dont know one foreigner that dian has gone after, except one who the IRS was going after first, he was dong a lot of shady stuff.

as for rents, where i live,rents have  gone up 40% in the last 4 years and selling prices up 30% on average in the last 4 
« Last Edit: November 23, 2019, 07:39:38 AM by mudd »

Offline mudd

• Commercial Member
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2019, 07:37:46 AM »
check out this idiot form bogota, who was damaging property. she has already been arrested. but with the laws here, will be out in 24 hours with a slap on the wrist.

https://www.facebook.com/miguel.araque.5/videos/10157512226865102/

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2019, 07:37:46 AM »

Offline Elexpatriado

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2019, 10:58:14 AM »
I'm trying to find even one expat that says DIAN
Has done anything

Because I know quite a few expats that had to report pension income that would require them to file taxes and none of them has
If DIAN was cracking down
How much easier a target could there be

If Petro gets in power you can  bet that will change..

Offline mudd

• Commercial Member
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2019, 03:04:19 PM »
dont think so, even idiot Petro knows, they depend too much on foreigners for investments and bringing in money to spend.  more than likely will go after the rich colombians who have a lot of land and $$$

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2019, 03:29:23 PM »
You two are on the ground there. Besides your own immediate lives, do you sense social/economic unrest that's close to the boiling point in the general population? Is there a real minimum wage, and is it something like $240USD a month?

Offline Calipro

« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2019, 03:38:08 PM »
dont think so, even idiot Petro knows, they depend too much on foreigners for investments and bringing in money to spend.  more than likely will go after the rich colombians who have a lot of land and $$$

What law says and what nobody talks about is the millions of Colombianos working in the States that are required by law to file and pay taxes to DIAN even if they never set a foot in Colombia all year
I'd venture to guess their isn't a single Colombiano living outside their country sending money to DIAN

Offline Calipro

« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2019, 03:40:37 PM »
You two are on the ground there. Besides your own immediate lives, do you sense social/economic unrest that's close to the boiling point in the general population? Is there a real minimum wage, and is it something like $240USD a month?

Life is good here in Medellin.  I sense more political unrest just watching CNN and FOX covering US politics jajaja

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2019, 04:14:14 PM »
Life is good here in Medellin.  I sense more political unrest just watching CNN and FOX covering US politics jajaja

What's the minimum wage there? Is unemployment high to the point where employers don't even pay that a lot of the time?

My wife and I are numb to the neverending bullsh!t that is the US political--media scene, it's to the point where trying to decide which party is 'worser' is a headache, so we're numb.

Offline Calipro

« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2019, 05:50:13 PM »

What's the minimum wage there? Is unemployment high to the point where employers don't even pay that a lot of the time?

My wife and I are numb to the neverending bullsh!t that is the US political--media scene, it's to the point where trying to decide which party is 'worser' is a headache, so we're numb.

I don't know what the minimum wage is here but it isn't really relavant based on US costs

I hired a maid and with vacation time and other compensation it comes out to 63 mill a day five days a week

I think that might be more than minimum wage but I don't think I know anyone here that makes minimum wage anyway

Offline Elexpatriado

« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2019, 03:48:33 AM »

Including benifits it is about $300 US  a month. But many work " under the.table" and get paid less..although this can be risky for the employer IF they have property which can be "'embargoed". Because labour abuse is one thing they will enforce.

For example as Cali said 50 to 60 mil is the going rate for a 6 hour day for a maid.However I have a Venezuelan amiga who was being abused by the employer and only paid 20 mil for a 6 hour day including cooking. They espescially abuse Venezuelans. And she has her papers and is here legaiiy and is a graduate full nurse.

Unemployment rate is over 10% but like I said  a lot of people work " under the table'
« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 03:54:48 AM by Elexpatriado »

Offline mudd

• Commercial Member
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2019, 04:31:05 PM »
protests. Medellin, nothing happening here.

lot of Venezuelans here working, some with passport and papers, lot with nothing, all working cheaper than the Colombians. in some jobs, drove down the wages.

as for minimum wage, i forgot what it is, it went up this year, somewhere around $ 900.000 cop, plus retirement, vacations and other costs.

and  as for paying somebody cash here for cleaning an apartment/ house. friend did this with a lady for about a year. the lady asked for a 30% increase, after her work got sloppy, so friend let her go. three months later, he was contacted by " oficina de trabajo" and had to pay 6 months salary and year  of vacation time
« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 04:32:56 PM by mudd »

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2019, 06:29:43 PM »
Including benifits it is about $300 US  a month. But many work " under the.table" and get paid less..although this can be risky for the employer IF they have property which can be "'embargoed". Because labour abuse is one thing they will enforce.

For example as Cali said 50 to 60 mil is the going rate for a 6 hour day for a maid.However I have a Venezuelan amiga who was being abused by the employer and only paid 20 mil for a 6 hour day including cooking. They espescially abuse Venezuelans. And she has her papers and is here legaiiy and is a graduate full nurse.

Unemployment rate is over 10% but like I said  a lot of people work " under the table'

In the Philippines the daily minimum wage varies from about $8 to $10 a day.

Unemployment,  and I don't believe govt  unemployment numbers here or there,  is allegedly under 6%.

But they cheat widely, underpaying 'off the books' -- or they'll hire someone as an unpaid or highly underpaid 'apprenticeship.' or 'training period.'

They'll do that, just to let the apprentice/trainee go, hiring another.

I can't believe the figures they give, because over there when a decent job opens, people still line up around the block, day and night.

Meanwhile in the USA, I see able bodied guys in their twenties, begging on the streets, with a beer by their backpacks, some with dogs, smoking marlboros while standing  in front of restaurants and shops with 'help wanted' signs in the window.

Usually they're claiming homelessness and as being military vets ( we have lots of shelters and at least two soup kitchens) and trying to appeal to peoples' religious sensitivities.

It's so bad that when I recently saw an old hag begging, holding a sign saying "help an old hippie get drunk" I gave her a couple bucks, just for her refreshing honesty.

We still help people out, but I prefer we just give them food if anything. Been told by too many people who work with the homeless and mentally ill that 90%+ of these folks begging take the cash for booze, drugs and ciggs.

In Europe, other than gypsies, who've been begging  for 1000s of years, we saw almost non of that.

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2019, 06:29:43 PM »

Offline Elexpatriado

« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2019, 06:33:33 AM »
protests. Medellin, nothing happening here.

lot of Venezuelans here working, some with passport and papers, lot with nothing, all working cheaper than the Colombians. in some jobs, drove down the wages.

as for minimum wage, i forgot what it is, it went up this year, somewhere around $ 900.000 cop, plus retirement, vacations and other costs.

and  as for paying somebody cash here for cleaning an apartment/ house. friend did this with a lady for about a year. the lady asked for a 30% increase, after her work got sloppy, so friend let her go. three months later, he was contacted by " oficina de trabajo" and had to pay 6 months salary and year  of vacation time

They only do that if you own the apartment.

Cant get blood from a stone.

I heard she actually stole stuff from.him.

She looked like a retired prostitute to.me, that one

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2019, 02:07:59 PM »
They only do that if you own the apartment.

Cant get blood from a stone.

I heard she actually stole stuff from.him.

She looked like a retired prostitute to.me, that one

Four million person population in Medillin --are you guys "step brothers" ( see movie) living together? Sounds like your circles overlap quite a bit, LOL.

Watch "Step Brothers (4/8) Movie Clip - Are You Awake? (2008) HD" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/IF-3dxM0df8

« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 08:14:09 PM by robert angel »

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5871
Latest: ponttbryr
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 133128
Total Topics: 7864
Most Online Today: 324