It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: Tribute to Eric - "Windmill Boy"  (Read 17959 times)

Offline Jeff S

• Global Moderator
  • Spouse's Country: Japan
  • Trips: > 10
Tribute to Eric - "Windmill Boy"
« on: August 14, 2007, 10:49:46 AM »
I just received a note from Bob S, passed on from Kathryn, Eric's wife, that he lost his battle with lymphatic cancer. He had been in chemotherapy since March. I'm not sure how old he was but he was quite young, I think in his mid to late 30s.

I met Eric here on PL a number of years back. He was a pastry chef at the Four Seasons resort in Santa Barbara. He came to my home on several occasions, and we got together several times at parties and restuarants. Eric was a big, gentle, soft spoken, "teddy bear" kind of guy who was generous, friendly and a joy to be around. Every time he visited he brought thoughtful gifts and always some home made treats. As you can probably imagine, he was a real pro when it came to desserts.

You can read of Eric's search here in the archives, under the moniker "Windmill Boy" because he used to make enormous confection windmills as centerpieces to the dessert buffet at the Four Seasons. He was of Dutch extraction. My wife and I stopped in for Sunday Brunch there to see his creations a few years back, when we were passing through Santa Barbara, and I can tell you they were amazing.

Eric married a Chinese lady named Kathryn, and moved back to New York to be close to his family and save up for when his bride came. I missed meeting her when she moved to the US from China as she passed through LA, (Eric flew out here to meet her) because it happened to fall during a previously planned vacation.

Deepest condolences to his family and bride. I am saddened to have lost a friend.

- Jeff

Offline tessbrittain

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: None (yet)
Re: Tribute to Eric - "Windmill Boy"
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2007, 11:21:20 AM »
Hi Jeff,

Stephen told me about Eric's passing when I called him at the office this morning...I was shocked!! He was very nice and I love those cookies he gave me...He looked so healthy and all, i just can't believe it....As the saying goes....Life is short, enjoy every minute of it!!!!

I am getting ready to head home to the Philippines in a month...But I hope we can get together before I leave..Just give Stephen a call so we can set a date...give my regards to Mariko..

Tess :(

Offline Jeff S

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2007, 11:52:09 AM »
I'm always up for dimsum Tess. Haven't seen you guys for months. Maybe William 3 will join us this time.

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2007, 11:52:09 AM »

Offline sean126

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2007, 11:59:26 AM »
I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your friend.  My prayers go out to his family and friends.

Offline william3rd

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2007, 01:18:05 PM »
My condolences as to the loss of your compadre.

As for dimsum- get out your calendar. I have been meaning to call you about setting a date for lunch.
Wild Bill Livingston, Esq.

Offline tessbrittain

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2007, 01:30:47 PM »
Hi Jeff..

Yes, it's been a long time since we  went out for lunch...We need to do it soon...It would be nice if William can make it too....Those dimsums are really good...

regards...

Tess

Offline Ray

• Spouse's Country: The Philippines
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2007, 03:24:58 PM »
I was really saddened to read of Eric’s passing.

Eric was a true gentleman with a great sense of humor and I always enjoyed reading his posts. My sincerest condolences and prayers go out to his wife and family.

May you rest in peace Eric. We will miss you buddy!

Ray

Offline Jeff S

• Global Moderator
Eric's picture.
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2007, 07:20:40 PM »
Here's the last time I saw Eric. It was his going away party when he moved from California back to New York. We met at a Japanese restaurant in Gardena (the South Bay part of Los Angeles.) Eric is in the dark blue shirt, second from the left. On either side of him are Bob S and his wife Akiko, regular posters here on PL, and to the right are Stephen and Tess, posters here for many years. My wife and I were also there out of the frame, as was a Japanese friend of Eric's, taking the picture.

- Jeff

Offline Bear

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2007, 09:38:02 PM »
Wow!  I had no idea!  I wondered what happened to him and many of the other alumni.  He'll be missed.

The Bear Family

Offline jm21-2

• Spouse's Country: Taiwan
  • Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2007, 02:29:36 AM »
I really enjoyed reading some of his posts in the archive. It's amazing how people's lives can be cut short like that, and a real shame.

Offline Dave H

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2007, 09:11:57 PM »
Hi All,

It's been a while since I've posted. I hope everyone is doing good!

I just received the sad news of Eric's passing. I was deeply saddened! He was a great guy and I fondly remember his posts and humor. I had always hoped to meet him (and many others from P-L) one day. Our prayers go out to his family and friends.

Dave H.
The developmentally disabled madman!

Offline Jeff S

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2007, 09:53:30 PM »
Good to see you posting Dave. Don't make yourself a stranger here.

Offline joemc58

• Opted-Out
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2007, 05:21:16 PM »
Hey Jeff,"
            Thanks for the information. I am also sadden on the news of Eric's passing.

joemc
« Last Edit: August 25, 2007, 07:31:02 PM by joemc58 »

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2007, 05:21:16 PM »

Offline Bob_S

• Global Moderator
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2007, 11:09:54 PM »
Much was made of his pastry skills.  Here is a sample of his talent. (I hope these upload.)
...a wife should be always a reasonable and agreeable companion, because she cannot always be young.
- "Gulliver's Travels" by Jonathan Swift

Offline Bob_S

• Global Moderator
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2007, 11:17:18 PM »
Pretty good, eh?  He used to have a wide sample of some of his creations on his homepage.

Here we are making mischief in Asakusa (Tokyo) back in 2002.
My Ako-chan was holding the camera.
...a wife should be always a reasonable and agreeable companion, because she cannot always be young.
- "Gulliver's Travels" by Jonathan Swift

Offline Raquelfebtember

• Let us direct our thoughts to what is lasting
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2007, 12:15:28 AM »
I was in total shock when I read Ray post.Condolence to his wife and family.He will be surely missed!Rest in Peace Windmill Boy.
Without God nothing is accomplish

Offline jon

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2008, 10:20:28 AM »
I've been off the board for a long time and this is quite a shock to come back to.  :(

Jonnie
« Last Edit: January 06, 2008, 10:25:48 AM by jon »

Offline Jimbo

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2008, 01:15:27 PM »
God Bless Eric and his family.  His search was a wonderful story. I always had the feeling that he was genuinely a nice person and a man of good character.

Jim

Offline Dave H

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2008, 05:04:59 PM »
Hi Jim,

How are you and Sally doing? You've been MIA so long I thought I thought you were living in a cave with Dwendes.  ;D Looks like you are still cave diving. I had to go to the ENT today...fluid in the inner ear. Looks like I may need to build my own submarine to keep diving.

Dave H.

Offline Don V

• Probie
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2008, 11:34:00 PM »
This is Don V of Don V and Vicky of several years ago (about 6 years). The last we were here Windmill Boy was just back from Japan I believe, looking there for a wife. We are happy that he finally found a bride, albeit from China, and had some happy time together before this tragedy. It is a sad thing that he is gone. Our condolences to his wife and other family.

We decided to check in after getting the email from P-L on an old account we seldom check anymore.

Things are well with us. I survived Iraq and a tour in Afghanistan to boot. I am 55 now and of no further interest to the US military. Vicky and I sold the farm to my former foreman and now live in the Florida panhandle about halfway between Eglin AFB and NAS Pensacola. We live out of an Airstream trailer. That way we can motor to see the kids or out of the way if a hurricane is imminent. Vicky likes the climate down here better, anyhow. We are currently visiting one of the kids and grandchildren up north. Vicky's uncle and mother have both passed on. We last visited the Philippines almost two years ago.

God Bless you all, especially Windmill Boy's widow and family. I doubt we post here anymore. Life is short and we're busy living it together.

-Don & Vicky

Offline Ray

« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2008, 02:06:21 AM »

Hi Don and Vicki,

I’m sorry to hear of your loss Vicky. I’ll be sure to say a prayer for your mom and uncle.

I’ve missed you guys around here, especially Don’s sea stories.

It seems like the last time we heard from you, Don was in Iraq guarding that $600,000,000 of Sadam’s loot that was recovered (or was it $599,000,000)  ;D

I was really looking forward to hearing all of the gory details of Don’s war adventures, like the time he captured Sadam in his spider hole, or the time when he and Calamity Jane had Bin Laden dead in their sights but he couldn’t take the shot because of that small kid sitting on Osama’s shoulders.  :D

Anyway, thanks for the update. Enjoy your retirement and send my best to Jose and Maria (and your favorite bull).

Peace,

Ray

Offline Don V

• Probie
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2008, 12:00:40 AM »
I did have to guard the gold, but was relieved before too long. Apparently they didn't want anyone to be on that duty too long at a time and get ideas. They told us it was half a billion dollar's worth, but who knows how much it really was? I know old Saddam had at least a billion in US $100 bills in one vault, and they found several vaults so how much the old b*st*rd had socked away is anyone's guess.

Well, I did get in some sniper work, but in Iraq I mostly did staff duty (ugh!). When I went to Afghanistan I got in more field work, but shouldn't have. Age and guile do not make up for youthful reflexes, I found out. I went on a patrol with a team and we got cornered by some Taliban hardcores. I got some shrapnel from an RPG (those things are as common over there as dog poop on city streets in the US) and the sergeant had to take over and get us untangled. Fortunately, an A-10 warthog rolled in and kept their heads down while we vamoosed. I recommended the sergeant for a DSC but he got the Silver Star and a Purple Heart instead. I got another Purple Heart and a butt chewing (which I deserved) from the general and was forced to stay out of the way from then on. But that wasn't nearly as bad as what Vicky gave me when I got home for sticking my neck out where it didn't belong. I've had a two-star general dance around me for the better part of an hour, talking bad about my ancestry, morals and mental state and not lift off as much skin as what Vicky gave me when I got home and she was sure I was really okay. I wan an old fool and lucky to have survived my foolishness.

I did get to congratulate the Canadian sniper team which got the longest-range kill on record, though.

Still, I am sorry to hear about Windmill Boy. He seemed like such a nice guy from his posts. And his poor wife, caught betwixt and between. Did anyone hear if she got her citizenship before he passed away? If so, or rather either way, is she staying in the US or going back to China? I feel so badly for her and Vicky can empathize, not merely sympathize. When she got the word I was wounded she went nuts, I guess. Always worse on those we leave behind. They are the real heroes.

But that is all happily in the past for us. Living in the Florida Panhandle suits Vicky down to the bone. With the profits from the sale of the ranch and my pension, we live quite well. Also Vicky had some inheritance when her mom passed on. So we live out of the Airstream and take it to go see the kids whenever we want. Gasoline is pricey but we can (so far) afford it without breaking sweat.

Hasta la vista. Maybe we'll check in again in a year or so, but maybe not. Farewell to all.

-Don V and Vicky

Offline Dave H

« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2008, 10:20:27 AM »
Hi Don and Vicky,

I am happy to hear you are doing great! I miss your posts! The Florida panhandle is a very nice area. We want to move further north in Florida ourselves. I think you have the right idea...enjoy the weather and get out when a hurricane threatens.

My grandmother had a small Airstream trailer many years ago. I saw a TV show a few weeks ago with an airstream club. I saw my grandmothers exact model and it brought back many fond memories of when I was a kid. My brother and I used to spend many a summer night sleeping in it. I sure miss those days! I wish we still had that beautiful Airstream in the family!

Don't be strangers around here!

Dave H.

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2008, 10:20:27 AM »

Offline Ray

« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2008, 08:36:49 PM »

Hey Don,

I’ll bet those RPGs are a bitch! I heard of that Canuck sniper who set the record for the longest kill shot. Something like a mile and a half?

Well, if you do drop in next year, I would love to hear your opinion of our new president, whomever he (or she) may be. I’m rooting for the Navy captain of course.

And I’m interested to find out what happened to Calamity Jane.

Ray

Offline belle

• Probie
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2008, 12:50:30 AM »
Oh my! I remembered him and his posts. He seemed like a nice and funny guy. Condolence to his wife and family!
*used to be NoNamePinay :)

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5871
Latest: ponttbryr
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 133128
Total Topics: 7864