It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: House Rental Feedback  (Read 2550 times)

Offline thekfc

• No man was ever wise by chance. Seneca
  • Spouse's Country: The Philippines
  • Trips: 4 - 10
House Rental Feedback
« on: January 11, 2010, 09:31:32 AM »
Need a little feedback.

My girl found a place for me - very close to where she & her family lives. Two houses down from their place - so I would say that I would have the family protection. The family is known in the area (they run a cafe) & she have 10 nephews & 4 brother-in-laws so I don't think that anyone would try to mess around with me.

Rental price - $300 USD - for 20 days. 

It is in Taguig City - so it is more expensive than areas outside of Metro Manila. I checked all the hotels & the cheapest I found was $680 for the same time period plus I don't think that I would stay in the cheaper hotels.

The house:
2 story - 2 bedrooms
Air Conditioned
Kitchen
Furnished
TV
No extra expenses - electricity, etc are all included.

Her sisters negotiated the price. I think that the landlord may have known that the house it is for an American so she may have "jack" up the price.
If we were all forced to wear a warning label, what would yours say?

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Re: House Rental Feedback
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 10:12:39 AM »
Sounds like a great deal. Electricity included, especially. Electricity is a much bigger bite out of the average family bill there than here. While you can probably expect a lot of her family and friends to want to come by as is sort of the norm there, you'll probably have a degree of privacy even a hotel wouldn't afford when you need that. Sounds like they like to cook, so between that and electricity, you may have found a deal that I would have loved to have versus my usualy spending 2 or 3 times that a day for a hotel then a lot more for meals out. And that's in Davao--which is much, much cheaper than in or near Manila. Way to go! Front page Slick! Haha
Whether you think you can or think you can't--you're right!

Offline Ray

• Trips: > 10
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 02:52:18 PM »

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 02:52:18 PM »

Offline Dave H

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 06:53:54 PM »
Hey theKFC,

Electricity alone could run $100 or more running several aircons for 20 days. Relatives nearby, family runs a cafe and known in the area...sounds good to me! In my wife's barangay, surrounded by relatives and friends, nobody would get out alive if they messed with her family or me! Filipinos are usually very friendly and easy going (unless high on drugs), so I doubt that you will have any problems anyway. The biggest thing is probably pick pockets in the city or someone stealing your slippers (flip flops) off the porch, if left outside at night.

Dave
The developmentally disabled madman!

Offline Heruamen

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2010, 09:53:00 PM »
   I rented a house in a wealthy gated community called Xavier estates in Cagayan De Oro.  I was a two story 3 bedroom deal.  I paid php25000 peso per month (USA $521 dollars)  Usually they ask you to sign a 6 month contract, but I know they are flexible because I asked the landlady could I do 4 months since i would only be there for 3.  I sent one month deposit thu western Union to my girl and she gave it to the landlady.  I gave her the rest for the duration of my stay when I arrived there.
   I dont remember every paying more than  $65USD  a month for electricity.  My first month electricity bill was only about $20usd.   We there were only certain rooms that were airconditioned.  The only aircon we used was the master bedroom.  If we were not using that room we simply kept the aircon off.  The downstair was relatively coo with the windows open.
    This was a gated and secure community with an awesome country club (pool, bowling alley, Gym) and the security was like a military checkpoint so i you didnt live there is was very hard to get in.  Even I had some trouble getting in till all the guards started to remember my face.  I miss that place it has great memories for me.  i cant imagine staying someplace else when i go back.  Mabye i will buy the place.  I already know i eventually want to buy a house there and live there at least part of the year.  Hope is was helpful to you.
  Oh by the way my fiance did all the legwork for me in finding the house.  I would look something up on the internet and she would go there in person and check things out for me.  So mabye you can enlist your girls help.

Offline Dave H

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2010, 01:08:11 AM »

I dont remember every paying more than  $65USD  a month for electricity.  My first month electricity bill was only about $20usd.   We there were only certain rooms that were airconditioned.  The only aircon we used was the master bedroom.  If we were not using that room we simply kept the aircon off.  The downstair was relatively coo with the windows open.

Hey Heruamen,

Same here, around $60 per month using a similar arrangement.

The community that you lived in sounded great!

Dave
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 02:09:35 AM by Dave H »
The developmentally disabled madman!

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5871
Latest: ponttbryr
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats