It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: K Visa Fee Increase  (Read 10840 times)

Offline Capstone

• Spouse's Country: China
  • Trips: > 10
K Visa Fee Increase
« on: May 25, 2010, 07:18:55 AM »
The long anticipated fee increase for all K visas has finally become a reality. Starting June 4th the visa fee will increase from $131 to $350. :(

http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/types/types_1263.html

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
  • Spouse's Country: The Philippines
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Re: K Visa Fee Increase
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 07:34:36 AM »
Hope Piglett and Kfc get in under the wire, It's obscene that in a world where when almost anything goes up, it.s usually somewhere between 1 and 7%, the government almost triples the price on something and gives less than two weeks notice.

Somehow, I don't think that even with the extra money coming in, that they'll assign twice as many people or that processing times will get much faster...
Whether you think you can or think you can't--you're right!

Offline Woody

• Spouse's Country: Other Latin America
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 07:55:00 AM »
Hope Piglett and Kfc get in under the wire, It's obscene that in a world where when almost anything goes up, it.s usually somewhere between 1 and 7%, the government almost triples the price on something and gives less than two weeks notice.

Somehow, I don't think that even with the extra money coming in, that they'll assign twice as many people or that processing times will get much faster...

I think, more than anything, it is just where they see a potential for profit with no real decrease in number of applicants. Most people that it would stop didn't need to be filing in the first place. So, yeah, it sucks. But they have us by the balls on this one.

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 07:55:00 AM »

Offline Capstone

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2010, 07:57:48 AM »
Hope Piglett and Kfc get in under the wire
This change probably won't affect either one of those guys since they are both going the spousal visa route instead of the fiancee visa route and the new NVC policy which took effect on Feb 1 pretty much killed off the K-3 option. Since Feb, the NVC is closing all K-3 I-129F petitions when they also receive a I-130 from USCIS at the same time (which has pretty much always been the case over the past 2 years). So Piglett & KFC will most likely be pursuing the CR-1 visa for which the visa fee has not been increased.

Important Notice: Effective February 1st, 2010, when both the I-129F petition for a nonimmigrant K visa and the I-130 petition for an IR-1 (or CR-1) spouse of a U.S. citizen visa have been approved by USCIS and sent to the National Visa Center (NVC), the availability as well as the need for a nonimmigrant K-3 visa ends. If the NVC receives both petitions:

The nonimmigrant K visa will be administratively closed.
The application process explained below will not be applicable and cannot be used.
The NVC will contact the petitioner and you with instructions for processing your IR-1 (or CR-1) immigrant visa. For more information on the immigrant visa process review the Immigrant Visa for a Spouse webpage.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/types/types_2993.html

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 09:00:52 AM »
Thanks for the clarification, Cap., I didn't want to scare anybody unnecessarily. They probably figured it out, but then again, maybe they might have thought they were increasing other somewhat related process fees as well. I am sure they'll get to the other ones soon enough....

Offline thekfc

• No man was ever wise by chance. Seneca
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2010, 09:10:32 AM »
Wow! that is a huge chunk of $. More revenue for them but will they increase the processing time? I don't think so.
Yep, I will be pursuing the CR-1 visa after my next trip in July.
If we were all forced to wear a warning label, what would yours say?

Offline Ray

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2010, 11:37:52 AM »

Fact Check:

There is no way that someone could "get in under the wire" on this increase if they haven't even filed a petition yet. The fee is assessed at the time the foreign national applies for the visa overseas.

Also, you have to understand that USCIS fees are not tied to normal inflation costs, but dependent on what USCIS spends on operations. By law, intending immigrants are expected to pay for most of the cost of processing their petitions/naturalization fees, etc. If the fees were reduced or eliminated, then all taxpayers would have to make up the difference. Would you rather have the taxpayers take over the burden of paying for processing all of the visa application fees?

If they assigned twice as many people to process petitions as you implied, then you would see even more huge fee increases to cover the added cost of operating the USCIS.

I remember when the filing fee for a fiancée visa petition was $30 and you simply walked into your local INS office with no appointment. They would go over your petition right on the spot and have you make any needed corrections. The total time from walking in the door at INS to visa approval overseas was around 30-45 days. See what all of this reorganization and “streamlining” of the process has brought us? LOL!

Ray

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2010, 03:29:56 PM »
Humbug! I guess I'll just HAVE to stay married now, the way these fees are going up......

Offline evoltnvii

• Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2010, 08:45:48 PM »
Humbug! I guess I'll just HAVE to stay married now, the way these fees are going up......

no new hot little thing for you huh?

Me and my girl totally made it under the wire she just paid for he k-1 on friday and her interview is on june 4th. She did her medical yesterday and is going back for vaccinations today. Things are coming together finally.

Funny thing she met another girl at the hospital that has the same interview date and is flying into chicago also so now she has a new friend lol.
I drank what!!!!!!

Offline utopiacowboy

• Spouse's Country: Colombia
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2010, 09:05:57 PM »
The whole thing pisses me off and I'm already pissed off about Government Sachs. The mystery to me is why an outraged citizenry hasn't already marched on Washington and burned it to the ground. I'd kill every one there except Ron Paul.

Offline Osa

• My Twitter
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2010, 12:35:30 AM »
shhhheeee--it

so how much is the whole Fiancee visa process now?

Offline Capstone

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2010, 07:01:55 AM »
shhhheeee--it

so how much is the whole Fiancee visa process now?

For a K-1 the costs are:

I-129F Petition Filing/Processing Fee: $455
K-1 Visa Fee: $350
Adjustment of Status (AOS): $1010
Total: $1815

Plus the cost of the Medical Exam and Vaccinations which varies depending on location, hospital/clinic used.

Offline Osa

• My Twitter
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2010, 09:12:10 AM »
thanks

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2010, 09:12:10 AM »

Offline jm21-2

• Spouse's Country: Taiwan
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2010, 12:20:22 PM »
I was talking with my GF and apparently to get a family visa processed in a timely way in Australia you need to make a ~$30,000 donation to the government. There's a stinger...

Would be nice to have open borders, but then you'd have to eliminate welfare and protectionism so you wouldn't get any votes on that. Aside from all the "then terrorists would be able to sneak in!' arguments (like they aren't able to now).

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2010, 07:23:09 PM »
Wow--not sure at the moment how much that is in U.S. dollars, but I'm sure it's not cheap. It's terrible that there are all these barriers and even worse that they selectively apply them to people who are law abiding, well educated, self supporting and for our security, essentially low risk individuals.

Offline piglett

• your porkness
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2010, 08:52:30 PM »

Would be nice to have open borders,

my understanding is that we are allowing 1 million people a year into this country.
( not sure if all the people in that figure are all staying for good though)
but lets just say they all stay. if we said ok everyone who can get here can just come on in. how many million do you think we would get in the 1st 12 months?
could we handle 100 million or more EVERY YEAR ??

while we are at it lets allow lawyers for every other county in the world come here & work. many of them have zero debt & they are used to working for much less than you are. so lets say they offer their services for $50 a day. how in the world can you compete against that low of a price? we all know you can't & wouldn't.
none of us would be able to pay our bills. everyone would be homeless & starving in the streets.

now granted what we have now sure as hell is far from perfect.
i think everyone here knows that but it's still better than no system at all

i welcome everyones input on this subject
piglett
PSA 101:7 No one who practices deceit will dwell in my house; no one who
speaks falsely will stand in my presence.

http://s927.photobucket.com/albums/ad117/piglett2195/

Offline Osa

• My Twitter
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2010, 10:17:44 PM »
Agreed.  Despite being a son of immigrants, I have a strong nationalist streak, and I think we should only let as many people into the US as will keep this country strong, competitive, and relevant.

Offline fathertime

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2010, 10:24:41 PM »

Would be nice to have open borders, but then you'd have to eliminate welfare and protectionism so you wouldn't get any votes on that. Aside from all the "then terrorists would be able to sneak in!' arguments (like they aren't able to now).

Well Jm, I don't think it would nice to have an open border.  Many areas of the country are already crowded and I don't see why we would want even more people here then we can naturally produce through births, and through legal immigration.  Resources are finite and we are doing a fine job of depleting them with the people that are already here.

Fathertime!
09/08 saw morena goddess on Jamie's website
09/08Began writing/webcamming future wife
10/08Visited BAQ to meet future wife
12/08 Visited a second time and got engaged
01/09 Visa Paperwork done(williamIII)
02/09quickvisit BAQ
08/09Wife arrives
09/09Got married
11/10 son born

Offline jm21-2

« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2010, 04:43:08 PM »
my understanding is that we are allowing 1 million people a year into this country.
( not sure if all the people in that figure are all staying for good though)
but lets just say they all stay. if we said ok everyone who can get here can just come on in. how many million do you think we would get in the 1st 12 months?
could we handle 100 million or more EVERY YEAR ??

while we are at it lets allow lawyers for every other county in the world come here & work. many of them have zero debt & they are used to working for much less than you are. so lets say they offer their services for $50 a day. how in the world can you compete against that low of a price? we all know you can't & wouldn't.
none of us would be able to pay our bills. everyone would be homeless & starving in the streets.

now granted what we have now sure as hell is far from perfect.
i think everyone here knows that but it's still better than no system at all

i welcome everyones input on this subject
piglett

Yes, I am worried about, say, a Brazilian lawyer coming up here, knowing nothing about American laws (especially considering they have a civil law system instead of a common law system), going to law school, passing the bar, and competing with me. Wait, no I'm not. If they had enough money to do that (without any welfare programs like pell grants, student loans, etc.) then why the heck shouldn't we welcome them with open arms? They're bringing in loads of cash! But I highly suspect someone with that kind of dough is quite content in their home country. And $50/day? That would barely cover the most basic expenses. They'd have to charge at least $35/hour just to be able to live in a very [snip]ty apartment in this area and pay the most basic business expenses. And why would they want to bust their hump and live ina  studio apartment here eating crap food when they would almost certainly have  better standard of living in their home country? If they wanted a similar standard of living here they'd have to charge significantly more. Not to mention they woudl need to be fluent in English, both written and verbal.

Can we support 100 million a year immigrating? Who said anything about supporting them or allowing them to immigrate? If they have the cash to come here, pay for food and lodging while they look for work, and then can do better than an American at a job, why not let them try? Most will probably find they lack the language or technical skills to get a decent job. Or they will have ot go through some aspect of our higher education system. Can they afford to? How many people really can come over here from say the PI and afford to live for a year or two, paying tuition to improve their skills, then look for work competing against locals, keeping in mind they probably have no relevant work history.

As far as crowded areas...we have an incredibly low population density.

We had open borders for a long time and it worked out fine. When our industrial engine was booming a wave of immigrants would come and be cheap labor at our factories, and USCs would take higher paying, usually service-oriented jobs. When the economy started to decline, the USCs would start taking lower and lower paying jobs and the foreigners would eventually throw up their hands at finding jobs here and move back home. When the next economic cycle started and things were booming again they'd come back, and so forth.

Open borders doesn't mean there is no such thing as citizenship.

Offline Ray

« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2010, 06:32:44 PM »

Open borders doesn't mean there is no such thing as citizenship.

But without borders, you have no country.

To allow just anyone to walk in whenever they wish is just plain STUPID, IMHO.

Only a complete leftist whack-job wants open borders. And of course the Mexican Government wants a USA with open borders for their own reasons.

BTW, the Mexicans are hypocrites when it comes to enforcing their own southern border.

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2010, 06:56:48 PM »
As long as you're qualified--meaning educated, certified, LICENSED, etc, I think it's only fair that you can practice law or your profession where ever. If you can pass the same national or state licensure exam, why not? Should we restrict that 'right' to only 'indigenous' people? Might be kind of hard to find enough of them to qualify the ways things are today.

My Father has practiced (On behalf of US corporations), in many Asian nations, EU nations, Canada, Mexico, C. and S. America and more. All the same, here in the USA he had to take the California & Illinois bar exams to practice there and in when he was almost 70 y/o, the Florida bar exam in order to practice there, where he and my Mom spend 4 or 5 months a year and he does mostly charity legal work.

He passed each bar exam the first time and in Asian countries, especially Japan, they not only respect him highly, but they ask for his help in certain situations. Without his vision and diplomatic skills, the Japanese and Korean auto industries would still probably be making their vehicles over seas and shipping them here. He spear headed the first US--Japanese joint venture (the now closed Nummi plant --was in Fremont CA) building GM and Toyotas on the same assembly line using the same workers. Ford and Chrysler had a cow at first, then realized it was on sound legal ground with the govts at the time and in months were doing the same with Mazda and Mitsubishi.

Now at age 75, dear old Dad is trying to make the USA rail road system as competitive and efficient as foreign nations, and I tell you, it isn't easy with the short sighted crew in Washington DC now. Our best USA rail road locomotives and technology is used overseas and not in the USA and he wants to help change that. France and England, not to forget Japan, find our RR's laughable

Back to autos and trucks, today, the three vehicles sold in the USA that have the most USA labor and USA made material content in them are Toyota vehicles. That even surprised me. Of course, most of the profits go back to japan, as do most of the US company profits from goods they manufacture in China and elsewhere.

Like it or not, whether it's manufacturing,  law, medicine, computers, plumbing etc, national barriers are no longer as clear cut, as realistically effective nor necessary as they once were.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 08:13:57 PM by robert angel »

Offline jm21-2

« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2010, 07:07:03 PM »
Open borders doesn't mean no borders.

We essentially had open borders for most of our history to one extent or another and did just fine. The only real bar on citizenship and controls on immigration up until the '50s or so were related to race. You couldn't become a USC unless you were white until the 14th amendment when blacks could become citizens. Asians, and Filipinos in particular, were denied naturalization until well into the 20th century (Almost all Asians were not allowed naturalization until 1943). The current immigration scheme with preferences for certain groups (family members, skilled workers, etc) wasn't set up until much later (1965). So to say we can't survive without some complicated immigration scheme with quotas and so forth (quotas weren't introduced until 1952) is bogus.

Libertarians are the open border types generally (myself included) and most would not consider them leftists.

As a side note on Robert's post...railways are usually only successful if heavily subsidized. They're a thing of the past and we should be running away from them. Same for solar power, wind power, and nuclear power for the most part.

Offline Osa

• My Twitter
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2010, 07:54:17 PM »
thanks for your intelligent thoughts on the matter, JM.  it is making me rethink the matter

@robert:  you're dad sounds cool!  I know little about the economics of railroads, but a better one in the US would be a nice alternative to flying.  As it is, though I like the rails, I find them severely overpriced.  i took a train from New jersey to maryland a year or two ago...think it was 70 to 90 dollars.  thats too much for mass trans.

i recommend a new train from Montreal to Buenos Aires...that way we can all ship ourselves and our cuties around with the greatest ease :P

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2010, 07:54:17 PM »

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2010, 09:37:43 PM »
Re:

>>railways are usually only successful if heavily subsidized. They're a thing of the past<<.

Yes--they do require govt subsidies usually, but 'a thing of the past'?

How do you think we're going to move coal, as that's not going away anytime soon--seen the record number of new coal fueled energy plant permits approved in recent years? It's dirty energy for sure, but like it or not, we're sticking with it.

What about farm stuffs--corn, wheat, etc? Were we live, we have trains miles long just carrying kaolin, chicken parts, and wood pulp to be loaded onto ships going overseas. Sad thing is the ships that come here, are carrying finshed apparel, automobles and other manufactured goods.

Then the rail roads transport those goods inland. Trucks just can't begin to move all that stuff in a more fuel efficient, eco green, or less traffic congesting manner--yes those last three are really all under the term 'eco green'. But trains, for commercial as well as transportation in urban areas--corridors, are still a great idea and we are far, far behind the mindset of many other highly industrialized nations with areas of high population density in realizing it.

We move a lot of fuel by rail too, suprisingly.

The below information a Korean family sent to me was rather suprising to me. I already knew that virtually all the oil we drill for that turns out to be a big producing 'hole' in the USA and off of our shores, we're capping those 'wells' to save it for later on.

Here's an interesting read, important and verifiable information :

About 6 months ago, the writer was watching a news program on oil and
one of the Forbes Bros. was the guest. The host said to Forbes, "I am going to
ask you a direct question and I would like a direct answer; how much oil
does the U.S. have in the ground?" Forbes did not miss a beat, he said, "more
than all the Middle East put together." Please read below.

The U. S. Geological Service issued a report in April 2008 that only
scientists and oil men knew was coming, but man was it big. It was a
revised report (hadn't been updated since 1995) on how much oil was in
this area of the western 2/3 of North Dakota , western South Dakota ,
and extreme eastern Montana ...... check THIS out:<http://oilshalegas.com/bakkenshale.html>http://bakkenshale.net/bakkenshalemap.html
The Bakken is the largest domestic oil discovery since Alaska 's Prudhoe
Bay, and has the potential to eliminate all American dependence on foreign
oil. The Energy Information Administration (EIA) estimates it at 503 billion
barrels. Even if just 10% of the oil is recoverable... at $107 a barrel,
we're looking at a resource base worth more than $5..3 trillion.

"When I first briefed legislators on this, you could practically see
their jaws hit the floor. They had no idea.." says Terry Johnson, the Montana
Legislature's financial analyst.

"This sizable find is now the highest-producing onshore oil field found
in the past 56 years," reports The Pittsburgh Post Gazette. It's a
formation known as the Williston Basin , but is more commonly referred to as the
'Bakken.' It stretches from Northern Montana, through North Dakota and
into Canada .. For years, U. S. oil exploration has been considered a dead
end. Even the 'Big Oil' companies gave up searching for major oil wells
decades ago. However, a recent technological breakthrough has opened up
the Bakken's massive reserves.... and we now have access of up to 500
billion barrels. And because this is light, sweet oil, those billions of barrels
will cost Americans just $16 PER BARREL!

That's enough crude to fully fuel the American economy for 2041 years
straight. And if THAT didn't throw you on the floor, then this next one
should - because it's from 2006!

U. S. Oil Discovery- Largest Reserve in the World

Stansberry Report Online - 4/20/2006

Hidden 1,000 feet beneath the surface of the Rocky Mountains lies the
largest untapped oil reserve in the world. It is more than 2 TRILLION
barrels. On August 8, 2005 President Bush mandated its extraction. In
three and a half years of high oil prices none has been extracted. With this
motherload of oil why are we still fighting over off-shore drilling?

They reported this stunning news: We have more oil inside our borders,
than all the other proven reserves on earth. Here are the official estimates:

- 8-times as much oil as Saudi Arabia

- 18-times as much oil as Iraq

- 21-times as much oil as Kuwait

- 22-times as much oil as Iran

- 500-times as much oil as Yemen

- and it's all right here in the Western United States .

HOW can this BE? HOW can we NOT BE extracting this? Because the
environmentalists and others have blocked all efforts to help America
become independent of foreign oil! Again, we are letting a small group of
people dictate our lives and our economy.....WHY?

James Bartis, lead researcher with the study says we've got more oil in
this very compact area than the entire Middle East -more than 2 TRILLION
barrels untapped. That's more than all the proven oil reserves of crude oil in
the world today, reports The Denver Post.

Don't think 'OPEC' will drop its price - even with this find? Think
again!
It's all about the competitive marketplace, - it has to. Think OPEC just
might be funding the environmentalists?

Got your attention yet? Now, while you're thinking about it, do this:

Pass this along. If you don't take a little time to do this, then you
should stifle yourself the next time you complain about gas prices - by
doing NOTHING, you forfeit your right to complain.

--------

Now I just wonder what would happen in this country if every one of you
sent this to every one in your address book.

By the way...this is all true. Check it out at the link below!!!

GOOGLE it, or follow this link. It will blow your mind.
http://www.usgs.gov/newsroom/article.asp?ID=1911 <http://www.usgs.gov/newsroom/article.asp?ID=1911http://www.usgs.gov/newsroom/article.asp?ID=1911 <http://www.usgs.gov/newsroom/article.asp?ID=1911  
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 09:43:27 PM by robert angel »

Offline jm21-2

« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2010, 10:46:25 PM »
I like the clips John Stossel did on energy Independence in America, showing how each president has made it a focus for quite some time. Fast forward to the 2 minute mark to skip the intro. We always take about energy independence but it's a pipe dream and not necessarily desirable.
EDIT: the threat of dependence on foreign oil allows a lot of politicians to sign off on subsidies to various groups (wind, solar, nuclear, natural gas, etc.). Crony capitalism at its finest. The politicians create a fear, they promise to fix the problem, and in the process of not fixing the problem their friends and supporters make a lot of dough.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYSFZLOGmWA

As far as trains go, they're probably still good for hauling cargo, but all these ideas of high speed rail and emulating the Europeans/Japanese doesn't seem to make sense. Because they already have the infrastructure it's not a bad deal for them. For us, if we have to build the infrastructure it's a pretty dang bad idea. Look at all the money China is wasting on lines that doesn't get used much.

Besides, the government will almost no doubt make a mess of it. My Gf's brother talked with me a bit about the subway system in Taipei. It's not a particularly bad system, but for half the lines they used one company's train and for the other half used a different train. The two are not interchangeable and it has caused all sorts of problems and waste. I'm going to take a wild guess that some money changed hands ("political contributions") to end up with such a system.

Also look at the MAX system where I lived in Portland, OR. The liberals love it but it is very under-used. This is a famous picture where a Coyote felt comfortable on the max line due to the lack of people...

If trains are great for transportation there's no need to subsidize them. It will happen on its own.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 10:56:24 PM by jm21-2 »

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5876
Latest: ponttfsch
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 133132
Total Topics: 7864