It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: Salsa Dance  (Read 14469 times)

Offline Awesome

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: 1 - 3
Re: Salsa Dance
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2016, 02:57:37 PM »
Lol... no, Awesome, I don't think I'm as well traveled as you and some others on the site ;-) 

But I am aware that people dance salsa differently in different regions. 

Maybe it would have been more accurate to say "Different regions" rather than "Every region".

I haven't travelled to many regions either but I'm guessing that salsa music is mainly popular in the coastal regions (Cali, Barranquilla) where there are significant populations of Afro-Colombians.  The more inland regions vallenato is by far the most popular music.

Where I'm going, Caracas, salsa seems to be extremely popular among all age groups, very similar to Cali.

Offline Hector_Lavoe

• Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2016, 09:34:12 PM »

I haven't travelled to many regions either but I'm guessing that salsa music is mainly popular in the coastal regions (Cali, Barranquilla) where there are significant populations of Afro-Colombians.  The more inland regions vallenato is by far the most popular music.

Where I'm going, Caracas, salsa seems to be extremely popular among all age groups, very similar to Cali.

Salsa is to Cali as Football is to Texas. It is a big deal...and you hear it everywhere. I still have always encountered salsa in some form in every other place I've been in Colombia (Barranquilla, Cali, Cartagena and Medellin).

True salsa is not as big of a deal in Medellin but you can still find it certain discos/clubs. I did hear salsa in Medellin in cab rides/uber rides (though this was skewed to an older demographic).

Vallenato music originated in Valledupar which is actually in northeast Colombia not far from the Venezuelan border and not terribly far from the northern coast. I heard plenty of Vallenato in Barranquilla and plenty of ladies there mentioned it as music they enjoy. Did not hear much about Vallenato in Medellin.

My favorite Vallenato artist is Alfredo Gutierrez. He is originally from the Sucre Department (northern coastal department near Cartagena).

« Last Edit: December 10, 2016, 10:08:17 PM by Hector_Lavoe »

Offline Gavan

• Trips: > 10
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2016, 04:59:59 AM »
Salsa is to Cali as Football is to Texas. It is a big deal...and you hear it everywhere. I still have always encountered salsa in some form in every other place I've been in Colombia (Barranquilla, Cali, Cartagena and Medellin).

True salsa is not as big of a deal in Medellin but you can still find it certain discos/clubs. I did hear salsa in Medellin in cab rides/uber rides (though this was skewed to an older demographic).

I have heard salsa in taxis everywhere I have been in Latin America. In Peru you definitely hear it all the time, especially modern salsa (Mark Anthony, etc.). Here is a Peruvian radio station that plays salsa.

Peru actually has a decent salsa scene too. There is a city near Lima called "El Callao" (actually a part of "Lima Metropolitana") which is known for having a lot of salsa bands and dancers. There is a a big salsa festival there every year.  Here is nuestro amigo Héctor Lavoe improvising about el Callao  ;D . Lots of Cuban salseros in Lima too.

Also popular in Latin America nowadays is "salsaton" (fusion of salsa and reggaeton). Here is a classic of this genre that was very popular when I was living in Peru.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2016, 06:03:28 AM by Gavan »

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2016, 04:59:59 AM »

Offline MariaJBueno

• Colombia´s #1 Matchmaker
    • Exclusive Colombian Matchmaker
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2016, 06:37:37 AM »
Barranquilleros love salsa, specially old school salsa. There is are saturday radio shows all about salsa and salsa contests. We have Troja and Salsa bars in calle 8. And of course we love and adore el Joe Arroyo.

Our style of dancing salsa is very different from Calenos or Puerto Ricans etc.. Here it is either  a  one man's show or you dance very close to your partner without all the turns. Which if you are dancing with the person you like or love, you want to feel like one dancing to same beat in harmony.  No need to show off your dancing skills but that you love your partner and that you both can dance together gracefully.

;D
Let me personally help you find your Colombian queen today, and save you a lot of time, money, and heartache from dating the wrong women: 
www.ExclusiveColombianMatchmaker.com
----------------
Let's Talk!
http://bit.ly/2NRwsHG
Follow Me:
IG: @colombianmatchmaker
CH: @matchmakercol

Offline Awesome

« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2016, 12:15:48 PM »
. Did not hear much about Vallenato in Medellin.

I just left Medellin yesterday and while I was there I heard vallenato music playing nonstop everywhere I went.  Every girl I've ever met in Medellin knows every word to every single vallenato song that plays on the radio.

Offline Awesome

« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2016, 01:00:23 PM »
Barranquilleros love salsa, specially old school salsa. There is are saturday radio shows all about salsa and salsa contests. We have Troja and Salsa bars in calle 8. And of course we love and adore el Joe Arroyo.

Our style of dancing salsa is very different from Calenos or Puerto Ricans etc.. Here it is either  a  one man's show or you dance very close to your partner without all the turns. Which if you are dancing with the person you like or love, you want to feel like one dancing to same beat in harmony.  No need to show off your dancing skills but that you love your partner and that you both can dance together gracefully.

;D

Joe Arroyo heck yea!!

Offline MariaJBueno

« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2016, 03:28:47 PM »
Joe Arroyo heck yea!!

He is so good my egyptian husband, who had never really listened to salsa, can spot his songs right away. The only time I can get him to dance salsa is when El Joe is on. He loves La Noche.
Let me personally help you find your Colombian queen today, and save you a lot of time, money, and heartache from dating the wrong women: 
----------------
Let's Talk!
Follow Me:

Offline Gavan

« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2016, 05:04:24 PM »

He is so good my egyptian husband, who had never really listened to salsa, can spot his songs right away. The only time I can get him to dance salsa is when El Joe is on. He loves La Noche.

Yeah he is great. One of my favorite salsa songs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWBf9hfW_4Y

Offline MariaJBueno

« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2016, 05:23:20 PM »

Yeah he is great. One of my favorite salsa songs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWBf9hfW_4Y

+1
Best song ever..
----------------
Let's Talk!
Follow Me:

Offline Hector_Lavoe

« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2016, 07:27:05 PM »
I just left Medellin yesterday and while I was there I heard vallenato music playing nonstop everywhere I went.  Every girl I've ever met in Medellin knows every word to every single vallenato song that plays on the radio.

Ok, cool. I was only there 4 nights.....

Offline Awesome

« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2016, 12:13:38 AM »
Ok, cool. I was only there 4 nights.....

Same here in Cucuta, vallenato seems to be the go to music that people listen to.  It's funny because even though vallenato seems to be the most popular music in Colombia, NOBODY besides Colombians like it.  Kind of like aguardiente.  Aguardiente by far and away is the most popular alcoholic beverage of Colombians, but everybody else HATES aguardiente.

Offline Gavan

« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2016, 05:09:01 AM »

Same here in Cucuta, vallenato seems to be the go to music that people listen to.  It's funny because even though vallenato seems to be the most popular music in Colombia, NOBODY besides Colombians like it.  Kind of like aguardiente.  Aguardiente by far and away is the most popular alcoholic beverage of Colombians, but everybody else HATES aguardiente.

Yeah vallenato isn't very popular outside of Colombia, except maybe for vallenato-pop singers like Carlos Vives who seems to be pretty popular everywhere in Latin America at the moment. I also heard this vallenato-pop song a lot when I was in Peru about 10 years ago. There is also a lot of Reggaeton with vallenato influence .
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 05:12:11 AM by Gavan »

Offline Elexpatriado

« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2016, 06:22:52 AM »

Yeah vallenato isn't very popular outside of Colombia, except maybe for vallenato-pop singers like Carlos Vives who seems to be pretty popular everywhere in Latin America at the moment. I also heard this vallenato-pop song a lot when I was in Peru about 10 years ago. There is also a lot of Reggaeton with vallenato influence .

Its popular in Venezuela. Maracaibo and Caracas are a lot closer to Valledupar than Cali or Medellin, dont forget

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2016, 06:22:52 AM »

Offline Gavan

« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2016, 06:38:14 AM »

Its popular in Venezuela. Maracaibo and Caracas are a lot closer to Valledupar than Cali or Medellin, dont forget

Yeah I remember hearing it was popular in Venezuela as well. But those are pretty much the only countries I think. It is not like cumbia which is popular almost everywhere in South-America from Ecuador to Argentina. I would say that outside of Colombia, cumbia is actually the most popular "tropical" music in South-America (yes, more popular than salsa). Even in Mexico it is very popular. 

Offline Kiltboy1

• She Loves What's Under The Kilt
  • Spouse's Country: Other Latin America
« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2016, 06:42:02 AM »
The Vallanato-Pop is popular even here in the states.

Carlos Vives and Fonseca were in Charlotte recently to sold out areans .
She Loves What's Under The Kilt !

Viva Ecuador !

Offline Gavan

« Reply #40 on: December 16, 2016, 06:44:24 AM »

Yeah, those two seem to be popular with latinos everywhere. I don't think more traditional vallenato is though.

Offline MariaJBueno

« Reply #41 on: December 16, 2016, 08:51:58 AM »

Yeah, those two seem to be popular with latinos everywhere. I don't think more traditional vallenato is though.

Some of the traditional vallenato songs are tied to holidays. And back in the day radio stations would mainly play Salsa, Merengue and Ballads.
Even now a days no radio station would be caught dead playing anything else but old Colombian christmas songs, vallenatos or carnival music during the holidays. (specially here in BQA)

e.g Diomedes Diaz, made an everlasting Birthday song, a christmas song, a carnivals song etc... 

I don't care how much a Colombian over 20 swears to hate vallenatos, I guarantee you once they hear one of these they will know all the words, they will be transported to their childhood and reminisce about the old days and even bust a tear or two... Regardless of where they live, how educated they are or how deep they are into some other music genres. Lol.

----------------
Let's Talk!
Follow Me:

Offline Elexpatriado

« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2016, 10:28:15 AM »

e.g Diomedes Diaz, made an everlasting Birthday song, a christmas song, a carnivals song etc... 

Id rather listen to Nazi marching music than that HP Diomedes Diaz..may he rot in hell..loser..

Now Silvestre Dangond..I love, seen him live..

Offline benjio

• Spouse's Country: Brazil
« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2016, 11:06:06 AM »

Id rather listen to Nazi marching music than that HP Diomedes Diaz..may he rot in hell..loser..

I LOVE SILVESTRE!!! I own every single album on CD or in my iTunes library. I even met him at the airport in Bogota and he took time out to speak with me for a few minutes. His music hasn't been the same since the split with Juancho though. You could immediately tell the difference after he left. I think he was doing a large porge portion of the writing and producing. Last time I was in Colombia a couple of my friends there even suggested he was a better vocalist before he lost all the weight. LOL!!!

With respect to Joe Arroyo, En Barranquilla Me Quedo. Best song EVER made about a city with Sinatra's "New York" coming in a close second.

Offline Awesome

« Reply #44 on: December 16, 2016, 12:00:07 PM »

Yes that would make sense that vallenato would be popular in Venezuela, especially the regions closer to Colombia.  And I think the popular drink in Venezuela is "anis" which is the same thing as Colombian aguardiente just by a different name.

Offline Awesome

« Reply #45 on: December 16, 2016, 12:02:43 PM »

Yes Carlos Vives does get a lot of radio play in the States, but other than him you're not going to find many non-Colombians listening to vallenato music.

Offline MariaJBueno

« Reply #46 on: December 16, 2016, 12:18:13 PM »

Personally, I couldn't care less about either one.. however, if you go to valledupar for example.. people think Silvestre is a disgrace to vallenato....

I don't think a lot of colombians care if he is rotting in hell or not, when they sing DD's birthday song... Lolz..  ;D
[size=78%] [/size]
----------------
Let's Talk!
Follow Me:

Offline MariaJBueno

« Reply #47 on: December 16, 2016, 12:22:44 PM »
His music hasn't been the same since the split with Juancho though. You could immediately tell the difference after he left.

With respect to Joe Arroyo, En Barranquilla Me Quedo. Best song EVER made about a city with Sinatra's "New York" coming in a close second.

Agreed, although I'm not into vallenato... Juancho made a difference.

I simply love Joe.. so yeah this too is also the best song ever.. I love them all what can I say.  ;D
----------------
Let's Talk!
Follow Me:

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #47 on: December 16, 2016, 12:22:44 PM »

Offline mambocowboy

• Spouse's Country: Colombia
« Reply #48 on: December 16, 2016, 09:27:36 PM »

Agreed, although I'm not into vallenato... Juancho made a difference.

I simply love Joe.. so yeah this too is also the best song ever.. I love them all what can I say.  ;D
Long live salsa! As for vallenato, I don't care for it...

Offline Elexpatriado

« Reply #49 on: December 17, 2016, 06:27:57 AM »

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5871
Latest: ponttbryr
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0