It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: In Your Opinion Are Colombians Racist?  (Read 12120 times)

Offline Kiltboy1

• She Loves What's Under The Kilt
  • Spouse's Country: Other Latin America
  • Trips: > 10
Re: In Your Opinion Are Colombians Racist?
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2009, 06:45:05 AM »
I like em all !
I never threw a woman out of bed regardless of her skin color except to find a better position on the floor ;)
I am all about the Rainbow baby
She Loves What's Under The Kilt !

Viva Ecuador !

Offline Jeff S

• Global Moderator
  • Spouse's Country: Japan
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2009, 07:40:04 AM »
Bad 40, I think his point, and correct me if I'm wrong kb, is that you think there is something non-self accepting (somewhat racist) about dark skinned Colombianas preferring not to date black American men, yet here you are thousands of miles from home, interested in women of another race, preferring not to date black American women.

I guess I must be one of those lack of self acceptance of my ancestry kind of people, of whom you speak, because I also much prefer, black, brown or yellow women over white American women, especially over Jewish American princesses. But hey, of all three billion women in the world, I only get to pick one for a lifetime partner, so it might as well be someone I'm most attracted to. And it sure doesn't mean I have a pointy hood tucked back in my closet.

Offline sean126

« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2009, 09:02:50 AM »
I like em all !
I never threw a woman out of bed regardless of her skin color except to find a better position on the floor ;)

I'm against sleeping with green women...like Capt. Kirk did in Star Trek.  That's where I draw the line dawg-gone-it!  No green women and no green eggs and ham.  I do not like them, I do not like them Sam I Am.  I would not like them in a tree, I would not like them in bed with me. 

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2009, 09:02:50 AM »

Offline Capstone

• Spouse's Country: China
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2009, 12:02:57 PM »
In her defense, she was not completely wrong, though it was evidence that a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, especially in a stubborn woman.  Dog meat is eaten in Korea and China and a few other Asian countries, though not Japan (banned there 1600 years ago).  Though it is not just any stray dog, it is a special breed raised specifically as a food breed.  And raw meat is eaten in Japan, specifically raw sea food.  Raw land animal meat is a rare delicacy found not just in Japan (steak Tartar anyone?).  I've never seen raw meat in any form at any Chinese restaurant.  Cap?  Anyone?
And rats are eaten in S.E. Asia, India, S.E. Spain, and some other places.  But Wiki doesn't list China as one of them.

You are right Bob - I have never seen raw meat of any kind served in China except in the Japanese restaurants where of course sashimi & sushi can be had. I have seen and eaten some pretty funky things in China but never raw meat of any kind. Rat is not eaten in China and would be considered disgusting to do so but I have gone to a restaurant in China where dog & donkey were on the menu. Restaurants that serve dog are pretty few & far between these days though as its popularity as a dish has really diminished.

Offline jm21-2

• Spouse's Country: Taiwan
  • Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2009, 01:21:39 PM »
I was asked if I ate dog (said no). No raw meat that I could see...the meat was over-cooked if anything, especially the shrimp. I read some stories about Chinese people eating rat on Dave's ESL forums. Also some news articles about people protesting cat eating (apparently cat meat increases virility). From what I've read it sounds like the really weird stuff happens in the Guangdong area.

I think what Bad40 may be getting at (and I could be totally off base here) is that some dark-skinned women seemed to wish they were another race (whiter). I may want to date women of other races but I am perfectly comfortable with my race and don't want to look like a Chinese guy. My girl may want to date a white guy because she likes colored eyes or who knows what, but she definitely is content being Chinese and wouldn't want to be a white girl.

I've read some very interesting articles comparing the civil rights movement in America compared to Brazil. From what I understand the racism in Brazil was less violent and overt inequality (e.g. separate but equal) ended much earlier there. But the Brazilian system is designed to keep the ruling group in power so it's very difficult to get ahead as a minority. Some of the articles suggested that because there was less overt racism that there was not enough impetus for a movement to fight against the under-the-table kind of racism.

Offline bcc_1_2

• Spouse's Country: Other Latin America
  • Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2009, 01:40:12 PM »
I like em all !

and that sums it all up really for my purposes and my chica interests. Chinese, latina, black, slavic, whatever... you're hot or you're not. If you'd rather be with an uggo of one race over a sweet hottie of another... racism is the least of your problems... you are freakin insane.

I suppose if you were black in Brazil and you were subject to racist treatment your whole life you might wonder what being a  different color might be like. It doesn't have to be a self worth issue... the person just might wonder what it is like to be treated better.

I'm not from the southern part of the USA but I did work with an african american lady in her 60s from Alabama. She said all she ever wanted was to be treated just like everyone else. I wouldn't find it surprising if whatever race that recieved poor treatment in whatever country just wanted the same thing as my co-worker wanted in her youth in Alabama.

If your girlfriend tries to keep her skin light (as an example) I don't think you can automatically assume she is racist. I'd say she might very well just be going with society norms... if you have lighter skin you get treated better.
Retiring in Tela, Honduras is 14,600 days (haha)

Offline jm21-2

• Spouse's Country: Taiwan
  • Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2009, 03:34:15 PM »
I think there's a big difference between wanting to change society to treat you equally and wanting to change yourself so that society will treat you equally. I think it would be incredibly sad going through life thinking that you are inferior due to an immutable characteristic you were born with (and hence nothing you can do about it).

Offline Pivery

• Spouse's Country: Colombia
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2009, 05:58:16 PM »

Something that occured to me while I was reading throught this post. There are still some people who are real sticklers about only marrying
within their own race. I never could understand this myself. As was said earlier, there are 3 million (?) women in the world. Now according to some
I have to narrow this down to my race? ??? Uh, no...

I remembered a black friend I had way back who would only date black women. Where we lived there weren't too many around, so he chased around
the few that were there in town. But smokin' hot non-black women might as well have been lepers to him. Bizarre...
On the other hand I knew a girl who's mother and father told her that her being Danish that to marry a black or ? would be suicide to the family. I have
heard this with Chinese and a German freind I had back in school as well. Their parents were so obsessed about keeping their lineage "pure". I figure with the
increased inter-racial/cultural marriages across the world, we are all going to be part something else in the near future. Is that so bad?

As to the dark-skinned women wanting only light-skinned men, I would imagine they are crossing off many potentially good mates because of skin tone.
So in a country like say Colombia that has a finite amount of men visiting/looking,
to immediately cross off the black/dark-skinned men is diminishing their chances of their true mate somewhat.
It seems that the women should be looking for Mr. Right, not necessarily Mr. White. To each his/her own I suppose. Me, I like all 31 flavors! 8)

Pivery   
"Take care of your lady or somebody else will."

Offline Gavan

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2009, 06:38:58 PM »
Sadly, this kind of mentality exists in Peru, too. Before I met my gf, I was corresponding with a Peruana who never missed a chance to tell me that she was white skinned and insinuated that she was better because of it. Her whiteness was almost like a badge of honor for her.

Yeah, it most certainly does. In Peru being lighter skinned is considered more attractive. Having dark skin is considered a flaw. You can still be attractive if you have dark skin but people will say things like "She has dark skin BUT she is still pretty". Lots of Peruvians call themselves white when they actually have brown skin and if you tell them they get offended...

However, lots of Peruvians also hate pale white skin. I am a pretty pale guy who doesn´t tan very well and I have been made fun of and even insulted because of my skin color here in Peru.

Peruvians also go to the beach to tan, which I find kind of funny.

Ken in Trujillo, Peru

Offline sean126

« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2009, 08:09:42 PM »
One of my best friends in Barranquilla is single and I think she'd make someone a great wife.  I showed some of her pictures to some guys at work, with her permission and then showed her theirs and she said the one guy was too dark.  She is also dark and doesn't care for her skin color and wants a much lighter man.

Offline Jeff S

• Global Moderator
  • Spouse's Country: Japan
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2009, 08:19:08 AM »
Darker skinned Mexicanas also think of themselves as ugly, but thet don't associate it with race, but rather as a body flaw, like having a big nose, or small boobs. My secretary for over 12 years, a very attractive Mexicana thought of herself as a morena, and so somewhat uglier than a blanca.

I think reading some deep seated psychological self-loathing of their own race into this is a big mistake. I can't think of a single young woman, no matter how attractive, who doesn't have issues with some perceived body flaw - women with curly hair wish that had straight, with straight hair wish they had curly, with dark skin, wish they were lighter, with light skin wish they were darker, Asian women think their noses are too flat - Jewish women think theirs are too big - on and on. It has nothing to do with race and everything to do with this crazy beauty ideal that enriches plastic surgeons everywhere.

Offline sean126

« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2009, 08:32:11 AM »
Sad to say...I also have a problem with self loathing.  I'm toooooo sexy for my clothes.  I wish I wasn't as sexy, but more of a normal less sexy look....say in Sir William The Old's category.  My life would then be much easier to deal with on a day to day basis.  8) 

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5876
Latest: ponttfsch
New This Month: 4
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 133129
Total Topics: 7864
Most Online Today: 115