Forum > Latin -> General discussion

F3 Tornado in Barranquilla

<< < (2/3) > >>

fathertime:
I did not realize how powerful the storm was until i drove into some of effected area to see my lady. The power was out for many, many hours and when we left it still was, around 8pm. Kinda screwed up my plans but I heard some people lost their lives in the freak occurance.

fathertime

Montrealer:
My power blinked on and off a couple of times, mostly due to surges I think.  My parent-in-laws house lost power for about 90 minutes or so too.  Some parts were hit pretty hard and they may still be out of power today.  I know some buildings were levelled, and alot of power lines and trees were ripped up too.  I haven't stepped out yet to pick up the Heraldo to see the report about the tornado yet, but I checked out Caracol Radio last night and they said they were believing some deaths did occur, but none had actually been confirmed.  Several 100 people were injured, but they didn't say the gravity of most of the injuries.

The good news is that Soledad didn't get the worst of it like they usually do.  Soledad is the poorest area of Barranquilla (actually a suburb of it) and usually due to their location they get hit alot by storms and are often rebuilding.

I'll keep you posted with any other developments, or if any one knows anything else...

EbonyPrince:
Great pics Monty.  I would of never guessed that a tornado could strike Colombia.  I guess that can happen anywhere, but I always thought that it was too hot for anything to form there.

Congrats on getting established in BAQ.  I plan to be there in November.  I will look you up.

jediknight:
my wifes younger sister was in school and in the middle of it when it happened, she told me that it was really scarey. my suegra told me that they've experienced severe storms before but nothing of this magnitud. schools in the affected area will be closed for a few days and unfortunatley there were people who took advantage of the power outages with acts of looting.
JK

lapentier:
Those pictures are interesting--not normally the location I would expect to see such a strong storm.  In Kansas, we are used to periodically seeing these storms and hearing the sirens. 

The teacher in me has to ask a couple of questions:  (1) How did the locals percieve this?  Did it register with them at what they were looking?  (2) Was there any type of public warning such as announcements on the radio or sirens, etc.?

My apologies to everyone for being off-topic, but I am curious.

Regards,

Mark

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version