It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: IMBRA to be Re-Authorized in 2012  (Read 4902 times)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • Russian Women Discussion
  • Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: > 10
IMBRA to be Re-Authorized in 2012
« on: March 02, 2012, 03:01:52 PM »
IMBRA legislation is up for renewal in 2012 as part of VAWA Re-Authorization.

Attached is a redline of the changes to be made in the Re-Authorization showing the entire VAWA Table of Content with *only* the relevant IMBRA pages (begins in the middle of numbered page 99 in the attached report). Should anyone wish the entire document, just let me know.

FYI

- Dan

Offline Brazilophile

Re: IMBRA to be Re-Authorized in 2012
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 07:35:26 PM »
I have started to follow Eliot Spitzer on the Current network.  He had a segment tonight about the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) that contains IMBRA.  His guest was congressman who worked on it.  Apparently the Senate passed a version that is what Dan posted, however, the House wants to make changes.  I didn't get all of it because Spitzer is a lawyer and his guest is a lawyer and they started speaking legalese.  The congressman said that the House Republicans want to roll back some elements of VAWA, specifically areas that make it easier for immigrant women to get residency and citizenship.  For example, if a woman whose status derives from her husband claims domestic violence, they don't want her to be able to gain residency status from that husband should they divorce.  At least that is what I understood. 

Offline V_Man

• Spouse's Country: Colombia
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 01:53:20 AM »
I don't know why you USA guys are so tolerant of having such big limitations to your freedoms.

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 01:53:20 AM »

Offline Researcher

• The Perfect Match!
  • Spouse's Country: Colombia
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 02:04:28 AM »
I don't know why you USA guys are so tolerant of having such big limitations to your freedoms.

The answer is "P-whipped" panzies! hahaha!

Researcher
Every man has his own courage, and is betrayed because he seeks in himself the courage of other persons. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • Russian Women Discussion
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 06:18:45 AM »
I have started to follow Eliot Spitzer on the Current network.  He had a segment tonight about the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) that contains IMBRA.  His guest was congressman who worked on it.  Apparently the Senate passed a version that is what Dan posted, however, the House wants to make changes.  I didn't get all of it because Spitzer is a lawyer and his guest is a lawyer and they started speaking legalese.  The congressman said that the House Republicans want to roll back some elements of VAWA, specifically areas that make it easier for immigrant women to get residency and citizenship.  For example, if a woman whose status derives from her husband claims domestic violence, they don't want her to be able to gain residency status from that husband should they divorce.  At least that is what I understood.

This article -> Caveat Emptor, by a former INS Enforcement Officer, describes the situation with VAWA and false DV claims quite well.

- Dan

Offline Brazilophile

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2013, 07:14:15 AM »
I had heard, in mid-2012, that the VAWA had not yet been re-authorized.  Both the Senate and the House passed different versions of the re-authorized law but didn't agree on a reconciliation bill. I was not sure and didn't pay close attention.

Yesterday, in the hubbub of the fiscal cliff, debt ceiling, and the swearing in of the 113th Congress, a reporter let slip about the unfinished work of the 112th Congress.  It included VAWA!  VAWA was never re-authorized in 2012 and EXPIRED on Dec. 31, 2012.

So, as of the first of the year, VAWA, and its derivative law IMBRA, are NO LONGER IN EFFECT!!  

At least that is my understanding based on my reading of the current news.  Is there a lawyer in our midst who can shed light on this situation?  Can we speculate on whether our new Congress will re-authorize the Act in its entirety, or perhaps only re-authorize parts of it and leave others, such as IMBRA, for later debate?

Now I better understand why business generally likes a do-nothing Congress!  LOL!!

Offline Fakcomeyindee

• Probie
  • Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2014, 01:01:31 AM »
Very easy to understand Very useful

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5871
Latest: ponttbryr