It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: Ukraine at New Year's  (Read 4088 times)

Offline John K

Ukraine at New Year's
« on: January 25, 2006, 03:05:23 AM »
This was my 6th trip for me, mainly to celebrate the New Year's celebration with my in-laws. After arriving a day late in Kiev, we headed towards home (in Zhitomir). These are some basic impressions:

No visa was necessary to go. This is pretty common knowledge, but still it was a nice convenience. That is more money in my pocket and less hassle with Ukrainian officials before and during the trip. Borispol's airport modifications are finished now and are much more convenient for entering and leaving the country.

Along the way, I saw a TGI Fridays restaurant in Kiev. During one of the TV new year's celebration shows, there was a scene where a bunch of celebrities were sliding down a slide. Ronald McDonald was one of them. It is interesting to note the depth that our western capitalistic culture is seeping into the Ukrainian psyche.

The big news over there is about how Russia is raising natural gas prices against Ukraine. Apparently the rate has only doubled, due to recent negotiations between heads of state, but the political fallout from the situation has destabilized the goverment somewhat.

As far as New Year's goes, we had a quiet celebration at home. People started setting off fireworks in the early afternoon and throughout the evening. It continued throughout the night the nights following New Years, until we left. I would guess it would have continued to Jan. 7th, the orthodox Christmas.

My wife and I walked to the town square, thinking there might be a concert or something, but the was an empty stage and sparse crowds. People were taking each others' pictures in front of the town's main Christmas tree, talking to one of the Santa Clauses standing around, or riding a horse drawn carriage that was running around the town circle. Pretty quiet and mundane. Cops were not around much, preferring to huddle together in the alleys and drink vodka.

Little else to report. The water ran out one evening, but otherwise it was comfortable enough. Family was happy to see me. Much food was eaten and some alcohol was drank here and there. Pretty good trip, but short.

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5871
Latest: ponttbryr
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 133128
Total Topics: 7864
Most Online Today: 293