It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: "A Manifesto for Women of the World"  (Read 2449 times)

Offline doombug

• VAWA certified to be 100% free of wife beating.
"A Manifesto for Women of the World"
« on: June 13, 2006, 07:50:00 PM »
A Newsweek arrives.

One standout article and its web link:

Managing Mommies

Newsweek

June 19, 2006 issue - In "Get to Work: A Manifesto for Women of the World," Linda Hirshman, a retired philosophy professor, argues that women should stop wasting their expensive degrees in the nursery [an apparent euphemism for the bearing and raising of children]. She spoke with Peg Tyre.

What's wrong with a woman quitting if she wants to and can afford it?
Don't you think it's a little weird that it's only women who make this choice? What exactly do they see as their range of choice? And is this a good choice? The fact they chose it doesn't make it right.

Why not?
Well, if you have two or three children, you're out of the work force for 13 years. And you should have work that brings you influence, honor, compensation, a way of being political and a hand in shaping the world around you.

You really think stay-at-home moms can't lead honorable, risk-taking, intellectual lives?
Right. And don't hit me with those fantastical volunteer jobs. They don't exist.

You lay out rules for women who want careers.
Yes. Don't study art—take your education seriously to prepare for a life of work. Never quit your job until you have another one. Bargain relentlessly for a just household. Consider a reproductive strike.
[:lol::P:lol::P]

You suggest that women have one child, but you have three.
I have a biological child and two stepchildren. I'm not basing that recommendation on my experience. Social scientists tell us women are more likely to leave the work force after the birth of a second child.

What do you think of female law-school grads who make the decision to take time off to have kids?
I think they have not treated themselves fairly. If they have spent years in a very difficult technical education and it is not empowering them to have a better life as a result, then maybe they should have studied something else. The work of child rearing is not so great that you should take it all on yourself.

Don't you think it's wrong to impose your standards on all women and call it feminism?
These are not just my standards; they are based on studying history. Who changes history? What contributions get remembered most? Women are human beings. They are entitled to be analyzed as full members of the human species.
http://msnbc.msn.com/id/13249203/site/newsweek/

So women are human beings, but motherhood is inhumane.

Got it?

More third-wave feminism coming to a country near you.

"I can get a great look at a t-bone steak by shoving my head up a bull's ass, but I'd rather take the butcher's word for it."--Chris Farley

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • Russian Women Discussion
  • Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: > 10
RE: "A Manifesto for Women of the World"
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2006, 08:05:51 PM »
Hey DB - I was working up some of the new monikers/themes and subtitles recently.

Here is the one I settled on - what do you think:

GoodWife.com - Battling the Feminazi Agenda Since 1997

Along those same lines - this site is known as GoodWife. Reference the attached 'instructions' from a 1950's article. Seems an appropriate 'standard' to me - what do you think?

- Dan

Quote from: doombug
A Newsweek arrives.

One standout article and its web link:

Managing Mommies

Newsweek

June 19, 2006 issue - In "Get to Work: A Manifesto for Women of the World," Linda Hirshman, a retired philosophy professor, argues that women should stop wasting their expensive degrees in the nursery [an apparent euphemism for the bearing and raising of children]. She spoke with Peg Tyre.

What's wrong with a woman quitting if she wants to and can afford it?
Don't you think it's a little weird that it's only women who make this choice? What exactly do they see as their range of choice? And is this a good choice? The fact they chose it doesn't make it right.

Why not?
Well, if you have two or three children, you're out of the work force for 13 years. And you should have work that brings you influence, honor, compensation, a way of being political and a hand in shaping the world around you.

You really think stay-at-home moms can't lead honorable, risk-taking, intellectual lives?
Right. And don't hit me with those fantastical volunteer jobs. They don't exist.

You lay out rules for women who want careers.
Yes. Don't study art—take your education seriously to prepare for a life of work. Never quit your job until you have another one. Bargain relentlessly for a just household. Consider a reproductive strike.
[:lol::P:lol::P]

You suggest that women have one child, but you have three.
I have a biological child and two stepchildren. I'm not basing that recommendation on my experience. Social scientists tell us women are more likely to leave the work force after the birth of a second child.

What do you think of female law-school grads who make the decision to take time off to have kids?
I think they have not treated themselves fairly. If they have spent years in a very difficult technical education and it is not empowering them to have a better life as a result, then maybe they should have studied something else. The work of child rearing is not so great that you should take it all on yourself.

Don't you think it's wrong to impose your standards on all women and call it feminism?
These are not just my standards; they are based on studying history. Who changes history? What contributions get remembered most? Women are human beings. They are entitled to be analyzed as full members of the human species.
http://msnbc.msn.com/id/13249203/site/newsweek/

So women are human beings, but motherhood is inhumane.

Got it?

More third-wave feminism coming to a country near you.

Offline doombug

RE:  "A Manifesto for Women of the World"
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2006, 12:46:17 AM »
First off, the new site logo is awesome.  Very unique and identifiable. I now see how the 50's article ties into the new logo.

By the way, the logo would look great on a t-shirt/hat.:lol:  (I hope you guys consider marketing them here.)

As far as the theme goes, I'll take a critical stab at it:

GoodWife.com - Battling the Feminazi Agenda Since 1997

Might "skirting" (or a similar word) fit better than "battling"?

Skirting in this sense:  "To pass around rather than across or through."  

A twist, then, on your theme: "Goodwife.com - Skirting the Hazards of Feminism Since 1997."

This is essentially what sites such as GW aspire to inspire males to do, right?  Rather than man the trenches and plot counterattacks against feminism, MOB sites/agencies seem geared more towards relaying the message that, for many, greener pastures do in fact lie just over the horizon (or, just south of the equator:P).  Thus, MOB adherents skirt the battlefield.  Participants here may occasionally rant about the feminist-movement's foibles (as I just did in the previous post :lol: ), but this doesn't define the site.  

As I couldn't help myself, I offer a few more variations on your theme.  A mixture of the serious and half-serious: 

"Goodwife.com - Marriage outsourcing since 1997"

"Goodwife.com - Offering marriage outsourcing advice since 1997"

"Goodwife.com - Proving since 1997 that imports are better than American-made"

"Goodwife.com - Establishing since 1997 that imports are better than domestic"  

"Goodwife.com - Diagnosing why men migrate for marriage since 1997"

"Goodwife.com - Diagnosing why men migrate abroad since 1997"

"Goodwife.com - Advocating for international marriages since 1997"

"Goodwife.com - Promoting the honor of a foreign bride since 1997"

"Goodwife.com - Delaying the exinction of marriage in America since 1997"

"Goodwife.com - Promoting alternatives to domestic marriage since 1997"

"Goodwife.com - Your outpost for cross-border marriage since 1997" 
« Last Edit: June 14, 2006, 12:49:47 AM by doombug »

"I can get a great look at a t-bone steak by shoving my head up a bull's ass, but I'd rather take the butcher's word for it."--Chris Farley

Planet-Love.com

RE:  "A Manifesto for Women of the World"
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2006, 12:46:17 AM »

Offline Killer-B

• Global Moderator
  • "Screw you guys... I'm going home!"
RE:   "A Manifesto for Women of the World"
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2006, 07:06:39 AM »
LMAO! That's pretty good Doombug --

Heck, since everything ELSE has gone abroad - why not?

OUTSOURCING YOUR WIFE SINCE 1997!

I like the "skirting" thing too (Dan) -

Any chance we'll catch flack from Mr. Limbaugh for the whole femi-natzi thing - Didnt he coin that? (I haven't a clue - but that was the 1st place I heard of it)

Good stuff -

Cheers -

KB

Offline doombug

RE:    "A Manifesto for Women of the World"
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2006, 12:39:17 PM »
Quote from: killer-b
Any chance we'll catch flack from Mr. Limbaugh for the whole femi-natzi thing - Didnt he coin that? (I haven't a clue - but that was the 1st place I heard of it)

I was wondering the same thing.  Limbaugh used the term way back when he first started on radio (I recall hearing him use it frequently on his program in the late 80's), but Wikipedia states otherwise:

The term was popularized by conservative broadcaster Rush Limbaugh, who credited his friend Tom Hazlett, a professor of economics at the University of California, Davis, with coining the term.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feminazi

Other notable comments under this Wiki entry:

A similar term Femnazi [note the minor spelling variation] was coined earlier as the name of the male-hating female inhabitants of the fictional planet, Femnaz, in a Legion of Super-heroes story from a 1964 issue of Adventure Comics written by Superman co-creator Jerry Siegel.

Also:

In an April 2006 episode of The Colbert Report, Stephen Colbert used the word femistapo [:lol::lol::lol:] in his "The Word" segment. Femistapo is a portmanteau word combining feminist and Gestapo. It is a parody of the word feminazi.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2006, 12:40:23 PM by doombug »

Offline Dan

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2006, 03:05:26 PM »
Quote from: doombug
I was wondering the same thing.  Limbaugh used the term way back when he first started on radio (I recall hearing him use it frequently on his program in the late 80's), but Wikipedia states otherwise:

The term was popularized by conservative broadcaster Rush Limbaugh, who credited his friend Tom Hazlett, a professor of economics at the University of California, Davis, with coining the term.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feminazi

I wonder if Limbaugh might be interested in learning more about our site and the role we play in skirting the Feminazis.

After all, we are soon to be highlighted on UK television - might as well look for American radio to join in the swing.

- Dan

Offline doombug

RE:      "A Manifesto for Women of the World"
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2006, 01:06:58 AM »
Quote from: Dan
I wonder if Limbaugh might be interested in learning more about our site and the role we play in skirting the Feminazis.

Never hurts to ask.:lol:  

Which I just did.

In case anyone else cares to contact him:

rush@eibnet.com.

Among other things, I made brief mentions of the work of Cantwell and her IMBRA; Bill O'Reilly's recent cave-in to the femagogues; and the anti-MOB, Third-Wave work of GW's Enrolled-Resident-Lurker-Feminist, Felicity.  

After all, we are soon to be highlighted on UK television...

I Googled this and, funny enough, got redirected right back to the archives of GW (duh!), where I read that someone is apparently working on a documentary.  

First I'd heard of it.  

Good for them blokes.

Offline Bob_S

• Global Moderator
  • Spouse's Country: Japan
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2006, 02:34:25 PM »
After all, we are soon to be highlighted on UK television - might as well look for American radio to join in the swing.
Gah! :shock: Are you sure that is wise?  I know that generally all publicity is good publicity, but are you sure you want to get the attention of a potential horde or ball-busting carpet-licking hairy-legged trolls? :?  They're so damn annoying the way they clutter up boards with their big ol' stinky turds.
...a wife should be always a reasonable and agreeable companion, because she cannot always be young.
- "Gulliver's Travels" by Jonathan Swift

Offline Dan

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2006, 03:10:42 PM »
Quote from: Bob_S
Gah! :shock: Are you sure that is wise?  I know that generally all publicity is good publicity, but are you sure you want to get the attention of a potential horde or ball-busting carpet-licking hairy-legged trolls? :?  They're so damn annoying the way they clutter up boards with their big ol' stinky turds.

Bob - it makes no difference. They have already discovered us - and they already monitor the board - and they have already drawn up their battle plans. To my way of thinking - we may as well deal with it head-on. I don't plan to go seeking out confrontation - but I think it has already been laid on our doorstep (IMBRA), and we may as well acknowledge and embrace the fact that we are in the midst of it - like it or not.

I don't mean to make a crusade out of it - or anything like that, but if we can have some fun poking their bigotry back in their faces - why not?

- Dan

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5876
Latest: ponttfsch
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 133129
Total Topics: 7864