It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: How to become an expat??  (Read 568 times)

Offline Rschnb67

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: None (yet)
How to become an expat??
« on: April 04, 2016, 02:25:48 AM »
I was wondering how people do this?
I have a family and kids in college here so I will be doing this anytime soon but it's something that's always crossed my mind.
I'm sure everybody at one point or another has dreamed of living in a nice quiet place where the women and food are beautiful and the weather is perfect
I know a lot of you have done this how do you do this and keep your American citizenship and your social security benefits that you've worked so hard for your whole life nobody wants to give that up
Also I'm sure everybody wants to come back to access the hospitals here but what are the rules how often do you have to come back and for how long
This is totally just a hypothetical situation I'm just curious I want to know how it's done what is the best safest country to live I'm sure everybody has their own opinions
Like I said I'm just wondering how to do it I don't have any plans and probably never will so please keep the comments away from me personally   I'm sure a lot of other guys would love to hear these tips

Offline buencamino3

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: Resident
Re: How to become an expat??
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2016, 06:55:38 AM »
In the case of moving to Colombia you get a resident visa. You do not lose your US citizenship. Medical facilities are excellent. No need to return to US for medical issues. I have always said it's important to be able pursue your hobbies/interests in your new country. You will enjoy yourself more fully if you make a hard core effort to learn Spanish. I would say overall moving to Colombia (for example) is easy.
Hermosamente feliz

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
  • Spouse's Country: The Philippines
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2016, 07:22:34 AM »
I would imagine most people keep a mail address in their native country, at least a mail box rented at a US Post Office to be monitored by someone they trust, and have any bills or other statements drafted or otherwise handled electronically. Most banks prefer electronic banking statements, interaction, but I am leery of online banking, especially using Windows based computers.

More USA insurance companies are accepting and covering overseas medical care, realizing how cheap it is to do so. People get knee and hip replacements, to name but two procedures, covered by USA insurance more often these days.

Not sure how you sign of on your annual taxes, I thought you had to, but that to is done at home and by tax preparers electronically.

If you keep a car, registration is usually an annual thing.

Insurances on homes, vehicles, even on your self may need your signature or some sort of attention.

Some people give others they absolutely trust 'power of attorney' but I know one guy who did so using his daughter and she cleaned him out financially, so be careful there..
Whether you think you can or think you can't--you're right!

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2016, 07:22:34 AM »

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5876
Latest: ponttfsch
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats