It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: Dennis Levy  (Read 47472 times)

Offline fathertime

• Spouse's Country: Colombia
  • Trips: > 10
Re: Dennis Levy
« Reply #100 on: August 21, 2012, 09:54:13 PM »
Thanks Benjio, but when I meet a guy who wants to get 'the feel' for what it's like 'down there' I suggest that they read back on YOUR posts and for a more Colombia specific study, also on Dennis's posts. You have been to a good number of places, speak the language and seem to blend in well.  You are far, far from the more typical guy here--the guy who might go 1 to 3 times, get a bride, and bring her back. You've seen the good the bad and the ugly and the highs and lows of societal levels down there. You express yourself so well, but yet you never have a 'Oh--I've seen it ALL" kind of attitude--none of the holier than though, I'm infalliable stuff some folks project. When I see you write something like:

Nobody is like that here, you are expelling gas and a shameless brownose as usual robertangle.  :D

Statements like that just add value to your stock here. I really don't like the word 'envy' but I guess had that for a while in a sense with Dennis and yea, I read about your travels and think how it'd be great to be employed and working while having some time off there, knowing how to speak the language, making money and seeing all the places you see. I guess it's normal to an extent. I have a pretty good, stable situation going with a wonderful woman that I don't want to throw away, but it's probably human nature to sometimes want to fly to a place like Brazil or Colombia and be single again. I'd like to have a new Porsche Turbo S too, for that matter!--although that's obviously different than relationships, marital fidelity and travel!

I would say this is a normal feeling...but I don't know many who get their cake and eat it too.  There is always a hidden cost, so on the whole being in a truly good marriage is still the best state to be in....at least in my opinion.  I am venturing it also has the greatest degree of difficulty, which is probably why a lot of guys decide to go the other route...if you know what I mean.

Fathertime!   
09/08 saw morena goddess on Jamie's website
09/08Began writing/webcamming future wife
10/08Visited BAQ to meet future wife
12/08 Visited a second time and got engaged
01/09 Visa Paperwork done(williamIII)
02/09quickvisit BAQ
08/09Wife arrives
09/09Got married
11/10 son born

Offline bigstew33

« Reply #101 on: August 26, 2012, 06:51:44 PM »
Sad to this this today.  I was one of the people that first helped influence his decision to go to Colombia in the first place.  Back in 2007 I talked to him a couple times on the phone.  each time was a really long conversation.  First time while I was still in the USA. Another time  was while I was at LLM.  He asked a lot of questions about how I felt about being there, and all of my experiences I had before my trip in 2007.  He eventually went and even later worked a short time for LLM.  I chatted a few times with him on the internet.  I can tell you much of what Cherub said in his long write up was true.  I didn't know about him being a Mormon but he did tell me his past life was not a happy time for him.  But he was so much happier travelling around Colombia and meeting many women.  He told me also his first meets were usually for coffee and then see if there was chemistry.  I think one of the last times I talked to him he was enrolled in a university and was using that to stay longer in Colombia.  I didn't agree with everything he said but he was a very nice guy.  He offered advice and told me he would even help me out if I ever returned there.  So this happened several months ago and I am now just learning about it.  I just don't visit this site much any more because in the past there was so much fighting and so many trolls that I just left.  Yes I did take part in some of those things and I can say I am not happy with myself about it.  I hope you all find a little peicee of heaven in what you are searching for, and for the ones that have found happiness hang on to it.  RIP Dennis.    Peace to everyone else

Offline AndyLee

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #102 on: August 28, 2012, 09:16:51 AM »
Sad to this this today.  I was one of the people that first helped influence his decision to go to Colombia in the first place.  Back in 2007 I talked to him a couple times on the phone.  each time was a really long conversation.  First time while I was still in the USA. Another time  was while I was at LLM.  He asked a lot of questions about how I felt about being there, and all of my experiences I had before my trip in 2007.  He eventually went and even later worked a short time for LLM.  I chatted a few times with him on the internet.  I can tell you much of what Cherub said in his long write up was true.  I didn't know about him being a Mormon but he did tell me his past life was not a happy time for him.  But he was so much happier travelling around Colombia and meeting many women.  He told me also his first meets were usually for coffee and then see if there was chemistry.  I think one of the last times I talked to him he was enrolled in a university and was using that to stay longer in Colombia.  I didn't agree with everything he said but he was a very nice guy.  He offered advice and told me he would even help me out if I ever returned there.  So this happened several months ago and I am now just learning about it.  I just don't visit this site much any more because in the past there was so much fighting and so many trolls that I just left.  Yes I did take part in some of those things and I can say I am not happy with myself about it.  I hope you all find a little peicee of heaven in what you are searching for, and for the ones that have found happiness hang on to it.  RIP Dennis.    Peace to everyone else

I agree with bigstew about Dennis and the man he was, and about Cherub's writeup and about the Forum being an unfriendly place to hang out.

As part of the fall out from the battles I've been placed on some kind of half-banned status.....for the past year or so every time I log in to P-L the server from where I am posting gets banned. I'm guessing half the Internet cafes in Colombia are now banned from P-L. I don't know if this is directed at me personally or if it is directed at other former members of P-L. At any rate, just to set the record straight, I'm still in Colombia and still living the life I always dreamed.

I'm sad there isn't any good news from Medellin about Dennis' killers being caught. Here's a link to a police sketch of two of the three killers. There is also a note that in 5 years 25 gringos have been killed in Medellin and only 3 of the murderers have ever gone to trial. Very typical of law enforcement in Colombia, sad but true.
http://www.elcolombiano.com/BancoConocimiento/E/el_rostro_de_los_dos_asesinos_del_extranjero_levy/el_rostro_de_los_dos_asesinos_del_extranjero_levy.asp
Here's a really bad translation of part of the article

Begin quote
Eight of the victims were traveling quite often foreign to Colombia, 12 were permanent residents of the metropolitan area and five died as casual tourists.

suspects
According to court officials, as to the motives for the murders of the 25 foreign initial hypotheses suggest that thefts occurred in eight, seven are due to settling of scores, one stray bullet and nine indeterminate
end quote

I want to also add that Dennis did tell me more than once that he had been a Mormon in the US. Dennis also told me that he had been guilty of being the "most arrogant bishop they every had". So I can vouch for that part of Cherub's story, and I agree with most of the rest of that story because it jives with the Dennis that I met in person several times and who I talked to on the phone and by email and chat.

Anyway, I saw this post from bigstew and wanted to add my thoughts to his. Take care everyone and I'll talk to you again sometime when I find another Internet café that's not banned from P-L

« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 09:18:59 AM by AndyLee »
If you are unhappy change something. Quit your job. Move. Leave your miserable relationship. Stop making excuses. You are in control.

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #102 on: August 28, 2012, 09:16:51 AM »

Offline whitey

« Reply #103 on: August 28, 2012, 06:53:27 PM »
Good to see you posting again Andy, and thanks for the link ... sad that they probably won't catch the people who did this.

The Dennis I knew was the same as you, bigstew, and cherub described.  Although I doubt I knew him as well, we did meet up in person once.

Hope things are going well with you in Colombia.  Has what happened to Dennis changed your habits or viewpoint on Colombia at all?
Hablo espanolo mucho bieno!

Offline V_Man

• Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #104 on: October 01, 2012, 11:21:12 PM »
Those drawings could be half the young men and women in Colombia.

Offline OrlandoGringo

« Reply #105 on: November 16, 2012, 10:29:20 AM »
It's been quite some time since I've checked in here.  In any event, I am saddened by this news.  I never met Denis in person but considered him a distant friend.  I just said a prayer directed toward Denis telling him that I know he's in paradise and that I'll get to meet him there one day, as will all of us.  Denis, see you later!

Offline Thebatman

« Reply #106 on: February 14, 2013, 05:41:19 PM »
I knew Dennis from the boards and spoke by phone a few times with him about our experiences in bogota. We compared notes about a girl we both dated from Nelson's agency. In fact he worked for Nelson for a while selling their service, but it ended poorly. Anyway I always thought he was a good guy. Rip Dennis sad to hear this news. :'(

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
  • Spouse's Country: The Philippines
« Reply #107 on: February 14, 2013, 09:07:20 PM »
I knew Dennis from the boards and spoke by phone a few times with him about our experiences in bogota. We compared notes about a girl we both dated from Nelson's agency. In fact he worked for Nelson for a while selling their service, but it ended poorly. Anyway I always thought he was a good guy. Rip Dennis sad to hear this news. :'(

Yea--Dennis was a good guy who'd help almost anyone. He and I could talk about almost anything. Both coming out of the Bronx orginally and then moving all over, we had some amazing parallels, despite being very different in other ways. Even though I never really had the hots for South America, I thought about getting down there one day and seeing it through his eyes and checking out the scenery in general. Guys like Dennis, Andy Lee and Whitey (who still does) made it all seem interesting--made it come alive as more than a multi dimensional 'bird hunting expedition'.
Too bad with Dennis gone, the guys who had such fun sniping at him have to double up on Zon nowadays to get their jollies.... ::)
Whether you think you can or think you can't--you're right!

Offline Ray

• Spouse's Country: The Philippines
« Reply #108 on: February 15, 2013, 02:12:33 PM »

Too bad with Dennis gone, the guys who had such fun sniping at him have to double up on Zon nowadays to get their jollies.... ::)

Here we go again...

Robert, I know this is how YOU get YOUR jollies...by making unsolicited and unwarranted snide remarks and petty insults in an inappropriate place where you only screw up another thread.

May I suggest that you at least have a little respect for the deceased and go vent your personal hatred in a new thread in the flame room?

Thanks...

Ray

Offline bcc_1_2

• Spouse's Country: Other Latin America
  • Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #109 on: February 15, 2013, 09:37:56 PM »
I've just read bits and pieces of this thread. I'm not going to speculate because I was not there. But when I went to Cali Colombia I took a risk. We all do. You can compare it to rough areas of the USA if you want... but compared to were I am from it was a risk. There are lots of shootings going down on the south side of chicago but there is serious risk to travel in Colombia.
I felt in Colombia that something bad would eventually happen to me if I was there full-time. Looking back after you settle down with a girl... Latin America doesn't look all that great. I am far less tolerant and open minded to the differences. Where I live is better & much safer.
This type of situation really makes you feel for the victim and his family & friends... but also it serves as a reminder... that we are gringos... we stand out... we are in a poor country... and many think we are loaded,
Retiring in Tela, Honduras is 14,600 days (haha)

Offline fathertime

« Reply #110 on: February 17, 2013, 07:56:54 PM »

Here we go again...

Robert, I know this is how YOU get YOUR jollies...by making unsolicited and unwarranted snide remarks and petty insults in an inappropriate place where you only screw up another thread.

May I suggest that you at least have a little respect for the deceased and go vent your personal hatred in a new thread in the flame room?

Thanks...

Ray
Typical robertanger! It is nice to know that I’ve stayed at the forefront of his thoughts for so long, but like Ray said, this is Dennis' thread not more of your romper-room!
Fathertime!
09/08 saw morena goddess on Jamie's website
09/08Began writing/webcamming future wife
10/08Visited BAQ to meet future wife
12/08 Visited a second time and got engaged
01/09 Visa Paperwork done(williamIII)
02/09quickvisit BAQ
08/09Wife arrives
09/09Got married
11/10 son born

Offline Zon

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #111 on: April 12, 2013, 09:09:46 PM »
I am in a retrospective mood.   

Dennis was a poster here I reached out to 7 years ago.  Within minutes, I was on the phone with a very encouraging, helpful man.   He helped show and inspire people to that which inspired him.   

He traveled and explored and loved.   I am happy for him - really - and I wish more men could understand what Dennis know and found and lived.  He lived more in one week than many men live in years. I do not feel sorry for him, but the world is less without him. He was a good man.

Offline whitey

« Reply #112 on: April 13, 2013, 08:29:05 AM »
I always enjoyed Dennis' posts and hearing his perspectives and adventures ... very unique, especially for a guy his age.  Met him once over coffee (no he didn't put the moves on me ... jajaja) in Quilla.  I still think of him from time to time, and wish there would be some justice for the people who murdered him and took him away from his wife and family.

Also a cautionary tale that you can speak the language well, know the culture, take the proper precautions ... and still chit happens in Colombia ...
Hablo espanolo mucho bieno!

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #112 on: April 13, 2013, 08:29:05 AM »

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5871
Latest: ponttbryr
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0