It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: Dangers in foreign travel  (Read 5597 times)

Offline bundy_138

• Latinas can be addictive....trust me!
Dangers in foreign travel
« on: September 19, 2007, 10:39:07 AM »
I am sure that everyone is aware of the dangers you may encounter while traveling.  I normally wouldn't bring this up, but my novia has been really worried.

In the last few weeks, several American tourist have been assaulted by taxi drivers and their accomplices.  The same scam, driver takes your destination, stops for a second, another guy jumps in the cab with a knife or gun and brings you to an ATM and demands money.  Well, recently, the robbers are kicking the crap out of the American tourist and then sexually assaulting his woman.  This has happend twice in the last week.

My novia is really upset by this and she is worried about my upcoming trip to Cali.  She never gets this way, but the sexual assaults have struck a never with her.  She said it is happening right at dusk and throughout the night.

My suggestions for Cali, do not hail a taxi off the street.  Call the taxi company and request a cab.  They give you a reference number that the driver needs.  Try not to travel to much after dark, stay close to the areas that are heavily guarded (like chipechape mall) and don't stand out like you are typical, fanny-pack wearing tourist.  Most of the assaults have been in the Ave sexta area.   

Just an alert to keep anyone traveling to Cali in the next few months.

Bundy
If you don't take care of your woman, someone else will.  (Bundy)

Offline daytrader

• ** mui feliz **
    • Mechanical Trader
Re: Dangers in foreign travel
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2007, 11:50:44 AM »
How much is your life worth?  Plan your trip and your daily activities in advance, hire a driver/translator(if needed) before you even land in Colombia.  The driver picks you up and takes you where ever you need to go daily;  every once in a while he won't be able to handle the return trip or a spur of the moment trip, in that case take Bundy's advice. 

It's kinda expensive but how much is your life worth.  IMO, don't be cheap, gringos. 

DayTrader
Jessep: You want answers?
Kaffee (Tom Cruise): I think I'm entitled to them.
Jessep: You want answers?
Kaffee: I want the truth!
Jessep: You can't handle the truth!

Offline Kiltboy1

• She Loves What's Under The Kilt
  • Spouse's Country: Other Latin America
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2007, 11:55:33 AM »
For what its worth, this has been happening in cali for years, Almost every trip I took there you would hear of this at least once. Maybe things are getting worse there, I do not know, but it happens all the time so most def do not take a taxi off the street but call one with 4444 or 5555 .

KB
She Loves What's Under The Kilt !

Viva Ecuador !

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2007, 11:55:33 AM »

Offline bundy_138

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2007, 12:06:44 PM »
I'll be the first to admit that I am very guilty about hailing taxis off the street in Cali.  I have do it so often I couldn't begin to count.  I always hire a private driver when going to and from the airport, especially when your plane gets in late.  I have always heard that the taxis at the airport are the worst and I get sort of "freaked out" being out in the middle of nowhere.  (those of you that have been to the Cali airport know what I'm talking about).

I know the whole discussion has been here about safety in Colombia, but the whole sexual assault aspect puts things in a new perspective.  Sex crimes are the worst and I hope those sickos get what they deserve!  It's just awful to think about, especially if it were to happen to someone you love.

Bundy

Offline mudd

• Commercial Member
  • Spouse's Country: No Selection
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2007, 02:14:51 PM »
this started happening in Medellin also,probably not as much as Cali, but it is going on,i know of two people it happened too. and most girls i know, would never hail a taxi. they either take a bus,the trolley,  call a friend they know who is a taxi driver, who they have known for years, or they don't go. gringos just think, " hey , I'm an American, nothing will happen to me", yeah right!!!!

Offline Dan Las Vegas

• Spouse's Country: Colombia
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2007, 08:58:11 PM »
this is also happening in Medellin  but I am not sure if it occurs as frequently as it appears to be happening in Cali. My novia will never take a taxi off the street, she always calls for one. She also gets very nervous when a motorcycle is anywhere near the taxi.

Offline fathertime

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2007, 09:21:51 PM »
I'll be the first to admit that I am very guilty about hailing taxis off the street in Cali.  I have do it so often I couldn't begin to count.  I always hire a private driver when going to and from the airport, especially when your plane gets in late.  I have always heard that the taxis at the airport are the worst and I get sort of "freaked out" being out in the middle of nowhere.  (those of you that have been to the Cali airport know what I'm talking about).
Bundy

Thanks for the warning again.  It is important to hear these from time to time.  On my recent trip to Cali, I once again hailed a taxi off the street again with my lady, like a dumbass.  I do minimize doing this, but still sometimes it does happen.  :( 

Fathertime!
09/08 saw morena goddess on Jamie's website
09/08Began writing/webcamming future wife
10/08Visited BAQ to meet future wife
12/08 Visited a second time and got engaged
01/09 Visa Paperwork done(williamIII)
02/09quickvisit BAQ
08/09Wife arrives
09/09Got married
11/10 son born

Offline rpcv

• Opted-Out
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2007, 08:17:38 AM »
My suggestions for Cali, do not hail a taxi off the street.  Call the taxi company and request a cab.  

Excellent advice! I don't envision going back to Cali but I know that from the first trip I took there a year ago, things seemed to have gotten more dangerous. More begging, shady characters near some of the hotels, etc. That's just my observation about the place.

If you need a reliable driver that speaks English in Cali, is punctual, and has his own car, send me a PM. I highly recommended him and others on this board (such as Daytrader) have used his services too.

Offline soltero

• Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2007, 09:56:23 AM »
Thanks for the warning again.  It is important to hear these from time to time.  On my recent trip to Cali, I once again hailed a taxi off the street again with my lady, like a dumbass.  I do minimize doing this, but still sometimes it does happen.  :( 

Fathertime!

FT, you aren't a little guy, so I doubt anyone is going to take a chance on interrupting your day with any mischief, but it IS better to be safe than sorry!  ;D
Live as if you will die tomorrow, Plan as if you will live forever...

Offline Calipro

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2007, 01:22:48 PM »
I know of two guys in the past few years that were given the ATM tour of Cali at gun point.

Both of them hailed cabs off of Avenida Stext.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. There is no reason in the world to be hanging out on avenida sexta at night. It's a [snip] hole.

There are just too many nice places in Cali to end up going to Ave. Sexta.

Offline jamesjams

• Probie
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2007, 07:48:57 AM »
Guys read the internet news if you plan to travel to Colombia. There is a turf war going on in Cali and you need to be really cautious! There are safer places in Colombia right now.

Offline JamesDonut

• Spouse's Country: The Philippines
  • Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2007, 07:01:04 AM »
What about car rental in Colombia?  I've never heard that mentioned before.  And what is on Ave. Sexta that would attract people?
Revel In the Past, Party In the Present, Save Donuts for the Future.

Offline fathertime

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2007, 12:05:25 PM »
What about car rental in Colombia?  I've never heard that mentioned before.  And what is on Ave. Sexta that would attract people?

I would never consider renting a car in Cali. I don't drive like they do, I'd probably create a traffic accident, and be pick-pocketed while bleeding & incapacitated. :-\

Fathertime!
09/08 saw morena goddess on Jamie's website
09/08Began writing/webcamming future wife
10/08Visited BAQ to meet future wife
12/08 Visited a second time and got engaged
01/09 Visa Paperwork done(williamIII)
02/09quickvisit BAQ
08/09Wife arrives
09/09Got married
11/10 son born

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2007, 12:05:25 PM »

Offline bundy_138

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2007, 05:37:08 PM »
Well, depends on who you ask.  Ask me, and I'll tell ya' Ave. Sexta is the spot for discos and restaurants.  Ask my buddy, and he will tell you thats where the whores and drugs are.  Nothing but trouble there after dark if you ask me.  I normally go during the day but steer clear after dark.

Bundy 

Offline rpcv

• Opted-Out
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2007, 10:59:44 AM »

I would highly advise against renting a car in Cali. If you are adventurous, go for it but you would be better off just paying a good interpreter/driver instead.

Ave. Sexta has some cheap places to eat and a few nightclubs but I think part of the attraction is that it is sort of like main street in a city. Also, Granada which is a good area of the city and has lots of great restaurants is walking distance too. So thus you find alot of people hanging around, hoping to get some $$, etc.

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5871
Latest: ponttbryr
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 133128
Total Topics: 7864
Most Online Today: 300