It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: Re/ "evidence of a good faith marriage"  (Read 2566 times)

Offline no comment

Re/ "evidence of a good faith marriage"
« on: January 24, 2014, 01:05:08 PM »
My wife from Peru and I received a Request for Evidence from the Dept. of Homeland Security after filing for removal of conditional status and going through biometrics. The request is for "evidence of good faith marriage." We had originally submitted a copy of a Federal tax return (married filing jointly), a statement from the gas/electric company with both our names and a document showing her as beneficiary of my retirement account. Now they want more "evidence." They have a list of suggestions for further documentation but most don't apply. We didn't take out any loans, haven't had children, she didn't get a driver's license, we don't share a mortgageā€¦.

There is no mention in the government's correspondence of photographic evidence being accepted. Photos documenting a history together for the time in this country. Are photos used or accepted as "evidence" of a good faith marriage?

Offline Ray

• Spouse's Country: The Philippines
  • Trips: > 10
Re: Re/ "evidence of a good faith marriage"
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 01:31:52 PM »
I don't think photos would help much, but they couldn't hurt.

You need to submit evidence that shows you two are living together as man and wife.

Get two affidavit-type letters from two neighbors or close family friends who can attest to the fact that you are both living together as a couple. They should know you both fairly well for the time she has been here and they should have visited you in your home. Each letter should include full name, address, daytime phone, SSN, date of birth, and place of birth of author.

Joint bank accounts are good evidence. Copies of statements or checks showing both names. If you don't have any joint accounts, open some.

Photocopies of two credit cards showing that you have a joint credit account. Loan documents are good also.

Photocopies of any ID or school records she might have to show that her address and yours are the same.

Evidence of any joint insurance coverage, medical or dental.

A baby would be the best evidence. If none yet, get busy!   ;)

Ray

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 02:20:15 PM »
I don't think photos would help much, but they couldn't hurt.

You need to submit evidence that shows you two are living together as man and wife.

Get two affidavit-type letters from two neighbors or close family friends who can attest to the fact that you are both living together as a couple. They should know you both fairly well for the time she has been here and they should have visited you in your home. Each letter should include full name, address, daytime phone, SSN, date of birth, and place of birth of author.

Joint bank accounts are good evidence. Copies of statements or checks showing both names. If you don't have any joint accounts, open some.

Photocopies of two credit cards showing that you have a joint credit account. Loan documents are good also.

Photocopies of any ID or school records she might have to show that her address and yours are the same.

Evidence of any joint insurance coverage, medical or dental.

A baby would be the best evidence. If none yet, get busy!   ;)

Ray

Hadn't heard of the affidavit letters before, but it sounds like a good idea--can't hurt. We didn't use that and with a substantial age difference, I'd have thought I'd face extra scrutiny at every step, but instead, from the embassy interview on to moving forward with USCIS paperwork stateside, things went very smooth. My wife is very organized and kept meticulous records in an accordion type folder, with color coded tagged labels--organization really does help the process. That includes keeping track of upcoming due dates for things like adjustment of status, etc.,--I am amazed at how many people space out and forget things like biometric appointments. Keep a calendar on the wall and a place for incoming and outgoing mail pertaining to all of this stuff.

Besides the above, utility bills that have both your names is a good indicator. I'd recommend waiting a while before putting the house in both your names if you're thinking of that, especially if you have a lot equity tied up in it, but I bet they'd really give you the green light if they saw she had half the house by law.
Whether you think you can or think you can't--you're right!

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 02:20:15 PM »

Offline no comment

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2014, 08:08:25 PM »
Thanks for the replies.  I added the wife to my checking account and sent in another document which shows her as a beneficiary of another retirement account,  plus a copy of a state tax return.  Today we received a letter of approval and the updated green card is in the mail.

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2014, 07:39:00 AM »
That's great. When she (if that's in the plan) starts working, gets US citizenship and starts getting mail in her name--especially a credit card with HER name on it, she'll really start to think 'Wow, I really am here, I really am a PART of the USA! Is she learning to drive? That's something few women do back home.
Whether you think you can or think you can't--you're right!

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5871
Latest: ponttbryr
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 133128
Total Topics: 7864
Most Online Today: 467