It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: The I-751 Lifting of Conditions, Is this necessary?  (Read 6403 times)

Offline Researcher

• The Perfect Match!
  • Spouse's Country: Colombia
  • Trips: > 10
The I-751 Lifting of Conditions, Is this necessary?
« on: February 22, 2011, 07:07:30 PM »

Of course it's necessary if you want your spouse to continue to legally reside here in the US. But after completing and mailing off the I-751, the thought has crossed my mind: Is this really necessary? I mean, my wife and I have jumped through all the hoops so far and now another one? More forms, more copies and proof, more photos and another fee! Actually it's not as bad as it sounds. From what I have read, at this stage of the game the USCIS only wants confirmation that we have been living together and that everything is legit. Since everything is legit with us, I donut have a problem with it. So, today I sent off the 3 page form, copies of proof, photos and a check for $ 590. We 'll be waiting for the notice of receipt that will be good for one year, along with my wife's green card.

After dealing with the USCIS before I kinda know what to expect and so far I feel really good about what we submitted. So, I really don't have a problem with it, but what do you guys think?

Researcher
Every man has his own courage, and is betrayed because he seeks in himself the courage of other persons. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Ray

• Spouse's Country: The Philippines
Re: The I-751 Lifting of Conditions, Is this necessary?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 03:52:08 PM »

What do we think about what? If the Removal of Conditions is just a waste of time and treasure?

I can't think of another efficient way for the government to weed out the scam marriages where it was all about cheating the immigration system. And yes, there are plenty of phony scam marriages out there.

Prove that you are a legit couple after 2 years and be done with the immigration process.

The I-751 and the associated fees can be avoided by marrying overseas and then waiting 2 years before she comes over.

Ray

Offline william3rd

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 05:27:30 PM »

Of course it's necessary if you want your spouse to continue to legally reside here in the US. But after completing and mailing off the I-751, the thought has crossed my mind: Is this really necessary? I mean, my wife and I have jumped through all the hoops so far and now another one? More forms, more copies and proof, more photos and another fee! Actually it's not as bad as it sounds. From what I have read, at this stage of the game the USCIS only wants confirmation that we have been living together and that everything is legit. Since everything is legit with us, I donut have a problem with it. So, today I sent off the 3 page form, copies of proof, photos and a check for $ 590. We 'll be waiting for the notice of receipt that will be good for one year, along with my wife's green card.

After dealing with the USCIS before I kinda know what to expect and so far I feel really good about what we submitted. So, I really don't have a problem with it, but what do you guys think?

Researcher

You would rather have your wife placed into immigration removal proceedings for your failure to file for the I751?  You can retain me but it will cost a lot more than $590  ;D
Wild Bill Livingston, Esq.

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 05:27:30 PM »

Offline Researcher

• The Perfect Match!
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 05:50:27 PM »

Just to clarify, I am asking  for opinions on the process.

Researcher
Every man has his own courage, and is betrayed because he seeks in himself the courage of other persons. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline william3rd

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 06:16:58 PM »
It must be filed within the 90 days prior to the second anniversary of the initial grant of residency. It can be late BUT. . . .  the alien can be placed into removal proceedings at any time after the expiration. This is out of the old marriage fraud act. It allows the government one last shot at the couple.

Offline william3rd

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 06:43:06 PM »
Before the conditional residency requirement-which only applies to the marriage to a US citizen which is less than 2 years old, there was one interview, then a ten year card, with no conditions. The area was fraught with abuse. Whether we like it or not, it is the law.

Offline Researcher

• The Perfect Match!
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 07:46:22 PM »

I really don't mind it that much. Once I got used to putting together these packages for the USCIS and keeping documents it became easier.
   Since I have nothing to hide I really don't mind providing proof of relationship or answering any question the USCIS wants to ask.

Researcher
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 07:48:19 PM by Researcher »

Offline utopiacowboy

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2011, 08:33:38 PM »
I'm wondering if even the USCIS sees a lot of I-751s as a waste of time. Many times, as with us, the petition is approved without an interview.

Offline Woody

• Spouse's Country: Other Latin America
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2011, 09:16:42 PM »
I'm wondering if even the USCIS sees a lot of I-751s as a waste of time. Many times, as with us, the petition is approved without an interview.

It is still a nice revenue stream for minimal work.

Offline william3rd

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2011, 06:49:52 AM »
It wasnt so very long ago that the initial AOS process in most INS offices was over two years by itself. Nobody had to file the 751 and everyone got ten year cards. If I recall, there were a couple of offices that took three years to complete an AOS. . .

Offline Researcher

• The Perfect Match!
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2011, 01:41:42 PM »

Well, the check cleared last week and we have received the notice of receipt.  Looks like the processing time is at 6 months so it will be "wait and see" time.

Researcher

Offline Researcher

• The Perfect Match!
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2011, 08:45:39 AM »

Things are progressing. We have the biometrics appointment Friday.Of course we have received the letter of receipt. In the letter it stated to send copies of tax returns, anything showing joint tenants,joint accounts of any kind.We sent alot more than that so I think we're good. I did read on visajourney that sending photos was OK but they were looking more for documentation to show co mingling of finances. We had plenty of that.

Researcher

Offline fathertime

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2011, 10:18:47 AM »

Things are progressing. We have the biometrics appointment Friday.Of course we have received the letter of receipt. In the letter it stated to send copies of tax returns, anything showing joint tenants,joint accounts of any kind.We sent alot more than that so I think we're good. I did read on visajourney that sending photos was OK but they were looking more for documentation to show co mingling of finances. We had plenty of that.

Researcher
yoyo Researcher!

My impression was that you have been married quite a few years. I thought this 751 crapola was to be done after just 2 years.  I ask because I've got this item on my radar screen although it is still a little ways off. 

For our first interview last year, I created a few areas where we had bank accounts togetherr.  We closed them because they were done simply  for show. 
as is still the case everything is in my name and about the only thing in both of our names is our child!  hopefully that is enough!

Fathertime! 
09/08 saw morena goddess on Jamie's website
09/08Began writing/webcamming future wife
10/08Visited BAQ to meet future wife
12/08 Visited a second time and got engaged
01/09 Visa Paperwork done(williamIII)
02/09quickvisit BAQ
08/09Wife arrives
09/09Got married
11/10 son born

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2011, 10:18:47 AM »

Offline Researcher

• The Perfect Match!
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2011, 10:40:04 AM »

FT, We were married in Colombia and then did the visa. It was 3 years last August that we were married.

Researcher

Offline Researcher

• The Perfect Match!
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2011, 11:37:46 AM »
yoyo Researcher!

My impression was that you have been married quite a few years. I thought this 751 crapola was to be done after just 2 years.  I ask because I've got this item on my radar screen although it is still a little ways off. 

For our first interview last year, I created a few areas where we had bank accounts togetherr.  We closed them because they were done simply  for show. 
as is still the case everything is in my name and about the only thing in both of our names is our child!  hopefully that is enough!

Fathertime! 

I would think that a copy of the birth certificate would carry alot of weight.The joint tax returns also. I didn't include many photos but I did organize this package very well. In the cover letter I made a list of everything that was included. We have a few joint credit cards and 2 cars that are in both our names since I was trying to establish a good credit history for my wife. So far her credit score is excellent.

Researcher

Offline Researcher

• The Perfect Match!
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2011, 02:33:42 AM »

Just wanted to update.We received a message saying my wife's green card production has been ordered! It took approximately 6 months from date of receipt.

Researcher

Offline Researcher

• The Perfect Match!
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2011, 08:20:51 AM »

Update on the update: My wife received her 10 year green card yesterday.This thing has many features that are probably to guard against counterfeiting. Anyway, I'm glad that it's finished.

Researcher

Offline no comment

« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2011, 10:55:31 PM »
I think Woody hit the nail with his reply.  It creates jobs for bureaucrats, and for that amount of money their pay & benefits must be good.  My wife has been here just over a week and I haven't gotten around to reading up on the next steps to take, or the next hoops to jump through. 

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5876
Latest: ponttfsch
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 133130
Total Topics: 7864
Most Online Today: 158