It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: World Cup Mania  (Read 3959 times)

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
  • Spouse's Country: The Philippines
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Whether you think you can or think you can't--you're right!

Offline Calipro

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: None (yet)
Re: World Cup Mania
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2018, 08:49:23 PM »
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/17/world/americas/mexico-soccer-world-cup.html?action=click&module=MoreInSection&pgtype=Article&region=Footer&contentCollection=Americas

Intense already...

Reminds me of the time I woke up one Sunday morning in Cali and walked out on my balcony to look at the quiet city below
When all of an sudden I hear this low rumbling roar coming from every direction
It actually scared me for a second because I didn’t know what was happening

But I finally figured out they were screaming gooooal

Offline benjio

• Spouse's Country: Brazil
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2018, 08:58:12 AM »
I love every minute of it!!!!

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2018, 08:58:12 AM »

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2018, 09:43:23 AM »
I love every minute of it!!!!

There's that 'anything can happen' (and probably will) sort of feeling. When there's a real possibility that a small, impoverished nation can win it all,  it just makes it all the more interesting.

Then again, being born in NYC, that didn't stop me from rooting for Boston against the Yanks, when they finally got a shot in baseball's World Series---just like the Cubs, I like to pull for the underdog sometimes.

And with the USA not even making entry qualifications to play in this year's World Cup and the USA hosting it here eight years from now, the USA really needs to work on their "A' game, as it'd be long shame if we didn't make the cut while hosting the whole shooting match.

I don't think anyone could feel as bad as host Brazil did after Germany thoroughly wiped them out on their own turf, but it'd be real sad all the same.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 09:40:51 PM by robert angel »

Offline pachris

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2018, 11:08:52 PM »
Our kids are enjoying it here in Panama.  Their school basically called an audible and Monday they were allowed to watch the game in school, wearing blue jeans and red shirts to support the team.  Not sure they understand that in the US they would not likely be able to do that. :)  Though I do recall watching a shuttle launch many years ago in elementary school.
I'll say the Panamanians are very excited to be in the World Cup and I can't blame them.  It's a big deal for a small country who has never been!

Offline braziliangirl

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2018, 06:31:05 AM »
And with the USA not even making entry qualifications to play in this year's World Cup and the USA hosting it here eight years from now, the USA really needs to work on their "A' game, as it'd be long shame if we didn't make the cut while hosting the whole shooting match.

Don't worry! The hosts are automatically qualified.

I don't think anyone could feel as bad as host Brazil did after Germany thoroughly wiped them out on their own turf, but it'd be real sad all the same.

It happened with Uruguai the other time when we hosted the word cup (1950) too. We lost at the final, which happened at Maracanã.  :'(

Offline utopiacowboy

• Spouse's Country: Colombia
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2018, 12:49:12 PM »
The only positive thing about the 2026 World Cup is the fact that the Estadio Azteca in Mexico City, the greatest soccer stadium in the world, will become the only stadium to have hosted matches from three different world cups.

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2018, 01:24:06 PM »

Don't worry! The hosts are automatically qualified.

It happened with Uruguai the other time when we hosted the word cup (1950) too. We lost at the final, which happened at Maracanã.  :'(

Heyyyyyyy, Brazilliangirl!!!!

Yes, but what amazes me, is that although it's been a real long time since they've won it all, Uruguay has done so before (the first FIFA cup in 1930, then again, as you said in 1950--against eeek!---Brazil) and  that Uruguay only has today, a population of less than 3.5 million people, yet is quite competitive.

The USA has 325 million people---roughly about ten times as many people, has great well funded places with year round outdoor training weather and many millions of children playing as soon as they can walk.

Yet some years, we can't even field a world class team.

I don't think the USA has the passion/appreciation for soccer --'futbol' that much of the rest of the planet shares.

I wonder what the average person in most distant countries thinks about our baseball, football and basketball?

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2018, 01:26:19 PM »
The only positive thing about the 2026 World Cup is the fact that the Estadio Azteca in Mexico City, the greatest soccer stadium in the world, will become the only stadium to have hosted matches from three different world cups.

Kind of negative---what's all the other predominantly negative 'things' about the distant 2026 WC?

Offline benjio

• Spouse's Country: Brazil
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2018, 05:11:40 PM »

Heyyyyyyy, Brazilliangirl!!!!

Yes, but what amazes me, is that although it's been a real long time since they've won it all, Uruguay has done so before (the first FIFA cup in 1930, then again, as you said in 1950--against eeek!---Brazil) and  that Uruguay only has today, a population of less than 3.5 million people, yet is quite competitive.

The USA has 325 million people---roughly about ten times as many people, has great well funded places with year round outdoor training weather and many millions of children playing as soon as they can walk.

Yet some years, we can't even field a world class team.

I don't think the USA has the passion/appreciation for soccer --'futbol' that much of the rest of the planet shares.

I wonder what the average person in most distant countries thinks about our baseball, football and basketball?

Unfortunately soccer is still not attracting the best athletes in the U.S. Forget about football, basketball, baseball and hockey. For the average high school student even track and field is still a more attractive option. In the northeast and midwest hockey is played in high school too. It's really all cultural. The popularity of soccer continues to increase in the U.S. though. I read somewhere that women's soccer  has surpassed basketball as a first choice for female varsity athletes in high school. The MLS has been more popular than hockey as a spectator sport for years and they are slowly gaining on baseball which numbers have been declining.

But seriously though...imagine a U.S. Men's Soccer team with Adrian Petersen and Barry Sanders...relentless, fast runners with unbelievable acceleration and the ability to change direction in full stride. Throw in a few accurate kickers like Stephen Gostkowski and Adam Venatieri (more athletically inclined than most NFL kickers of course), then take the best Lacrosse players in the U.S. like Paul Rabil and Rob Pannell, imagine that little speedster Jose Altuve out on a soccer field pulling all kinds of low center of gravity tricks because he's so short and fast (even though he's Venezuelan....but just for arguments sake). Then throw in the best soccer players we already have like Clint Dempsey and Tim Howard. Assuming all these men started playing soccer as soon as they were old enough to kick a ball, were groomed by professional coaches to build solid fundamental skills; then continued to dedicate themselves to the sport their entire lives all the way through college. I do not think the U.S. would be in the same position in the global soccer community if those types of athletes were picking soccer over what have traditionally been the most popular modern sports in the U.S. And that's just if 1% of the guys that go out for football opted for "futbol" instead.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 05:30:53 PM by benjio »

Offline mambocowboy

• Spouse's Country: Colombia
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2018, 11:43:23 PM »

Unfortunately soccer is still not attracting the best athletes in the U.S. Forget about football, basketball, baseball and hockey. For the average high school student even track and field is still a more attractive option. In the northeast and midwest hockey is played in high school too. It's really all cultural. The popularity of soccer continues to increase in the U.S. though. I read somewhere that women's soccer  has surpassed basketball as a first choice for female varsity athletes in high school. The MLS has been more popular than hockey as a spectator sport for years and they are slowly gaining on baseball which numbers have been declining.

But seriously though...imagine a U.S. Men's Soccer team with Adrian Petersen and Barry Sanders...relentless, fast runners with unbelievable acceleration and the ability to change direction in full stride. Throw in a few accurate kickers like Stephen Gostkowski and Adam Venatieri (more athletically inclined than most NFL kickers of course), then take the best Lacrosse players in the U.S. like Paul Rabil and Rob Pannell, imagine that little speedster Jose Altuve out on a soccer field pulling all kinds of low center of gravity tricks because he's so short and fast (even though he's Venezuelan....but just for arguments sake). Then throw in the best soccer players we already have like Clint Dempsey and Tim Howard. Assuming all these men started playing soccer as soon as they were old enough to kick a ball, were groomed by professional coaches to build solid fundamental skills; then continued to dedicate themselves to the sport their entire lives all the way through college. I do not think the U.S. would be in the same position in the global soccer community if those types of athletes were picking soccer over what have traditionally been the most popular modern sports in the U.S. And that's just if 1% of the guys that go out for football opted for "futbol" instead.
Wont happen in my lifetime.  After hosting 1994 cup there seemed to be alot of momentum which led to MLS, but the fact US didn't qualify this year suggests soccer hasn't progressed nearly enough to be taken seriously on the world stage. I too have tried to imagine AP or Barry Sanders type athletes representing US soccer. It'll only happen if American tackle football as we know it is banned due to concern over head trauma. Its not totally out of the question.  A hundred years ago boxing was this country's most popular sport and now is only a niche sport, so who lmows...

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2018, 07:16:41 AM »
Wont happen in my lifetime.  After hosting 1994 cup there seemed to be alot of momentum which led to MLS, but the fact US didn't qualify this year suggests soccer hasn't progressed nearly enough to be taken seriously on the world stage. I too have tried to imagine AP or Barry Sanders type athletes representing US soccer. It'll only happen if American tackle football as we know it is banned due to concern over head trauma. Its not totally out of the question.  A hundred years ago boxing was this country's most popular sport and now is only a niche sport, so who lmows...

You and Benjio have excellent points. Even though the USA is second only to China in the number of children playing organized soccer, by the time they get to high school, and the term 'soccer mom' is a USA axiom, the 'glory sports' like football and basketball, have more appeal by middle, high school age.

Some suggest that with the perceived lack of offense, low scoring and large size of a soccer field, people in the USA don't have sufficient attention span.

Yet I think the stop and go, slower pace of US style football and baseball, doesn't appeal to a lot of people elsewhere.

Basketball seem to have more universal appeal and participation worldwide.

Never mind that we brought Pele and Becker here, we're just not 'buying' into it on a large scale once the kids get older.

Offline Wildstubby

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2018, 05:47:20 PM »
One fellow and I had a discussion about this topic. I think he is on the right track when it comes to the US and the rest of the world. He says the reason is that in the other nations, there isn't anything to get you out of poverty. Lets face it, when you are a futbol star in any country other than the US, you are the equivalent of a 'rock star'! The US won't embrace futbol like other countries because the US still hasn't figured out how to run commercials during the game. So advertisers put their money in high profile games and try to squelch anything else to take viewer from their products.

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2018, 05:47:20 PM »

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2018, 07:40:38 PM »
One fellow and I had a discussion about this topic. I think he is on the right track when it comes to the US and the rest of the world. He says the reason is that in the other nations, there isn't anything to get you out of poverty. Lets face it, when you are a futbol star in any country other than the US, you are the equivalent of a 'rock star'! The US won't embrace futbol like other countries because the US still hasn't figured out how to run commercials during the game. So advertisers put their money in high profile games and try to squelch anything else to take viewer from their products.

Sounds about right. You see some of the best world distance runners from Africa, who started out running for years, barefoot because they couldn't afford shoes, later winning Olympic gold. Then baseball players from the Latin America. I've seen Caribbean islands that produced pro baseball players who played on fields that had zero grass. Some obscure nations, areas have produced NBA players who never handled a basketball until they were well into their teenage years.

Raw talent, discovered, combined with a desire to excell and likely escape an otherwise unpromising future.

For that matter, if Mike Tyson was a product of private, New England prep schools, rather than the mean streets of NYC, I doubt if he'd have been half as great a fighter as he was at an amazingly young age.

And fame is often followed by money, media exposure and more money.

At least until you no longer have talent or aren't a legend, a train wreck or are a walking freak show. (Dennis Rodman, etc)

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5871
Latest: ponttbryr
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 133128
Total Topics: 7864
Most Online Today: 300