It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: Robert Vignola Murdered in Cali Thursday Night  (Read 21227 times)

Offline maggiemtnman

Robert Vignola Murdered in Cali Thursday Night
« on: March 30, 2007, 02:33:09 AM »
My good friend Robert Vignola was killed in Cali Thursday night. Many of you may have known Bob as the owner of Latin Women Connection or may have rented his condo. It was a targeted murder with eight bullets thru the window of his car. His wife Beatriz was shot in the arm and is in the hospital now receiving surgery. I do not know if it was accidental mistaken identity. Life may be short in Colombia ... the good and bad in the country as we know it. This will make the news in America because not many gringos are killed in Colombia. I will post more when I learn. I was just getting over the death of Pete. The hospital bills for Pete's surgery were finally paid last week after translation assistance from my wife and now this. Life is not predictable .... George

Offline Christopher

Re: Robert Vignola Murdered in Cali Thursday Night
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2007, 04:45:10 AM »
Colombia does not sound like a country you would want to stay in permanantly.  Poor guy.

Offline pan de bono

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2007, 05:13:57 AM »
Is this report for real? Where did you hear this? I only met Robert once several years ago, he seemed like a nice guy. Wasnt he an attorney and agency owner?

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2007, 05:13:57 AM »

Offline Cali-vet

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2007, 06:13:28 AM »
From El Pais Friday:

Beatriz Ramos, esposa del norteamericano y sobrina de Diego Ramos, actual precandidato a la Gobernación del Valle, conducía el vehículo en el que se movilizaba con su pareja en el momento del atentado que la dejó gravemente herida.

Un ciudadano estadounidense fue asesinado anoche tras recibir ocho disparos, cuando iba como pasajero del vehículo que conducía su esposa, quien resultó gravemente herida.

Robert Marshall Vignola, de 52 años, un abogado que también tenía ciudadanía colombiana, había llegado al país cuatro días antes del atentado y en el momento del homicidio se dirigía al aeropuerto.

Beatriz Ramos, esposa del hombre asesinado y sobrina de Diego Ramos, quien fue diputado y concejal y actualmente es precandidato a la Gobernación del Valle, se encuentra hospitalizada y su estado de salud se desconoce.

Los hechos se presentaron anoche, pasadas las 7:30, en la Carrera 5 con Calle 62, barrio Calima, al norte de la ciudad.

La señora Ramos conducía el auto, un Chevrolet gris con vidrios polarizados de placas CPP 187, y su esposo iba en el asiento del pasajero con la ventana cerrada.

El dato clave
La señora Beatriz Ramos dirige una fundación sin animo de lucro que colabora proporcionándole alimento y vestuario a niños de barrios pobres de la ciudad.

Al notar en la calle 60 que dos hombres en una motocicleta, según informaron personas del sector, los venían persiguiendo, aumentaron la velocidad. Sin embargo, los sujetos alcanzaron el vehículo en el semáforo de la 5 con 62 y se ubicaron al lado derecho del mismo, para disparar en ocho oportunidades a las dos ventanas laterales, causándole la muerte súbita a Vignola y heridas a su esposa.

Ramos alcanzó a mantener el control de su automóvil por unos 20 metros y luego se detuvo. Perdió el conocimiento y no lo recuperó sino minutos más tarde, cuando la Policía hizo su aparición y dispuso su traslado a una clínica de la ciudad.

Las autoridades correspondientes informaron que al revisar a Vignola ya éste se encontraba muerto.

Se cree que el caso fue un acto de sicariato, pues los presuntos asesinos “tiraron a matar y luego huyeron. No era cuestión de robo, porque el carro del señor (Vignola) tenía vidrios oscuros. Ellos ya sabían a donde disparar”, señaló uno de los vecinos del sector.

Según fuentes oficiales, aún no se conocen las causas del delito y hasta el momento no hay capturados ni posibles sospechosos.

Miembros de la familia de las víctimas, que llegaron al lugar del crimen, le comentaron a las autoridades que ignoraban que la pareja tuviera enemigos o problemas con alguien.

”Desafortunadamente, estos son casos que se presentan mucho en Cali y estamos luchando para combatirlos”, señaló el general Luis Alberto Moore, comandante de la Policía Metropolitana de Cali.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2007, 06:39:28 AM by Dan »

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • Russian Women Discussion
  • Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2007, 06:42:58 AM »
Here is a computer translation - not great, but you can understand the gist:

Beatriz Branches, wife of the American and niece of Diego Branches, present preliminary candidate to the Government of the Valley, conducted the vehicle in which was mobilized with its couple at the moment of the attack that left it seriously injured. 

An American citizen was murdered last night after receiving eight shots, when he went as the passenger of the vehicle that conducted his wife, who turned out to be seriously injured. 

Robert Marshall Vignola, of 52 years, a lawyer that had also Colombian citizenship, al had arrived country four days before the attack and at the moment of the homicide al was directed airport. 

Beatriz Branches, wife of the man murdered and niece of Diego Branches, who was a representative and councilman and at present is preliminary candidate to the Government of the Valley, he is found hospitalized and his state of health he does not know himself. 

The facts were presented last night, past the 7:30, in the Career 5 with Street 62, neighborhood Haze, al north of the city. 

The lady Branches conducted the car, a Chevrolet gray with glasses polarized of plates CPP 187, and its husband went in the seat of the passenger with the window closed. 

The key data The lady Beatriz Branches directs a foundation without I encourage of gain that collaborates providing him food and wardrobe to children of poor neighborhoods of the city.  Al to note in the street 60 that two men in a motorcycle, as reported people of the sector, they came them pursuing, they enlarged the velocity.  Nevertheless, the subjects reached the vehicle in the signal of the 5 with 62 and they were located al right side of the same one, to shoot in eight opportunities at two o'clock lateral windows, causing him the sudden death to Vignola and injuries to their wife. 

Branches reached to maintain the control of its car for some 20 meters and then stopped.  It lost the knowledge and it did not recover but minutes later, when the Police did its apparition and arranged its transfer to a clinic of the city. 

The corresponding authorities reported that al to revise to Vignola already this was found dead person. 

It is believed that the case was an act of sicariato, therefore the presumed murderers "threw to kill and then they fled.  Was not question of robbery, because the car of the mister (Vignola) had dark glasses.  They already knew where to shoot", indicated one of the neighbors of the sector. 

According to official sources, not yet the causes of the crime are known and up to now not to have captured neither possible suspicious. 

Members of the family of the victims, that arrived al place of the crime, they commented to the authorities that ignored that the couple had enemies or problems with someone. 

" Unfortunately, these they are cases that are presented a lot in Cali and we are fighting to fight them", indicated the general one Luis Alberto Moore, commander of the Metropolitan Police of Cali. 

Offline utopiacowboy

• Spouse's Country: Colombia
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2007, 07:20:01 AM »
I wonder where Daytrader is so he can comment on how safe Cali is.

Offline el_ruso

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2007, 07:39:24 AM »
Well, politicians get killed there routinely.  And any connection to a politician can turn deadly.  I have a friend whose last name is Pastrana and he is VERY distantly related, and he is afraid to go - he has not gone back since Pastrana was elected.  And I can understand his fears.

Offline bundy_138

• Latinas can be addictive....trust me!
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2007, 07:48:13 AM »
HOLY SHAT!!!!  I met Roberto and Beatriz while in Cali last month!  I stayed in the apartment that Roberto was renting to my friend!  The apartment was right next to Roberto and Beatriz's apartment.  I also met Diego at a party they were having.  I knew he was into politics, but to what extent I did not understand.  

Wow, very interesting.  Well, I still feel Cali is safe.  No one really knows their background or what they were involved in, so why try and speculate.  I met them briefly and seemed like very nice people, but you never know.  Could have been a random act of violence, could have been a hired hit.  

Lets just hope they catch the a**holes that did this so their family can have some justice and closure.

Bundy
If you don't take care of your woman, someone else will.  (Bundy)

Offline papi

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2007, 07:53:50 AM »
I was trying to find the article on eltiempo.com and can't locate it however I assume this sad story is correct. I met Robert one time and exchanged some emails with him. He had an agency and also an apartment he rented. If someone has the link, I'd like to read the story.

Bingo! My thoughts exactly. Q lastima!
Red Bull may give you wings, but if Flakes could fly - BAQ is in fact an airport

Offline P Daddy

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2007, 08:01:23 AM »

Did you read the article from El Pais Utopia??  For the "average" gringo traveling to Cali, it is relatively safe.  But unfortunately Robert and his wife were not average.  As Bundy alluded to, it seemed Robert was getting involved in politics, more than likely with his wife's uncle. Getting involved in politics in Colombia is a very dangerous thing to do, be you gringo or Colombiano...very sad story.

Again, for the average gringo who keeps a LOW PROFILE, Cali is safe...

Offline papi

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2007, 08:07:48 AM »
Again, for the average gringo who keeps a LOW PROFILE, Cali is safe...

pdaddy, i think like many things in latin america - this is another gray area. I disagree with those that paint a picture that Colombia is something that it is not and you are certainly not in Kansas anymore. I also don't think Colombia is safe yet it does not stop me from going. Do you have the link to the article?
Red Bull may give you wings, but if Flakes could fly - BAQ is in fact an airport

Offline Kiltboy1

• She Loves What's Under The Kilt
  • Spouse's Country: Other Latin America
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2007, 08:12:01 AM »
My last trip to Cali(and my last) 2 years ago, i stayed in Robert's condo in La Flor. Looks like a Political hit, but nevertheless, Cali is still a dangerous place. Which poster called it "THE WILD WEST", I am in agreement with him more everytime i hear things like this. There are 2 Colombianos that workout in my Gym. one from Bucaramanga and the other from Pompayan. We talk about various things when in the gym, but they are both in agreement of one thing. CALI IS THE MOST DANGEROUS PLACE IN COLOMBIA THAT IS NOT A BORDER TOWN WITH ECUADOR OR VENEZUELA. But you guys that want to retire there, make sure you got money to hire bodyguards. Never met Robert, but heard he was an ok guy. Sad news for sure

KB
She Loves What's Under The Kilt !

Viva Ecuador !

Offline papi

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2007, 08:22:11 AM »
Cali is still a dangerous place.

Not only Cali...but all of colombia. very sad news indeed

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2007, 08:22:11 AM »

Offline papi

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2007, 08:26:19 AM »
i found the link. interesting it contains the somewhat derogatory word gringo....

http://www.elpais.com.co/paisonline/notas/Marzo302007/gringo.html

Offline P Daddy

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2007, 08:44:48 AM »
Well I guess it depends on how you define "safe"...Is it safe to swim in the ocean off the coast of Florida??  I'd say yes, but have people been attacked by sharks while doing so??  yes...
Is it safe to drive on the streets and highways of the U.S.??  As a whole yes...but almost 60,000 Americans lose their lives every year doing so, not to mention the 100,000 injuries of people who survive...
Is it safe to take a shower in your house?? more people die or are injured every year in their showers than gringos being killed, or robbed in Colombia...

I will stand behind my statement...Colombia and Cali is relatively safe for the average gringo who keeps a low profile...

As for me, I'm on my way to Cali today...pray for me... ;)

Offline Kiltboy1

• She Loves What's Under The Kilt
  • Spouse's Country: Other Latin America
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2007, 09:02:44 AM »
P Diddy

We can argue statistics all day long and while there is nowhere completely safe, there are places more dangerous then others and i think for Colombian cities, Cali is near the top for being dangerous, somewhat lawless and the headquarters for the Mafiosos and now more FARC as well. I have been going to Colombia since 2001 and in that time there have been 8 gringos that i know of murdered there. Some Robbery, Some just Dumbasses and think that they are safe anywhere in the city and some , maybe like Robert, got mixed up in things they should not have. Contrary to popular beliefs, there are not thousands of Gringos going to Cali every year, so 8 murdered to me is quite a lot i feel considering everything, but again, maybe half of those were just plain stupid, felt like there were above getting whacked  or whatever. I have always said this and i continue to believe this 100% " DO NOT THINK YOU ARE NOT BEING WATCHED, GUAGED OR SIZED UP , BECAUSE YOU ARE " These people  are poor and /or opportunists and they are looking for a reason to get over on you. There are great people in Cali and every other Colombian city, but those are not the ones that are sizing you up, so please be aware and careful as i do not enjoy reading about this kind of thing.

KB
She Loves What's Under The Kilt !

Viva Ecuador !

Offline el_ruso

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2007, 09:36:13 AM »
My own impression of Cali was not good.  It is dirty and poor, and cities like Medellin or Bogota feel and look as if they are in another country. 

There are good people in Cali, I am sure most people there are good and decent people.  and there are gorgeous women everywhere.  But the same can be said about other places in Colombia.  If I met a woman in Cali and fell in love with her, I would have no problem going there to see her, but to live there...  No way!!!  It's nasty.  (IMHO)  I am glad my girl is from MDE; it is no switzerland, but is a lot nicer.

If I lived in Colombia, I would for sure pick Medellin, or perhaps Bogota.  But then, most guys who live in Cali seem to enjoy themselves.

Offline blockbuster

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2007, 09:41:57 AM »
Sad to hear such bad news early in the morning.  Though Medellin in nice I am considering Argentina or the North Coast of Dominican Republic for retirement when it happens wayy down the line.

Offline papi

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2007, 09:51:26 AM »
i know a guy who spends half his time in medellin and the other in argentina. he raves about the latter

Offline Parlay Rey

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2007, 10:51:39 AM »
Wow. Very sad news.

I agree 100% with Kiltboy1. I have not been to Cali nor would this tragedy discourage me from visiting. I am not ex-military nor any of the sort, but I am a Spanish speaker who comes from humble beginnings. I keep my eyes and ears open both at home and abroad. My personal safety is just that--mine.

The last visit to my wife's barrio in Barranquilla the spider sense went off like crazy but I just couldn't figure out the deal. Later I found out I was reconned by unfriendlies. Nothing major, I assume. Had a great time as usual, no problems, good time had by all. However I always remind myself that it's Colombia. Stuff does happen. Buyer Beware.

Remember Dorothy, you ain't in Kansas anymore.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2007, 11:03:02 AM by Parlay Rey »

Offline John W

« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2007, 11:19:00 AM »
I would like to extend my sincere condolences to Robert’s family and friends.  Robert had extensive knowledge about and a true love for Colombia.  I greatly appreciated his excellent posts over on gringos.com.  Robert wrote one long post on the hidden dangers in Cali and how most gringos traveling there do not understand these dangers.  He did not discourage people from going to Cali, but gave some excellent advice on avoiding becoming a victim.  It is very tragic to see Robert fall victim to the violence that he cautioned others about. 
« Last Edit: March 30, 2007, 01:29:12 PM by John W »

Offline John W

« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2007, 11:32:32 AM »
P Daddy:

Although it may be too late if you are already en route to Cali, I think this would be a great time for you to post some specific tips on staying safe in Cali/Colombia.  I think I remember you posting one time that you never walk anywhere in Colombia.  If you are going to a restaurant that is three blocks from you hotel, you still take a cab.  I think solid information and advice like this from savvy, experienced travelers is more helpful than debating whether or not Colombia is safe.    Many people on this board (myself included) have limited travel experience to South America.  Others have no experience.  Solid, specific advice is very helpful.  Any other experienced travelers offering their advice would also be appreciated.  Perhaps this should be a separate thread started by the more experienced members.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2007, 11:47:44 AM by John W »

Offline Gringo Joe

« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2007, 01:00:56 PM »
In my opinion Barranquilla seemed safer to me than the US cities of the same size. Not only was there always a large police presence but also a lot of military with AK-47's walking the streets. I think you should use the same common sense that you use in the US. I live in Harrisburg PA and there are parts of the city I would never go to especially at night. Same with Barranquilla, my wife would never let me go to a Estrato 1 or 2 area of town.

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2007, 01:00:56 PM »

Offline P Daddy

« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2007, 01:07:24 PM »
Just checking in from the Admirals Club here in Miami airport...

just a few quick comments...

Kiltboy, I 've followed the Cali scene pretty closely for the last 10 years...Robert's murder is only the 2nd gringo I can remember being murdered, the other was an ex-pat who worked as a professor and was robbed and murdered after visiting an ATM.  Can you fill me in on the 6 other ones??  Try to be specific...

Of course, Cali isn't the safest place in the world, but let me say it again...for the AVERAGE gringo who is visiting and who keeps a low profile, it is relatively safe...

Listen, I've had to change my behavior since I bought a finca outside of Cali///I'm probably more at risk than my days of staying at the Intercontinental or Radisson, in fact, I know I'm more at risk.  And of course I take measures to ensure my safety...

Unfortunately Robert's lifestyle was NOT that of a normal gringo, and his involvement with his wife's family politics more than likely was the reason for his tragic death...

I just don't want any fence sitters getting scared thinking that something like this will happen to them if they go to Cali looking for a bride...let's
 be realistic, it won't...

Everyone have a Happy Easter...

Offline Mazu

Not a good guy. A great guy
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2007, 03:06:34 PM »
I knew Robert better than most. Dated his sister-in-law for about six months in 05. I ended up falling in love with a Latina from Texas who was everything I wanted (and more then I deserved).
I also talked to Robert at least four or five times a month (he did 3 different home loans for me). He wasn't a good guy. He was an f'ing great guy. Down to earth. Would give you the shirt off his back and never tired of talking about business and South America. I can tell you the talk of him being political was bull. Yes, he knew his wife's uncle (he came to a few of their parties) but Robert didn't work for him, give money to the campaign or anything else.
I also knew his wife and she has had numerous death threats (when she was a not well liked city attorney) and I think they were trying to get her and Robert ended up losing his life over it.
Yes, he wasn't your average Gringo but I hope to be half the guy he is when I am 50. I ordered him book "Secrets of dating Latin women" when I spoke a bit of Spanish and didn't know anything about South America. I took a different path (than many of you) but that is OK. I wouldn't have fallen for a Latina at all, had it not been for Robert.
Matt "Mazu" Gagnon (matt@mazu.com)

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5876
Latest: ponttfsch
New This Month: 4
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 133129
Total Topics: 7864