It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: Reduced Flight Cost Due to Coronavirus Scare  (Read 3479 times)

Offline benjio

• Spouse's Country: Brazil
  • Trips: > 10
Reduced Flight Cost Due to Coronavirus Scare
« on: March 09, 2020, 03:34:26 PM »
My assumption is this will be pretty well contained within the next month. There are going to be a significant number of elderly people and those with pre-existing conditions that lose their lives from this pandemic. I have no doubt. Perhaps even in the hundreds of thousands range globally. But if no freak mutation happens that turns it into a super virus most people that catch it are going to recover and life will go on.

With that being said if you ever wanted to travel somewhere and flight costs were an issue now is the perfect time to book for trips later on this year. I just got Houston to Medellin, round trip, leaving in mid-April and returning in May for $347 (American & Copa) using the Hopper app.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2020, 03:36:26 PM by benjio »

Offline mambocowboy

• Spouse's Country: Colombia
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Re: Reduced Flight Cost Due to Coronavirus Scare
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2020, 04:02:20 PM »
My assumption is this will be pretty well contained within the next month. There are going to be a significant number of elderly people and those with pre-existing conditions that lose their lives from this pandemic. I have no doubt. Perhaps even in the hundreds of thousands range globally. But if no freak mutation happens that turns it into a super virus most people that catch it are going to recover and life will go on.

With that being said if you ever wanted to travel somewhere and flight costs were an issue now is the perfect time to book for trips later on this year. I just got Houston to Medellin, round trip, leaving in mid-April and returning in May for $347 (American & Copa) using the Hopper app.
Just got round trip tickets for my suegro and suegra. Baq to San Diego. Only 80k reward miles!...

Offline benjio

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2020, 04:49:48 PM »
Just got round trip tickets for my suegro and suegra. Baq to San Diego. Only 80k reward miles!...

NICE!!!!!! 80K for two tickets???!!!

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2020, 04:49:48 PM »

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
  • Spouse's Country: The Philippines
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2020, 06:29:05 PM »

I don't think we've begun to see the extent the impact this virus is going to inflict--not yet, not by a long shot.

The economic effects will be additional to other, everyday negative effects.

Best case scenario is this monster behaves as previous related viruses, namely corona type and flu types did and dies off with the warmer weather.

If not, we're about a year off from a vaccine, up a long creek, w/o a paddle.

That said, airfares to the Philippines, as well as to Michigan, and loosely planned trips to Vancouver, Chicago, NYC, Denver and Austin, are on our radar.

I wonder if they're giving away cruises yet-- although that's about the least appealing travel option for us at this time.

I guess that knowing your fare money's are insured is as important as ever about now.

What's weird is unlike before, when you could always say "Oh that virus is African or Asian, European or S American --soooo we'll go to xxxxx instead " isn't as safe an option--- that mofo is potentially just about everwhere.
Whether you think you can or think you can't--you're right!

Offline mambocowboy

• Spouse's Country: Colombia
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2020, 11:06:30 PM »
NICE!!!!!! 80K for two tickets???!!!
Yes 2 round trip. Expected twice the cost...

Offline Elexpatriado

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2020, 05:15:29 PM »

Until they ban all flights...

And cheap flights do no good if you are unemployed and all your investments and  savings evaporate.

And just wait until the epidemic really takes hold in Colombia..how hard it will be to date a woman.

Your girlfriend will quarantine herself with her family

Well at least Colombia is food self sufficient..and the Peso is at record low..hopefully the monetry system doesnt collapse

Maybe , guns, a canned and frozen food stock, small farm  with its own generator and potable water and lots of aguardiente is a good idea.

Kinda reminds me of "Mad Max"

Offline benjio

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2020, 07:54:25 PM »

Until they ban all flights...

And cheap flights do no good if you are unemployed and all your investments and  savings evaporate.

And just wait until the epidemic really takes hold in Colombia..how hard it will be to date a woman.

Your girlfriend will quarantine herself with her family

Well at least Colombia is food self sufficient..and the Peso is at record low..hopefully the monetry system doesnt collapse

Maybe , guns, a canned and frozen food stock, small farm  with its own generator and potable water and lots of aguardiente is a good idea.

Kinda reminds me of "Mad Max"

Media scare tactics. We’ll see what happens soon enough. First day of Spring is in 8 days. Viruses of this type die a lot quicker outside the body when the temperature increases.

Offline mudd

• Commercial Member
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2020, 08:05:07 PM »
colombia just started quarantining   people arriving  from certain countries for 14 days 

Offline Elexpatriado

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2020, 07:23:32 AM »
Media scare tactics. We’ll see what happens soon enough. First day of Spring is in 8 days. Viruses of this type die a lot quicker outside the body when the temperature increases.

I still think it is blown way out of proportion..

But it is government and peoples hysteria we have to worry about..and the effect on our economic  livelihood , freedom and well being

I am not as optimistic as you anymore

Offline Elexpatriado

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2020, 07:29:00 AM »
Hope it doesnt come to this...

https://youtu.be/kc7y8xs6QXw

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
  • Spouse's Country: The Philippines
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2020, 01:12:20 PM »
I still think it is blown way out of proportion..

But it is government and peoples hysteria we have to worry about..and the effect on our economic  livelihood , freedom and well being

I am not as optimistic as you anymore

But if you were Mayor you wouldn't have the luxury of going low key, then being wrong and thousands or millions die, based on your failure to act.

Everything in general is 'overblown' news--but we just can't afford to screw up on this one. Economics are trumped by the virus, along with a lack of personal freedoms.

Politicians and other dictators would love to have a virus like this locked up and bottled, to use to control entire populations. No messy military coup' required. I was smack dab in the middle of a coup attempt in otherwise lovely  Makati, Manila and they are messy, inconvenient affairs.

There's a movie in this somewhere...
Whether you think you can or think you can't--you're right!

Offline Elexpatriado

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2020, 08:59:16 AM »
They finally closed the border with Venezuela (which , like Virus stricken Iran is a closed society, even worse medical facilities, and has strong relations with China and has had interaction with many Chinese nationals even recently)[/size]Only problem is the 3000 Venezuelans who travel bacck and forth illegally every day via the "trochas"..Also anyone who has been in Europe or Asia in the last 2 weeks cannot enter Colombia.The only exception are Colombian Nationals who have to go in Quarantine for 2 weeks when they come back from these locations.I believe Ecuador has the same rules.Waiting for the US and canada to get on the list.

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5876
Latest: ponttfsch
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 133129
Total Topics: 7864
Most Online Today: 137