It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: Business vs Class Airline deals.  (Read 3320 times)

Offline Fosgate5

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: None (yet)
Business vs Class Airline deals.
« on: August 28, 2015, 08:17:09 PM »
Wondering if anyone has a good source for airline deals. Ever since I was flying when I was in the military airlines were always a hassle. If I could not get a seat behind a bulkhead I was usually screwed. At 6'6 my knees are in the seat in front of me. Stewards see that and sometimes they move me up to business class or first class when I am on the plane already. I have, on some airlines, been forced to pay for a second seat or pay for a business class seat. Pain in the azz I know, but not a huge deal flying in the states. This is where I see a dilemma. I look at flights to PH and Econ will run $1200-1500 but Business class runs over $5k. So I'm thinking, International Flight, they will force me to move up for sure. Couple of my credit cards offer rewards for tickets but by the time it makes much difference the Jetsons floating home will be a reality. Anyone got any good sources for tickets?

Offline Elexpatriado

• Trips: Resident
Re: Business vs Class Airline deals.
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2015, 08:30:50 PM »

Try booking well ahead and getting a seat in the emergency exit-or like you said, behind the bulkhead. I knoew its not always possible.

I feel for you- I am only 5ยด11" but have bad knees from running and skiing down mountains and the like. Cant stand to have my knees scrunched up.

Also try an aisle seat, and stick your feet out in the aisle and move them when the Stewie comes by.

Dont know if this helps. Airlines are not known to give deals tom people out of the goodness of their heart.

If you book a ct least a year in advance, you might get a good deal on Business class. Works that way with points

Wondering if anyone has a good source for airline deals. Ever since I was flying when I was in the military airlines were always a hassle. If I could not get a seat behind a bulkhead I was usually screwed. At 6'6 my knees are in the seat in front of me. Stewards see that and sometimes they move me up to business class or first class when I am on the plane already. I have, on some airlines, been forced to pay for a second seat or pay for a business class seat. Pain in the azz I know, but not a huge deal flying in the states. This is where I see a dilemma. I look at flights to PH and Econ will run $1200-1500 but Business class runs over $5k. So I'm thinking, International Flight, they will force me to move up for sure. Couple of my credit cards offer rewards for tickets but by the time it makes much difference the Jetsons floating home will be a reality. Anyone got any good sources for tickets?

Offline Fosgate5

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2015, 09:05:33 PM »
Pretty much what I have done in the past. Actually, window is better for me. I get smoked by the push cart in the knees if I sit in the isle seat. Problem is I have been bumped several times because of overbooking and wind up stuck who knows where on the next flight.

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2015, 09:05:33 PM »

Offline Ray

• Spouse's Country: The Philippines
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2015, 06:14:14 AM »
Over 5k for business class is too high.

Check individual airline websites for special deals on business class. Philippine airlines occasionally has some good promo prices business class seats.

Cathay Pacific has a Premium Economy Class with larger seats and additional leg room. I think a little over 2k from West coast to Manila?

A good travel agent should be able to find you more specials or offer tips on seat upgrades.

Ray
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 06:18:39 AM by Ray »

Offline Ray

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2015, 12:57:55 AM »
Fos,

I was looking at the Philippine Airlines site and they give you the option to pre-reserve bulkhead or exit row seats for an additional fee of $50 on US flights and $7 on domestic flights.

Of course for exit row, you must meet the physical requirements.

http://www.philippineairlines.com/about-pal/frequently-asked-questions/choice-seats/

Ray

Offline thekfc

• No man was ever wise by chance. Seneca
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2015, 08:40:27 AM »
 Try getting a Premium economy seat especially one in the front row.

Also the front rows in Economy.  On same airlines (I know Cathay Pacific do) the economy cabin are broken down in 2 sections so there are  2 " sets"  front row seats in economy - one behind premium economy & the other behind the middle galley.

One thing to be aware of is that some of these sets are reserved for baby bassinet so you will be kicked out of that seat is a passenger with a baby boards (even if you previously reserved that seat). 

On Cathay, the front  economy have 2 baby bassinet seat one on each window row while in the back the bassinet seat is in the middle row - the window seats would be available for non-baby carrying passengers.

This is layout is not just limited to Cathay Pacific but to alot of airlines

Go to seatguru.com, pick an airline and plane and you will see the layout - it will also tell you which seats are the goods one as well as which ones to avoid.

On a side note, I love Cathay Pacific business class seat, it is a flat bed seat &  one of the best in the industry.
 And on their first class seat - both the wife & kid sleeps in the same seat.

If we were all forced to wear a warning label, what would yours say?

Offline Ray

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2015, 06:29:36 AM »
Hey kfc,

Have you had a chance to take advantage of Cathay Pacific's VIP airport lounges.

I got to use Philippine Airlines' Mabuhay Lounge in Manila once and it was awesome.

Ray

Offline thekfc

• No man was ever wise by chance. Seneca
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2015, 04:59:29 PM »
Hey kfc,

Have you had a chance to take advantage of Cathay Pacific's VIP airport lounges.

I got to use Philippine Airlines' Mabuhay Lounge in Manila once and it was awesome.

Ray
Yep.

I always give myself a few hours connecting time so I can enjoy the lounges.

I have gone to 3 of their 6 lounges in HK (I go to the lounge closest to my gate) and also gotten to use the British Airways Galleries Lounge at JFK as a member of Cathay's Marco Polo Club elite member & when I do fly Business class.

Cathay's Lounges in HK are awesome.

I have used the Arrival (to take a quick shower before heading into HK to sightsee) as well as the Pier &  the Wing. Their other lounges are called The Bridge, The Cabin & G16.

I got to use the private Cabana (private shower room) in the Wing once. Here is a short tour of the Cabana someone made.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5EoR0ePAfA

A little reading:
http://www.ausbt.com.au/first-look-photos-cathay-pacific-s-new-wing-first-class-lounge-hong-kong

Cathay have a new lounge in Manila but I have yet to use it.
If we were all forced to wear a warning label, what would yours say?

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5871
Latest: ponttbryr
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 133128
Total Topics: 7864
Most Online Today: 298