It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: Back From Cali...Where the Nightlife (Mostly) Sucks  (Read 11531 times)

Offline Hector_Lavoe

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Back From Cali...Where the Nightlife (Mostly) Sucks
« on: July 10, 2018, 08:42:53 AM »
Just came back from Cali. My second time there.

I have often thought Colombia gets a little over rated on this board. But after being in Cali for the 2nd time I will emphatically state this: The women there are STUNNING! As good as ANY city I have ever seen anywhere. Are they on every street corner? Of course not. But damn damn damn...do you see some great looking women.

I wrote a full summary of my trip but it got completely jumbled by P.L.'s formatting. Don't know what the hell happened. I'll have to come back and finish later.

https://www.nomadichustle.com/nightlife-in-latin-america-sometimes-sucks/

« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 08:53:50 AM by Hector_Lavoe »

Offline mambocowboy

• Spouse's Country: Colombia
Re: Back From Cali...Where the Nightlife (Mostly) Sucks
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2018, 10:37:31 AM »
Just came back from Cali. My second time there.

I have often thought Colombia gets a little over rated on this board. But after being in Cali for the 2nd time I will emphatically state this: The women there are STUNNING! As good as ANY city I have ever seen anywhere. Are they on every street corner? Of course not. But damn damn damn...do you see some great looking women.

I wrote a full summary of my trip but it got completely jumbled by P.L.'s formatting. Don't know what the hell happened. I'll have to come back and finish later.

https://www.nomadichustle.com/nightlife-in-latin-america-sometimes-sucks/
Look forward to hearing more Hector!

Offline Wildstubby

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2018, 02:24:47 PM »
Here, here! I would like to see what you have to say also. I never been to Cali. Never seem to stray much further west than Ibague but planning to go to Armenia in November.

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2018, 02:24:47 PM »

Offline Hector_Lavoe

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2018, 01:58:27 AM »
The cliff notes version: I came, I saw and I failed....if failure is defined as meeting a girl (or girls) you want to visit again and pursue a long-term relationship with.

The longer version:  I met women online (Tinder) but focused most of my efforts on meeting women in public places (malls, bars, restaurants, etc.). I met quite a few girls this way and got a few days this way during my (short) five day trip. I know: way, way too short.   

The challenging part of the equation is finding a way to meet the really attractive ladies as many of them are out in groups (day or night) which often include guys! 

The somewhat misleading title to the thread was based on a very good piece I read from a guy who has a lot of experience in Cali and Latin America. His article was really aimed at Latin America in general (though it can be applied to Cali's nightlife).  See the link to his piece at the end of this post.

In essence he states the obvious: the nightlife in most of Latin America (L.A.) for a gringo with no connections or social circle in L.A. SUCKS.

Of course, Cali is a town known for its late nights and rumba lifestyle. But the group nature of the nightlife with minimal "mixing and mingling" like there is in the USA makes it a challenge. This means day game (and online) is where it is at. If you sleep 6 to 8 hours a day and the "nightlife" hours are more a less a no go, that means you only have about one-third or so each day to pursue women via a cold approach. 

Final point made in the article: he lists several cities in Latin America where the hindrance of the "group oriented nightlife culture" is much less of an issue. Those cities are: Mexico City, Playa Del Carmen, Lima, Rio, Bogota and Santo Domingo.

Based on my experience in three of those six cities I tend to agree.

All that said, I did make a run at it solo in the nightlife arena with mixed results. One night I was walking from a shot bar (called Quickly) up the main strip of Granada and saw two 20-something women sitting outside a discoteca. I said hello and we chatted for a bit. They invited me to the disco as their amiga was having a birthday celebration. So I went inside with them and sat at their table. Three females and myself. I danced with them (salsa, bachata, reggaeton, etc.). But I was essentially STUCK with them for the whole night! The whole place was in groups set up in tables with a small dance floor in the middle.

I did exchange numbers with the one I thought was the cutest. She is about to finish studies at the university and will go to Miami to learn English where her parents live. So we both agreed to keep in touch and practice Spanish/English together. Pretty sure she wants something romantic. I see us just being friends or friends with benefits (if she goes for that kind of thing).

The issue at the malls (Chipichape, Palmetto, Unicentro) is the easiest women to approach are often the ones who work at the mall and they are often quite young (very early 20's). I met one young women who works at Palmetto Plaza. We went on a date. She is only 20 years old. Seemingly very sincere and mature for her age. That said, definitely not pursuing her romantically but perhaps she has some older cousins or knows some hot older chicas.

Met a few interasadas, of course, as this is Colombia! I really appreciate the ones who show you directly and up front what they are about. Much less of a WASTE of your time!

[size=78%]
Conclusion. Definitely rethinking my entire strategy: need a longer time in Colombia or will focus on places closer to home where I can travel to more frequently. Also, there are two places in Mexico on the "easier" nightlife culture list (both are closer to home and have direct flights from west coast).

Highlight of the Trip: Day trip to Lake Calima and Buga! Mind blowing landscapes just one hour from Cali!

Also, as warm/humid as it gets during the day in Cali, I really LIKE the climate in the evenings when the cooler winds blow in from the mountains. Really pleasant. Prefer the nights in Cali to Medellin's cooler evening temps.   

Here is the link I mentioned:   

[/size]https://www.nomadichustle.com/nightlife-in-latin-america-sometimes-sucks/
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 04:56:19 AM by Hector_Lavoe »

Offline mambocowboy

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2018, 09:41:16 AM »
Here, here! I would like to see what you have to say also. I never been to Cali. Never seem to stray much further west than Ibague but planning to go to Armenia in November.
Thanks Hector.  You said it: 5 days way too short. You need at least two weeks.

Offline Elexpatriado

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2018, 08:15:11 AM »
I think you should just focus on having fun and less on finding the ideal woman.

Pretty hard for those guys who want to.meet the "perfect"woman and them  dragging her a$$ back to the States.

So easy to make a big mistake and end up paying for it big time.

So many advantages to being retired or working online and living in Colombia or any other Latin country, enjoyig life and other activities besides women, and taking your time , having patience because there are a plethora of women out there, if it doest work with one NEXT there are other lined up.

Another thing, if you have a long distance relationship of convenience "amigos con derechos " you can bet the girl will be screwing around on you. Lots of STDs in Colombia.Even if its a so called serious relationship no guarantees.

You know the sayings " una relación de lejos.." I dont have to repeat the two versions. 
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 08:17:12 AM by Elexpatriado »

Offline Elexpatriado

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2018, 08:25:35 AM »
Why are you rejecting the 20 yo?

Like you said she seems very mature.

Get the age thing out of your head. A 20.Yo could be more mature, honest,.responsable and mentally sane than   a 35, 40 or 60 yo.

Dont worry what people in the States think.They will have the same comments whether she is 20 or 30 ( you being around 50 I believe?).

Offline benjio

• Spouse's Country: Brazil
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2018, 08:37:10 AM »
I think you should just focus on having fun and less on finding the ideal woman.

Pretty hard for those guys who want to.meet the "perfect"woman and them  dragging her a$$ back to the States.

So easy to make a big mistake and end up paying for it big time.

So many advantages to being retired or working online and living in Colombia or any other Latin country, enjoyig life and other activities besides women, and taking your time , having patience because there are a plethora of women out there, if it doest work with one NEXT there are other lined up.

Another thing, if you have a long distance relationship of convenience "amigos con derechos " you can bet the girl will be screwing around on you. Lots of STDs in Colombia.Even if its a so called serious relationship no guarantees.

You know the sayings " una relación de lejos.." I dont have to repeat the two versions.

Sound advice....and I'm sure everyone here is tired of me repeating this: But enjoy the country and the culture first. Let the courting thing happen naturally. You should obviously put some effort into meeting women and dating, but I've rarely seen "The One" found as a result of a diligent search in Colombia. Usually that's the girl that just falls in your lap while you're doing something else. I remember staying at Jamie's houses in Barranquilla and meeting guys that were so determined to find a wife you would have thought it was a military objective. But we all know romance doesn't quite work that way. If you walked into a bar, club, restaurant, etc. in the states and told people you were there to find a wife they'd probably look at you like you were crazy. Take that mindset with you to Colombia and run with it. Go as often possible and stay as long as you can each time. Build a circle of friends and contacts you can trust (at least as far as you can throw them). It will make for some memorable experiences.

The reason most of us go to Colombia is actually counterintuitive with respect to our big picture goal. We go to Colombia because the women are so beautiful, but what we ultimately want is a good wife. From my experience the most beautiful women I've met aren't the best to be in a relationship with. The best you can hope for there is finding a happy medium. My advice to men is to leave them down there and find a way to make living in country. The culture makes women what they are there. Look at what the culture has made women into in the U.S. You bring her back here and she's going to change...and usually not for the best.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 08:41:53 AM by benjio »

Offline utopiacowboy

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2018, 03:15:20 PM »
My question is who the hell would want to live in Colombia? It's a complete [snip] hole - the US has deteriorated to the point of being a Third World country but Colombia is bottom of the barrel. Check out Numbeo's cost of living stats and you'll see all the Colombian cities are down there with India and Africa. There's a reason for that.
[size=78%] [/size]

Offline Elexpatriado

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2018, 03:44:39 PM »
My question is who the hell would want to live in Colombia? It's a complete [snip] hole - the US has deteriorated to the point of being a Third World country but Colombia is bottom of the barrel. Check out Numbeo's cost of living stats and you'll see all the Colombian cities are down there with India and Africa. There's a reason for that.
[size=78%] [/size]

UCB

I doubt you have ever really set foot in a real third World country.

Offline buenopues4

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2018, 04:33:00 PM »
My question is who the hell would want to live in Colombia?

Me! Since 2002 and rather than hell hole it is one of the most beautiful places on the planet.

Offline mambocowboy

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2018, 05:01:17 PM »
Why are you rejecting the 20 yo?

Like you said she seems very mature.

Get the age thing out of your head. A 20.Yo could be more mature, honest,.responsable and mentally sane than   a 35, 40 or 60 yo.

Dont worry what people in the States think.They will have the same comments whether she is 20 or 30 ( you being around 50 I believe?).
Completely agree. Have fun. Bang some hot 20 year olds. The more you do that, the more women will be attracted to you...

Offline mambocowboy

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2018, 05:11:11 PM »
[size=78%] [/size]
For someone married to a Colombiana, that's a very negative way of describing her country.  I imagine your wife wouldn't like her country described that way, and most of the Colombians I know, while they do acknowledge some of its problems, are ver proud of Colombia....

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2018, 05:11:11 PM »

Offline Calipro

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2018, 08:05:09 PM »
For someone married to a Colombiana, that's a very negative way of describing her country.  I imagine your wife wouldn't like her country described that way, and most of the Colombians I know, while they do acknowledge some of its problems, are ver proud of Colombia....

UC should just leave his wife at home and head on down to Colombia by himself. He'd change his tune pretty quickly. jajaja

Offline Elexpatriado

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2018, 02:59:44 AM »
I  complain about Colombia all the time, but lets face it, " Third World " is a way over used term that isnt really relative now adays.

Colombia is an extremely beautiful country, with lots of issues like anywhere.

Offline utopiacowboy

« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2018, 08:15:25 AM »
Anyone who lives in Colombia eventually learns to block out the dismal display of poverty that is everywhere. The people who don't live there like me and my children are appalled by it. After a couple of weeks it gets really depressing and you just want to leave and never come back. I have spent way more time in Colombia than the place deserves. I wish that I had spent equal amounts of time in places like Chile and Argentina. In Uruguay you seldom are hit in the face by poverty the way you see it constantly in Colombia.

Yes, there is beauty in Colombia like the mountains near Santa Marta that we hiked through for five days to get to and from the Lost City but for all their posturing, hardly any Colombians ever see it. The vast majority of the people there are not from Colombia. When Colombians babble about what they love about their country, it frequently comes down to drinking, drugs and partying. The whole country is a case of arrested development. Party on Wayne!

This is what Colombia is to me:

A girl from a refugee family basically sold to an old man who takes care of my mother-in-law's finca and then eats rat poison to escape her dismal dead end life.

A guy married to his own aunt and everyone acts like this is perfectly normal.

A young woman whose father is killed by Escobar's gang members because he refuses to play ball with them. Later as a waitress at the airport restaurant she has to serve one of the gang's bosses and sit down and keep him company at the table while he eats.

A teenage boy answers the door and is shot and killed at point blank range by a sicario. It turns out later the sicario meant to kill the guy who lived next door. So hard to keep the addresses straight.

I could go on and on. Yeah [snip] happens everywhere but in Colombia it's a way of life that never changes.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 08:28:29 AM by utopiacowboy »

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
  • Spouse's Country: The Philippines
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2018, 08:39:44 AM »
I  complain about Colombia all the time, but lets face it, " Third World " is a way over used term that isnt really relative now adays.

Colombia is an extremely beautiful country, with lots of issues like anywhere.

Truer than a lot of people realize. When people overseas tell me that they they wish their country wasn't corrupt, that it was more "like the USA", I tell them a few things...

A lot of things seen as corruption overseas are actually legal here. Our Secretary of Education has never had a family member attend a public school, never mind take out a student loan. But her family did give 200 million dollars to the political party that won. She probably could've had any job in Washington DC she wanted, because when the senate and congress interviewed her and it was clear as day she was clueless about the reality of public education, it still didn't matter.

Money buys politicians, ready access to them and decision making. We may be seen as the proverbial "land of milk and honey" but for all our wealth, we have, amongst all nations, the largest percentage of our population in prisons.

Drugs, illegal and prescription, are common. We buy, resell and use and  that creates crime on the streets, in people's neighborhoods.

Real rehabilitation is typically more available for the wealthy and well insured. The building and administration of prisons, then the probation business after, is often a private, for profit arrangement.

Where I live, I am hearing more and more that instead of "going by the book" or letting people go 'as is' but with a warning, that the cops are taking the drugs for themselves. Our last police chief, after 40 years as a cop, finally was so blatant that he's in jail today. Unusual that he got caught and convicted.

No, we're not that different under the surface of money and material appearance. The perception people overseas get from the movies and TV is far from reality, but they often don't 'get it'.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 08:43:53 AM by robert angel »
Whether you think you can or think you can't--you're right!

Offline Hector_Lavoe

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2018, 09:01:18 AM »

Sound advice....and I'm sure everyone here is tired of me repeating this: But enjoy the country and the culture first. Let the courting thing happen naturally. You should obviously put some effort into meeting women and dating, but I've rarely seen "The One" found as a result of a diligent search in Colombia. Usually that's the girl that just falls in your lap while you're doing something else. I remember staying at Jamie's houses in Barranquilla and meeting guys that were so determined to find a wife you would have thought it was a military objective. But we all know romance doesn't quite work that way. If you walked into a bar, club, restaurant, etc. in the states and told people you were there to find a wife they'd probably look at you like you were crazy. Take that mindset with you to Colombia and run with it. Go as often possible and stay as long as you can each time. Build a circle of friends and contacts you can trust (at least as far as you can throw them). It will make for some memorable experiences.

Very well said...my only regret short of living in Colombia is I wish I lived in Miami (a short 3 hour plane ride away).

Offline mambocowboy

« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2018, 10:00:42 AM »
Truer than a lot of people realize. When people overseas tell me that they they wish their country wasn't corrupt, that it was more "like the USA", I tell them a few things...

A lot of things seen as corruption overseas are actually legal here. Our Secretary of Education has never had a family member attend a public school, never mind take out a student loan. But her family did give 200 million dollars to the political party that won. She probably could've had any job in Washington DC she wanted, because when the senate and congress interviewed her and it was clear as day she was clueless about the reality of public education, it still didn't matter.

Money buys politicians, ready access to them and decision making. We may be seen as the proverbial "land of milk and honey" but for all our wealth, we have, amongst all nations, the largest percentage of our population in prisons.

Drugs, illegal and prescription, are common. We buy, resell and use and  that creates crime on the streets, in people's neighborhoods.

Real rehabilitation is typically more available for the wealthy and well insured. The building and administration of prisons, then the probation business after, is often a private, for profit arrangement.

Where I live, I am hearing more and more that instead of "going by the book" or letting people go 'as is' but with a warning, that the cops are taking the drugs for themselves. Our last police chief, after 40 years as a cop, finally was so blatant that he's in jail today. Unusual that he got caught and convicted.

No, we're not that different under the surface of money and material appearance. The perception people overseas get from the movies and TV is far from reality, but they often don't 'get it'.
Yes and nobody does school shootings like the USA either. In fact, they're unheard of in Colombia....

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
  • Spouse's Country: The Philippines
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2018, 10:48:19 AM »

The reason most of us go to Colombia is actually counterintuitive with respect to our big picture goal. We go to Colombia because the women are so beautiful, but what we ultimately want is a good wife. From my experience the most beautiful women I've met aren't the best to be in a relationship with. The best you can hope for there is finding a happy medium. My advice to men is to leave them down there and find a way to make living in country. The culture makes women what they are there. Look at what the culture has made women into in the U.S. You bring her back here and she's going to change...and usually not for the best.

"Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans"
Whether you think you can or think you can't--you're right!

Offline Calipro

« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2018, 05:52:01 PM »
This is the best blog I have found on Medellin or Colombia for that matter.

https://medellinguru.com/

This guy teaches me things I never knew about Medellin.

I never knew Virgin mobile sold prepaid plans that use the movistar network until I read this guys blog.

And the Starbucks in Laureles is one of the nicest Starbucks you will ever set foot in on this planet.

Also never knew that Colombia doesn't charge an IVA on computers until they go over a certain price.
Good to know if you think you are going to save money buying a computer in the States.

I learn something knew on almost every article this guy writes.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 12:22:12 AM by Calipro »

Offline Hector_Lavoe

« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2018, 08:22:46 AM »
Yes and nobody does school shootings like the USA either. In fact, they're unheard of in Colombia....

I am not endorsing UC's rather dark vision of Colombia but: while Colombia has come a long way in the last 20/25 years it is still a long way from Disneyland.

The 2017 national homicide rate in Colombia: 24 per 100,000
The 2016 national homicide rate for USA: 5.3 per 100,000

And the USA's murder rate is high compared to western Europe, Canada, Australia, etc. Still way below Colombia.

https://www.insightcrime.org/news/analysis/2017-homicide-round-up/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_the_United_States

Offline Hector_Lavoe

« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2018, 08:47:54 AM »
Economists use something called the "GINI Coefficient or Index" to measure income inequality in a country. A score of 1 = absolute inequality while a score of 0 = absolute equality.

Latin America remains one of the most unequal in the world and Colombia historically has been one of the most unequal countries in Latin America. 

The Gini Coefficient in 2016:
-Colombia: 0.501
-USA:  0.415

The measure for countries like Denmark, Sweden, Canada, etc. range from about 0.25 to 0.32.

If you are middle class from the U.S., Europe, Canada or Australia, etc. then Colombia is a great place to take your disposable income.

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/SIPOVGINICOL

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/SIPOVGINIUSA?utm_source=series_page&utm_medium=related_content&utm_term=related_resources&utm_campaign=categories

http://www.oecd.org/social/income-distribution-database.htm

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2018, 08:47:54 AM »

Offline Elexpatriado

« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2018, 09:23:29 AM »
Economists use something called the "GINI Coefficient or Index" to measure income inequality in a country. A score of 1 = absolute inequality while a score of 0 = absolute equality.

Latin America remains one of the most unequal in the world and Colombia historically has been one of the most unequal countries in Latin America. 

The Gini Coefficient in 2016:
-Colombia: 0.501
-USA:  0.415

The measure for countries like Denmark, Sweden, Canada, etc. range from about 0.25 to 0.32.

If you are middle class from the U.S., Europe, Canada or Australia, etc. then Colombia is a great place to take your disposable income.

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/SIPOVGINICOL

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/SIPOVGINIUSA?utm_source=series_page&utm_medium=related_content&utm_term=related_resources&utm_campaign=categories

http://www.oecd.org/social/income-distribution-database.htm

In the case of Canadá vs the US it is just because there are so many super rich in the US. Get rid of them and it is about the same.

On the other hand, Venezuela has a GINI of 0 because everyone is equal and has noting

Offline Elexpatriado

« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2018, 09:32:51 AM »
Anyone who lives in Colombia eventually learns to block out the dismal display of poverty that is everywhere. The people who don't live there like me and my children are appalled by it. After a couple of weeks it gets really depressing and you just want to leave and never come back. I have spent way more time in Colombia than the place deserves. I wish that I had spent equal amounts of time in places like Chile and Argentina. In Uruguay you seldom are hit in the face by poverty the way you see it constantly in Colombia.

Yes, there is beauty in Colombia like the mountains near Santa Marta that we hiked through for five days to get to and from the Lost City but for all their posturing, hardly any Colombians ever see it. The vast majority of the people there are not from Colombia. When Colombians babble about what they love about their country, it frequently comes down to drinking, drugs and partying. The whole country is a case of arrested development. Party on Wayne!

This is what Colombia is to me:

A girl from a refugee family basically sold to an old man who takes care of my mother-in-law's finca and then eats rat poison to escape her dismal dead end life.

A guy married to his own aunt and everyone acts like this is perfectly normal.

A young woman whose father is killed by Escobar's gang members because he refuses to play ball with them. Later as a waitress at the airport restaurant she has to serve one of the gang's bosses and sit down and keep him company at the table while he eats.

A teenage boy answers the door and is shot and killed at point blank range by a sicario. It turns out later the sicario meant to kill the guy who lived next door. So hard to keep the addresses straight.

I could go on and on. Yeah [snip] happens everywhere but in Colombia it's a way of life that never changes.

I think you are hanging around with the wrong people in Colombia UC.
I stil love Colombia..warts and all.

I have seem some pretty sad and disturbing things myself in Colombia as well
The latest thing are all the Venezuelans coming in with nothing..Hardy any more than the clothes on their back.

You can see them in the hundreds on the road between Cucuta and Buccaramanga. With all their posessions on their back. Some with little kids and even babies. Not enough money for bus fare.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 01:14:55 PM by Elexpatriado »

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5871
Latest: ponttbryr
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 133128
Total Topics: 7864