It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: U.S News Reports top retirement destinations-Medellin Colombia No. 1  (Read 47819 times)

Offline Chris F

• Spouse's Country: Peru
  • Trips: > 10

Offline Awesome

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: 1 - 3
Re: U.S News Reports top retirement destinations-Medellin Colombia No. 1
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2015, 09:02:55 PM »
Come on dude.  Nowhere in that article do I see it saying that medellin is the no. 1 top retirement destination.  Did you even read the article?

Offline utopiacowboy

• Spouse's Country: Colombia
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2015, 12:04:40 AM »
Where is Mudd to come along with some anti-Medellin slurs? Don't disappoint me, dude.

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2015, 12:04:40 AM »

Offline bernard

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2015, 04:53:46 AM »
Come on dude.  Nowhere in that article do I see it saying that medellin is the no. 1 top retirement destination.  Did you even read the article?

Hey, cut him some slack, he's a teacher. Smh

Yes, the article just provided some EXAMPLES of retirement destinations.

Offline mudd

• Commercial Member
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2015, 07:48:35 AM »
 :o  lol i find it laughable that medellin would even be in the top 50, with all the cities in the world, come on  ::) . once you get out of poblado and envigado, its not that great. try living in itagui, robledo, manrique, and some other neighborhoods.  even san diego ca, nice city but many areas that are horrible.

Offline Kiltboy1

• She Loves What's Under The Kilt
  • Spouse's Country: Other Latin America
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2015, 08:08:04 AM »
:o  lol i find it laughable that medellin would even be in the top 50, with all the cities in the world, come on  ::) . once you get out of poblado and envigado, its not that great. try living in itagui, robledo, manrique, and some other neighborhoods.  even san diego ca, nice city but many areas that are horrible.

I do not really have a dog in this hunt but since I have been to Medellin a few times I would have to agree with Mudd. After you get out of the tourist areas I felt a constant need to look over my shoulder to make sure I was not being followed.I suppose you could say that about many third world cities but I did not feel too comfortable at times so to retire there I could not see a typical American couple doing that and feeling very safe and since these type of articles are mostly geared toward couples retiring and not dudes looking for chicas, Medellin just would not be a great choice.

But that being said the climate was spectacular and infrastructure very good with the metro. Outside of the Ladies  there just was not much to do there compared to other cities I traveled to.

KB
She Loves What's Under The Kilt !

Viva Ecuador !

Offline utopiacowboy

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2015, 09:22:18 AM »

I knew I could count on you!

Anyone who thinks Medellin is unique in this regard should travel by bus between Colombian cities. Miles of slums in Barranquilla, Cartagena, Santa Marta. And the countryside is not much better.  After spending a couple of weeks travelling around Colombia by bus a few years ago, I just got so tired of seeing the poverty. And to make matters worse, there was an election going on and none of the candidates were interested in doing anything to improve the lives of millions of Colombians, just out to line their pockets and those of their cronies. It made me want to join the FARC.

Offline Elexpatriado

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2015, 09:37:07 AM »
i am happy in Manizales :).The weather sucks sometimes, bit apart from that ,great place.

It is still Colombia.Have to use your common sense anywhere.

many interesting places in Latín América I would like to visit and could potentially live. Bucaramanga Colombia ,Cochabamba Bolivia ,Mendoza Argentina. i might go
To Bariloche Argentina to ski..we'll ser how that goes

Offline bcc_1_2

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2015, 10:23:03 AM »
Retirement for a single guy or a couple? That question right there makes a huge difference.
Retiring in Tela, Honduras is 14,600 days (haha)

Gato4Astrid

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2015, 10:27:45 AM »
Got to be fooking kidding me!  Medellin ??!!!!

Offline benjio

• Spouse's Country: Brazil
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2015, 11:39:32 AM »
i am happy in Manizales :) .The weather sucks sometimes, bit apart from that ,great place.

Been meaning to ask you about that. I'm surprised you chose Mani over Pereira. Pereira's only an hour away, the weather's better on average and the city had a lot more to offer in terms of things to do. I especially like the Dosquebradas Area. If I'm remembering correctly Pereira was also a little cheaper than Manizales. I could see if you were in Mani chasing a bunch of university girls but you're not even interested in the young meat.

Offline Awesome

• Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2015, 12:53:43 PM »
I could see if you were in Mani chasing a bunch of university girls but you're not even interested in the young meat.

Expat(age 58) is currently dating a 20 year old jaja!!!

Offline Elexpatriado

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2015, 01:52:59 PM »

Been meaning to ask you about that. I'm surprised you chose Mani over Pereira. Pereira's only an hour away, the weather's better on average and the city had a lot more to offer in terms of things to do. I especially like the Dosquebradas Area. If I'm remembering correctly Pereira was also a little cheaper than Manizales. I could see if you were in Mani chasing a bunch of university girls but you're not even interested in the young meat.

To each his owm man. i like mountains and hills. i am not intó big cities. i can find enough yo do and like you say Pereira only an hora a way. aesthetically Manizales is way prettier. when I was younger I dreamed of retiring in Nelson British Columbia. look that up on the web. now full of hippies.

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2015, 01:52:59 PM »

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
  • Spouse's Country: The Philippines
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2015, 03:51:22 PM »
You know what they say about 'opinions'--last week, The Wall Street Journal ran an article headed "Some Like It Hotter" it went on and on along the lines of: 'Tired of the been there, done that Caribbean? Cartagena is every discerning traveler's favorite new hashtag'.

Among other things it went on and on, saying that Cartagena de Indias is the "Country's favorite city" and how the most connected, (President Santos) as well as the 'jet set' from Brazil and many other places have homes there, for 'the best party in the tropics'. Right up there w/ Spain's Ibiza, they claim...

I guess if you party hard enough and are a land lubber, the mediocre beaches with their gray sand and murky water don't bother you

Maybe we'll book the Casa San Agustin, and a table at El Boliche, after hopping on a direct flight on JetBlue. Off shore, Agua Baru sounds pretty $wank too. From what I've read, I think we'd probably prefer Rosario Islands National Park, speaking of off shore.
Whether you think you can or think you can't--you're right!

Offline benjio

• Spouse's Country: Brazil
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2015, 03:59:18 PM »

Expat(age 58) is currently dating a 20 year old jaja!!!

Oh...I stand corrected.  ;D

Offline Hector_Lavoe

• Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2015, 08:20:20 PM »
The article has some prices for condos in each city it profiles. I find it hard to believe $180,000 US dollars will get you a 2 bedroom condo in a good neighborhood with an ocean view in Barcelona.  I know Spain got hit hard by the property bubble and the U.S. dollar has risen but that seems really cheap for Barcelona.

The articles also says a 1,400 square foot apartment in Medellin's El Poblado neighborhood can be bought for just $137,000. 

I am guessing that is an older building? One that would fall to the ground in the event of a big earthquake (I know even the new buildings are questionable).
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 08:22:50 PM by Hector_Lavoe »

Offline bcc_1_2

Offline utopiacowboy

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2015, 10:03:09 PM »
http://www.bajainvestment.com/Rosarito/Baja_California/Condos/Plaza_Del_Mar/Agent/Listing_5629082.html

http://www.bajainvestment.com/Listing/ViewListingPhotos.aspx?BackEmailTypeID=NONE&ListingID=133230953

http://www.bajainvestment.com/Playas_de_Rosarito/Baja_California/Condos/Playa_Encantada/Agent/Listing_153734040.html

For me... Mexico is the best value around. Good food, good service, reasonably priced condos right on the water.

Not to mention gun battles in the streets between rival gangs and bodies dumped indiscriminately. I think I will pass. Google Rosarito violence and see what you come up with. It makes Medellin look good.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 10:04:50 PM by utopiacowboy »

Offline bcc_1_2

« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2015, 10:09:43 PM »

Not to mention gun battles in the streets between rival gangs and bodies dumped indiscriminately. I think I will pass. Google Rosarito violence and see what you come up with. It makes Medellin look good.

I know Juarez is taking a sad turn recently, but I thought despite a couple of high profile headlines... Rosarito was back to normal.

Offline JamesDonut

• Spouse's Country: The Philippines
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2015, 07:33:41 AM »
The article has some prices for condos in each city it profiles. I find it hard to believe $180,000 US dollars will get you a 2 bedroom condo in a good neighborhood with an ocean view in Barcelona.  I know Spain got hit hard by the property bubble and the U.S. dollar has risen but that seems really cheap for Barcelona.

The price of this condo isn't surprising at all.  The recession hit Spain, especially Barcelona, really hard.   In Spain they call it "la crisis."   It is mentioned everyday in the news and shows still .  Especially the overpriced Real Estate market was hit hard.  If you thought that the Real Estate market in the US was in a bubble, in Barcelona much more so. 

But I was surprised that Barcelona made the list for retirement. Just for the price alone.  Although like the saying goes "You get what you pay for," is very true in this case.  Barcelona is a first world destination.  The things surrounding you are history, culture and art.  Definitely not the slums of Medellin.

My question is, how nice is the condo for $180,000?  I don't doubt it would be in a good neighborhood.  Since the vast majority of the city is nice.  But you would want to really check everything out before making the purchase.

When I was there (2008-2010) the dollar was only $.66 to 1€.  Today it is 0.91 to 1€.  ($.95 a week ago)   They say within a few months the dollar will be even or eclipse the Euro in value.  The overvalued Euro was a major factor in the high cost of Barcelona. 

For those who are willing to purchase a place to live and  have at least $1500 a month to live on, Barcelona is a great place to retire.  But it would be smart before jumping in, to monitor the Dollar to see if it can stay strong long term. 
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 07:37:01 AM by JamesDonut »
Revel In the Past, Party In the Present, Save Donuts for the Future.

Offline John W

« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2015, 07:27:30 PM »
I've only been to Medellin twice, but I really liked the city.  I still do not understand why so many people bash Medellin and Paisas on this site.  Medellin has great weather, lots of things to see and do, and there are tons of attractive, normal women who would never dream of working in the sex industry.  I think there is little bit of truth to the Paisas' contention that they are among Colombia's most industrious and business minded people.  Also, Poblado is not a bad place, especially if you travel outside of the few square blocks where all the restaurants and bars are located.  There are very nice apartments in Poblado and the surrounding neighborhoods.  The Park10 Hotel in Poblado is one of my favorite hotels. 

When people talk about women going to Panama to "work" or hanging out with sex tourists, that probably represents less than 1 or 2% of the young female population in Medellin.  The same sort of things happen with a similar small percentage of women here in the US.  I would agree that like every big city in Colombia, Medellin has lots of slums and poor neighborhoods that should be avoided by most American travelers, but there are plenty of nice places to stay outside of Ploblado and plenty of women to meet.  Some people on this board listen to a few naysayers and think that the information on this board is all inclusive information about whatever city is the current topic of conversation.  With some Spanish skills and average social skills, most Colombian cities offer the average American male good opportunities to travel and meet good people, including some very attractive women. 
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 08:20:41 PM by John W »

Offline utopiacowboy

« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2015, 09:57:13 PM »
I've only been to Medellin twice, but I really liked the city.  I still do not understand why so many people bash Medellin and Paisas on this site.  Medellin has great weather, lots of things to see and do, and there are tons of attractive, normal women who would never dream of working in the sex industry.  I think there is little bit of truth to the Paisas' contention that they are among Colombia's most industrious and business minded people.  Also, Poblado is not a bad place, especially if you travel outside of the few square blocks where all the restaurants and bars are located.  There are very nice apartments in Poblado and the surrounding neighborhoods.  The Park10 Hotel in Poblado is one of my favorite hotels. 

When people talk about women going to Panama to "work" or hanging out with sex tourists, that probably represents less than 1 or 2% of the young female population in Medellin.  The same sort of things happen with a similar small percentage of women here in the US.  I would agree that like every big city in Colombia, Medellin has lots of slums and poor neighborhoods that should be avoided by most American travelers, but there are plenty of nice places to stay outside of Ploblado and plenty of women to meet.  Some people on this board listen to a few naysayers and think that the information on this board is all inclusive information about whatever city is the current topic of conversation.  With some Spanish skills and average social skills, most Colombian cities offer the average American male good opportunities to travel and meet good people, including some very attractive women.

Dude, you are the anti-Mudd. Personally I love Medellin and the Paisas both but I think there are very few gringos who have the cajones to handle either of them.

Offline Elexpatriado

« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2015, 07:36:29 AM »
Good-keep telling them that stuff until Medellin is even more overflowing with Gringos and ends up like Cabo San Lucas and Mazatlan.. Personally, I dont care. Just keep them out of the Eje Cafetero.
By the way-the  people are  Paisas here too.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 12:42:41 PM by Elexpatriado »

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2015, 07:36:29 AM »

Offline Elexpatriado

« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2015, 07:44:47 AM »
So why are you living in San Anonio then? Have you ever lived in a developing country, other than a few months on vacation? Its quite a different experince actually living permanently somewhere.
Not saying there is anything wrong with Medellin, just not my favourite place in Colombia. Everyone has different tastes.Better than Bogota or Cali, and way better than Baranquilla or Monteria or Cucuta, thats for sure.

Dude, you are the anti-Mudd. Personally I love Medellin and the Paisas both but I think there are very few gringos who have the cajones to handle either of them.

Offline utopiacowboy

« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2015, 08:59:32 AM »
So why are you living in San Anonio then? Have you ever lived in a developing country, other than a few months on vacation? Its quite a different experince actually living permanently somewhere.
Not saying there is anything wrong with Medellin, just not my favourite place in Colombia. Everyone has different tastes.Better than Bogota or Cali, and way better than Baranquilla or Monteria or Cucuta, thats for sure.

I only have a short while longer in San Antonio. I would live in Uruguay in a heartbeat except it is too far from my kids and grandkids. As fond as I am of Medellin and its people I would never live there. Eventually something will happen to you - it is just a question of time.

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5876
Latest: ponttfsch
New This Month: 4
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 133129
Total Topics: 7864
Most Online Today: 108