It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: Hello - Returning from a multi-year hiatus  (Read 6468 times)

Offline Powerlifter

• Spouse's Country: Colombia
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Hello - Returning from a multi-year hiatus
« on: August 04, 2015, 04:07:28 AM »
My name is Mike, and I used to follow this site frequently about 10 years ago.  Divorced from my former-USSR wife about 2 years ago and now I am communicating with a very nice woman from Brazil.  I am headed to Bahia in 3 weeks, and this will be my fifth trip to Brazil.  I really love the country and the lifestyle there, and I would be interested in the experiences that other members have had there.

BTW, I met the woman who I am seeing on Brazil Cupid, and I had very good success on that site in meeting quality women.  Of course, there were some scammers and green card hunters as well.  Just my experience.

I have never been to Colombia, but I would love to visit there before I get serious with another woman.

Good luck to all!
I found the girl for me - engaged!

Offline fathertime

• Trips: > 10
Re: Hello - Returning from a multi-year hiatus
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2015, 04:24:58 PM »
Welcome back Powerlifter!  I don't know much about Brazil, but hope you will post your on the ground experiences there.  Do you speak Portuguese? 

Fathertime!   
09/08 saw morena goddess on Jamie's website
09/08Began writing/webcamming future wife
10/08Visited BAQ to meet future wife
12/08 Visited a second time and got engaged
01/09 Visa Paperwork done(williamIII)
02/09quickvisit BAQ
08/09Wife arrives
09/09Got married
11/10 son born

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
  • Spouse's Country: The Philippines
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 08:44:05 PM »
My name is Mike, and I used to follow this site frequently about 10 years ago.  Divorced from my former-USSR wife about 2 years ago and now I am communicating with a very nice woman from Brazil.  I am headed to Bahia in 3 weeks, and this will be my fifth trip to Brazil.  I really love the country and the lifestyle there, and I would be interested in the experiences that other members have had there.

BTW, I met the woman who I am seeing on Brazil Cupid, and I had very good success on that site in meeting quality women.  Of course, there were some scammers and green card hunters as well.  Just my experience.

I have never been to Colombia, but I would love to visit there before I get serious with another woman.

Good luck to all!

Way to go--keep getting back on the horse and 'in the saddle'! ;)

"You miss a 100% of the shots you DON'T take"
Whether you think you can or think you can't--you're right!

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 08:44:05 PM »

Offline Powerlifter

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2015, 12:42:32 PM »
I am either an eternal optimist or a glutton for punishment or both.  Actually, although I am now divorced from my ex-wife, she is a high quality person and I am not too badly damaged from the experience to prevent me from venturing into the wild again.

I actually am now ok in portuguese and I have no reservations about traveling around in Brazil.  I can speak better than I can comprehend, especially when native speakers are using slang or speaking quickly.

My upcoming trip will be my 5th in 7 years to Brazil.   I am scouting for potential places to live when I retire. I have not yet visited the south of Brazil,  which is supposed to be cleaner and safer and wealthier and more European.   But I sort of enjoy the edginess of the northeast and the beaches.

I will be visiting the resort town of Porto Seguro in the state of Bahia, and I will definately post a trip report after I return.

Offline benjio

• Spouse's Country: Brazil
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2015, 06:02:04 PM »
PL,

Bahia's a great choice and you'll really enjoy Porto Seguro. One of my favorite places in Brazil. Beautiful beaches, great seafood and kind people. I've heard Will Smith keeps a vacation house down there. If your Portuguese is at a minimal conversational level, as you know, you shouldn't have any problems. Brazilians are generally very patient with people that don't speak their native language perfectly. I also think you're doing the right thing by staying away from the South. Plenty of gorgeous, single hotties walking around but any edge you may have as a foreigner or the allure of a life in the U.S. almost completely disapears. Even most of the poor women in Southern Brazil are content with where they are and how they live.

I'll be looking forward to your trip report. Best of luck in paradise!  8) [size=78%] [/size]

Offline Powerlifter

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2015, 05:13:54 AM »
Thanks for the tips, benjio.  As I mentioned previously, this trip is going to be my 5th.  Previously, I first visited Rio & Buzios, then Fortaleza & Jericoaracoaro (an amazing place on the northern coast!), then to Recife & Porto de Galhinas (which is rated as one of the best beaches in Brazil), and my last trip was to Imperatriz, Maranhao (a non-resort, semi industrial-semi agricultural city as the edge of the Amazon region. where the girl I am seeing lives - I am meeting her in Porto Seguro for a week.)

About Porto Seguro, I perhaps made one mistake in that the hotel resort that I will be staying is pretty new and upscale and very affordable and near the beach, but is located about 14-15 miles outside the main city.  Most of the hotels close to the city were either much older and a bit tired, or located away from the beach, according to the reviews that I read.  I should have done a bit more checking on this fact, but a cab is always available and this is not a big deal to me.  And I have had mixed experiences staying in small pousadas.  Here is a link to the website of the hotel: 
http://www.expedia.com/Porto-Seguro-Hotels-Costa-Brasilis-Resort.h1145760.Hotel-Information?regionid=23&semcid=13172-1&regionid=23&kword=Brazil_DSA!e.ZzZz.3280001426420.0.75516358758._cat%3Abrazil%23inurl%3Ahotel-information.brazil_dsa&gclid=CN_Cye7tm8cCFZKRHwod77YLtQ

I agree that Brazilians are VERY patient with my modest Portuguese skills, they really seem to appreciate that a gringo is trying to speak their language rather than to try to speak English or Spanish to them. 

In each trip, I always have arranged to see a woman with whom I have had previous communications.  I understand that this is considered by some to be a mistake because you might find yourself trapped with a woman who you do not like in person (or you can't stand at all!) for a week.  And that has happened a couple of times.  This is the first time that I am making a repeat visit, and she obviously hopes to make this permanent.  I am not there yet, but I think that this week will help.  I am considering to bring her here on a student visa to study English, which will give us more time to know each other that the standard fiancé visa. 

About the girl I am seeing, she is 32, never married, no kids, no English skills at all, employed, from a poor home, and lives with her family.  She is not excessively beautiful, but she is is very attractive for me, and she is thin but curvy (which I like) but much thinner than is the preference of Brazilian men, meaning that she does not have the huge bumbum!  From a bad experience before meeting her, I know to avoid Brazilian women who are from poor families and yet manage to live alone in large cities and have acquired English skills - they are almost always working pros.

Again, I will post a trip report when I return after September 1.  I am looking forward to this!
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 05:17:56 AM by Powerlifter »

Offline benjio

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2015, 10:09:29 AM »
I know to avoid Brazilian women who are from poor families and yet manage to live alone in large cities and have acquired English skills - they are almost always working pros.

LMAO!!! Man you have no idea how many gringos I've told this but they very rarely listen.

Offline Hector_Lavoe

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2015, 11:50:23 PM »
Looking forward to your trip report Powerlifter. I am a "novice" on Brazil having only been once and that was just to Rio. There used to be guy that posted here who was big on Brazil (Brazilophile or something was his handle). Of course, Benjio lives there.

While in Rio I met a girl from Bahia and she showed some nice photos of the beaches up there. Beautiful stuff. And Gilberto Gil is from Bahia so what more can you say.....

Offline Powerlifter

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2015, 03:43:35 AM »
Benjio,

What part of Brazil do you live in?  How do you like the life there?  I am really intrigued at the idea of retiring to Brazil (or perhaps another Latin American county - but Brazil is my first choice) in about 5 years or so.  One of my concerns is how expensive everything seemed to be there, although the recent increase of value of the dollar vs. the real may lessen that somewhat.   (Last year when I was in Imperatriz, Maranhao, the dollar was about $1 to R$2.20, as of today the exchange is about R$3.50.

When I visited Rio, the prices are comparable to (or higher!) NYC in many respects.  And when you visit a tourist/resort area, you pretty much expect to pay tourist prices.  But I was shocked at how expensive things like modest restaurants and hotels were in a non-tourist city like Imperatriz.  I really do not understand how the average Brazilian is making ends meet.

Are you working there or do you have a business there?  What are the impediments to doing business in Brazil, from your perspective?  What is the business climate like there these days?  Any input is appreciated, obrigado!

Mike

Offline benjio

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2015, 09:20:26 AM »
Benjio,

What part of Brazil do you live in?  How do you like the life there?  I am really intrigued at the idea of retiring to Brazil (or perhaps another Latin American county - but Brazil is my first choice) in about 5 years or so.  One of my concerns is how expensive everything seemed to be there, although the recent increase of value of the dollar vs. the real may lessen that somewhat.   (Last year when I was in Imperatriz, Maranhao, the dollar was about $1 to R$2.20, as of today the exchange is about R$3.50.

When I visited Rio, the prices are comparable to (or higher!) NYC in many respects.  And when you visit a tourist/resort area, you pretty much expect to pay tourist prices.  But I was shocked at how expensive things like modest restaurants and hotels were in a non-tourist city like Imperatriz.  I really do not understand how the average Brazilian is making ends meet.

Are you working there or do you have a business there?  What are the impediments to doing business in Brazil, from your perspective?  What is the business climate like there these days?  Any input is appreciated, obrigado!

Mike

I've lived in Rio de Janeiro for the past 2 1/2 years and I've been coming here on business trips for at least the last 4 years. At first, as a born and raised Texan, I was very resistent to adjusting to life here but now I wish I wasn't moving back to the states. The south of Brazil is very different from any other part so I don't think anyone can have an all-encompassing opinion on what it's like living in Brazil as a whole. The country is entirely too culturally and regionally diverse. I've traveled all over and I prefer the northeast, but I know Americans living there that have legitimate gripes and wish they lived in a more modern city like Rio or Sao Paulo. It all depends on the person really.

The Zona Sul of Rio is definitely comparable to Manhattan in terms of living costs but Rio is a huge city. As I said before it all depends on what your idea of living comfortably is. I live in one of the most expensive neighborhoods in Rio because of safety issues. My company only allowed me to rent an apartment in certain parts of the city. But I know Americans that have lived up in favelas for years with their wives and families who are perfectly happy and consider it safer than where I live (theives don't rob from the poor in their own neighborhoods...they travel to the rich parts of town to do it). Their cost of living is literallly 1/5 of mine and that's a single man living alone compared to a family of 4!

I was moved here as an expat working for an oil outfit. If I were you, if you're planning on retiring here, do just that. Don't come to Brazil trying to be the next big entrepreneur. I've seen too many Americans lose their shirts doing that. Guys come down here and fall in love with the idea of the country while not knowing or completely ignoring the reality of what it's like to do business here. If I were you I'd get a hobby like fishing or ecotourism and enjoy my retirement. Trying to run a successful business here will only drive you to the grave faster.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 09:21:59 AM by benjio »

Offline Powerlifter

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2015, 04:55:09 AM »
Thanks for the reply, Benjio.  I was not thinking of trying to set the world on fire there; rather, I was thinking of perhaps teaching English or something along those lines.  No intention of trying to get rich there, just to keep busy without creating too much stress, and perhaps offset some living expenses. 

I know several Portuguese-American businessmen based here in NJ who have made substantial hotel and residential development investments in the Fortaleza area when things were booming there a few years ago, particularly around the smaller resort villages (like Canoa Quebrada) - definitely not what I am looking to do!

Offline Powerlifter

Re: Hello
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2017, 06:22:07 AM »
I thought that I would post to update my status.  I am not here often, but perhaps my experiences may be of help to someone else here who has serious intentions.

When I last posted here in August 2015, I was heading for Porto Seguro to spend a vacation with my Brazilian girlfriend.  To be candid, the positive chemistry that we had created during our first visit just wasn't there on the second visit, and I began to feel like her primary motivation was a ticket to the USA.  After I returned from Brazil, she was really pushing for me to start the fiancé paperwork and I just decided to call it quits.

Around December, 2015, I am on Facebook and I get one of those "people you may know' links with a number of FB profiles who are friends of friends or who seem to randomly appear based on some secret FB formula, haha!  This girl's profile pops up, can't be real, way too hot!  But just for sh*ts and giggles, I send a friend request and a brief message in Spanish.  Amazing, she accepts and responds to the message. She's from Medellin, mid 30's, never married, no kids, lives with her family, understands English well but speaks very little (I probably speak more Spanish than she speaks English, but she understands everything that I say to her, much better than I understand her Spanish to me.)  So we start corresponding, Skype conversations, emails.  Around a year ago, during Valentine's Day 2016, I take the plunge to visit her in Medellin.  I knew within 5 minutes that this girl was probably going the The One. 

Fast forward, I have visited Medellin two more times.  I have no doubts about her in spite of the distance.  We talk every day in the morning and evening.  I have spent time with her family, her mother and father and her two brothers, they are all really nice people.  She is super sweet, super conservative in public, a little crazy in the right amounts, super jealous (like most Latinas), fun with a terrific sense of humor, and an all-around great person.  Interesting, my girl is extremely photogenic, but in person she is very cute but doesn't really stand out from other Paisas very much.

Well, that is my follow-up story.  Things didn't really go as originally planned, but in the end, have turned out better.  I suppose that I owe a word of thanks to Facebook boy Zuckerberg, go figure!  So my advice to all who are pursuing a serious relationship, FWIW, I guess that I would say to leave yourself open to new connections and do not try to plan things out too much.  You never really know where you might meet the right girl.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 06:25:08 AM by Powerlifter »

Offline utopiacowboy

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2017, 09:08:59 AM »
Good story and I am glad that it worked out for you in Medellin of all places. It has a very poor reputation but I love the city and its women.

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2017, 09:08:59 AM »

Offline urdream

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2017, 11:18:14 AM »
The woman you found is the one in your profile pic?

Offline benjio

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2017, 11:25:48 AM »
I guess that I would say to leave yourself open to new connections and do not try to plan things out too much.  You never really know where you might meet the right girl.

Good advice. Too many men go into foreign dating prioritizing the destination over the journey. Those that don't take the process too seriously, have a short memory and are willing to keep an open mind usually find exactly what they are looking for. Sometimes that's a woman from another country. Sometimes it's the realization that women from other cultures aren't for you after all. IMHO the best method is to take your time and let nature take it's course. Forcing things only leads to them breaking.

Gato4Astrid

« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2017, 12:47:08 PM »
I get many 'interests' from Brazilian women in Latin American Cupid, but I have always avoid them - mainly because I do not speak Portuguese at all - and would not want to start all over again.   I am happy with my Spanish.    However, I decided to communicate with a lady last week - from the same cupid site.   I used translator back and forth LOL.  Anyway, after 2 hours of exchanging words, she started asking me for money!!!  (WTF).  I made an excuse that I do not go there (Western Union) until 'next Friday'.  She immediately called me selfish!   She wrote that she hate selfish men and men who aren't details !!!   WTF!!  lol    So, I decided not to do Brazilian women again !!

By the way, best of luck with whoever you are looking for.....

« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 12:50:01 PM by Gato4Astrid »

Offline fathertime

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2017, 08:08:08 AM »
I thought that I would post to update my status.  I am not here often, but perhaps my experiences may be of help to someone else here who has serious intentions.

When I last posted here in August 2015, I was heading for Porto Seguro to spend a vacation with my Brazilian girlfriend.  To be candid, the positive chemistry that we had created during our first visit just wasn't there on the second visit, and I began to feel like her primary motivation was a ticket to the USA.  After I returned from Brazil, she was really pushing for me to start the fiancé paperwork and I just decided to call it quits.

Around December, 2015, I am on Facebook and I get one of those "people you may know' links with a number of FB profiles who are friends of friends or who seem to randomly appear based on some secret FB formula, haha!  This girl's profile pops up, can't be real, way too hot!  But just for sh*ts and giggles, I send a friend request and a brief message in Spanish.  Amazing, she accepts and responds to the message. She's from Medellin, mid 30's, never married, no kids, lives with her family, understands English well but speaks very little (I probably speak more Spanish than she speaks English, but she understands everything that I say to her, much better than I understand her Spanish to me.)  So we start corresponding, Skype conversations, emails.  Around a year ago, during Valentine's Day 2016, I take the plunge to visit her in Medellin.  I knew within 5 minutes that this girl was probably going the The One. 

Fast forward, I have visited Medellin two more times.  I have no doubts about her in spite of the distance.  We talk every day in the morning and evening.  I have spent time with her family, her mother and father and her two brothers, they are all really nice people.  She is super sweet, super conservative in public, a little crazy in the right amounts, super jealous (like most Latinas), fun with a terrific sense of humor, and an all-around great person.  Interesting, my girl is extremely photogenic, but in person she is very cute but doesn't really stand out from other Paisas very much.

Well, that is my follow-up story.  Things didn't really go as originally planned, but in the end, have turned out better.  I suppose that I owe a word of thanks to Facebook boy Zuckerberg, go figure!  So my advice to all who are pursuing a serious relationship, FWIW, I guess that I would say to leave yourself open to new connections and do not try to plan things out too much.  You never really know where you might meet the right girl.

Thanks for the update!  Great looking lady.

Fathertime! 

09/08 saw morena goddess on Jamie's website
09/08Began writing/webcamming future wife
10/08Visited BAQ to meet future wife
12/08 Visited a second time and got engaged
01/09 Visa Paperwork done(williamIII)
02/09quickvisit BAQ
08/09Wife arrives
09/09Got married
11/10 son born

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats