It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: How often do International Airports shut down?!  (Read 5553 times)

Offline kai #2

• The Traveling Swordsman
  • Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: 4 - 10
How often do International Airports shut down?!
« on: July 21, 2014, 07:27:22 AM »
I bought my ticket going to Peru back in April, it was the perfect setup. New Years falls on a Thursday and I'll burn 1 extra day for Friday and have another weekend to have fun. 2 months later I get an email saying my flight was changed. I was supposed to return to DFW on January 4th which is on a Sunday. Instead I have to return on Monday or on a Saturday now. They told me that El Salvador Intl is closed that day! Who the hell decides to close an airport on some seemingly random day. They ruined my master plan! Is something that other people or experienced or is it just me.

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
  • Spouse's Country: The Philippines
Re: How often do International Airports shut down?!
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 08:33:44 AM »
Sounds odd. Checking here,  as well as other places,  seems in order. It might be the airline having overbooked or having some other issue and is covering with some excuse. I suppose if it's that small,  maybe construction,  but some one there should know or be able to find out specifics. I don't think even Islamic nations nations shut airports down on holy days. This sounds weird.
Whether you think you can or think you can't--you're right!

Offline kai #2

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 08:58:38 AM »
That's what I don't understand. All the flights leaving out that Sunday the 4th are all layed-over until Monday. Its bizzare

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 08:58:38 AM »

Offline robert angel

• Summer 18
  • Spouse's Country: The Philippines
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 10:02:32 AM »
That's what I don't understand. All the flights leaving out that Sunday the 4th are all layed-over until Monday. Its bizzare

Not much at line about the topic, surprisingly. Jorge Chávez International Airport  has occasionally been closed for bomb threats in the past--not the case here. Elsewhere, only thing I found in about ten minutes or so is that Bali International in Indonesia is closing March 31st, 2014 for Neyepi--their Hindu New Year. In a little bit of digging, little came up for Islamic holidays. Dubai is open during Eid Al-Fitr, which is probably their 1st or second most important holiday. Of course Peru is predominantly Christian.

""Mar 01, 2014
Those planning to travel to the fabled island of Bali towards the end of March, please note that the entire island will come to a complete standstill for the Balinese New Year of Nyepi which this year falls on Monday, 31st March 2014. To allow all to follow the prescribed rituals, all traffic all over Bali will come to a complete halt. No planes will be allowed to land or take off for 24 hours. All shops are closed and no one is allowed on the beach or on the streets.""

http://www.indonesia.travel/en/news/detail/1209/bali-international-airport-closed-for-nyepi-monday-31st-march-2014

IMO, Google's getting worse and worse for searches, often front loading the first several pages with irrelevant BS that's tied into their revenue stream more than it is for what you're searching. I think the best luck you might have in searching Google these days is to put as few words describing what you're seeking as possible, but make those few pertinent words, of course.
Whether you think you can or think you can't--you're right!

Offline kai #2

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2014, 10:12:03 AM »

Not much at line about the topic, surprisingly. Jorge Chávez International Airport  has occasionally been closed for bomb threats in the past--not the case here. Elsewhere, only thing I found in about ten minutes or so is that Bali International in Indonesia is closing March 31st, 2014 for Neyepi--their Hindu New Year. In a little bit of digging, little came up for Islamic holidays. Dubai is open during Eid Al-Fitr, which is probably their 1st or second most important holiday. Of course Peru is predominantly Christian.

""Mar 01, 2014
Those planning to travel to the fabled island of Bali towards the end of March, please note that the entire island will come to a complete standstill for the Balinese New Year of Nyepi which this year falls on Monday, 31st March 2014. To allow all to follow the prescribed rituals, all traffic all over Bali will come to a complete halt. No planes will be allowed to land or take off for 24 hours. All shops are closed and no one is allowed on the beach or on the streets.""

http://www.indonesia.travel/en/news/detail/1209/bali-international-airport-closed-for-nyepi-monday-31st-march-2014

IMO, Google's getting worse and worse for searches, often front loading the first several pages with irrelevant BS that's tied into their revenue stream more than it is for what you're searching. I think the best luck you might have in searching Google these days is to put as few words describing what you're seeking as possible, but make those few pertinent words, of course.

I called Avianca and got my flight changed free of charge but who the hell wants to fly back on a effing Saturday morning, seriously!

Offline Gavan

• Trips: > 10
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2014, 05:01:40 PM »
I bought my ticket going to Peru back in April

Kai, which parts of Peru will you be visiting?

Offline kai #2

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2014, 05:31:34 PM »

Cusco for a few days / Macchu Picchu and a few museums and then Lima for the for the remainder.

Kai, which parts of Peru will you be visiting?

Offline Gavan

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2014, 06:03:17 PM »
Cusco for a few days / Macchu Picchu and a few museums and then Lima for the for the remainder.

Oh,ok. Where in Lima will you be staying? Miraflores?

Will you be going just to travel or do you want to meet women as well?

You probably won't have enough time, but Northern Peru is also great. It isn't as popular with tourists but there is a lot to see and do there as well:

Trujillo + Huanchaco
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwxuWFReUWM

Chiclayo (Sipán museum, Pimentel beach)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzcQJ01NUlM

Piura + Mancora/Punta Sal/Zorritos (best beaches in Peru), etc.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6V8ojEhsh4
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 06:26:41 PM by Gavan »

Offline kai #2

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2014, 05:29:06 AM »

I plan on doing both. I sight see as much as I can talk to girls while I'm out and about. Then I go into night mode where I'll eat dinner and start drinking and talk to more girls lol. I'll be there for a some time though. After that though I'm going back to Ecuador though

Oh,ok. Where in Lima will you be staying? Miraflores?

Will you be going just to travel or do you want to meet women as well?

You probably won't have enough time, but Northern Peru is also great. It isn't as popular with tourists but there is a lot to see and do there as well:

Trujillo + Huanchaco
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwxuWFReUWM

Chiclayo (Sipán museum, Pimentel beach)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzcQJ01NUlM

Piura + Mancora/Punta Sal/Zorritos (best beaches in Peru), etc.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6V8ojEhsh4

Offline Gavan

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2014, 06:08:12 AM »
I plan on doing both. I sight see as much as I can talk to girls while I'm out and about. Then I go into night mode where I'll eat dinner and start drinking and talk to more girls lol. I'll be there for a some time though. After that though I'm going back to Ecuador though

If you decide to go to Trujillo, let me know and I can give you some recommendations on where to go (discos, restaurants, etc.) I think northern Peru is actually a better place to meet women than Cusco and the south.

In Lima you may also want to go to an area called San Miguel. Most tourists don't go there, but it is a lot cheaper than the upper class districts (Miraflores, Barranco, etc.) The area around Plaza San Miguel has a lot of great affordable restuarants and there are lots of discos there as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21fDU-IK_BM

Also, you may want to avoid the discos and bars at the Calle de las Pizzas in Miraflores. A lot of the women there are hookers and "bricheras" (gringo-hunting gold diggers).
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 06:14:48 AM by Gavan »

Offline kai #2

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2014, 06:50:19 AM »

I'm not going to Cusco so much to meet women as much I want to see the culture and sights, believe it or not not everything I do is centered around women lol. That's why I'm also going to Lima. Sight see, meet women and in general relax and enjoy what Peru has to offer. I'd go as long as those places you suggest aren't TOO out of the way, I'll be there for about 2 weeks minus the 2 or so days in Cusco. I haven't done a ton of research on Peru but how difficult can it be?

If you decide to go to Trujillo, let me know and I can give you some recommendations on where to go (discos, restaurants, etc.) I think northern Peru is actually a better place to meet women than Cusco and the south.

In Lima you may also want to go to an area called San Miguel. Most tourists don't go there, but it is a lot cheaper than the upper class districts (Miraflores, Barranco, etc.) The area around Plaza San Miguel has a lot of great affordable restuarants and there are lots of discos there as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21fDU-IK_BM

Also, you may want to avoid the discos and bars at the Calle de las Pizzas in Miraflores. A lot of the women there are hookers and "bricheras" (gringo-hunting gold diggers).

Offline Gavan

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2014, 07:07:43 AM »
I'm not going to Cusco so much to meet women as much I want to see the culture and sights, believe it or not not everything I do is centered around women lol. That's why I'm also going to Lima. Sight see, meet women and in general relax and enjoy what Peru has to offer. I'd go as long as those places you suggest aren't TOO out of the way, I'll be there for about 2 weeks minus the 2 or so days in Cusco. I haven't done a ton of research on Peru but how difficult can it be?

Lima to Trujillo takes about 8 hours by bus. The trip is actually a lot shorter than Lima-Cusco. You can also take a plane from Lima to Trujillo, but that will be a lot more expensive. From Trujillo you could then go to the other cities in the north. Trujillo-Chiclayo takes about 4 hours, Chiclayo-Piura is about the same. Mancora (where the beaches are) is about 2 hours away from Piura.

Offline kai #2

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2014, 07:15:33 AM »

good lord, I though you'd say an hour or 2. Quite frankly taking the bus is something I'm still terrified to do. I just don't feel as though my spanish is good enough to un-f*ck myself is something were to happen and I get lost or something. I study but I'm starting to think I'm not doing it right anymore :(

Lima to Trujillo takes about 8 hours by bus. The trip is actually a lot shorter than Lima-Cusco. You can also take a plane from Lima to Trujillo, but that will be a lot more expensive. From Trujillo you could then go to the other cities in the north. Trujillo-Chiclayo takes about 4 hours, Chiclayo-Piura is about the same. Mancora (where the beaches are) is about 2 hours away from Piura.

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2014, 07:15:33 AM »

Offline Gavan

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2014, 07:32:51 AM »
good lord, I though you'd say an hour or 2. Quite frankly taking the bus is something I'm still terrified to do. I just don't feel as though my spanish is good enough to un-f*ck myself is something were to happen and I get lost or something. I study but I'm starting to think I'm not doing it right anymore :(

It isn't that hard. Bus companies like Cruz del Sur are used to dealing with tourists who don't speak Spanish. If you travel on one of the reliable buses it is pretty much the same as traveling by plane. You just buy your ticket, get on the bus and get of once you arrive at your destination. The best buses in Peru are "buses cama", where you can recline your seat and sleep on it like in a bed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o59D7NPEwqk
http://www.cruzdelsur.com.pe/
http://www.transportesvia.com.pe/

If you travel at night, you can just sleep for the entire trip.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 07:58:26 AM by Gavan »

Offline kai #2

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2014, 08:13:41 AM »

8 hrs though. I look into it though but I don't think I'll have that much time to spare for such an endeavour.

It isn't that hard. Bus companies like Cruz del Sur are used to dealing with tourists who don't speak Spanish. If you travel on one of the reliable buses it is pretty much the same as traveling by plane. You just buy your ticket, get on the bus and get of once you arrive at your destination. The best buses in Peru are "buses cama", where you can recline your seat and sleep on it like in a bed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o59D7NPEwqk
http://www.cruzdelsur.com.pe/
http://www.transportesvia.com.pe/

If you travel at night, you can just sleep for the entire trip.

Offline Gavan

« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2014, 08:18:54 AM »
8 hrs though. I look into it though but I don't think I'll have that much time to spare for such an endeavour.

As I said, you can travel at night when you would be sleeping anyway. It sounds like a long trip, but it really isn't.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 08:25:05 AM by Gavan »

Offline Dan Las Vegas

• Spouse's Country: Colombia
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2014, 07:29:05 PM »
I've taken the bus from Lima to Trujillo in the night and in the day when I was  returning to Lima. The trip from lima to Trujillo took 10 hours, however the return trip only took 8.6. The bus was incredibly comfortable, they even had wifi on the bus, it was very slow but at least I could read and respond to emails.  A meal was served on the bus and they had plenty of water and soda to drink.  I took one of the better seats on the first floor of the bus, the air conditioner was much colder on the first floor.  The second floor the AC barely worked and it was hot!  I enjoyed the ride during the day and had a good time talking with the people taking the bus.  My Spanish was not very good but I didn't have any problems.  I've also flown from Lima to Trujillo and the ticket price was not too bad since I purchased it on short notice.  The bus is much much cheaper

Dan LV

Offline kai #2

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2014, 06:03:58 AM »

What was the price difference? Hundreds of dollars I'm sure

I've taken the bus from Lima to Trujillo in the night and in the day when I was  returning to Lima. The trip from lima to Trujillo took 10 hours, however the return trip only took 8.6. The bus was incredibly comfortable, they even had wifi on the bus, it was very slow but at least I could read and respond to emails.  A meal was served on the bus and they had plenty of water and soda to drink.  I took one of the better seats on the first floor of the bus, the air conditioner was much colder on the first floor.  The second floor the AC barely worked and it was hot!  I enjoyed the ride during the day and had a good time talking with the people taking the bus.  My Spanish was not very good but I didn't have any problems.  I've also flown from Lima to Trujillo and the ticket price was not too bad since I purchased it on short notice.  The bus is much much cheaper

Dan LV

Offline Gavan

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2014, 06:38:02 AM »

Dan LV

Sounds like you took a Cruz del Sur bus. Another great company is Via. Their buses are even more comfortable. http://www.transportesvia.com.pe/ Another good company to use is Ittsa (they are the cheapest) http://www.ittsabus.com/. I have never taken the plane from Lima to Trujillo, but I think the flight usually costs about $200- $250 (round trip). I think you can sometimes find cheaper offers though.

http://www.lan.com/en_us/sitio_personas/special-offers/be-dazzled-by-the-scenery-of-peru/fly-from-lima/index.html?otid=894743&s_cid=US_20140424_promociones_texto_within-peru

Offline kai #2

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2014, 06:40:58 AM »

That's not that bad. The only reason why I express 8 hrs is a lot is because I'm on limited time while I'm there so I'm trying to find the best and most efficient way to use that time is high on the importance list you know. Are Any activities or must see / to do's in in Lima?

Sounds like you took a Cruz del Sur bus. Another great company is Via. Their buses are even more comfortable. http://www.transportesvia.com.pe/ Another good company to use is Ittsa (they are the cheapest) http://www.ittsabus.com/. I have never taken the plane from Trujillo to Lima, but I think the flight usually costs about $200- $250 (round trip). I think you can sometimes find cheaper offers though.

http://www.lan.com/en_us/sitio_personas/special-offers/be-dazzled-by-the-scenery-of-peru/fly-from-lima/index.html?otid=894743&s_cid=US_20140424_promociones_texto_within-peru

Offline Gavan

« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2014, 07:23:14 AM »
Are Any activities or must see / to do's in in Lima?

Things to see and do in Lima:

Plaza de Armas
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTpy8LtwaBs

Larcomar: A mall with restuarants, discos, museum, etc.) Things are pretty expensive here though, so if you are looking for a cheaper place to eat and go to the movies, or go dancing, visit San Miguel. The most popular disco/club in Larcomar is called Aura. It is where the "pitucos" (upper middle class and upper class Peruvians)  hang out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxTb8qaEfJg
http://www.aura.com.pe/aura_larcomar/index.html

Barranco: an upscale disctrict. There are lots of discos/bars here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pWpYFF0zJE

Circuito Magico del Agua: A park full of special fountains and wáter-related shows. A great place to take a girl.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=si09OtqBf_4

San Miguel: middle class área with shopping malls, movie threater, lots of great restaurants and discos/bars. A lot cheaper than Miraflores/Barranco/San Isidro, but still safe. There is also a nice zoo there if you like that sort of thing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8pweLWWf5w
http://www.leyendas.gob.pe/index.php

Offline kai #2

« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2014, 07:34:25 AM »

Do you live there?

Things to see and do in Lima:

Plaza de Armas
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTpy8LtwaBs

Larcomar: A mall with restuarants, discos, museum, etc.) Things are pretty expensive here though, so if you are looking for a cheaper place to eat and go to the movies, or go dancing, visit San Miguel. The most popular disco/club in Larcomar is called Aura. It is where the "pitucos" (upper middle class and upper class Peruvians)  hang out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxTb8qaEfJg
http://www.aura.com.pe/aura_larcomar/index.html

Barranco: an upscale disctrict. There are lots of discos/bars here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pWpYFF0zJE

Circuito Magico del Agua: A park full of special fountains and wáter-related shows. A great place to take a girl.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=si09OtqBf_4

San Miguel: middle class área with shopping malls, movie threater, lots of great restaurants and discos/bars. A lot cheaper than Miraflores/Barranco/San Isidro, but still safe. There is also a nice zoo there if you like that sort of thing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8pweLWWf5w
http://www.leyendas.gob.pe/index.php

Offline Gavan

« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2014, 07:43:38 AM »
Do you live there?

I used to live in Trujillo (from 2008 to 2012). I never lived in Lima, but I have been there several times. I have visited all of the places I listed in my previous post.

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2014, 07:43:38 AM »

Offline kai #2

« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2014, 07:53:20 AM »

Why'd you leave and where do you live now? I think Peru will be a nice place bit I'm not sure how much I'd like to live there. What are the people and the women like?

I used to live in Trujillo (from 2008 to 2012). I never lived in Lima, but I have been there several times. I have visited all of the places I listed in my previous post.

Offline Gavan

« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2014, 08:49:09 AM »
Why'd you leave and where do you live now? I think Peru will be a nice place bit I'm not sure how much I'd like to live there. What are the people and the women like?

I left because I broke up with my Peruvian girlfriend. Now I am back in Belgium (I am Belgian).

Is Peru a good place to live? Well, it depends. It is still a 3rd world country with a lot of problems (like very high crime levels) but I enjoyed my time there. There are good areas in Peru (the wealthier parts of Lima: Miraflores, Barranco, San Isidro, La Molina, etc.) where you feel like you are in a developed country and they are fairly safe as well. Outside of Lima Peru is still fairly undeveloped, but personally I don't mind that. I do think most people from the US or Western Europe wouldn't like to live there though.

You will find good and bad people in Peru, just like everywhere else really. I made some good friends and met nice women there as well, but there are also plenty of not so nice Peruvians.

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5871
Latest: ponttbryr
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 133128
Total Topics: 7864
Most Online Today: 302