It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

+-

+-PL Gallery Random Image

Author Topic: Spotting the scammers and gold diggers on the Cupid sites  (Read 33102 times)

Offline Hector_Lavoe

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Spotting the scammers and gold diggers on the Cupid sites
« on: July 18, 2016, 03:41:43 AM »
This topic has been done before but I am looking for some input on the latest and greatest in spotting women who are on the cupid sites with ulterior motives (e.g., prostitutes, gold diggers and/or green card sharks).

In another thread Benjio pointed out that he knows quite a few guys that have communicated with women on Brazilian Cupid prior to visiting Brazil. Once they met up in person, the women made it clear they were there for pay for play.

There are some very obvious ones to avoid: the 22 year old whose desired age range is 18 to 99 or a woman whose primary photo is her in a bikini bent over the hood of a car. Some women have more nuanced approaches and those are harder to spot upfront.

What about ladies like this:

Lady No. 1:
Her profile says she is 38 with a desired age range of 34 to 46. No other characteristics about her desired guy/date are filled out. Her profile says she is single, no kids, lives with friends and is self-employed. I send one message to her on CC and she replies with, "Como estas. Mi WhatsApp es: XXX-XXXX."

She looks classy in her photos and she did actually "view" my profile. But I am not at all convinced. Right or wrong I take a "guilty until proven innocent" approach in these situations. I sense she is a pro looking to build her client base. Am I too paranoid and/or over thinking this one?

Lady No. 2:
This girl is legit but could be a green card shark. She has a full profile with a clear interest/desire for a gringo husband. She is 28 years old with a desired age range of 28 to 47. The caveats on this one are she clearly says she wants no kids as they could impede her goals.

In communicating with her she told me she attended university for a while in Panama but had to stop to work. Her "goals" are marry a gringo, get a job as a flight attendant and finish university. She seems pretty self-absorbed...not a lot of questions/inquiries about me. Not too worried about it as she went silent on me on WhatsApp a few days ago. Probably found a bigger/better deal.

Her primary photo on her profile was classy but she did have another one that was more revealing. Made me think something could be up but I can't say for sure (see below. will be deleted in a few days).
http://i1139.photobucket.com/albums/n544/basketcase2/Cupid/P03.jpg

Offline cdr1974

Re: Spotting the scammers and gold diggers on the Cupid sites
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2016, 05:57:37 AM »
This topic has been done before but I am looking for some input on the latest and greatest in spotting women who are on the cupid sites with ulterior motives (e.g., prostitutes, gold diggers and/or green card sharks).

In another thread Benjio pointed out that he knows quite a few guys that have communicated with women on Brazilian Cupid prior to visiting Brazil. Once they met up in person, the women made it clear they were there for pay for play.

There are some very obvious ones to avoid: the 22 year old whose desired age range is 18 to 99 or a woman whose primary photo is her in a bikini bent over the hood of a car. Some women have more nuanced approaches and those are harder to spot upfront.

Lady No. 1:
Her profile says she is 38 with a desired age range of 34 to 46. No other characteristics about her desired guy/date are filled out. Her profile says she is single, no kids, lives with friends and is self-employed. I send one message to her on CC and she replies with, "Como estas. Mi WhatsApp es: XXX-XXXX."

She looks classy in her photos and she did actually "view" my profile. But I am not at all convinced. Right or wrong I take a "guilty until proven innocent" approach in these situations. I sense she is a pro looking to build her client base. Am I too paranoid and/or over thinking this one?

Lady No. 2:
This girl is legit but could be a green card shark. She has a full profile with a clear interest/desire for a gringo husband. She is 28 years old with a desired age range of 28 to 47. The caveats on this one are she clearly says she wants no kids as they could impede her goals.

In communicating with her she told me she attended university for a while in Panama but had to stop to work. Her "goals" are marry a gringo, get a job as a flight attendant and finish university. She seems pretty self-absorbed...not a lot of questions/inquiries about me. Not too worried about it as she went silent on me on WhatsApp a few days ago. Probably found a bigger/better deal.

Her primary photo on her profile was classy but she did have another one that was more revealing. Made me think something could be up but I can't say for sure (see below. will be deleted in a few days).

Both girls to me are not serious at all, both appear to be gold diggers and personally i would stay way away from girls like that. In my experience of using cupid, they do tend to give out their numbers pretty soon, mostly on the second or third message you sent them or reply to. I do not see this as a red flag.

Once I get them on whatsapp, if i message them and they do not reply in a day or so, I delete them, if they are obviously not interested, then why should I, NEVER chase these girls, YOU are the catch, not them!!!! I also delete girls who hide their profile;e picture on whatsapp.... Why would a genuine girl do this? Also i am suspicious of girls who also do not have READ receipts ticked, again, why would a genuine girl do this?

I do believe they are very easy to spot the gold diggers but it is painstaking on the cupid sites. If someone is genuinely interested in you she will respond to your messages in a timely manner (not days later) She will ask you questions about your life etc etc, If a girl does not ask me any questions about my life etc etc after chatting a few days I ignore her, she is OBVIOUSLY NOT interested in me, that is the way I see it, i could be wrong though

Offline buencamino3

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2016, 09:04:39 AM »
Hector I believe 18 to 99 is the default setting and if the girl doesn't bother to set a desired age range that's what will appear. I think the only way for a guy up there to use the cupido sites efficiently is to start communication two or three weeks before coming to Colombia where you can meet in person. Girls from those sites who will be up for long term communication prior to meeting are very likely unattractive, have four kids or very good looking and hoping for "giros". The latter won't be at all interested in meeting in person when you come down. Also it is pointless to make any judgements based on their profile posts. Wait until you meet them in person to judge their level of sincerity. Regarding green card sharks it's important to keep firmly in mind that getting to the US is not in any way incidental. It is a principal goal of girls who sign up with agencies or cupido. I have been told that by them and a Colombian agency owner many, many times. Falling in love and having a house with a white picket fence would just be icing on the cake.

The girl whose picture you posted: somebody bought her a nice set of boobs...
Hermosamente feliz

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2016, 09:04:39 AM »

Offline Hector_Lavoe

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2016, 09:13:34 AM »

Good info. Yeah, I noticed that too. HaHa. Definitely makes you wonder how or under what circumstances she obtained them.

I know she was also recently in the U.S. on vacation...she sent me a photo of herself at Disneyland. So something doesn't add up. She can afford to come to the US on vacation yet had trouble finishing the university? I don't know. Doesn't really matter as I won't be chasing after her.

Offline Hector_Lavoe

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2016, 09:16:31 AM »

I also delete girls who hide their profile;e picture on whatsapp.... Why would a genuine girl do this?

I do believe they are very easy to spot the gold diggers but it is painstaking on the cupid sites. If someone is genuinely interested in you she will respond to your messages in a timely manner (not days later) She will ask you questions about your life etc etc, If a girl does not ask me any questions about my life etc etc after chatting a few days I ignore her, she is OBVIOUSLY NOT interested in me, that is the way I see it, i could be wrong though

Agreed.

I also delete girls who hide their profile;e picture on whatsapp.... Why would a genuine girl do this?

Yeah, I recently contacted a girl from Medellin. No profile picture in her WhatsApp until after the first or second message that I sent her?  Is that the kind of thing you are referring to?

Offline cdr1974

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2016, 09:54:48 AM »
Agreed.

Yeah, I recently contacted a girl from Medellin. No profile picture in her WhatsApp until after the first or second message that I sent her?  Is that the kind of thing you are referring to?

That may be fine to be honest, it when she hides it and then does not and then does again, I have seen this with girl and often think..... something fishy going on here, why would you hide your profile pic on whatsapp, to me no need to, even if its a picture of a beach or something, you would have something there.

I have seen it all on whatsapp, I met one girl whilst in Bogota, she was constantly hiding her profile pic, not reading my messages for days or did not respond, when I said i have had enough of her and cant be bothered with her, she said " no mi vida, todo es bien, yo muy intresado en ti" I replied.......... SI COMO NO...... NO MI MOLESTES POR FAVOUR

I go with my gut feeling, if it looks suspect, more than likely is unless your someone who is very paranoid. I will not chase a girl if after I have send her messages and she does not reply for days, whats the point? delete her number and move onto the next, best way to be. As i said earlier, we are the catch, not them, but many of them are to dumb to realize that........... they may have the looks, but we have the better life by far.................

Offline benjio

• Spouse's Country: Brazil
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2016, 10:08:32 AM »

YOU MEAN THOSE AREN'T REAL?!!!!  :o :o :o ;D ;D ;D

Offline Hector_Lavoe

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2016, 10:41:16 AM »
That may be fine to be honest, it when she hides it and then does not and then does again, I have seen this with girl and often think..... something fishy going on here, why would you hide your profile pic on whatsapp, to me no need to, even if its a picture of a beach or something, you would have something there.

Yep, looks like Girl No. 1 is legit based on her replies and photo, etc. I do over think/get paranoid. But better safe than sorry.

Unfortunately, the close up shot of her on WhatsApp is not nearly as appealing as her profile photos on C.C. Blonde gal from Medellin which is not my usual forte. Come on Medellin....give me a reason to come down for a visit!

I go with my gut feeling, if it looks suspect, more than likely is unless your someone who is very paranoid. I will not chase a girl if after I have send her messages and she does not reply for days, whats the point? delete her number and move onto the next, best way to be. As i said earlier, we are the catch, not them, but many of them are to dumb to realize that........... they may have the looks, but we have the better life by far.................

I think that is the right attitude CDR...

We certainly have more at risk when/if bringing a girl back to the U.K., USA, etc. Still wishing I could find a way to go expat....even if it were just for a year or two.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 10:58:54 AM by Hector_Lavoe »

Gato4Astrid

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2016, 11:40:18 AM »

A girl whom I met in ACG (Maria Paula).  I met her again on my 2nd visit to Cali.  I do not have a chemistry with her, but she is a great friend with me.  Anyway, she got very big boobs too.   Her mother paid it for her on her 18th birthday.  I never asked for the question, her mother told me  LOL.  She was actually very shy girl.

Gato4Astrid

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2016, 11:42:55 AM »

Once I get them on whatsapp, if i message them and they do not reply in a day or so, I delete them, if they are obviously not interested, then why should I,

Same here !!   Not long ago, one girl got upset that I had deleted her in whatapps buit  had forgotten to do it in skype too.  Claimed that she was very busy with work.  I told her that she HAD the time visiting cupid page!

Gato4Astrid

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2016, 11:44:05 AM »

Lady No. 1:

I got that very often too - non serious women.   I also wouldn't accept anyone who put their skype name in their headlines.  Obviously too many competions¬

Gato4Astrid

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2016, 11:47:15 AM »
Ladies who showed INTERESTS in me without ever viewing my profile is a NO GO !!!

Many of them asked me where I am from !!! 

Ladies who make FALSE profile is also a NO GO.  They kept telling me that they are hiding their ex-boyfriends!  I replied and asked them if their photos are also fakle ??!!!  (Their ex-boyfriends must be blind then)

Offline benjio

• Spouse's Country: Brazil
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2016, 03:24:30 PM »
When it came to the guys I met in Rio I would usually just shake my head when they showed me the girls' profiles or even just pictures of them. It's like, "Dude...seriously?" We all know how the pro working girls look in Latin America. Honestly, how many of those comic book character built women do you see walking around holding hands with their boyfriends. You usually never even see them during the day!!! They're sleep because they work all night! Even on Instagram. None of these women EVER take pictures with men...because every man in their lives that isn't immediate family is a client. We all know the type. Colombia and Brazil are full of them. Super long hair (often extensions). Big, fake balloon breasts on a super small lipo-suctioned frames. Huge, unproportionately sized implanted or fat injected a$$es, horrible nose jobs, too much makeup, Designer bags, etc. There are times when these girls look perfectly normal, but when a guy shows me pictures of a girl he met online with those characteristics and it turns out she's a prostitute it's sort of difficult for me to feel sorry for them.

I'd honestly give the girl in that picture the benefit of the doubt if there weren't any other red flags. She looks a bit young but a lot of girls in Colombia get breast implants. Doesn't necessarily mean they are working girls. I've known girls that worked and saved for months to pay for them.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 03:27:59 PM by benjio »

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2016, 03:24:30 PM »

Offline Awesome

• Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2016, 08:03:36 PM »
As i said earlier, we are the catch, not them, but many of them are to dumb to realize that........... they may have the looks, but we have the better life by far.................

Jaja!!  Sure buddy, keep telling yourself that...

Offline Hector_Lavoe

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2016, 11:02:44 PM »

Many of them asked me where I am from !!! 

That is being too harsh. The cute ones will be getting hundreds of e-mails. You can't expect them to remember every single detail about your profile (at first). I've gotten this question from several women who were very sincere.

Offline Hector_Lavoe

« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2016, 11:31:33 PM »
I have a horrible track record in online dating. Wish it weren't the case but it is what it is.

I've done professional photos, etc. Still find much more success in person. Not going to take this online game too seriously. I'll play the game, who knows I might get lucky but I'll focus on other avenues...

Met a 28 year lady from Barranquilla on C.C. the other day. Profile photos revealed a very nice figure and what appeared to be a cute face. We finally skyped today and I nearly fell out of my chair, in a bad way. Yikes! Not what the doctor ordered at all. Very nice/sincere woman. But not for me.

And I forgot all about the Costeno Spanish. I could hardly understand her at all. Man, I've got some seller's remorse on the Nica I met in Managua in 2015. She was cute, sweet and I could understand her. What else does a guy need? JaJaJa.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 11:33:42 PM by Hector_Lavoe »

Offline cdr1974

« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2016, 12:00:21 AM »

Jaja!!  Sure buddy, keep telling yourself that...

Is that meant to be sarcastic?  Someone once told me that and I thought it was a good view on this dating scene

Offline Awesome

« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2016, 04:35:35 PM »
Is that meant to be sarcastic?  Someone once told me that and I thought it was a good view on this dating scene

Well first of all you say "we" as if you're categorizing yourself with a bunch of other men you know little to nothing about.  Then you say "we have the better life by far".  I understand that to mean that you have more money than these women.  So basically what you're saying is that money is the only thing that you bring to the table and for that you expect these Colombian women to be chasing after you, and the ones who don't chase after you are "too dumb".  But then you reject the ones who are gold diggers.

So which is it?  Do you want women to be smart and chase you for your money or do you not want women to be smart and chase you for your money?  Or do you want a woman who chases you for your money but acts like she actually cares for you?

Anyway I think you need to relax a little bit and stop being so emotionally serious.  You describe how you unfriend and delete all these women who don't reply to you the same day.  Why is that such a big deal to you?  It seems like you're only looking for a woman who wants to get married right now today and make you the center of her universe just because you're some England guy with a bunch of money.  Relax.  Take it easy and just go with the flow.  I say when you meed a nice girl try to get her on skype as soon as possible, that's the only way you'll get to know someone from afar.  Sit back and enjoy the ride instead of being so serious and stressed out.

Offline cdr1974

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2016, 05:52:30 AM »

Well first of all you say "we" as if you're categorizing yourself with a bunch of other men you know little to nothing about.  Then you say "we have the better life by far".  I understand that to mean that you have more money than these women.  So basically what you're saying is that money is the only thing that you bring to the table and for that you expect these Colombian women to be chasing after you, and the ones who don't chase after you are "too dumb".  But then you reject the ones who are gold diggers.

So which is it?  Do you want women to be smart and chase you for your money or do you not want women to be smart and chase you for your money?  Or do you want a woman who chases you for your money but acts like she actually cares for you?

Anyway I think you need to relax a little bit and stop being so emotionally serious.  You describe how you unfriend and delete all these women who don't reply to you the same day.  Why is that such a big deal to you?  It seems like you're only looking for a woman who wants to get married right now today and make you the center of her universe just because you're some England guy with a bunch of money.  Relax.  Take it easy and just go with the flow.  I say when you meed a nice girl try to get her on skype as soon as possible, that's the only way you'll get to know someone from afar.  Sit back and enjoy the ride instead of being so serious and stressed out.

Sorry to say this Awesome but you could not be further away from the truth. Firstly i am a normal guy, I am not loaded.

I am relaxed about all of this, we now how these girls are, many have such a chip on their shoulder, have these wild and ridiculous dreams that are far from reality, it is the same across the world, not just in Colombia.

If a girl does not respond to a whatsapp message within 24 hours then why bother chasing her? even worse when she has read the message and just could not be bothered replying, yes, we all can have busy moments in our day, but it is plain ignorant not to respond unless she obviously does not want to, that is normally the real reason. Do not think it is me who only thinks that, surely!!!

Offline Awesome

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2016, 12:28:50 PM »

Sorry to say this Awesome but you could not be further away from the truth. Firstly i am a normal guy, I am not loaded.

I am relaxed about all of this, we now how these girls are, many have such a chip on their shoulder, have these wild and ridiculous dreams that are far from reality, it is the same across the world, not just in Colombia.

If a girl does not respond to a whatsapp message within 24 hours then why bother chasing her? even worse when she has read the message and just could not be bothered replying, yes, we all can have busy moments in our day, but it is plain ignorant not to respond unless she obviously does not want to, that is normally the real reason. Do not think it is me who only thinks that, surely!!!

Just to give you another point of view.  I'm usually the one who doesn't reply right away when women send me messages.  Some times I reply within the hour, some times within the week, but a reply is a reply.

You obviously feel like if she doesn't reply right away that she's rejecting you and you get your feelings hurt.  What you need to realize is that she DOESN'T EVEN KNOW YOU.  Maybe it takes a lady time to warm up to you and want to reply to you more frequently.

With all due respect you seem highly emotional and insecure.  Try to enjoy the whole process.  Enjoy corresponding with attractive women.  You seem to fit the profile of the "cold calculating gringo" stereotype, and that attitude is only going to leave you frustrated when dealing with latin women.

Gato4Astrid

« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2016, 02:19:31 AM »
That is being too harsh. The cute ones will be getting hundreds of e-mails. You can't expect them to remember every single detail about your profile (at first). I've gotten this question from several women who were very sincere.

My point exactly.............

Gato4Astrid

« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2016, 02:22:08 AM »

Then how come you are still LOOKING.  Very sincere?   

Offline Hector_Lavoe

« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2016, 02:27:59 AM »

Then how come you are still LOOKING.  Very sincere?

Because some guys have options and don't just jump on the first, second, third, etc. girl who expresses sincere interest in them.

Planet-Love.com

« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2016, 02:27:59 AM »

Offline cdr1974

« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2016, 04:42:18 AM »

Just to give you another point of view.  I'm usually the one who doesn't reply right away when women send me messages.  Some times I reply within the hour, some times within the week, but a reply is a reply.

You obviously feel like if she doesn't reply right away that she's rejecting you and you get your feelings hurt.  What you need to realize is that she DOESN'T EVEN KNOW YOU.  Maybe it takes a lady time to warm up to you and want to reply to you more frequently.

With all due respect you seem highly emotional and insecure.  Try to enjoy the whole process.  Enjoy corresponding with attractive women.  You seem to fit the profile of the "cold calculating gringo" stereotype, and that attitude is only going to leave you frustrated when dealing with latin women.

If a girl did not reply to my message within a week she would be history for sure unless she had a VALID reason not to do so. That is dam right ignorant, I have been brought up differently and personally Awesome if you take a week to reply to a girl then maybe you need to learn the meaning of being ignorant! unless of course you had genuine reason why you did not reply or could not.

I do not get my feeling hurt at all, I just move on, her loss not mine! that is the best way to be to overcome it. Way to many decent ladies there to be wasting my time on someone who cannot be bothered to reply, more so when you see her online in whatsapp and 2 days later she still aint replied, now tell me that is not ignorant!!!

Offline Awesome

« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2016, 12:32:50 PM »

If a girl did not reply to my message within a week she would be history for sure unless she had a VALID reason not to do so. That is dam right ignorant, I have been brought up differently and personally Awesome if you take a week to reply to a girl then maybe you need to learn the meaning of being ignorant! unless of course you had genuine reason why you did not reply or could not.

I do not get my feeling hurt at all, I just move on, her loss not mine! that is the best way to be to overcome it. Way to many decent ladies there to be wasting my time on someone who cannot be bothered to reply, more so when you see her online in whatsapp and 2 days later she still aint replied, now tell me that is not ignorant!!!

Just because you, as a person she doesn't know at all, aren't a main priority for her right this very second doesn't mean that you can't become a priority for her later on down the road.  You never know what the other persona is currently going through in their life.  Sometimes it takes time to realize that you want to focus your attention on a certain person.  And I don't know why you're worried about "wasting time" messaging women.  It only takes like 2 seconds to send a text message.

Sponsor Twr1R

PL Stats

Members
Total Members: 5876
Latest: ponttfsch
New This Month: 4
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 133129
Total Topics: 7864
Most Online Today: 195